Looking for good punk/ rock goups

Posted by RAHU

does any one know of any good punk and/or rock groups, you'd really be helping me out thanks

Posted by 007 ninja

music forum

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Authority Zero
Ramones

etc.

Posted by The Judge

Metallica of course. :)

Now wait, does metal tie into this or not?

Posted by Shin-Ra

Check out Venom's Black Metal album. I've always thought their earlier stuff sounded more punk than metal.

Other than that, I have the obvious picks of Flogging Molly and The Misfits. I'm not a big fan of the latter, but Flogging Molly is interesting enough to push as a recommendation if you haven't heard them already. Drunken Lullabies is especially good.

As for rock, Porcupine Tree (In Absentia, mostly) is a great band who's gaining popularity around these boards (and offline too I suppose?). The Quill (Hooray! It's a Deathtrip), A Perfect Circle (Mer De Noms) and Anathema (Judegment) are also quite good.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting RAHU: does any one know of any good punk and/or rock groups, you'd really be helping me out thanks

If you were more specific and didn't use terms than include, say, 75% of modern music, then I could help more.

Posted by Richaod

DREAM THEATRE ARE TEH BEST!

Well, I thought it'd be better for me to say it jokingly than for someone else to come in with a serious list of about 50 of their best songs.

Anyway, no general rock fan can resist Rage Against The Machine. Their first self-titled album is probably their best, and Bombtrack, Killing In The Name and Freedom are just classics. Note that the vocals are pretty unashamedly rapped, but it's nothing like rap metal (and not nearly as scorned, too).

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Bad Religion is the best punk band out there

Posted by Klarth

Richaod, it's not even funny to joke about the whole bandwagon thing, particularly when you're one of the people accused of bandwagoning.

Bad Religion are pretty **** good. However, if you're referring to "punk" acts like Green Day and Blink 182, get off my internet. They're honestly not worth considering music.

I actually recommend Devin Townsend, oddly enough. The stuff's *technically* metal, but there's such diversity in the songs that you can't help but notice that some of the songs are very... Punk-ish.

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

That is kind of a toughy, I would say if your looking for good "punk" music to check out Mindless Self Indulgence (Thanks Derick for getting me into this band)

And for a "Rock/metal" band I would reccommend Kittie, their an all girl Metal/rock (depends on what era of their music you listen to) that just plain kicks ***.

Posted by G-Sides

The best punk band that begins with 'Bad' is Bad Brains. :mad:

Check out Agent Orange or The Vandals.

Posted by Richaod

Has it occurred to anyone else (apart from Majesty) that he may be on about pop-punk?

In which case, you've all just completely wasted your time.

Posted by RAHU

i was talking about bands like Billy Talent or Anti-flag, and for the reccord,

GREEN DAY SUX ***!!!!!

Posted by powerpuff

tenacious D

Posted by rivercitytecmo

billy talent or anti-flag? redonkulous to put those two bands together.

i'm a general rock fan and i hate rage against the machine.

swingin' utters, frenzal rhomb, groovie ghoulies, american steel.

Posted by auzzman5151

dropkick murphys
social distortion
circle jerks
mighty mighty bosstones
misfits
reel big fish
rancid
authority zero
less than jake
mxpx
nofx
alkaline trio
bouncing souls
bad religion

Posted by Mixhael

I'll second Bad Brains, Bad Religion, Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, Misfits, and NOFX since they've been mentioned.

Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, and U.S. Bombs are great. Fugazi and OperationIvy are punk with a little ska. I'm not sure if Danzig or X count as metal or punk, but yeah check them out.

Posted by SavingJoesph

Im gonna go with BFS and maybe a little GMS and maybe some FCK and possibly some Saving Johnny

Posted by rivercitytecmo

maybe i'm reading that wrong, but fugazi doesn't have any elements of ska.

Posted by Kaise Suratu

BLINK-182!!! BLINKY IS TEH BESTEST!!!!!!!!!!!!11! BLINK 182 FOREVERZ..... CAN"T BELIEVE THERE BREAKING UP! OMG!!
**(((Sarcasim))**

Posted by s0ul

oll the metalheads can't suggest non-metal bands :(

skunk > punk

Posted by Flying Ninja Squirls

Here ar some older ones:

Ramones
The Clash
the Sex Pistols

i dont know how old these are but:

Dead Kenadys
The Casualties

And by the way Green Day doesnt suck... well only their newer stuff... like check out their international superits CD. it was made 1994. american idiot CD sucks ***. only good song i like on american idiot is Jesus of suberbia, and thats just for the lyrics.

Posted by Kaise Suratu

Quoting Flying Ninja Squirls: Here ar some older ones:

And by the way Green Day doesnt suck... well only their newer stuff... like check out their international superits CD. it was made 1994. american idiot CD sucks ***. only good song i like on american idiot is Jesus of suberbia, and thats just for the lyrics.

I am a big fan of Green Day. Ever since I heard the song Green Day. There International Greatest Hits is insane. The only thing I disagree with is that American Idiot is great. It's not my favorite album, but I still enjoy that album. Of course I can enjoy a lot of music... Anything but country.

