system won't come up on screen

Posted by azcattitude

I acquired a nes system for our family (I used to love it) and I hooked everything up but it wont come up on the tv screen. I tried both channels 3 and 4 and all I get is snow. Also the red light that shows it has power flashes off and on I dont think it should do that. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Posted by bazariah

for the fuzzy snow try tuning it in, using the fine tune manual controls on the tv set, or if you have acess to av leads use those instead as you dont need to tune it in like you do with rf

as for the flashing it could be a dirty game, so use a solution of rubbing alchohol and water on cotten bud or cue tip, rub it back and forth along the contacts then use another to dry

another idea is to use the wiggle trick, insert cart turn on, if flashing turn off then move cart a bit to the left or right

another idea is that the edge connecter inside the machine is simply knackered if this is the case check out ebay for a new 72-pin connecter

[URL=http://www.nesplayer.com/technical/blinkingscreen/blinkpt2.htm]read this, it'll explain better[/URL]

Posted by azcattitude

Thanks Bazariah, I did everything you said and was able to get it onto the screen but the flashing light continues and the game flashes on the screen as well. I think it may be the rf adapter. I am going to replace it and see. Will let you know. Thanks again. I never imagined that people still used these dinosaurs. This is a great site.

Posted by bazariah

if the game is still flashing it's probably the games edge connecter or the 72-pin inside, clean them both, or alternativley insert a cart then move it slightly to the left or right

then another theory i have is that the game may not be from your region, before i convert a nes to run american/euro games i always check it with a game from a different region, the title pops up then it flashes off again so it maybe an incompatible game, let me know though

yeah theres a few avid players here, collecters even :D