Now Playing? (on an instrument!!!!)

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

what are you currently trying to play? Which instrument(s)? How far along? How well can you play it? Be honest!!!!

I'm currently halfway through Classical Gas, by Eric Clapton. It's a real biotch, and I've been playing it for 5 months or so now. It was the first song I decided to learn, so I'm doing alright. I can play 1/4 of it flawlessly, trudge through the next 1/4, and no idea on the rest.

Also, I'm learning Another Lonely Day, by Ben Harper. It's relatively easy, and I just started, but so far I'm about 10 measures into it and it's not that bad.

Just started playing Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac today too, it doesn't SEEM too hard thus far.

I'm also trying to play Layla by Eric Clapton, I can play the electric guitar version easily (it's pretty **** easy) but the MTV Unplugged version, where he uses an acoustic is givin me problems. He goes off on bluesy rampages that are unreal, and the electric version has 3 guitars so I can bull**** it and say "hey, I don't have backups!!" I need to just take a year on it like I have on CG to get it down, hah.

Last, but not least, I can play Silent Lucidity by Queensryche with semi ease (not hard), and I am trying to play What it is, by Mark Knopfel, and it's not that tough but I'm only like 20 measures into it. I just need to get the styles down and whatnot.

These are all on guitar, by the way.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Trying to master Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd on the guitar. Know the song I just forget the chords and parts of the solos sometimes. Also working on the organ to guitar version of Light My Fire by The Doors. Not very far in that one though.

Posted by Richaod

All on piano:

One Last Time - Dream Theater - obviously just the intro. I can't play it in as decorated a fashion as Jordan Rudess, but decently, and I've worked out my own way to play the 1337 bit.
The Four Horsemen - Metallica - both solos on guitar, and they sound great.
As I Am - Dream Theater - a little bit of the guitar solo eludes me, and it's too hard to do correctly on piano, but I should be okay with it on keyboards.
When The Water Breaks - Liquid Tension Experiment - certainly not all 16 minutes, just the fun piano bit at the end.

And I've just heard Silhouette by Opeth, which is just amazing, and probably not as hard as it seems.

I've already recorded One Last Time and When The Water Breaks, I just need my friend to upload them. :( Hopefully, I'll have the rest on Friday for those of you who don't believe me, because it seems hard enough.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Last song I played was Hope Leaves by Opeth

Posted by sabre

Roll The Bones, by Rush. On bass guitar.

I've mostly got it down. I just need to perfect the rhythms, and get a five-string so I can do the rappy bits.

Posted by Porcupine

Last song I played was Cemetery Gates by Pantera on guitar. Never looked at the solos so I improvise, but I can play the rest of the song pretty **** close.

Posted by Richaod

Oh, I forgot to mention the solos for One and Master Of Puppets, both by Metallica. :)

EDIT: And Jump In The Fire, once I manage to work out the start.

Posted by Granseal

Last song was Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton, before that I learned here comes the sun by the beatles

Posted by NegativeTrend

King Crimson - Cadence And Cascadence. Pretty simple song but man it songs beautiful.

Posted by Porcupine

Working on a song I'm writing, called Mercury Tide. Mostly keys, but I'm improving the guitar work right now.

Posted by G-Sides

I need to work on that one bridge near the end of 96 Quite Bitter Beings by CKY.

And i've almsot mastered The Ocean by Led Zeppelin.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I'm working on some stuff I've been writing. I always hear a good song in my head that I want to write, but don't have the skill to do it yet.

But honestly, I play:

Guitar, Piano, Drums, Bass, Mandolin, Violin, Trumpet, and Playstation.

Plus I sing pretty well too.

To hear what I'm talking about, click the link in my sig, or click [url=http://www.myspace.com/feion]HERE[/url].

And if you have a myspace account, please sign in and leave me a few comments.

Posted by Richaod

Everything at http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Host/Files/Richaod'sMusic.zip (which is pretty much what I posted before :p).

