Bands not many people have heard of

Posted by Bebop

You've got a few albums made by a band that may have a few singles under their belt, but is rarely heard of in the news or by anyone for that matter.

Gomez-Split the Difference
Awesome. Listening to it now. I don;t know what you;d classify this music as becuase I;m not familiar with that sort of thing. Bascially 4 guys (I think) play various instruments and sing. It's not rock, it's not pop. It's just great. The album cover art is pretty sweet too.

Posted by MetalVox~55

More people need to listen to Opeth.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

I listen to two bands that locally are pretty much unknown, which are Avskum and Ash. I believe that Avskum is from either Sweden, Finland, or somewhere in that reigon, but I know that Ash is from Ireland. Neither are incredibly good, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Posted by Gollum

Desire, naturally. I always promote them because they deserve it immensely.

Shin-Ra still needs to check them out, of course.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Idlewild, the Corrs, the Guano Apes, and Dragonforce

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Bloodhound Gang
Blur
Deltron
DSX
Wolfpac

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Wicked Sushi: Bloodhound Gang

**** you, no. Bloodhound Gang needs to go the hell away.

Posted by Dexter

It depends on the environment. When I get online, it is not surprising at all that so many know about Nightwish, Therion, Dream Theater, Opeth etc, but offline, such as at school or work, it is incredibly rare. In fact, I've never met someone who have known about Therion or Nightwish unless I introduced them to it. I've only met one individual who at least knew about Dream Theater. There is a vast difference.

*likes Bloodhound Gang*

Posted by NegativeTrend

I've have Gomez's Bring It On album. Nice ambient stuff. I advise everone to check out Camel if they like classic rock stuff. They make some trippy stuff.

EDIT: and Soft Machine for a progressive jazz fusion. Kind of an agressive jazz sound. Very neat.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Quoting Dexter: It depends on the environment. When I get online, it is not surprising at all that so many know about Nightwish, Therion, Dream Theater, Opeth etc, but offline, such as at school or work, it is incredibly rare. In fact, I've never met someone who have known about Therion or Nightwish unless I introduced them to it. I've only met one individual who at least knew about Dream Theater. There is a vast difference.

Exactly. None of my friends offline have ever heard of Nightwish or Therion. Then again, neither had I until Shin-ra, netman and others here introduced different bands to me. I've also only met one person (offline) who listens to Dream Theatre.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

add Jump, Little Children to that list

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: the Corrs

THAT'S SO BADLY NOT TRUE.

I think it'd be nice if European metal was popularised a bit more. Melodic death especially.

American metal's just full of metalcore crap these days...

And supposed "metal(core, probably) fans" SHOULD ACTUALLY KNOW WHO INVENTED THE GENRE.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Iced Earth? Symphony X? Megadeth? Lamb of ***? Nevermore? eh, that's all off the top of my head. Richoad, that sounds like a bad complaint from someone who's too mallcore to know any better :(

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Iced Earth? Symphony X? Megadeth? Lamb of ***? Nevermore? eh, that's all off the top of my head. Richoad, that sounds like a bad complaint from someone who's too mallcore to know any better :(

Isn't Lamb Of *** metalcore too?

I'm just saying that it's inundated with metalcore. I never said that there were no good American bands. Believe it or not, I actually do listen to Symphony X and Megadeth, and I'm in the process of getting some Iced Earth and Nevermore.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I have a lot of bands that I want to list but it'd be pointless to throw them all down at once.

Ambient/Electronic:
Akira Yamaoka - The guy that does the Silent Hill soundtracks. So many people take soundtracks like this for granted and never bother really listening to the stuff. I did for the longest time actually, until I got the Silent Hill 3 soundtrack that comes with the game. The music itself is very ranged, but seeing as this is a video game forum, someone should what it sounds like.

Antimatter - Mostly electronic stuff, usually with female vocals. The newest album is supposed to be mostly acoustic. Their music reminds me more of a movie/dark video game soundtrack which is something that I like when I listen to this sort of music. It helps me visualize sceneries/events the music reminds me of or might be trying to show. The band's headed by Anathema's ex-bassist and lyricist, and a couple of their songs feature Anathema's current singer.

Metal:
Syny Severa - I've only heard two songs by this guy and I have every intention to buy both of his cds. The music is really raw NSBM with great percussion.

