Why is America trying so hard?

Posted by Zeratul

I asked this question on the avatar thread. Why does america try to make anime shows. Any ones i see just suck. Can anyone see where im going?

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I do see where you are going. I hate how hard america is trying to make something that captures what the Japanese are famous for. Teen Titans and other shows that frequent Cartoon Network lately have started to enrage me, as they are trying far too hard. Look, the Japanese are fond of our style, and we are fond of theirs. Let's just leave it that way.

Posted by Fate

I think the FCC is responsible for this.

Posted by Legend Saber

You see, Kiros, Americans suck at making animation, and have for about forty years. So, in a pathetic attempt to make something that's actually worth watching, they've copied the Japanese style of animation. But, even coping the Japanese style of animation can't help the Americans, because, you know, they suck more at making Japanese rip-off's than they do at making their own crap.
In short: Americans suck at making animation.

Posted by Zeratul

Japan's animation made sense, but the stuff america makes confuses the hell out of me. And the way that some non-anime cartoons include anime scenes just makes me scream out "WTF!!!"

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Heavy Metal is proof that America does not suck at making animation

Posted by Fate

Spawn was actually a good one.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Heavy Metal is proof that America does not suck at making animation

Point made, and well.

Aanyways, they try because they know a good idea when they see one. If a bunch of kids are watching shows like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and the like, why wouldn;t you try and cash in on their success. Those shows just aren't about the storylines, it's about the animation too, and they figure they can do the same, with their own little twist.

Whether it turns out well or not... that's another story.

Posted by Average n00b

Yeah, usually it's WB animation that does this American-anime, but I think originally it was an idea from the French, with the all time crappiest false anime, Totally Spies. And Americans started copying that trend with Teen Titans, Avatar, and others.

Posted by Dark

Their own type of animation sucks. They're trying to prove they can make popular, "cool" shows like anime is. For example Super Hyper Monkey Team Force Go (or some **** like that), Totally Spies, Teen Titans, Samurai Jack, etc etc.

Posted by Average n00b

Yeah, it's hard to believe that Samurai Jack was an arward winning series, Teen Titans is a hit TV show. I guess it's because retarded people think it's anime and automaticly likes it, no matter how crap it is.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Samurai Jack, etc etc.

I thought Samurai Jack's animation and style was amazing. Even better than
some authentic animes I have seen.

Posted by Dark

I liked the animation style, just not the cartoon itself.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Heavy Metal is proof that America does not suck at making animation

That and Disney and Titan A.E.
And all the kick *** comics we have (to counteract manga).
I like anime/manga and amerimation/comics equally.
Face it, if something is good, it's good. Same goes if something sucks ***.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Vampiro: I thought Samurai Jack's animation and style was amazing. Even better than
some authentic animes I have seen.

I'll agree with ya there.

Posted by Boner

America should just stick to cartoons like Ren and Stimpy, Beavis and Butt-Head, Invader Zim, Family Guy, and the Simpsons. However, I would love to strangle the the S.O.B. who created the abortion of a cartoon known as Sponge Bob.

Posted by Fate

wtf is Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi? I know it's a band, but...

Posted by Xenos

I accidentally visit the cartoon's main site, and oh ****... it wounded my eyes for days.

Posted by Fate

I still want to know wtfisupwithCN.

Posted by sniper

About any recent American cartoon I can think of is about being produced cheaply, and in the form of the latest trend, in this case anime.

Posted by Average n00b

Quoting Fate: I still want to know wtfisupwithCN.

Yeah, Cartoon Network is officialy killed thanks to the new show "Krypto the super Dog"

Posted by Mystic Hero

The thing is Anime has suddenly had a more booming popularity in the U.S, or so it seems that way to me. Stores that didn't sell anime now sell it, we now see a wider range of anime on DVD and VHS at stores that never used to have them. So America wants a piece of that action too. Since they see that anime is so popular they want to try and take a spin off on their art by making shows like Teen Titans and that sort of junk that doesn't even closely resemble anime, unless you take in to acount their eyes, but that's about all I notice. Dialogue sucks, at least in my point of view, and the over all plot of these new Americanized anime take offs sucks as well. They just can't accept that anime is just better in ways that some or most, depending on how you look at it, cartoons in America aren't. You can't match anime, it's its own special catagory of cartoons.

Posted by Zeratul

Sice America is obsessed with anime, is japan obsessed with american cartooning?

