old vs new rap

Posted by Lord of Spam

After listening to the likes of Public Enemy, NWA, and the likes, I have absolutely no respect for modern rap.

The older stuff has meaning, it has a message, and some intelligence to the lyrics. All people like Lil Jon care about is how much gold, platinum, and diamonds they can hang off their necks. Litterally. Track 10 on Kings of Crunk is about big necklaces.

What do you guys think. Have any of you ever been exposed to any old school rap? If not, make sure you get some soon. You dont know what you are missing.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

I know what you mean. Infact, because of that, I don't listen to too much mainstream rap, because it's usally about pimpin' and the bling bling. Though there's one exception, and that's Beasite Boys.

As for old-school rap, I listen to Insane Clown Posse, Wolfpac, Twitzid, (Early) Eminem, Deltron, Gorillaz, Run DMC, DNX, Bloodhound Gang etc.
They don't rap about how rich they are or how many girls they have sex with. They rap about killing them (ICP), having sex with dead bodies (Wolfpac), about space and the future (Deltron), about pulling fingers and making someone fart in a tub and watching Cops with no pants on (Bloodhound Gang).

There's some variety for ya. :P

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Lord of Spam: NWA

Werd up.

Posted by Boner

I am almost a pure Metal Head these days. But, I wasn't always that way. I used to listen to rap back in the days. Now, it's more like [COLOR=Red]c[/COLOR]rap. NWA, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Eazy E, Sir Mixalot, that sort of stuff. That was some ok stuff as far as rap goes. I even listened to ICP for a spell. Though, that was entirely for the humor of it. But, that wore thin pretty quick. Come to think of it, almost all modern music sucks. At least, anything that's main stream. Now I'm just a picky Metal Head.

Posted by brownoystercult

Wicked Sushi-The Gorillaz aren't old school rappers.

N.W.A and Kurtis Blow all the way.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

give jurassic 5 and mos def a chance

Posted by lameboy

If you're looking for new hip hop that's great, pick up DJ Z-Trip's album "Shifting Gears". Z-Trip is a fantastic DJ, and this album if full of credible guest MC's: Aceyalone, Soup (of J5), Lyrics Born; even Chuck D shows up for a track. If you're looking for a track to sample, I recommend track 10, "Breakfast Club". It's about cartoons and cereal. Even my anti-hip hop friends like this song.

Another great new hip hop album is Common's "Be". I picked it up on vinyl the other day, and I've only listened to it once so far, but once was enough to recommend it. Interestingly enough, John Meyer provides background vocals for the track "GO!".

I appreciate old school hip hop, but in the long run I like new school better; you just have to know what to look for.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting Uchiha Itachi: Wicked Sushi-The Gorillaz aren't old school rappers.

I know, but I felt like mentioning them. ;)

And Jurassic-5 is indeed awesome.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=bj]jurassic 5

Are good. "A Day At The Races" was my favourite song of theirs.

[quote]mos def

Wait, isn't he the theatre guy who played Ford Prefect in the H2G2 movie..?

Posted by Pit

Quoting Lord of Spam: After listening to the likes of Public Enemy, NWA, and the likes, I have absolutely no respect for modern rap.

The older stuff has meaning, it has a message, and some intelligence to the lyrics. All people like Lil Jon care about is how much gold, platinum, and diamonds they can hang off their necks. Litterally. Track 10 on Kings of Crunk is about big necklaces.

What do you guys think. Have any of you ever been exposed to any old school rap? If not, make sure you get some soon. You dont know what you are missing.

Lil' Jon isn't a rapper. He makes beats. He just pops in and says "Yeah!" and "Okay" and "Skeet" in the songs he's produced.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

old rap is much better. the tunes those days were really cool.

Posted by Mixhael

Quoting lameboy: I appreciate old school hip hop, but in the long run I like new school better; you just have to know what to look for.

Yep, it's all about looking in the right places. The new is just as good as the old, and vice versa. I've responded to all the Hip Hop threads here with more than a paragraph, but since I'm short on time/lazy I'll just make some essential old rap picks off the top of my head.

De La Soul - "3 Feet High & Rising"
Pharcyde - "Bizarre Ride 2 the Pharcyde"
A Tribe Called Quest - "Midnight Mauraders"
The Roots - "Do You Want More?!?!?"
Beastie Boys - "Check Your Head"
Nas - "Illmatic"
KMD - "Mr. Hood"
Common - "Resurrection"
Run DMC - "Raising Hell"
Gangstarr - "Daily Operation"
Dr. Dre - "The Chronic"
Krs-One - "Return of the Boom Bap"
Boogie Down Productions - "Criminal Minded"
N.W.A. - "Straight Outta Compton"
Public Enemy - "Fear of a Black Planet"
Wu-Tang Clan - "Enter the 36 Chambers"

I'll reply with a list of essential new rap favorites as soon as possible.

