Banjo Kazooie (Key in the walrus cave?)

Posted by Sean Fury

I just started playing BK again, and I came across this key in Freezezzy Peak inside of the walrus' cave (can't remember his name). The key is behind what looks like a wall of ice, and I can't break through it, what am I supposed to do with it?

Posted by Klarth

Nothing.

Basically, the original plan for the game was that when Banjo Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 were released, you'd be able to change cartridge mid-game to collect the key and use it in the sequel / DK64. This was unfortunately scrapped as Rare couldn't figure out a method to allow the gamer to change cart.

http://rarewitchproject.com/specials.php?id=dk64sns
http://rarewitchproject.com/specials.php?id=bkcastlecodes

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Majesty: Nothing.

Basically, the original plan for the game was that when Banjo Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 were released, you'd be able to change cartridge mid-game to collect the key and use it in the sequel / DK64. This was unfortunately scrapped as Rare couldn't figure out a method to allow the gamer to change cart.

http://rarewitchproject.com/specials.php?id=dk64sns
http://rarewitchproject.com/specials.php?id=bkcastlecodes

Thanks for info, it was starting to really bug me. Too bad their idea never went through, maybe if they made a BK and a DK game on the GC they could do it, download memory card data and what-not. I'm sure that would be a big hit.

Posted by Klarth

Rare no longer make games for Nintendo consoles outside of the occasional GBA contribution. They seceded after Starfox Adventures, hence Kameo: Elements of Power is now an Xbox 360 release.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Majesty: Rare no longer make games for Nintendo consoles outside of the occasional GBA contribution. They seceded after Starfox Adventures, hence Kameo: Elements of Power is now an Xbox 360 release.

That sucks, I love Rare, I wonder why I never heard of this *needs to start reading news on all those gaming sites*. Another Banjo game would of been cool...

Posted by Poco

I'm surprised. They left nintendo at the end of 2002.

Posted by speedemon35

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can get the ice key in BK. Remember that huge sand castle? You need to type out a password that will open up the ice wall. I have the key and all of the giant looking eggs. They're of no use in BK, but in BT you can use them all.
Funny the story i read was that Rare wanted to keep this thing about the ice key and the egs a secret in BK and would later on release a second sequel before BT that would allow players to use those items and open up new worlds inside BK. BUt the secrets got leaked out and they decided to abandon the project as a revenge.

Posted by Klarth

Read what it says on Rarewitchproject, it should clean everything up.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Rare was developing Banjo-Kazooie 2 for the 64DD system.

I think you could insert the original cart in the system, and then put in the Expansion disk into the 64DD, then you can get the key.

Posted by Klarth

No, they weren't. Rare never had anything to do with the 64DD. BK was released in 1998, over a year before the N64DD. There couldn't have been any 64DD-compatible code in BK if Rare weren't developing for the console. Also, while the 64DD was Japan-only, Banjo Kazooie was released several months in the USA before it was in Japan. No code was changed except for the language of the game itself, again proving that there was to be no connectivity between the DD and BK.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Banjo Kazooie 2 was in development for the 64DD.

Check this link out. It's to Krisse's 64DD website. Banjo Kazooie 2 is under the unreleased section.

http://www.64dd.net/index.php?page=3

Posted by Klarth

Find me an official source.

Posted by Arczu

The whole "Stop'N'Swap (was that the word?) thing. I remembered that if you were to grab more than two of those eggs, Grunty would erase your save file. Freaked me out.

I was really hoping to see some sort of conclusion with the Ice Key and eggs... because in BT, you get these things out of moving BK gamepaks. You destroy them, pick out the item and go back to these places and use them... I can't remember exactly...

Posted by speedemon35

LOL I grabbed all the eggs and no file was ever deleted. Yep it was called "Stop'N'Swap.
You're prety much correct. In BT you get the items and simply use them. The egs you go and put them in that giant egg looking house where the chicken will hatch the first and kazooie will have to hact the second one after he learns to. The ice key, is used to go into that huge ice cavern with that big locked ice door to get that mega pet that will turn kazooie into a dragon. It's pretty cool burning the hell out of your enemies:D

Posted by Arczu

Quoting speedemon35: Kazooie will have to hatch the second one after he learns to.
According to the game, Kazooie is a female...

And Kazooie as a dragon... what the?

Posted by speedemon35

Sorry my mistake...Well she will have to hatch it. But the general idea can through.
Yes you can turn her into a dragon. You know when you're about to go into that giant amuzement park world?(Think its the third level/world) Right before you enter you see one of those Indian tents outside it. The lady in the tent talks to you about a mega glowbo that will turn kazooie into a dragon. That mega glowbo is locked up inside the huge ice box which can only be opened with the ice key. You can see the huge ice box when you're in that world that is half ice part, half fire part. On the Ice part theres an ice wall and you can see right through it.
Just as a note kazooie doesn't become this huge green dragon. her skin just becomes all green and she can breathe fire. She still has all of her other abilities learned so far

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Quoting Poco: I'm surprised. They left nintendo at the end of 2002.

I was more surprised when all their more notable and tallented staff left Rare to join Free Radical taking all the copy rights to the First Person Shooter formula that made Goldeneye & Perfect Dark so good. So if any one expects the new PD game to handle like PD on the N64, you might be in for a shock.

Posted by Xero

Yeah! I spent a while on this wall too! I finally let go, but I never knew what I was suppose to do. Thanx for the info.

Posted by Bradders

I have recently gone back to this game and seen all the things that were originally planned for the swapping thing. I wish they followed this through as you just get the feeling of the game being incomplete. Maybe they did and there is a certain way it needs to be done....