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Average n00b: Yeah, Cartoon Network is officialy killed thanks to the new show "Krypto the super Dog"

It's been killed since the sudden new adition of terrable shows such as Hi HI whatever it's called and the tons and tons of new aditional cartoons they have added to the station.

Posted by Madame Flurrie

Quoting Krios: Sice America is obsessed with anime, is japan obsessed with american cartooning?

Well, the first anime styles were based off of things like Disney. ;)

Posted by Prince Shondronai

adam warren was the first absolutely wretched American "artist" to take anime design and utterly ruin it. He only did it in comic books, though, screwing up such marvelous works as Gen-13 and the mangafication of Star Wars.

I actually like Teen Titans, but that's just because I'm a big DC Comics nut. I think they go a little overboard with the anime conventions sometimes, though, I'll agree.

It's a shame that crap like Totally Spies and W.i.t.c.h. are being produced, though, yes. Anime is, actually, a cheaper style to use than traditional American animation, though. Most of the time in American animation, you would have the character's entire jaw moving with each word. With anime, the jaw is stationary, while there are just 5 or 6 frames (2 frames in the really cheap stuff) for the mouth movements. A single frame of character art can be used for an entire conversation, with only those 5 or 6 tiny frames spliced in. Imagine the sheer glee animators experienced when anime started getting really popular in the States. "Hey guys! We can start slacking off, and people will love us for it!" Unfortunately, they lack the design sense and writing ability to be able to pull a real anime off.

Posted by Dragon Ryder

Lets just say this america got samuri jack and japan has everything else. hmm score is 1-61235. Yay japan wins. Animators in america should take notice.

Here's another thought. why don't they just continue samuri jack? they had a good thing going. it only lasted 2 seasons.

Posted by Fate

I didn't know it stopped.

Posted by SuperSoupy

America copies the anime style for one sole, primary reason: to make money from it. Anime is more popular now than it ever was, and any McDonalds guzzling executive can see theres money to be made there.

But does this mean american animation sucks.... HELL NO!

There's a fine line to what makes Japanese animation great, and what makes american animation great. And it has nothing to do with the animation style used.
Let's start with American animation. Like the British, they are very good at telling jokes through animation, they'll write great laugh/happy script stuff which transfers to the animation medium nicely. Whether its through cell, CG, stop motion etc this method will always work. It doesnt matter where in the world american animation is made whether it be Korea or anywhere, the U.S. would have originally designed the style to be applied to it (like the simpsons, etc). Advantage over Japan: america has a better way of reaching more audiences through their comedy writing, and they have more budget to dabble in risk-taking, often involving in more experimental, expressive animation ('samurai jack' and 'who framed roger rabbit' spring to mind).

Now Japanese animation. Well if Japan does one thing better than any other country in the world it's storytelling and stories concerning morale and inner meaning. Hell, the whole reason we play games like final fantasy is for the story, right? Japan writes scripts that tell a great story, which when set to realistic yet vibrantly coloured 2D animation, works a treat! But who says Japan doesn't borrow stuff from american animation? Pretty much every so called 'Japanese' character in anime looks more western than eastern (who ever heard of a natural blonde japanese guy?!). And anime's like the mightly 'Akira' have a distinct american biker gang movie quality. But although Japan only ever produces 2D animation, it's allowed their animators to only ever practise this one form of animation, and by mutha theyve gotten good at it.

So no matter how hard america may try to mimic Japan's art form, the Japanese have way more years of experience on the americans, resulting in the better work being produced. And america has its own ways of animation (their CGI can go unrecongnisable in some movies, thats how amazing it is) that outranks Japan. Any Disney film's staggering amount of frames per second makes anime look very choppy. Theres both sides to the coin y'see.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting SuperSoupy:
Let's start with American animation. Like the British, they are very good at telling jokes through animation, they'll write great laugh/happy script stuff which transfers to the animation medium nicely. Whether its through cell, CG, stop motion etc this method will always work. It doesnt matter where in the world american animation is made whether it be Korea or anywhere, the U.S. would have originally designed the style to be applied to it (like the simpsons, etc). Advantage over Japan: america has a better way of reaching more audiences through their comedy writing, and they have more budget to dabble in risk-taking, often involving in more experimental, expressive animation ('samurai jack' and 'who framed roger rabbit' spring to mind).