Posted by Shin_Akuma

I am currently learning the drums to Tornado Of Souls by megadeth, i've got it doen pretty much perfect except for one part that takes really good double bass pedal timing and alternating around the drums. I've almost got it down flawelessly though :)

Posted by MetalVox~55

last things I played were some arpeggio sweep patterns, followed by Harmonic Minor scale modes and a little thrashy Triplet riffage in Am or something.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting MetalVox~55: last things I played were some arpeggio sweep patterns, followed by Harmonic Minor scale modes and a little thrashy Triplet riffage in Am or something.

You can do arpeggio sweep patterns? 0_0 wow your good.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shin_Akuma: You can do arpeggio sweep patterns? 0_0 wow your good.

yeah. they're a ***** to learn, but once you get them down, they rock. :link:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/metalvox/SweepAm1.bmp[/IMG]
Am Sweeps

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting MetalVox~55: yeah. they're a ***** to learn, but once you get them down, they rock. :link:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/metalvox/SweepAm1.bmp[/IMG]
Am Sweeps

Cool ****, i'm starting to learn guitar and my goal is to be able to play arpeggio sweeps and different scale patterns etc. I know its going to take alot of hard work though, the drums naturally came to me but the guitar is a different story. What would be some good stuff to start out learning? I can already play simple stuff like Smells Like Teen Spirit, Walk, One *not including lead*, and Almost Honest by megadeth.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Start slow. Learn (YES, BUST YOUR ARSE OFF AND LEARN) your major and minor scales and your major and minor chords in the beginning. Once you can cleanly alternate pick your scales and do clean chord changes between all of the Major and Minor chords, move onto the scale modes (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian) and find how each fits into the other. From here, learn your intervals and how you can put different chords together (aka a Dominant 7th chord is a 1st, a 3rd, a 5th, and a flatted 7th). From there, it's the sky.

And when I mean start slow, I literally mean it. Go slow in the beginning. You will NOT be Petrucci or Malmsteen right off the bat. And invest in a Metronome. :link:

Posted by Shin_Akuma

lmao I know i'm not gonna be a bad *** shredder just starting out but thats my goal. Thanks

Posted by Creature

I must learn the solo to Stairway To Heaven I can play the rest but the solo is messed up

Posted by Ch

Right now I'm working on three songs.

the solo to Jane's Addiction's "Been caught Stealing"

The whole of Ozzy's "No Bone Movies"

And "Acapulco Sunrise" by Santana.

Posted by Richaod

I'm currently working on the guitar solo for As I Am by Dream Theater (adapting it for piano, it's about 90% done), and playing through some random Scarlatti sonata for piano.

Posted by Creature

Back in Black - AC/DC

That was the first song I learned how to play on guitar and it is the best one I can play.

Posted by G-Sides

Flesh Into Gear by CKY and Fight Fire With Fire by Metallica. 8-)

Posted by Richaod

Whee, Fight Fire With Fire is awesome.

I sort of adapted part of a Yngwie Malmsteen solo (from Rising Force, the song) and turned it into finger-tapping... It sounds great, but I can't really get the notes out clearly enough. And I suck at getting any sound at all from pull-offs, so I can't play the solo as it was actually recorded. But still, it's good.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Legato exercise in G major

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Richaod: Whee, Fight Fire With Fire is awesome.

Yeah, it is, and I can play it except for the ****ing double bass parts. I can play the millions of bass drum triplets though. :cool:

The last thing I played was "The Frayed Ends of Sanity".

Posted by -Shadow-

I just got finished completing "Bed of Razors" by Children of Bodom, so now I'm starting "Red Light in My Eyes" by the same band.
Those are my "Fun" songs I'm working on. The current exercise type thing I'm working on is "Flight of the Bumblebee"

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Irrelevant: Yeah, it is, and I can play it except for the ****ing double bass parts. I can play the millions of bass drum triplets though. :cool:

The last thing I played was "The Frayed Ends of Sanity".