Posted by crimsoncinder

I used to listen to eminem. Some of his stuff is alright. But it's metal. No music can compare to the beauty and technicality of metal. Ahhhhh..

Rap sucks. Thats all I have to say

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Wicked Sushi: Beasite Boys.

"did I hear you say my rhyme is rap?"

Posted by Lord of Spam

No, but he is also a huge metal head. The point was, in a thread about rap, it would seem appropriate to stick to rap, barring an appropriate comparison to another musical form, which your statement of "rap sucks" fails to provide.

You lose round 2.

Posted by Mixhael

Quoting Mixhael: I'll reply with a list of essential new rap favorites as soon as possible.

As far as this goes, I'll try to keep everything within the last decade. 1995-2005 seems like fair game to me. This list isn't as definite or well-rounded as my last, but I gave it a go.

Black Star - "Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are..."
Ras Kass - "Soul On Ice"
Xzibit - "40 Dayz & 40 Nightz"
Mos Def - "Black On Both Sides"
Company Flow - "Funcrusher Plus"
Atmosphere - "Lucy Ford"
MF DOOM - "Operation: Doomsday"
Little Brother - "The Listening"
Cannibal OX - "The Cold Vein"
J-Live - "All of the Above"
RJD2 - "Deadringer"
De La Soul - "The Grind Date"
Beastie Boys - "Hello Nasty"
Jurassic 5 - "Quality Control"
Krs-ONE - "Krs-ONE"
Dilated Peoples - "The Platform"
DJ Shadow - "Endtroducing"
People Under The Stairs - "Question in the form of an Answer"
Binary Star - "Masters of the Universe"
Beatnuts - "Musical Massacre"
Alkaholiks - "Coast II Coast"
Louis Logic - "Sin-A-Matic"
Mr. Lif - "I Phantom"

There's just so much really good new stuff by so many new artists its impossible to list everything I guess. Honorable mentions like Cage - "Movies for the Blind", Non-Phixion - "The Future Is Now", El-P - "Fantastic Damage", and a million more I have in mind are all ways of showing how new Hip Hop can be good, if not great.

Posted by crimsoncinder

Want me to elaborate on my statement of rap sucks?

All modern rap is about pimpin', bling and how much money they have. Yet they try to portray a whole "street thug" or "gangsta" look. It's ridiculous, these guys who claim to come from the streets, yet they parade around TV with a few million dollars around their neck in their first music video. I mean if they were from the streets, chances are they would be trying to rap about how bad it is and how brutal gangs can be. Tupac was and is the BEST rap example of someone trying to make the media and general public more intuitive about the street life. I'm no street thug or anything, but I do live in the underground of my city, around my area I see people getting stabbed, drug deals, fights etc etc. And another thing, when did "pimping" become cool? When did a proffesion know for the abuse and objectification of women become a cool thing? The media uses it to push new products to the youth of our nation and capitilise off the weak minds we have in our society. Rap nowadays has NO meaning. And the rap that does have meaning (k-os, some of eminem, kryptos, sweatshop union) is all pushed away. Like eminems Mosh, I saw on TV maybe 3 or 4 times, and it had a good meaning.

Which is why I listen to metal. Metal takes talent to make. And A LOT of metal has good meanings. Darkest Hour, their new CD is (Hidden Hands of the Sadist Nation) is all about the state of America and how people are slaves to their TVs and the government. Fear Factory is another band which does a lot of that stuff, well did.
As I Lay Dying, From Autumn to Ashes, though not exact metal, also have MEANING to their music. A lot of metal is about struggles, **** in their lives, and experiences. Not just how much of a pimp you are..

Top it Lord of Spam... top it

Posted by Ch

I'm actually surprised that no one listed Cyprus Hill. They had old rap classics like Hits From the bong and How I could Just Kill a Man.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Quoting Lord of Spam: "did I hear you say my rhyme is rap?"

If you mean Beastie Boys ain't rap....

Rap and hiphop is same to me. "It's all clicks and whistles." ;)

Posted by Poco

Quoting Pit: Lil' Jon isn't a rapper. He makes beats. He just pops in and says "Yeah!" and "Okay" and "Skeet" in the songs he's produced.

The rap he does make is nothing more then him swearing alot. It's quite drab, really.

I like Beastie Boys and Del the Funky Homosapian, those are some good old school rappers/groups.

Posted by Outlaw

Quoting Opeth: I am almost a pure Metal Head these days. But, I wasn't always that way. I used to listen to rap back in the days. Now, it's more like [COLOR=Red]c[/COLOR]rap. NWA, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Eazy E, Sir Mixalot, that sort of stuff. That was some ok stuff as far as rap goes. I even listened to ICP for a spell. Though, that was entirely for the humor of it. But, that wore thin pretty quick. Come to think of it, almost all modern music sucks. At least, anything that's main stream. Now I'm just a picky Metal Head.