Cerberus - Combines everything I love about older Black Metal and adds a few elements of the newer stuff (singing styles especially, almost Graveworm-esque with the death/black style). Their music is very hard to find, unfortunately. It took me months to find their "Chapters of Blackness" album actually.

Quoting Richaod:
And supposed "metal(core, probably) fans" SHOULD ACTUALLY KNOW WHO INVENTED THE GENRE.

America had a lot to do with the invention of metal. Given, Black Sabbath are the *** fathers and all, but quite a few American bands helped push the genres. Metallica, Slayer, and the Florida Death Metal scene all come to mind.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: America had a lot to do with the invention of metal. Given, Black Sabbath are the *** fathers and all, but quite a few American bands helped push the genres. Metallica, Slayer, and the Florida Death Metal scene all come to mind.

I meant that Black Sabbath deserve more credit from the younger generation than they currently do. Ask a (not-very-elitist) metal forum who they think invented metal, and quite a few probably won't know. Ask random people on the street and you'll get even less who know...

Posted by Philsdad

Estradasphere - extremely diverse band that I've plugged here in the past
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter - german melodic death metal band
Secret Chiefs 3 - another diverse band, on the same label as Espehre
Farmers Market - band from Norway that plays speed metal, jazz, bluegrass and bulgarian music
Nokturnal Mortum - melodic ukranian folk influenced black metal
Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys - Outstanding old fashioned bluegrass. Man, can these old bluegrass artists play music.. Sick banjo shredding!
Taraf De Haidouks - traditional romanian folk music. The violin playing leaves me in awe everytime I hear it.
Fanfare Ciocarlia - another romanian band, but consists solely of brass instruments. Fun, upbeat music

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Richaod: I meant that Black Sabbath deserve more credit from the younger generation than they currently do. Ask a (not-very-elitist) metal forum who they think invented metal, and quite a few probably won't know. Ask random people on the street and you'll get even less who know...

Nobody 'invented' metal. And I have to say, out of five local gigs I've recently attended, two featured covers of Paranoid, both received by loud cheers and lyric singing. Unknown my arse.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting TheSecondComing: Nobody 'invented' metal. And I have to say, out of five local gigs I've recently attended, two featured covers of Paranoid, both received by loud cheers and lyric singing. Unknown my arse.

Not unknown, just not receiving as much credit as they should for having created the genre. And really, they at least solidified the interpretation of metal. Unless you can find me a song like their namesake "Black Sabbath" from before 1970, I'm not changing my mind on that.

Posted by Arwon

Augie March. They actually toured with Gomez in the US for a while, though from what I've heard of the latter AM are by faaaaar the superior band.

And for anyone outside Australia: the Whitlams. Though I suppose they were never going to make sense outside of Australia... trying to explain the meaning and poignance of 'Blow Up the Pokies' to a foreigner is almost impossible. Funny how a band can be ubiquitous here and completely unknown elsewhere.

I could also be dreadfully elitist and mention say, Klezmatics (interesting/progressive Klezmer by a troupe of Yiddish-speaking New Yorkers) or Makers of the Dead Travel Fast (Crazy early 80s Australian post-punk) or maybe Bruce Haack (one-man electronica act from the 60s, built his own stuff and wrote songs of Jesus fighting Satan and also sang robotic nursery rhymes)...

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Idlewild, the Corrs, the Guano Apes, and Dragonforce

My of my mates is a big Idlewild fan and another of mine is a Dragonforce fan. :):):)

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Arockalypse and the Amazing Trans-Metropolitans
Blood Soaked Lies (my third best friends band)
Addict Fish
StevenMarque

Posted by Klarth

Agalloch, Falkenbach, Office of Strategic Influence, Lunatica

the list goes on

Posted by bazariah

the peatbog fairies.. i saw them live at the dartford festival a couple of years back when it was pouring down with rain, i was there watching and they were awesome, i also picked up a cd they had for sale at the time.. they are a scottish dance group who use bag-pipes in an awesome style

Posted by William

Here's a few that I notice are never mentioned much, most of which I recently found out about and love - and that everyone should check out immediately...(most are either progressive or power metal by the way)...

Oh and I'll give a song for each, in case you want to check out the band:

Nightingale
- "Game Over"
Winds
- "Under the Stars"
Bolt
- "Polar"
Gordian Knot
- "Code/Anticode"
A.C.T.
- "Torn by a Phrase"
Odyssey (The Swedish band - not the American one)
- "Amon-Ra"
Ark
- "Ressurection"
Orphaned Land
- "Ocean Land"
Aina
- "The Beast Within"
Another Life
- "Concealed by Fright"

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting MetalVox~55: **** you, no. Bloodhound Gang needs to go the hell away.