I think fight fire with fire was the second song I learned on drums. It's definately good for excercising double bass pedal rolls, the double bass pedal is Larses bread and butter. The song for the most part is pretty simple *all metallica songs for the most part*. But it is really freaking tiring >_> Right now I just finished learning Tornado Of Souls and now im moving onto The Great Debate by Dream Theater. Talk about detail, Mike Portnoy is ****ing insane, I think I can do it but the speeding up and slowing down quickly and drastically changing beats is very hard to do. It takes me probably 20 trys just to go through the first minute listening to what hes doing. The first 2 minutes are pretty simple but then he starts going crazy with the double bass pedal. Fun song to learn...

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting -Shadow-: The current exercise type thing I'm working on is "Flight of the Bumblebee"

Thats a ***** and a half to play, but it's fun to play. Ask me if you have any questions on how to play it.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Shin_Akuma: I think fight fire with fire was the second song I learned on drums. It's definately good for excercising double bass pedal rolls, the double bass pedal is Larses bread and butter. The song for the most part is pretty simple *all metallica songs for the most part*. But it is really freaking tiring >_> Right now I just finished learning Tornado Of Souls and now im moving onto The Great Debate by Dream Theater. Talk about detail, Mike Portnoy is ****ing insane, I think I can do it but the speeding up and slowing down quickly and drastically changing beats is very hard to do. It takes me probably 20 trys just to go through the first minute listening to what hes doing. The first 2 minutes are pretty simple but then he starts going crazy with the double bass pedal. Fun song to learn...

A lot of Metallica is definitely very easy to learn. If I could double bass at 194 for 5 minutes, I could play Lars' hardest 80's song (Dyers Eve) but sadly my 120 bpm won't cut it. :) In fact, the only song that I can actually play that has straight double bass is Master of Puppets. :( But yeah, I'm getting really good with the bass triplets. Are you learning those songs from tabs or from listening to it? I suck at learning from both. Good luck with The Great Debate, by the way. (; How fast can you double bass? Do you have any exercises for working on it, because my progress is pretty slow (though my tightening the spring tension on my double pedal today may change my speed for better or worse).

By the way, The Glass Prison has some really mean double bass. :(

Posted by Porcupine

Black Math by The White Stripes on drums. Yes, very hard. :p

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Hold the Line by Toto

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Irrelevant: A lot of Metallica is definitely very easy to learn. If I could double bass at 194 for 5 minutes, I could play Lars' hardest 80's song (Dyers Eve) but sadly my 120 bpm won't cut it. :) In fact, the only song that I can actually play that has straight double bass is Master of Puppets. :( But yeah, I'm getting really good with the bass triplets. Are you learning those songs from tabs or from listening to it? I suck at learning from both. Good luck with The Great Debate, by the way. (; How fast can you double bass? Do you have any exercises for working on it, because my progress is pretty slow (though my tightening the spring tension on my double pedal today may change my speed for better or worse).

By the way, The Glass Prison has some really mean double bass. :(

Seeing as how I suck at reading tabs I just learn everything from ear, I can read basic 4/4 beats but thats about it. And about your queston on how to get faster on the double bass pedal, I actually put small weights around my ankles when I first started learning so that when I stopped using the weights I could play twice as fast. So right now I can play about 205 bpm on the double bass pedal. And yeah pretty much the entire six degress of inner turbulance has some crazy double bass and drumming, thats why i'm learning it, because its a challenge. Good luck on fight fire with fire also, a good excercise for triplets and etc is practicing quad hits and double bass alternating. A good example is the intro to Skin O' My Teeth by megadeth. Basicly just start out on the first tom and do a quick 4 hit bounce then 2 hits from the double bass pedal, another quick 4 hits bounce on the other tom 2 hits from the double bass and just repeat that quickly all the way to the bass drum and then end with one hit on the snare. This builds up technique and percise timing, it will especially make triplets at quick speeds easier. Well thats pretty much the advice I have for you. If you need any more advice dont hesitate to ask.

