Devil May Cry 3

Posted by gamecorner

Capcom's upcoming Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening since the game first dropped jaws at last year's E3. The third installment of the stylish action series has promised a sexy return to violent form that was missing from the franchise's sophomore title. Previous demos of the game that we've seen haven't called such promise into question in the slightest. If anything, they've only made it clearer that DMC3 is likely to be the best installment in the series yet. We have more to say about the upcoming game now that we've clocked some time with a new build with some previously unseen levels. So, what's the word? Read on to find out.

Dante's Awakening chronicles the gross dysfunction of the famous demon hunter's family.
Much has been made of DMC3's return to the spirit of the original game, which was one of the coolest titles on the block when it hit back in 2001. However, DMC3 is much more than just a retread of the best aspects of the original game. This game is very much its own beast, and it improves on the coolest aspects of the original with some daring new ideas that appear to be working out very well.

There are several new aspects to the experience that are worth calling out in DMC3. Foremost is the game's story, which is set prior to the original game and follows the adventures of a young Dante as he clashes with his sibling, Virgil. This prequel time frame presents a very different Dante from the cool demon killer that we know and love. Dante's actually kind of an immature punk this time out, but from what we've seen so far he manages to still have that winning charm. Young Dante is pretty high-strung and comes packing a hefty amount of sass, which ends up working for him. While we can't reveal too much about the game's story, which contains many a plot twist, suffice it to say that Dante's family is a little dysfunctional.

Besides affecting Dante's personality, his youth and inexperience impact his abilities pretty significantly. Young Dante ends up lacking many of the powerful abilities his older self had in the original game, but the unique new gameplay system provides the perfect compensation. As has been noted since the game's unveiling, you'll now be able to pick from several different fighting styles for Dante to use. The gunslinger style will give Dante extra shooting abilities and will let him aim his guns in different directions; swordmaster gives him better close-up melee moves; trickster emphasizes evasive moves that let Dante run up walls and perform other dodge maneuvers; and royal guard is an aikido-like style, which lets you perform counters for attacks directed at you. While we can't talk about the other styles yet, players should be aware that there will be more than these four in the game from which you'll be able to choose.

Choosing a style ends up being a key aspect of Dante's Awakening, as the style you choose will affect your experience with the game. The thinking is that all of the included styles are so different that just about any player will find one that suits his or her preferences. You'll be able to level up the styles as you go, because you'll be gaining new abilities as you advance. Your abilities will be enhanced by the mighty arsenal of primary and secondary weapons at Dante's disposal, which includes pistols, swords, and more esoteric stuff that is a blast to play. Once you start to get through the game you'll be able to increase Dante's abilities to include some of his signature moves, such as his demon form. The resulting mayhem that can ensue as you mix and match everything is a very satisfying experience.

The game's structure is similar to its predecessors, but before you start exploring the areas to complete a given level's objectives, you'll have the option to customize Dante however you see fit. This basically means you can pick his fighting style and the weapons you'll take into a level. So far, what we've liked most is that you really won't be penalized for sticking with one style. Sure, some levels and enemy encounters may take much longer to get through because your style isn't the best suited for dealing with them, but eventually you'll get through and it helps you to master that style.

Dante's multiple fighting styles give the game a lot of depth and replay value.
The other major tweak to the gameplay is the combo system, which passes judgment on your skills as you play and tallies up the success and style of your attacks. When you first start to play the game, the combo system will likely not be on your radar as you familiarize yourself with the controls and the unique moves for the fighting style you've chosen. However, once you get comfortable with how everything works, you'll find that the system is an addictive and challenging aspect of the experience. The assorted attacks and combos you perform will begin chains that the game will track and rate you on at the end of a level, bestowing letter grades and catchy one-word assessments of your performance. Earning the highest honors will be extremely challenging given the game's difficulty, but there's nothing quite like earning yourself an "S" after a challenging level. (That's the best rank, in case you didn't know.)
The Devil May Cry games aren't exactly known for being a walk in the park. How's this latest one treating us after a few levels? Read on to find out.
[IMG]http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/ps2/devilmaycry3/logo.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/005/920607_20050106_screen001.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Crazy K

I doubt I will get the game. I never liked Devil May Cry all that much so I doubt I will like this one. But who knows I might give it a chance.

Posted by Bebop

I've never played any of the titles but am keen to give them a try. I do dislkie the cliche, somewhat overrtaed character that is Dante and aren't totally into gothic horror themed games. However I've seen clips of play so perhaps the action styled gameplay will suffice.

Posted by Arczu

I like it. They force you to be good at the game because if you aren't... well then you will die.