You dissing my favorite band? Aww Hell Naw.

I guess you don't appreciate songs about oral sex and vaginas. But oh well. They are coming out with a new album in September...so...Haha. ;)

Posted by Klarth

[quote=William]Ark
- "Ressurection"

Wtf, sounds like something straight out of Terranigma.

[quote]Gordian Knot

Wasn't Tony Levin involved with them...?

Posted by mis0

- Fu

Posted by Shade

Around here, Dream Theater. I've only met a few people who've listened to them, and that's because I let them borrow a CD. Heck, I hadn't heard of them until somebody here introduced me to them.

(Thanks Sabre)

Posted by Klarth

What am I, a supplement?

It's my doing that everyone around me has heard of DT now. Not that they actually appreciate their music when it's blasting over everyone else's, but...

Posted by William

Quoting Majesty: Wtf, sounds like something straight out of Terranigma.

Wasn't Tony Levin involved with them...?

I don't think so. I just looked on Metal Archives and he isn't mentioned in the band profile.

Check those bands out though. I think you'd like them Jack.

Posted by Klarth

Seems like I was thinking of Jim Matheos. Any band linked to OSI is worth checking out, then.

Posted by William

Well if you do check out any of the bands Jack (or anyone else for that matter), I'd appreciate it if you told me what you thought of them. :p

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Misoxeny: Rammstein. People don't seem to know who they are whenever I mention them, at least offline, but they may be less obscure where you live. A few years ago they did give Rammstein some airtime locally, but then they pulled the plug on it. Still, they change with every album, and for the better too. I personally loved every track on Reise, Reise.

Literally 95% of my school knows of them, and combined with their AC/DC obsession, I'm getting really sick of it. Everyone asks me if I have "Du Hast". :(

Posted by William

More bands...

Kamelot
- "March of Mephisto"
Covenant
- "Bullet"
End of Green
- "Tormented Sundown"
Evereve
- "The Eclipse of the Seventh Sun"
Razed in Black
- "Sentence Me" (W/ Soil and Eclipse)
Silentium
- "Beyond"
Stabbing Westward - Used to be known, now forgotten.
- "Drugstore"
James Asher (Shaman Drums)
- "Temple Gates"
The Cruxshadows
- "Nothing Left But Me"
Candlemass
- "Solitude"
Green Carnation
- "Crushed to Dust"
In Grey
- "Above"
The Merry Thoughts
- "Chant"
Project X
- "It's All Gone"

Posted by Tinkleheimer

Alien Ant Farm, my favorite band, not heard of much since their bus wreck. Have 2 albums.

Enamel, really local band.

Posted by Borealis

Therion. I've long been hearing the mistake for

Posted by G-Sides

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Dragonforce

DragonForce is great shit. My dad has one of their demos.

britspeedmetal4lyfe

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Tinkleheimer: Alien Ant Farm, my favorite band, not heard of much since their bus wreck. Have 2 albums.

Ugh, Smooth Criminal and Movies were incredibly popular over here. Anyone with a memory beyond that of three years remembers them.

Posted by G-Sides

I still hear Smooth Criminal by AAF on the radio even today occasionally.

________
Bad Brains - An all black thrash (and some reggae, but the reggae is seperate stuff so they're not like a thrash+reggae band) group. All members of the band are excellent, Dr. Know being one of the greatest guitarists of all time. They were fairly popular in the 80's with Sacred Love and Soul Craft. They literally got banned from playing any shows in the town of Washington DC because of all the clubs and venues that got destroyed as a result of moshing and people becoming caught up in their shows and going crazy.
Suggested songs - How Low Can A Punk Get, Don't Bother Me, I Against I
Suggested albums - Banned In DC: Bad Brains Greatest Riffs, Rock For Light, The Youth Are Getting Restless

Posted by Porcupine

Porcupine Tree.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Jag Panzer

Posted by G-Sides

I went and downloaded some Porcupine Tree and I'd have to say, I like them. They remind me of A Perfect Circle with less ambience and more instrumental tones.

Posted by gemstone

Freedy Johnston is good, for those who like mellow singer-songwriter types