Posted by Porcupine

2112 by Rush, on Guitar.

A little trickier than what I had on earlier.

Posted by Acheron

I just finished playing "Another One Bites the Dust" by striking my throat with a pencil repeatedly. I am **** good at that, and I should probably send you guys a recording sometime.

Posted by KoH

I love that song, Acheron. You better as hell had done it justice.

Posted by KoH

Delete that, someone. Please... before I lose my temper... You don't want to see me angry.. :(

Posted by africanpitbull

delete my message?

Posted by Vampire Slayer

I'm learing to play Dazed and Confused on the Bass. I'm not doing to bad since I am teaching myself bass by using tabs. I've also learned to play Feel Good Inc. by the Gorillaz.

Posted by sabre

Just finished playing I Walk Beside You, by Dream Theater, on my six-string bass.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Sabredog: Just finished playing I Walk Beside You, by Dream Theater, on my six-string bass.

How is the new 6-Stringer, Bobbart?

Posted by sabre

Very rad. I actually find it easier to play than the four string; it feels so much more natural to hold.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Sabredog: Very rad. I actually find it easier to play than the four string; it feels so much more natural to hold.

Get really good, move to the states, and come play for me. :link:

Last time I played guitar was for Vampy over MSN.

Posted by Gollum

Played double bass at 136 bpm for no reason. My previous max was 120 about a week ago, and I haven't done any real work on it since. I don't know why I was able to do it so much faster earlier today, but I can't do it right now, for sure.

^ on my new drum set lol, which sounds like infinity times better than my old, broken, duct-taped skins kit.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Irrelevant: Played double bass at 136 bpm for no reason. My previous max was 120 about a week ago, and I haven't done any real work on it since. I don't know why I was able to do it so much faster earlier today, but I can't do it right now, for sure.

^ on my new drum set lol, which sounds like infinity times better than my old, broken, duct-taped skins kit.

now do it at 100 in triplets ;)

Posted by Gollum

Quoting MetalVox~55: now do it at 100 in triplets ;)

lol, f u. change that to sixteenth notes and i can play 45 bpm faster than that. :cool: but i've never actually tried doing triplets.

which proves that i can beat you in an instrument battle, as i said before. :link:

Posted by MetalVox~55

I can to 16ths at 200 on my metronome. still wanna take me up on that?

Posted by Gollum

pfft. I can play sixteenths at 201 with my hands too. And my feet are probably quicker than yours, so haha I win.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Irrelevant: pfft. I can play sixteenths at 201 with my hands too. And my feet are probably quicker than yours, so haha I win.

a one bpm increase isn't anything. and I don't play drums, so my feet aren't a factor here.

Posted by Porcupine

Blood Brothers by Iron Maiden on guitar. :)

Posted by Gollum

Quoting MetalVox~55: a one bpm increase isn't anything. and I don't play drums, so my feet aren't a factor here.

Fine. We'll say we're even.

I'm just kidding, I've only played drums for 1 and a quarter years, so I'm not that great.

Still, I bet I could beat Porcupine at drums. :)

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Are you self taught on the drums or are you getting lessons? I've technically been playing four years but I didnt really start trying and bust my *** until a year and a half ago, then I started getting lessons. Oh yeah and just as quick fact, the fastest drummer in the world plays 1512 hits in a minute with ONE hand. And the fastest double bass player can git 16 hits per second, which is effing insane.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Shin_Akuma: Are you self taught on the drums or are you getting lessons? I've technically been playing four years but I didnt really start trying and bust my *** until a year and a half ago, then I started getting lessons. Oh yeah and just as quick fact, the fastest drummer in the world plays 1512 hits in a minute with ONE hand. And the fastest double bass player can git 16 hits per second, which is effing insane.

