360 Shortages

Posted by Axis

[Quote=Gamespot]Xbox 360 shortages, $76 per-console-loss predicted.
------------------------
Microsoft executive says demand for the new console will outstrip supply; analysts predict company will only charge $299 for $375 worth of hardware.

For the past several months, many gamers looking to pick up an Xbox have found the machine in curiously short supply. Today, a Microsoft executive implied that a similar drought of product may occur later with the company's next-generation game console.

Speaking to British game-industry magazine [URL=http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=271]MCV[/URL] British Xbox boss Neil Thompson said demand could outstrip supply when Xbox 360 launches later this year. "I think demand is going to be phenomenal so we see that as a really difficult thing," he told MCV. "Will we execute well so retail will have good volume? Yes. But I don't think we're going to meet demand as people are going to come into this platform in a big way."

When asked for comment by GameSpot, an official Microsoft spokesperson issued the following silver-tongued response: "We're aware that demand for Xbox 360 will be at a fever pitch, and we're working with our manufacturing partners to ensure that gamers in Europe, North America and Japan will have a great Xbox 360 Christmas this year."

Meanwhile, an analyst report quoted by the Toronto-based newspaper [URL=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050604/RTICKER04-8/TPBusiness/?query=xbox]The Globe and Mail[/URL] (registration required) claims to answer another burning question regarding the Xbox 360. The tech-savvy Canadian daily cited a report by UBS Securities analysts Patrick Parr and Martin Cecchetto, which estimated that Microsoft "will pay its manufacturing partners about $375 (US) a unit and sell them to consumers for $299."

The Toronto Globe and Mail article also said that Microsoft will pay out "between $350 million and $450 million this year and between $900 million and $1.1 billion in 2006" to manufacturers of the console. Divided by the estimated $375 manufacturing price--which will eventually go down--such expenditures would mean Microsoft expects to ship around 933,000 to 1.2 million Xbox 360s in 2005, with another 2.4 million to 3.2 million going to market in 2006. Multiply those figures by the estimated $76 loss Microsoft will take on each Xbox 360, and the company could lose as much as $91.2 million and $243.2 million on console hardware production in 2005 and 2006, respectively.

However, while the analyst report bears the respectable UBS imprimatur, the figures it contains remain estimates, not official numbers. Unfortunately, that's all the public has to go on at the moment, as Microsoft won't go into the financial specifics of the Xbox 360 launch. "We do not comment on rumors or speculation," said the same spokesperson.

By Tor Thorsen -- Gamespot
POSTED: 06/06/05 05:23 PM PST

Good thing I already pre-ordered mine.

[b]EDIT: Source = http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/06/news_6127039.html[/B]

Posted by Klarth

Seeing as they're already making a killing on operating systems and office software, it shouldn't hurt them too much.

Posted by Random

Well it shouldn't really kill them much anyways. They Lost money per each Xbox they sold but they made money overall.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Majesty: Seeing as they're already making a killing on operating systems and office software, it shouldn't hurt them too much.

Of course, Microsoft's entire game department could go bankrupt and Microsoft would still be well WELL in the black.

I'm not worried about the 360's shortage, personally, I have no plans to buy one at launch and with great games still coming out at the end of this year for current consoles my cash flow and Christmas wishes will must likely be directed to them.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Shortages at launch? That's never happened before. I apologize to anyone allergic to sarcasm. You've probably collapsed in convusions.

Posted by Speedfreak

...I wasn't going to pay

Posted by Bebop

I'm in no hurry to get one so this does not affect me.

However I hope the people that DO want one on launch will be able to acquire one.[/lie]

Posted by Ch

Wow. That is almost a 100 Dollar difference. And I've also never heard of shortages at launch until now.

Posted by Sean Fury

Bast.ards, plotting to get even more of our money. Not like most people wouldn't of paid nearly 400 dollars at launch for a 360 anyway =/

Not that I will, fu.ck that, ridiculous. I don't care how good it is, if it nearly costs as much as a fu.cking computer, it better have a monitor attached to it, a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and 100 gig hardrive. I reitterate, bas.tards.

Posted by Axis

That's 300 dollars.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Dyers Eve: That's 300 dollars.

Well, you have to include the fact that you'll want a game to play on your NON-BACKWARDS COMPITABLE Xbox 360 and maybe even a memory card. That's what, 200 more dollars right there?

Seriously, if this system is gonna cost that much, how much will the price of games rise? That'll seriously get some people pis.sed off.

Posted by Soul_Tassadar

[quote]Good thing I already pre-ordered mine.
Ya, same here, of course, I WORK at gamestop, so mine is super cool (well not really) and I might get it a few days early (We get shipments in like 4-5 days before the launch alor of the time.) or with a discount or something. But in any case, mines preordered and ready.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Sean STARWARS Fury]Well, you have to include the fact that you'll want a game to play on your NON-BACKWARDS COMPITABLE Xbox 360 and maybe even a memory card. That's what, 200 more dollars right there?

So that's a hundred-dollar game and a hundred-dollar memory card?

Posted by Axis

Quoting Sean STARWARS Fury: Well, you have to include the fact that you'll want a game to play on your NON-BACKWARDS COMPITABLE Xbox 360 and maybe even a memory card. That's what, 200 more dollars right there?

Seriously, if this system is gonna cost that much, how much will the price of games rise? That'll seriously get some people pis.sed off.

True, but since I have the money right now and absolutely nothing to spend on I might as well pre-order the system and a few games, which I've done.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Dyers Eve: True, but since I have the money right now and absolutely nothing to spend on I might as well pre-order the system and a few games, which I've done.

I wonder if it'd still cost the same if you preordered before this whole...crap?

