bosstones

Posted by auzzman5151

Has anyone heard of the band Mighty Mighty Bosstones? They are a ska band. They were formed in the 80s but havent heard much out of them lately. Ive heard something about one of the trumper players being in Jimmy Kimmels band but that its. Info please?

Posted by TheSecondComing

NEV-ER HAD TO KNOCK ON WOOD!

Ska rocks, search Sounds Like Chicken, great Melbourne ska band.

Posted by Corrupt

Quoting TheSecondComing: NEV-ER HAD TO KNOCK ON WOOD!

Haha yeah, that's the only song I've heard by them, but I love it. I'd like to get some more of their stuff, as well as get more into ska. It's a music genre that's always appealed to me, but for some reason I never gave it a real chance.

Quoting Corrupt: Haha yeah, that's the only song I've heard by them, but I love it. I'd like to get some more of their stuff, as well as get more into ska. It's a music genre that's always appealed to me, but for some reason I never gave it a real chance.

Time to start a ska bandwagon here at VGChat ;)

For classic ska, try Madness and the Specials, both English bands.

Madnesses' 'One Step Beyond' is a classic ska record (I have it on vinyl :) ). The title track was actually a hit single in the UK, and 'My Girl' is just waaaanderful.

If you want some more experimental, expansive ska, the second Specials album, 'More Specials', is great (I have it on vinyl :) ). 'Stereotypes' in particular is a great little track.

[URL=http://www.soundslikechicken.com.au/]http://www.soundslikechicken.com.au/[/URL] - Sounds Like Chicken are a local band from my area. They combine ska with hardcore to make very punky dance music. I was talking with one of the guitarists about Futurama at a show once :) .

Posted by Richaod

Futurama > everything

Can someone just describe to me a bit about the genre? I've basically just heard weird things like "sometimes they have trombone players!"

Posted by auzzman5151

Quoted post: Can someone just describe to me a bit about the genre? I've basically just heard weird things like "sometimes they have trombone players!"

Its basically like raggae guitar licks with symphonic instruments like trumpets and trumbones.

Quoting Richaod: Futurama > everything

Can someone just describe to me a bit about the genre? I've basically just heard weird things like "sometimes they have trombone players!"

Its like faster reggae. As far as theory goes, it usually has sort of regular notes on bass or guitar, played on the 'and' beats. And trombones and trumpets are usually involved, perhaps a keyboard or a sax. Very danceable music.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

wow. "Has anyone heard of the band Mighty Mighty Bosstones?". just wow. once again, i think one thing about your average person and it's way off.

anywho, they were popular when i was in about 8th or 9th grade, which is like 8 or 9 years ago. they were even on "saturday night live"; i'm pretty sure it was the episode that chris farley hosted. they're fairly mediocre, imo, but most ska is as it's all derivative of itself, what with the "waves" ("first wave", "second wave", etc.).

some other ska bands i like are:
the slackers
mad caddies
hepcat
choking victim

it's been a long time since i've been really into it, though.

Posted by auzzman5151

Reel Big Fish is a good ska-punk band. But Madness? I dont understand them as ska. Theyre more new wave or retro.

Quoting auzzman5151: Reel Big Fish is a good ska-punk band. But Madness? I dont understand them as ska. Theyre more new wave or retro.

Reel Big Fish covered 'Take On Me' :)

Madness are definitely ska. 'One Step Beyond' is a ska landmark. The music fufils all theory technicalities and everything.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

madness is as ska as ska can be. don't judge them based solely on "our house".

Posted by Flounder

i have seen mmb several times..they rocked hard. and the band members are cool guys..

thank *** for another ska thread. i thought there was only dream theater