I've been doing lessons since I started, but we do mostly rudimental stuff on the practice pad. Interestingly, I listened to a clip of Tim Waterson (the fastest double-basser ever) today. It sounds like multiple machine guns all going off at once. Cool stuff.

Posted by auzzman5151

Finally learned to play the intro to Spirit of the Radio by Rush. I had the whole song down except that. I never could do that until now.

Posted by Richaod

Continuous double-bass drumming (mainly in power/black metal) really annoys me. It's skilful and the guys who do it are talented, but it just sounds bad, especially with the really high "...And Justice For All"-type bass drum sound.

Anyway, I'm playing Randy Rhoads' guitar solo from Crazy Train (by Ozzy Osbourne), and for once, not actually on keyboards. I can do most of it, but some of the descending scales are a bit... past me.

Posted by loony636

I'm playing the well-known (NOT!!!) jazz song Study in Latin on the Piano. I'm at AMEB grade 3. All my other pieces are classical and uniteresting.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Richaod: Continuous double-bass drumming (mainly in power/black metal) really annoys me. It's skilful and the guys who do it are talented, but it just sounds bad, especially with the really high "...And Justice For All"-type bass drum sound.

Not really, but it's all a matter of opinion. I think constant DBDing sounds wicked.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Irrelevant: I've been doing lessons since I started, but we do mostly rudimental stuff on the practice pad. Interestingly, I listened to a clip of Tim Waterson (the fastest double-basser ever) today. It sounds like multiple machine guns all going off at once. Cool stuff.

Rudiments are great to practice, right now i'm doing a mix of rudiments, flaming, and switching from left hand independance to right hand independance. It can be pretty brain scrambling doing so many different things at the same time T_T

Posted by Porcupine

The last thing I played was the solo from In Flames' "The Hive" on guitar. Kinda messed up the little thing after the tapping, but I only just found the tab. Pretty good shot.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Last thing I played was this Bm riffage song piece thing that could be definately benefit from the added Low B of a 7 String guitar.

Posted by Richaod

I'm going through the guitar solo to Another Day, of course by Dream Theater. It's certainly not the hardest of John Petrucci's solos, but undoubtedly one of the best-written. I can actually pull off alternate-picked scales pretty decently now, so I'm happy. Of course, I can't play it to the standard of Petrucci himself (unless you give me a keyboard), but well enough. I like it.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Deep Purple's Strange Kind Of Woman.

Posted by MetalVox~55

a detuned guitar down to a 7-String tuning.

B
G
D
A
E
B

Man, was that hard to keep everything in tune :(

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55: a detuned guitar down to a 7-String tuning.

B
G
D
A
E
B

Man, was that hard to keep everything in tune :(

Heh, my acoustic's tuned to C#, F#, B, D, A, E. Inspired by Dark Tranquillity (and my love of C# minor) and because I'm annoyed that the fourth and fifth strings aren't normally tuned to fourth intervals like... the others.

Posted by TheSecondComing

My band made a new song yesterday, so I was playing that. Kind of fast and punky.

Posted by Porcupine

The End of All Hope by Nightwish on the drums.

Posted by Gollum

The opening drum parts to Under a Glass Moon by Dream Theater. I've made no effort to learn the actual song, but I can play that part. Fun.

Posted by -Shadow-

"Windowpane" by Opeth

I needed a break from the last 5 or so months of playing nothing but Children of Bodom, so I decided to play something a bit more mellow. Ok, a lot more mellow.

Posted by Porcupine

I've just been trying various things out on drums and guitars for a song I'm writing. :)

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting -Shadow-: "Windowpane" by Opeth

I needed a break from the last 5 or so months of playing nothing but Children of Bodom, so I decided to play something a bit more mellow. Ok, a lot more mellow.

Bodom, for as good as they are, get old real fast. Their songs are ok, but Alexi's leads are more mechanic than thought-out.