Posted by Axis

The people at Gamestop (well, Microsoft) haven't given a price on the system but they told if you pay over the limit (e.g. You pay 350 dollars on the console when it's 300) you can you use the extra 50 to buy a controller, memory card, pay for tax, etc. As for me though I'm not putting more that $150 on the console itself and instead I'm going to pay off the 5 games that I want.

When you go in to pre-order the console it shows a list of games that have been confirmed for the 360 such as PDZ, Oblivion, PGR3, Kameo, GR3, etc. (Those are the 5 games I pre-ordered :)) So I recommend to anyone who is thinking about getting one at launch (Which it seems that not too many people here will) to only put about 150 or may'be 200 on the system and then put money aside for yourself and pay the rest of the system off on launch day.

Posted by Sean Fury

Even though preordering is always a great idea, I still think it's all ridiculous. Remember what happened with the PS2 and PStwo? Besides, I think I rather wait awhile and see what bugs and stuff turn up (like the faulty power cord for the Xbox) and etc.

Posted by Klarth

It's not called PStwo. ragh.

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Majesty: It's not called PStwo. ragh.

Yeah, that just happens to be what everyone refers to it as. :rolleyes:

Posted by Axis

Eh, no, I don't happen what happened to the PSone and PS2, elaborate. :)

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting Dyers Eve: Eh, no, I don't happen what happened to the PSone and PS2, elaborate. :)

I'm talking about when everyone got the PS2 when it came out, and then people got it later, the ones who got it later still works perfectly because the ware is updated for their discs and stuff, but MOST people who got it at launch had to get stuff done to it to play blue discs and DVDs after a certain amount of time.

Like myself.

Posted by Axis

Well you could say that's on Sonys part because our PS2 broke down when we got it at launch. Microsoft on the other hand I haven't heard anything bad about (or else you would've said "Remember what happened when Xbox came out?"). 3 of my friends got it on launch day and theirs still works just like the day they got it, so I fell comfortable with Microsoft. I still know that things change and just because they got it right with Xbox, doesn't mean they will with 360, but it's a chance I'm willing to take.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Sean STARWARS Fury]Yeah, that just happens to be what everyone refers to it as.

Huh. I happen to refer to you as Dickcheese in private, go figure.

I remember the PS2 launch well. Someone was killed over one outside a Dixons near me.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Sean Fury: Well, you have to include the fact that you'll want a game to play on your NON-BACKWARDS COMPITABLE Xbox 360 and maybe even a memory card. That's what, 200 more dollars right there?

The Xbox was $300 at launch... you're *****ing, why?

Majesty:

He's referring to the Ps2 remodel... you know, the slimmer and sleeker PSTwo.

Posted by Random

Quoting Dyers Eve: Well you could say that's on Sonys part because our PS2 broke down when we got it at launch. Microsoft on the other hand I haven't heard anything bad about (or else you would've said "Remember what happened when Xbox came out?"). 3 of my friends got it on launch day and theirs still works just like the day they got it, so I fell comfortable with Microsoft. I still know that things change and just because they got it right with Xbox, doesn't mean they will with 360, but it's a chance I'm willing to take.

My Xbox Lasted a good long Time. Hasn't broken yet. I just sold it to a friend. He still has it and it still works. I sold it to him to get a Green one. I bought it about 2 weeks after it Launched.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Pit]He's referring to the Ps2 remodel... you know, the slimmer and sleeker PSTwo.

Yeah, I know. It's not called PStwo, though, it's just the slim PS2. Or at least that's what it is over in Britland.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Majesty: Yeah, I know. It's not called PStwo, though, it's just the slim PS2. Or at least that's what it is over in Britland.

Over here it's PSTwo :cool:

Posted by Klarth

**** you.

:(

Posted by wolfmaster

Quoting Sean Fury: Well, you have to include the fact that you'll want a game to play on your NON-BACKWARDS COMPITABLE Xbox 360 and maybe even a memory card. That's what, 200 more dollars right there?

This is not true some choice games will be backwards compatible on the 360. Don't ask me how or why they are doing this, because they just are. ohh.... and no word on which games....*cough,Halo,Halo2,cough*

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Sean Fury]Well, you have to include the fact that you'll want a game to play on your NON-BACKWARDS COMPITABLE Xbox 360 and maybe even a memory card. That's what, 200 more dollars right there?

will be backwards compatible? Apparently, the only issue publicized thus far falls squarely with changing the Xbox games calling the NVidia GPU to the ATI hardware instead. Everything else will be handled with an Xbox emulator effortlessly.[/color]

[QUOTE=Sean Fury]Besides, I think I rather wait awhile and see what bugs and stuff turn up (like the faulty power cord for the Xbox) and etc.

The faulty Xbox power cord was revealed well over 3 years after the system's launch, and Microsoft fixed the problem rather quickly. Are you going to wait that long?

Posted by Skitzo Control

Quoting Sean Fury: Bast.ards, plotting to get even more of our money. Not like most people wouldn't of paid nearly 400 dollars at launch for a 360 anyway =/

Not that I will, fu.ck that, ridiculous. I don't care how good it is, if it nearly costs as much as a fu.cking computer, it better have a monitor attached to it, a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and 100 gig hardrive. I reitterate, bas.tards.

How is it a plot to gain more money when they are reducing the cost?

We all know that you can get a 100 gig hardive, mouse, speakers, keyboard, monitor, and a top-of-the-line computer for only $300!
[quote=Sean Fury]Well, you have to include the fact that you'll want a game to play on your NON-BACKWARDS COMPITABLE Xbox 360 and maybe even a memory card. That's what, 200 more dollars right there?

It is backwards compatible. You lose, there. And $100 for a game? You are very bad with prices.

It's not that expensive. Do you recall the PS2 launch price? And the price of games won't ever go up past $60 without the aid of inflation.