NO RANDOM BATTLES IN FF12!

Posted by El Capitan

I heard there wasn't going to be any random battles in Final Fantasy 12. Does anyone know how they are going to do this? Are they gonna have a monster run around the fields and if you run into you have to fight him? I'm not sure if its a good thing or bad thing, in the past I hated it random battles because I would into one when I didn't want one and I didn't get into one when I wanted to.

Posted by Jarulara

I loved in better with random battles so exciting. What's the fun in running into someone that you can just avoid. Give me a challenge and surprise me. This better be a rumor or I'll be sad.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

it might be pretty tough to level up if there are no random battles. the new feature must be cooler.

Posted by Arczu

Maybe they will set it up so that you will always be in a battle- environment. And if you come close to an enemy, you can attack it and kill it, or just move on while it tries to chase you for awhile.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there were random battles. Wonder what effect the transition would be this time?

Posted by Speedfreak

Are they taking the cut-scenes out too?

Posted by William

If it's like how it is in FFXI, then that'd be nice. Otherwise, don't take the random battles out.

Posted by Legend Saber

There are two games I own that don't have random encounters; Lufia: The Legend Returns (GBC), and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (PS2). I thought both of them worked out perfectly. Often when I'm playing an RPG with random encounters, I get annoyed because my process is unwillingly impeded upon so often. I just hate running around then suddenly getting into an encounter. I find that when I have a choice in the matter, I'm much more willing to fight. On both Star Ocean and Lufia, I would often defeat all the enemies in a given area before moving on. Also, being able to avoid enemies means that if you're in a hurry and you need to get to a save point fast, you can skip past enemies and devote all your time to actually finding a save point, rather than being intereupted every six seconds to fight yet another enemy. It saves time, I find it less frustrating, and I prefer having a choice in the matter. I hope to God that Final Fantasy XII incorporates such a feature.

Posted by Dark

There's RPGs without random battles. The sprites of the monsters run around and if you can avoid them you don't have to fight them.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, I really dislike random battles. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that FFXII battle scenes wouldn't load to another screen. You'd smoothly enter the battle and it'd be like you were just walking around normally. Not sure exactly how it will be. But hopefully decent, especially since it isn't random.

Posted by crimsoncinder

I like and dislike random battles. On one side, you can level up a lot easier, on the otherside, it can take for-****ing-ever to get to where you want to go sometimes. If they took them out, it had better be something more interesting than a Chrono Cross/Trigger or Lunar concept of encounters

Posted by Sean Fury

I love random battles, probably because that's how I grew up with my RPGs, but the combat battles like in Dark Cloud where you just fight your enemies where you stand is cool too. I mean, I've always loved the screen transition and the triumphant start of battle music, the victory "dance" and fanfare...it's sad to watch these slowly slip away in the new generation of gaming =/

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: Are they taking the cut-scenes out too?

Square Enix is a cinematic whore company, if they take out the cutscenes by some chance, I'LL buy FFXII.

(Not really)

Posted by Sean Fury

Quoting boomstick: Are you being serious, why pretty cinematics have been the true core of all the Final Fantasy games in the past years.

Square Enix is a cutscene whore company.

And if they ever took out cutscenes to a Final Fantasy game...I think there'd be a few missing people in Japan.

Posted by crimsoncinder

Quoting Sean Fury: I love random battles, probably because that's how I grew up with my RPGs, but the combat battles like in Dark Cloud where you just fight your enemies where you stand is cool too. I mean, I've always loved the screen transition and the triumphant start of battle music, the victory "dance" and fanfare...it's sad to watch these slowly slip away in the new generation of gaming =/

Victory music is always awesome. I love winning a battle then hearing it. It makes me feel like I accomplished something

Posted by Xenos

Quoting Sean Fury: I love random battles, probably because that's how I grew up with my RPGs, but the combat battles like in Dark Cloud where you just fight your enemies where you stand is cool too. I mean, I've always loved the screen transition and the triumphant start of battle music, the victory "dance" and fanfare...it's sad to watch these slowly slip away in the new generation of gaming =/

Try something new for one.

The only thing I can say about this new Final Fantasy is the character design; they've turned main females recently into sex object. HEY, YOU KNOW, YOU CAN'T REALLY FIGHT IN A PINK MINISKIRT AND HIGH HEEL BOOTS. Oh, wait, it's probaby just me and my twisted logic.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

The hell you can. I do all the time!

Posted by Xenos

Well, YOU can. I'm going to stick to my baggy pants **** and overused tennis shoes.

Posted by Ant

...but would you really want to play a girl like that!?

Hmm, I'm not sure if it's a good idea if they did the next Final Fantasy without Random Battles. It's what makes it what it is and what people have come to like about it(or hate). But perhaps a new change would be good. They will most likely go with the kingdom heartsish way of doing it. Where you gain experance and there is hp and stuff, all active battle. We'll just have to wait a year to find out :)

Posted by Xenos

Quoted post: ...but would you really want to play a girl like that!?

No, really, I want to play a nude girl.

Posted by El Capitan

Yeah, my friend said that they were going to do something similar to Kingdom Hearts have all the HP and MP bars there. My friend also said that FF12 is taking longer to come out is because they wanted to make the main character "cooler" and there fixing him up. Not sure if it's true but thats what I heard.

Posted by Acheron

Yay. Now only if they took away all the other things that make the new Final Fantasies awful games and add quality replacements where they're needed.

Then you'd have a game that's completely different from Final Fantasy save the graphical style.