Last thing I played was some riffage on the 7-String i'm going to be getting at NAMM yesterday.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

I'm almost done with The Great Debate and im now starting As I Am by Dream Theater.

Posted by -Shadow-

Quoting MetalVox~55: Bodom, for as good as they are, get old real fast. Their songs are ok, but Alexi's leads are more mechanic than thought-out.

True, but they still remain my favorite metal band ;)

Posted by Porcupine

A National Acrobat by Black Sabbath on guitar.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Shin_Akuma: I'm almost done with The Great Debate and im now starting As I Am by Dream Theater.

Seriously!? Make videos for us!

Posted by MetalVox~55

Trying to figure out the lead to Evergrey's "Essence of Conviction"

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Irrelevant: Seriously!? Make videos for us!

If I could take my webcam into my garage I would.

Posted by MetalVox~55

some old Iced Earth riff...i'm rusty on that style of picking. Alternate picking has ruined me (in a good way :cool: ).

Posted by MetalVox~55

double post:

Musical modes exercises.
Ionian Dorian Phrygian Lydian Mixolydian Aeolian Locrian rock my world :)

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Here and Now.

It's an original song that I've written, and I'm still working out a few kinks in it, but it's coming along nicely.

Posted by MetalVox~55

A basic chromatic scale for a student to learn.

Posted by Killer Jordo

Family guy theme on tenor saxophone. Soon I'll be starting up guitar though.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Anything and everything. I got a new amp today :cool:

Posted by MetalVox~55

A song of mine that i'm working solos for.

Posted by junior senior

Going To California on my cello. :cool:

Posted by Richaod

Some random semi-improvised piano adaptation of Sacrificed Sons by Dream Theater.

Posted by Ch

The Trooper on Guitar.

Posted by Porcupine

Thunder Underground on the drums.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

On the drums- Becoming, by Pantera

Posted by Gollum

The first 5 minutes of Metropolis Pt. 1 by Dream Theater. Sadly, my fingers are all cut up and blistery from going on a 3 week vacation and then bashing on drums the moment I got back, and then going away for a week and repeating that, to even more loss of skin on my fingers. I'm sad. :(

Posted by MetalVox~55

John Petrucci's "Wild Stringdom" Chapter 2 exercises.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting Irrelevant: The first 5 minutes of Metropolis Pt. 1 by Dream Theater. Sadly, my fingers are all cut up and blistery from going on a 3 week vacation and then bashing on drums the moment I got back, and then going away for a week and repeating that, to even more loss of skin on my fingers. I'm sad. :(

I've never had that happen to me o.o Are you holding your sticks wrong or something?

Posted by Porcupine

Pas Si Simple by Yann Tiersen on the Accordion.

Posted by MetalVox~55

9:45 to 11:06 with a metronome on major scale patterns and sweep arpeggio cleaning up-ing.

Posted by Porcupine

Anotherdrinkingsong by Skyclad on the accordion.

Posted by MetalVox~55

John Petrucci Wild Stringdom chapter 2 exercises at 100 bmp in 16th notes.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting MetalVox~55: Start slow. Learn (YES, BUST YOUR ARSE OFF AND LEARN) your major and minor scales and your major and minor chords in the beginning. Once you can cleanly alternate pick your scales and do clean chord changes between all of the Major and Minor chords, move onto the scale modes (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian) and find how each fits into the other. From here, learn your intervals and how you can put different chords together (aka a Dominant 7th chord is a 1st, a 3rd, a 5th, and a flatted 7th). From there, it's the sky.

And when I mean start slow, I literally mean it. Go slow in the beginning. You will NOT be Petrucci or Malmsteen right off the bat. And invest in a Metronome. :link:

The man speaks truth.

You won't be Petrucci for quite some time.

Honestly, I didn't play an electric until I had played accoustic for about 4 years. Then I picked up electric, and bought a bunch of Metallica CDs... Heh.

