Racing games

Posted by Megatron

I currently have:
Mario Kart 64
F-Zero X
San Fran: Rush
Diddy Kong Racing

What are some other good racing games for the N64?

Posted by Dexter

I have all of those plus many more. I would say you have the best, honestly. San Francisco Rush has got to be my favorite, even though I understand how many would and do find it of moderately low quality. I think it is because I have found many slightly unique ways of playing the game that has been bringing me back to it for many years. Of course, if you don't have another player, it isn't as grand. I don’t recommend the sequel. I didn't think it was as good.

Snowboard Kids is a blast, but I'm not sure if that is the sort of racing game you are looking for.

Posted by Megatron

Quoting Dexter: I have all of those plus many more. I would say you have the best, honestly. San Francisco Rush has got to be my favorite, even though I understand how many would and do find it of moderately low quality. I think it is because I have found many slightly unique ways of playing the game that has been bringing me back to it for many years. Of course, if you don't have another player, it isn't as grand. I don’t recommend the sequel. I didn't think it was as good.

Snowboard Kids is a blast, but I'm not sure if that is the sort of racing game you are looking for.

Do you mean like just messing around in the track with the big park and launching yourself up into the air and trying to land? If you do then I love that. :D

There are some great ways to entertain yourself in the first Rush game. I have been thinking about picking up one of the sequels do it but I didn't know if they were any good. I have also heard some good things about Beetle Adventure Racing or something like that.

I have Snowboard Kids 2. I picked it up a few years ago after someone told me it was good and he wasn't lying!

The racing games that I am looking for are mostly the ones were you race on the street. Maybe an F1 racer if I see a lot of people say good things about it.

I remember renting a Top Gear game back in 98 and I didn't really enjoy it that much but looking back I didn't enjoy it because I just wanted to race around and never take my thumb off the gas. I have since grown to not only play like that and I can't remember of that game was even good. All I remember was hitting every wall and driving a car that looked like a banana.

Posted by inequity

there is also F1 pole postion, I have it but only played it once. Its quite good.

Also theres destruction derby, but I dont think thats officially a racing game....

Posted by D.J Cat

Yeah, both the Snowboard Kids games are great.

Beetle Adventure Racing (or HSV Adventure Racing if your in Australia) was one of the funnest racing games I've ever played. It definatley lives up to the adventure part and the racing part should still satisfy most people.

Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding and Excitebike 64 are all great "semi-realistic" racing games, with just the right mix between realism and fun.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Megatron: Do you mean like just messing around in the track with the big park and launching yourself up into the air and trying to land? If you do then I love that. :D

That is enjoyable, especially on the balloon mode, which I always play with. One of the ways I like playing is two players on the 24-race mode (tournament?) in balloon mode, death mode, and changing the cones to mines. My playing partner and I will both get ourselves a partner and try to protect them throughout the races while killing everyone else. I have become a seriously sadistic killer while playing this way, and it has plenty of charm to keep me coming back. Of course, some of the GameShark codes are what keeps the game interesting. Without the GameShark, I doubt I would enjoy the game as much. It really makes things easier and more enjoyable.

And no, none of the other Rush games were as much fun, in my opinion. It is easily arguable, though. Rush 2 had a very satisfying course specifically designed for jumping. The better and more you jump successfully, the more points you get. That is also worth checking out, but again, it isn’t much unless you have another player for competition.

I remember getting Tog Gear for the Nintendo 64. I absolutely adored the Top Gear game for my Super Nintendo, so when the 64 version came out I was really excited. I was disappointed, though. The Super Nintendo version is superior.