You should check out on 2pac's material too. He's deep and probably the realest rapper that ever lived. His stuff is poetry.

I agree with you though Lord of Spam, new school hip hop is junk. Rappers make no sense at all and always talk about shooting someone else for no reason (lame publicity stunts if u ask me). I only stick to the old ****. You should check out on Nas, Scarface, Rakim and Big L too.

Posted by Crazy K

I hate new rap. With the likes of Ludacris (who makes up words, and he cant rap at all). Lil Jon is just a peice of ****. Ja rule, im not going to even go there. Jay Z is another peice of junk in the closet. Fat Joe is one of the crappiest rappers I ever got to listen too. Sorry guys I dont like the beastie boys, I think they suck. :(

Even snoop dogg is getting stale in his rymes, and expecially with that one dude who sounds like a fregin chick.

I like the 90's rap. I like Tupac, Biggie, Eminem, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg (in the 90's), ICP, etc.

Nowadays rap has just got boring and stale. The only good rap nowadays is Afro man. :)

Posted by Creature

Ok all rap sucks, the only good music on the planet is rock or metal. So all of the people who listen to rap suck.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Creature: Ok all rap sucks, the only good music on the planet is rock or metal. So all of the people who listen to rap suck.

Holy ****, I suck. I'm sorry for sucking guys!

Posted by Azusa

Quoting Pit: Lil' Jon isn't a rapper. He makes beats. He just pops in and says "Yeah!" and "Okay" and "Skeet" in the songs he's produced.

I wouldn't be suprised if Lil John were some slightly retarded gimp that record companies kept in a cage somewhere. When they need him for a song they just prod him with a stick and he bellows out the obligatory three words in English that he knows.

Because of LoS and GTA:SA, I have a rudimentary understanding of old school rap now. Albeit I feel a little awkward, being a little white girl and all.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

My computer's hard drive died a few days earlier, so I needed to get a new one. And now since this thread is abandoned, I'm a bit late posting this:

[url=http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my?loc=1uw8g-Rough Rap Mix.mp3][img]http://www.tindeck.com/audio/image/b/1uw8g[/img][/url]

It's rap/hiphop I listen to. It's just a rough copy of samples from different songs and pasted into one, huge song.

Artists / Songs (I forgot who's in the mix):

??? / ???
Public Enemy / ???
Esham / Deadbody Man
??? [JetGrind Radio Soundtrack] / Rock The Mic
??? [Sonic Adventure 2 Soundtrack] / Knuckle's Theme
Lullaby For The Insane / Wolfpac
All These .... / Wolfpac
Patrol Knob / Mix Master Mike
Kixeretik / Animal Cannibals [not English]
If / Insane Clown Posse
Dog Beats / Inner City Posse
Bizzar / Insane Clown Posse
Santa Klaws / Insane Clown Posse
Spin The Bottle / Twiztid
Slim Anus / Insane Clown Posse - Eminem

I know. Sucky line up. :(

Posted by speedemon35

If you take Gwen Stefani into account and her trying to be a rapper thing, you'd probably shoot her as soon as you saw her in the street. So basicly...old rap is much better. The lyrics still mean something, while today....*sigh*

Posted by Acheron

Today they're trying to base an entire genre around the word bi[i][i]tch.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I strongly dislike rap.

Posted by Chronic

Rap = poop

Posted by Skitzo Control

Say what?! The Hammer says it's not about "old" or "new" rap, it's about who's got the mind to rhyme. You all know about the rap Go[b][/b]ds? They put me in the mix of all these rappers and let them all know that they just can't touch this.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting The Hammer: Say what?! The Hammer says it's not about "old" or "new" rap, it's about who's got the mind to rhyme. You all know about the rap Go[b][/b]ds? They put me in the mix of all these rappers and let them all know that they just can't touch this.

Please Hammer, don't hurt 'em!

Posted by taygovp

I am the self professed keeper of all things old skool and I couldn't agree more that today's rap is not only bad..but disrespectful. I've been plugged into hip-hop since afrika bambatta, baby. The cats today don't even make the effort anymore. It shouldn't even be called rap because all they do is sing hooks nowadays. Ludacris and Jay-Z are SUPER talented but they don't really talk about anything. Eminem is on a whole different level and has been since he first came on the scene. Nobody can mess with Em, well maybe Ludacris, and I'm not even an Eminem fan. You gotta respect the art though, and most don't. Rakim would still shred 95% of the cats out here today.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Yeah, cats usually lose to humans with guns. Unless it's a lion or some shit. Then they might have a chance.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting MetalVox~55: I strongly dislike rap.

requoted