Anyway, there's this [url=http://www.myspace.com/scribbled]band[/url] that wants me to play [url=http://www.personal.rdg.ac.uk/~sssogadr/afp/dwcon02/m082_anejo-bass.jpg]bass[/url] for them, so I'm [url=http://www.imperial.ac.uk/educationaldevelopment/images/ced/l2learn04-cover04.jpg]learning[/url] their songs on [url=http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fishspecs/rockbass.gif]bass[/url]. Pretty easy stuff. Should have it down within a few [url=http://www.hbschool.com/glossary/math2/images/gr1/hour_hand1a.gif]hours[/url].

Posted by Porcupine

Jet City Woman by Queensr

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Learning on drums, Enemies Of Reality- Nevermore.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Good Times, Bad Times by Led Zepplin (on guitar)

It's simple, but it's a good tune :D

Posted by MetalVox~55

The more complex riffages of "Master's Apprentices" by Opeth

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Trying to learn Acid Rain by Liquid Tension Experiment. Getting these triplet diddles out crisp and clean is a *****. Other then that the song is pretty easy for the most part.

Posted by -Shadow-

I'm working on a solo to one of my songs.

Posted by sabre

The Trees, by Rush. On bass.

Posted by MetalVox~55

i'm at work, so the last thing i played was drums! :D

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Quoting MetalVox~55: i'm at work, so the last thing i played was drums! :D

Awesome. How many pieces is it? I need some more stuff for my drum set, it's only a 6 piece :[

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shin_Akuma: Awesome. How many pieces is it? I need some more stuff for my drum set, it's only a 6 piece :[

It was a R.E.T. kit. My boss is the president of that company.

http://www.retpercussion.us/

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

kansas-dust in the wind

while drunk, nonetheless

Posted by Porcupine

Oops I Did It Again on guitar. CoB style. :cool:

Posted by Richaod

The keyboard part of Take The Time, by Dream Theater. The solo itself is nearly impossible to play by ear for some baffling reason, and it has a distinctly unique Kevin Moore feel that sounds great, unlike some Rudess solos that mainly consist of weird bends (Sacrificed Sons, anyone?). The dual guitar/keyboard bit right before the solo is harder than it seems, but playable.

Posted by Porcupine

Last thing I played was The Lovecats by The Cure on piano. Cool.

Posted by MetalVox~55

band riffage. working out a pretty cool Em 3/4 triplet riff.

Posted by -Shadow-

What Dives the Weak - Shadows Fall

I knew it roughly before, but now I figured it out exactly. Kick *** song I may add. Pretty good song to play for fun as it's not too hard, nor too easy to just sit down and learn.

Posted by Richaod

Flight of the Bumblebee on piano. I'm working out the right-hand part first, but my copy doesn't have the fingering so it's pretty impossible.

Posted by Porcupine

Tetris Song A on the keyboard.

Posted by Gollum

Pull Me Under and Metropolis Pt. 1 by Dream Theater on drums. I'm quite good at them now.

Posted by The Punisher

Inagadavida by iron butterfly
And Slayer-Rain in Blood. Both on bass. Also this new song that the band im in are wroking on.

Posted by Porcupine

Some Bb bass riffage I've been playing with all day. It's pretty neat. :cool:

Posted by The Punisher

Im learning to play Sweet Dreams on Bass. Its too easy... =)

Posted by MetalVox~55

new riffages!

E
B
G
D----------------------------------------------------9-8----8
A--7-----9-----10------------7------9-----10----6-------10---10-9-12-9-10
E----0-0---0-0----0-0-0-0-0----0-0---0-0----7-8----------------------------11

Posted by The Punisher

Whoa Metal, im thinking you need to do this for me.

Go to Radio Shack or the closest Elctronic store, buy one of the Guitar Chord convertors that allow you to put a guitar chord in one end and plug the other end into your computer. Record it to your pc, and change the file to an mp3 with an Mp3 convertor, then send me this file VIA Aim. lol. That looks like an insane riff.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting The Punisher: Whoa Metal, im thinking you need to do this for me.