True, more american animation is focused around comedy rangin from a wide variety of age range to appeal to one's liking. This is one thing America has the edge over in their animation. But it's not just the genre or the story line. Anime is unique because of it's own style of art. Their characters look more people with all the detail put into them than what american animation has created. They sometimes have four or three fingers and the drawing of them is so simple that it looks easy to copy down on a piece of paper, at least that's how I look at it. But Japanese anime has an artistic style that must be practiced to get a good mastery over it. And lets face it, some of us just love the stuff because of the way they draw girls. They have a more detailed and realistic sense to them instead of just giving them a circle for the head and a triangle for the nose. This also plays into video games the way they make the girls look. Hell if you find someone that doesn't care ofr the story line of an anime but still likes it, it's more likely because they like how the girls are drawn. This is another edge that anime has. If all else fails, the way they draw those girls can easily real you in. I've noticed a sudden shift in my area to the popularity in anime now and the people that I ask in school why they have suddenly switched over simply say it's because the girls look hot. So anime scores in maMF areas ,this being one of the big ones.

For anime we have the following why it is so popular:
- Good story line
- Excellent animation and detail put into it
- Characters look more human like
- Girls actually look hot

I'm sure there is tons more, but these are some of the big ones. People fall into liking anime mainly for one of these reasons if not more.

Posted by SuperSoupy

Quoting Mystic Hero: Their characters look more people with all the detail put into them than what american animation has created. They sometimes have four or three fingers and the drawing of them is so simple that it looks easy to copy down on a piece of paper, at least that's how I look at it. But Japanese anime has an artistic style that must be practiced to get a good mastery over it. And lets face it, some of us just love the stuff because of the way they draw girls.

A tip about american animators (or any for that matter): these guys CAN draw!! A character may look simple because it has to relate to whichever audience age it's aimed at. And true the characters may seem easy to copy on a piece of paper. But just try drawing that same character loads of times, rotating him in a 3D manner, so you can have a picture of him from absolutely ANY angle, while still retaining his same body structure unaltered. Its not an easy task.
The animators are more than qualified to tacke more detailed anime styles, but since it's the west in where theyre working, they must stick to drawing simpler styles,which reaches audiences better, which helps sell the jokes, which is what america excels in doing.

It's true what you say about Japan's female drawing. Sex sells! It dosen't matter where in the world you live. Why spend ages thinking up a strong storyline when you can just flash the flesh and reach just as large an audience? Japan has created an entire sex industry through their animation (but thats another topic entirely!). But as far as I can tell America first discovered this. Back in the day Betty Boop and Tex Avery's Red Hot Riding Hood became famous for this sole reason! It's a case of evolution and revolution with that case: America revolutionised animation with it, Japan (in modern society) evolved the concept.

Posted by nich

If American animators wanted to make an anime styled cartoon I'd have no problem with it. I mean we wouldn't have to wait for it to be translated and it would be cheaper to buy. The thing is American animators don't understand why Anime is popular and just make a stupid story with characters that have big eyes, and make goofy faces constantly.

Posted by SuperSoupy

Good point about the translation, at least the western world of animation can get lip-sync accurate!

But I think that american animators must have some understanding of why anime is popular, how else would they know how to mimic their style (right down to little frame movements) so accurately? These guys are animators, they know their Akiras from their Tenchi Muyos cos it comes as part of the job.
In my opinion (speaking for just me here), I think that anime is popular because the Japanese don't look west for their ideas and influences. Pretty much all their anime is based on their own culture and way of life, right down to how they react to their comedy and speaking patterns. As westerners who appreciate Japan and all that stuff we totally dig anime cos it reflects all that.
Now where america goes WRONG when it copies anime is that it takes Japan's concepts (which they're aware of), and and adds their own western influences like cheesy dialogue, in an attempt to make it easier to relate to us. Trouble is, we liked it how it was, the formula didnt need changing! Tweaking with anime concepts is like tweaking with an apple pie by adding gravy instead of cream - it makes it taste vile!!

Posted by wallstreetstrangler

sheesh, most anime fans are the cartoon equivalent of wine snobs. i like some animes, but otaku make me want to trade my honda for a ford and quit eating sushi out of sheer spite for otaku. even japanese people don't give a crap about anime half as much as white american otaku do.

Posted by SuperSoupy

don't honestly tell me you eat sushi simply because you like japanese culture. makes me want to laugh.

anyways what the hell's an otaku? you'd have to be an anime wine snob to understand these irrelevent phrases. I for one was talking about animation as a whole, not just anime.

And I'd have to disagree about how japanese don't care about anime half as much as americans do. How can Japan not care much for anime when it's the only kind of animation they ever produce? Meanwhile your 'white american otaku' produce all kinds of aspects of animation (even if they do nick stuff from Japan).