Posted by legov8

These are the ones I have. Automobili Lamborghini, California Speed, Cruis'n Exotica, Cruis'n World, Destruction Derby, Hot Wheels Turbo Racing, Mario Kart 64, Micro Machines 64 Turbo, Nascar 2000, Off Road Challenge 2000, Re-Volt, Road Rash 64, Rush 2, and Stunt Racer 64. The ones I would like would be pretty much all the other racing games. (Besides Diddy Kong Racing)

Posted by Dexter

I almost forgot about Road Rash 64. I have that one and used to play it with my sister frequently, along with the original we had for Sega. The handicapped mode that is forced into the game is a major problem, though, and it keeps me from recommending this game or going back to playing it. If only there was a way to turn that off. Many people enjoy how the game has such a powerful handicap mode in the game, but I think it would have been much better off if it came with an option to turn it off. Maybe there's one I can dig up with a code using the GameShark.

Posted by Megatron

Handicap?

I'll check out the 2nd Rush game just for that one course you talked about. The game is probably selling for $5 at used places so even if I just enjoy that one course I'll get my $5 worth I think.

Beetle Adventure is another one I'll check out and I completely forgot about Excitebike 64! I loved the first one on the NES. I'd spend so much time making my own course to race on and back then my Boy Scout meetings would almost always end up with all of us around the TV playing that game.

Posted by D.J Cat

Another game I think might be worth mentioning is Penny Racers.

I got this game mid 2004, and from what I played of it it was quite fun.
You can do rolls around the corners and the music is quite addictive.
If you finish in the top 3 you get to steal parts of whoever finished in the bottom 3.
So what you can get is fully cutomizable machines, and you upgrade as you go throught the harder...things.
Also a great feuture is you can make your own tracks!
We had great fun with this, so many possibilities.
You probably need a memory card to get the most of this game (it takes up about 60 pages) , but if you do its well worth it.

Posted by legov8

Do'H I accidentally deleated my first one. I will say this again: Automobili Lamborghini, California Speed, Cruis'n Exotica, Destruction Derby, Mario Kart 64, Micro Machines 64 Turbo, Nascar 2000, and Off Road Challenge 2000. The Ones I want are ExciteBike, Indy Racing 2000, Ridge Racer, Road Rash, and World Driver Championchip.
(Thanks for the comment Dexter.)

Posted by Dexter

Penny Racers was my sister's favorite 64 racing game, I believe. We borrowed it from a friend and after about two weeks of it I just bought it from him. Great, simple game. I'm surprised I dismissed it.

Posted by Megatron

I looked for Penny Racers on ebay and only found one copy. It must be a very hard to find game.

Posted by Xero

My racing games are:

Mario Kart
Diddy Kong Racing
and Exited bike.

I like them all, but I get tired of exited bike... :devil:

Posted by mario64ds

my fav would have to be mario kart 64 and diddy kong racing. i would play them with my friends for hours

Posted by Saihig

No one's mentioned Extreme-G! I really liked those. The 3rd one sucked.

Posted by Dexter

The Extreme-G games are horrible, I say. The first one had its moments at the time because it felt like something new and there didn't seem to be anything else like it at the time, but it grew old fast and didn't hold up to other racing games that were being released, like F-Zero X. Extreme-G 2 seemed worst than the first, especially that battle multiplayer mode. Oh, what a nightmarish display that was. It didn't stand a chance against Twisted Metal for the PlayStation. I only played Extreme-G 3 for about 2 hours and it was awful.

I don't think Top Gear was mentioned in this thread either and it was far better than Extreme-G.

Posted by Saihig

Yeah the battle mode was lame but that was kinda like just an extra they put in there. Extreme-G is about the racing. The problem with F-zero X was you didn't really, interact with others that much. Just bumped into eachother every now and then. Also a game at that speed is kind of hard not only when the screen is divided by four but also alot of the levels you couldn't see as far ahead as normally. Plus no weapon system. :) (best racing game without weapon system = excite bike 64) Extreme-G stayed at a smooth frame rate even with four people and without sacrificing elements from the game itself. And like Mario Kart, if you do it with just two people you can play the grand prix mode. My only problem with Extreme-G was I couldn't find anyone who could give me a real challenge. Except for my cousin who was also pretty good at it but lives too far away so I hardly see him. Extreme-G 2 had a more realistic feel to it so you had to play differently as far as cornering goes but still good stuff.