Go to Radio Shack or the closest Elctronic store, buy one of the Guitar Chord convertors that allow you to put a guitar chord in one end and plug the other end into your computer. Record it to your pc, and change the file to an mp3 with an Mp3 convertor, then send me this file VIA Aim. lol. That looks like an insane riff.

If I could be bothered converting it to a midi with Guitar Pro, I would. There's no need to do all of that. :)

I've basically perfected the Take The Time keyboard solo - that is, the synchronized guitar/keyboard bit before the solo itself. It seems like Kevin Moore attempted to make it as difficult as possible, while still playable. There are just way too many black keys involved. :(

I should record it.

Posted by The Punisher

Lol yeah that works too. I just dont know the tempo or anything else or I would have Matt play it, he's our lead guitarist.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting The Punisher: Whoa Metal, im thinking you need to do this for me.

Or i can just record it with the line 6 Guitar port i have. either way.

it's about 145 bpm, 3/4, triplet pattern. ONE two three ONE two three, etc

Anyway:

band practice on sunday went well. new song in the works. :)

Posted by Porcupine

Quoting MetalVox~55: new riffages!

E
B
G
D----------------------------------------------------9-8----8
A--7-----9-----10------------7------9-----10----6-------10---10-9-12-9-10
E----0-0---0-0----0-0-0-0-0----0-0---0-0----7-8----------------------------11

haha, new. good one.

I'm just playing Tetris songs on guitar. :)

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Right now i'm practicing a drum solo i'll be performing for my drum teacher, it's basically my final exam for my lessons. I don't wanna stop them :(

Posted by MetalVox~55

sight reading practice.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Anything and Everything in Bm! New 7-string guitar!

Posted by Gollum

NOT Metropolis Pt. 1 or Pull me Under by Dream Theater, because I BROKE THE SPRING ON MY DOUBLE BASS PEDAL. I have about $400 CAD saved up right now, so I'm trying to find a second bass drum, but finding a 16x22 bass drum in midnight blue color made by Tama in the Rockstar line is ****ing hard.

Posted by The Punisher

Dude that sucks... I felt the same way once but my bass guitar pedal wasn

Posted by Shin_Akuma

I busted the head on my bass drum :( Now its all crappily taped up with electric tape. But its actually suprisingly getting the job done!

Posted by Porcupine

That's just super.

Last thing I played was Trollhammaren by Finntroll on accordion.

Posted by The Punisher

Quoting Shin_Akuma: I busted the head on my bass drum :( Now its all crappily taped up with electric tape. But its actually suprisingly getting the job done!

It does, My freind does that, and his worked, just that the stick goes through it everyonce in a while and has to be taped again. Although he realy needs new heads on his kit, no actualy, he just needs a new kit.

Posted by G-Sides

[On guitar], I'm playing...

Chariot Choogle - Fantomas
Tired Of Sex - Weezer (working on the bass parts)

and I'm figuring out new ways to tap.

Posted by sabre

I've been playing a whole load of stuff just now. Dream Theater - Full Circle, Ayreon - Day Eleven: Love, and Pop Goes the Weasel, on the six string. I think I want to start composing some shat, now. ;o

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Some sh*t that I'm writing. I haven't titled it yet, but I'm thinking of a title like "without you". Once I get a rough copy of it written, I'll post it.

Posted by MetalVox~55

band riffage.

Quoting Fei-on: Some sh*t that I'm writing. I haven't titled it yet, but I'm thinking of a title like "without you". Once I get a rough copy of it written, I'll post it.

please no more emo songs. :(

Posted by The Punisher

Quoted post: please no more emo songs.

-THE PUNISHERS AGREES 100%-

Yeah im not realy into emo, infact I usaly find any reason to make fun of the girl pants wearing freindless fa[COLOR="White"]gg[/COLOR]ots. Ive been playing some Rush and a lot of Tool.