Posted by Arwon

I actually like American Idiot more than anything they've released since Dookie. Shrug. At least it isn't Good Charlotte or Blink182 or anyone like that.

Posted by auzzman5151

I like that whole irish punk sound like Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly. With like the bag pipes and **** like that.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

"international superhits" came out in like 2000, not 1994.

Posted by Arwon

If you're gonna go the Irish punk route, try the Pogues - a band that's actually friggin Irish.

WHEN YOU PI[/b]SSED YERSELF IN FRANKFURT AND GOT SYPH DOWN IN COLOGNE
AND YOU HEARD THE RATTLIN' DEATHTRAIN AS YOU LAID THERE ALL ALONE
FRANK RYAN FED YOU WHISKEY IN A BROTHEL IN MADRID
AND YOU CURSED SOME FU[B]C
KIN BLACKSHIRT WHO WAS CURSIN' ALL THE YIDS

Now that's music.

Posted by Apathetic

The Clash
:)

Posted by MetalVox~55

Do yourself a favor and look into Opeth. :)

Quoting s0ul: oll the metalheads can't suggest non-metal bands :(

**** straight.

Posted by auzzman5151

I cant believe I forgot the Offspring.

Posted by Flounder

wow there are a lot of uneducated people here in the genre of punk...some were right on but not many... the problem today is that bands such as good charlot, greed day, blink 182, montion city sound track, so on and so forth are sadly considered "punk" which they are truly not. so thats why some people said black flag and bad brains (the correct people), where as others said green day and other bands i said above (the wrong people)
some very good street punk and gutter punk bands are:
clit 45
the virus
lower class brats
total chaos
defiance
complete control
the unseen
a global threat
pistol grip
resilience
cheap sex
cropknox
havoc
the bastards
lefover crack (crackrock)
choking victim(crackrock)
INDK(crackrock)
brain failure
the devotchkas
the exploited
f minus
GBH
monster squad
skeptix

I could keep going on and on but i am tired...it dose sadden me that crappy bands can be considerd a certian genre when they truly are not..really dose pollute the scene

Quoting s0ul: oll the metalheads can't suggest non-metal bands :(

skunk > punk

let me correct you skunk>punk(assuming its greeday, blink 182, good charlot, ect)
but
skunk
i <3 you s0ul =D

Posted by rivercitytecmo

the only punk bands that flounder listed that don't blow goat testicles are the three crackrock bands and f-minus.

Posted by Flounder

ur oppinion not myne......i look at it as you liking 3 good bands then dislinking alot of "bad" bands....i thank you for the 3 but say screw you on the rest lol =D

Posted by Poco

Quoting Arwon: If you're gonna go the Irish punk route, try the Pogues - a band that's actually friggin Irish.

WHEN YOU PI[/b]SSED YERSELF IN FRANKFURT AND GOT SYPH DOWN IN COLOGNE
AND YOU HEARD THE RATTLIN' DEATHTRAIN AS YOU LAID THERE ALL ALONE
FRANK RYAN FED YOU WHISKEY IN A BROTHEL IN MADRID
AND YOU CURSED SOME FU[B]C
KIN BLACKSHIRT WHO WAS CURSIN' ALL THE YIDS

Now that's music.

That's the only punk band that I can stand to listen to. So try them, they're ok.

Posted by auzzman5151

Voodoo Glow Skulls, f-ups, and iggy pop and the stooges.

Posted by kaseyrocks

korn systems of the down greenday hawthorn hights

Posted by auzzman5151

Quoted post: korn systems of the down greenday hawthorn hights

Since when have Korn and SOAD been punk rock groups?

Posted by kaseyrocks

listen korn and soad are rock groups

Posted by FaytLeingod99

If you want a hardcore rock group i'd go for Atreyu

Posted by Richaod

Quoting FaytLein***99: If you want a hardcore rock group i'd go for Atreyu

Hehehe.

My personal opinion is that all metalcore fans should be introduced to melodic death metal as soon as possible.

Try getting anything from the albums The Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony, you'll like it.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Richaod: My personal opinion is that all metalcore fans should be introduced to melodic death metal as soon as possible.

My personal opinion is that all people who listen to melodic death metal should stop.

lol get it?

Posted by Gollum

blink 182, green day, the offspring, good charlott, the list goes on for like a really long time

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shin-Ra: My personal opinion is that all people who listen to melodic death metal should stop.

lol get it?

I see what you did there.

and no, I will not.:link:

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

I'm not really a big punk band fan but the Misfits are pretty good. If you buy on of the Misfits cd's, be sure to get "American Psycho". It's there best album.

Metal and Hard Rock are the best genres. WAY better than punk.

If you want metal or hard rock...or just anything better than punk listen to these bands.

Opeth

Metallica

Slipknot

Lamb of G0d

And some classic Hendrix

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: My personal opinion is that all people who listen to melodic death metal should stop.

melodic death metal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> metalcore, and anyone who can't grasp that has problems.