Prevent Spamming

Posted by Wicked Sushi

I seen that Chuck and the others are spamming the boards with hatred and flaming. There's a way to prevent this.

Make us confirm an e-mail when we register to the boards. I mean, it takes a minte to register here and post. It takes four minutes to confirm and e-mail and register. And if you block a spammer's e-mail address, he/she can't register. Yes, the spammer could use an other e-mail address, but at one point he/she will run out of addresses. Sure, it's possible to make up a free e-mail account at Yahoo or Gmail, wherever, but that can take at least three minutes. So basically, the spammer would have to devote about eight to ten minutes to just be able to post here. And then, you block the person...an other ten minutes.
Unless they don't have a life, I don't think they will spam.

This is my idea. I know it sucks, but that's the best I can do. :P

Posted by Klarth

I like the idea... Wasn't this the case on the vb2, or am I imagining things again?

Whatever. Jesse, I actually suggest you carry this out.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Also, I forgot to add that I know that people spam message boards from school or from work. And of course, schools like to block sites like Yahoo Mail and Hotmail, which would completely disable bored students from spamming.

Posted by NegativeTrend

I think Jesse only cares about numbers so I doubt that he will enable this feature. I like the idea myself.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Majesty: I like the idea... Wasn't this the case on the vb2, or am I imagining things again?

I distinctly remember having to do such a thing. I didn't even know that Jesse had eliminated the feature.

Quoting NegativeTrend: I think Jesse only cares about numbers so I doubt that he will enable this feature. I like the idea myself.

Well, he does make money from us after all.

Posted by Raptor

I recommended this very feature a few months ago, but as I recall my suggestion was shot down by the majority. I actually thought of this again earlier today, as well. This should indeed be done.

Posted by Iris

This is a wonderful suggestion. I certainly would love if Jesse would block e-mails.

Posted by Legend Saber

Jeese's ideal of this site consists of endless newbies joining and posting whatever useless crap comes to their minds.

He won't enable such a feature.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Legend Saber: Jeese's ideal of this site consists of endless newbies joining and posting whatever useless crap comes to their minds.

Correction, that's endless n00bies. :D:D:D:D:D pze no ban da n00bies!!!! :D:D:D We need them here!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Raptor: I recommended this very feature a few months ago, but as I recall my suggestion was shot down by the majority. I actually thought of this again earlier today, as well. This should indeed be done.

Yeah, well, people like the new guy better. :)

Jk, love ya.

Posted by Zeratul

no offense to anyone but the title of the thread sounds like spam*itself

*found mostly on my Email ;)

Posted by Slade

It's definitely a good idea, those dumb spammers are making me unhappy.
But don't tell them, because they are sick and would enjoy that. Anyways, I'd vote for it or whatever if this really is Democrazy.

Posted by higbvuyb

Jesse, it'll only stop spammers. Any n00bs who can make an email address can join.

Do it!

Posted by sabre

That email confirmation puts me right off registering, but I guess under the circumstances it's kinda utile.

Posted by William

If a user that comes on just to spam, will create multiple accounts after he/she is banned...what makes you think they won't just keep creating multiple emails? After all, most of them don't have lives anyhow and are also pretty persistant.

Posted by Raptor

Having to create multiple e-mail accounts makes the process much more time and energy-consuming, not to mention discouraging for a spammer. Nothing is spammer-proof, but anything that helps to discourage them is a good thing. Besides that, e-mail confirmation means they will have to enter a real e-mail address, which would ultimately make them easier to track down.

Posted by Klarth

At least VGC doesn't follow the same routine Serebii forums did last time I tried registering (this time last year?). After signing up, you'd have to wait *** knows how long (usually a week) before a moderator approved your account and you could start posting.

Posted by sabre

Make it so all emails must be unique, too. If you're gonna do it, it should probably be done right.

Posted by Boner

Without stupid n00bs that spam and have horrible grammar, what would the mods do all day? At least it keeps them on their toes. Besides, the rest of us like to have fun with them. Of course, it does tend to get annoying after a while. So, I supopse that would put a bit of a hault to it. Can't we just send the n00bs a virus or something?

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting Majesty: After signing up, you'd have to wait *** knows how long (usually a week) before a moderator approved your account and you could start posting.

LOL. That's the stupidest registering mode I ever heard of.

Posted by Klarth

Hey guys, I think we should give Boba Fett the ban hammer.

Posted by Boba Fett

I think you should beware, my employer hates it that you keep taking out his commanders. He suggests that you give into his demands or this place will be bombed all summer.

Posted by Klarth

Your employer doesn't like it when we take out his commanders. You're your employer's commander and you are thus higher than him in the hierarchy, and he still employs you?

what

Posted by Boba Fett

Quoting Majesty: Your employer doesn't like it when we take out his commanders. You're your employer's commander and you are thus higher than him in the hierarchy, and he still employs you?

what

I think you have it confused. I am under contract, I am not my employer's commander. I was sent here to carry out the mission. Which is re-state the peace treaty terms, and also give support to Sean Fury, who is cooler than JOO!

Posted by Corrupt

Go back to your own galaxy, Boba Fett. :rolleyes:

Okay, now that he's gone, hopefully you guys can get back on topic again.

Posted by Arczu

It's a good idea for sure. I mean, the average number of posts here has probably been dragged down to 10 or worse, considering some people are 10,000-ish.