This should also be ample redemption from DMC2, which to many fans was indeed, a dissapointment. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Posted by Fiindil

Quoting Arczu]

Posted by Mafia-lord03

I think the game will be ok but i have to say the very first one was my favorite so far, thats only my opinion i dont care much i dont play that game often

Posted by sephiroth_theunborn

I like Devil May Cry so far its the best one because I play the 2nd one and I was dissapointed. But I heared that the thrid one will be better I hope, It's supposed to be the best one out of the three.

Posted by buddha

Quoting gameslasher: I can't wait till it comes out as soon as it does I am there to buy it as quick as they come out. The first one was ok, the second was better I just thank that the computer's A.I. Is not high enough, the enemies are really easy to kill in all the titles so far, I mean even the boss'es were easy, but maybe the third one will be more promiseing.I can only hope!!

What do you mean 'even the bosses were easy' If there is one thing i remember about devil may cry its the difficulty.There are a number of settings ranging from easy to the emmensly difficult dante must die difficulty.If the bosses are easy raise the difficulty setting.

Posted by Seproth

This game is freaking awesome! You get to do crazy things. I'm gonna rent it at friday.

Posted by Arczu

*Revives Thread*

Anybody played this here yet? And don't you guys dare say something stupid like "It wasn't hard I beat it in 3 hours so easyyyy lol" crap, or I'll kick yer grass!

Aside from the multiple difficuties, the AI has some tweakes that are creeping me out. The fact that an enemy can adapt to the way you play is something cool for a change. I've yet to play it, but I will definately get the chance later on. From what I see, this game's multiple difficulty levels will have some people saying "Speak of the Devil" one too many times... or something like that...

Anybody? I'm freaking exited!

Posted by buddha

The games difficulty is exadurated, at least on normal difficulty setting!

Posted by boomstick

I rented it, I'm only on the 3rd mission, thus far thus good, it's got that fasted paced hack 'n' slash action that I love, it's not all that difficult thus far, but I've only played through 2 missions.

Posted by Virgil07

ok, here's the thing with Devil May Cry. Either you're gonna love it or you're gonna hate it. Basically, it all depends on the type of gamer you are and the types of games you play. Those that like difficult games with gothic horror action with a whole lot of style definitely wanna check out this game. If action games with impossible stories and characters aren't your thing then let it alone. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and making you play the game alright? As for me, I was entranced by the story, characters, gameplay, and coolness of the game.
-see ya

Posted by F4Z

this game is wicked by the way anyone on aol connection

Posted by Arczu

I don't think being on AOL is the subject in here.

I want to play it... but I have to shell out $80 to get it... that's mad. I have to wait till it gets to a reasonalbe price range.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Arczu]One store was selling it for $69.99 CAD (which when you add the taxes, it may as well round up to $80). And going into american currency, it basically comes to $50. It sounds cheaper, but it depends on how you look at it.

Most new games come out pricey like that. It's kinda rediculous. And lots of the one-to-two year-old games are $29 to $49. Kinda sucks a bit if you aren't looking to sped too much these days.

But Devil May Cry 3 may be one exeption we rarely make. My brother is so hyped he's willing to pay for 70% of it (leavin' only a $24 hit for me).

Posted by boomstick

Ah, 80 in Canadian, makes more sense now.

Posted by Riku

i beat the game! it was freakin hard but i did it. ive been wanting to get the first one but since there is such a big time gap between the making of the 2 games, im wondering what are the differences between them? its the only thing holding me back from getting it. is the 2nd one any good?

Posted by Bebop

I didnt really enjoy the first one and havent played the 2nd. 3rd installment isnt much different so I dislike the gameplay.

But my main beef is with Dante. What possessed someone to create the most obviously bisexual character ever? The cutscenes are too cheesy. So cheesy capcom has a 2nd disc just for cheese. I hate the cutscenes more than Jesus himself.

Posted by buddha

Quoting Virgil07: I'm glad i live in the US. Theres no way i'd be able to pay that much for a game. Actually, I think the current US price is too much. I mean you pay $50 for a game that(if it's good) you'll probably only play for a few months. At least that's the way it is for me.

HA! a few months,Top class games will keep most people busy for only a few weeks.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Bebop: What possessed someone to create the most obviously bisexual character ever?

Because it's common knowledge, bisexuals have the most fun. :)

Posted by Riku

Quoting Bebop: I didnt really enjoy the first one and havent played the 2nd. 3rd installment isnt much different so I dislike the gameplay.

But my main beef is with Dante. What possessed someone to create the most obviously bisexual character ever? The cutscenes are too cheesy. So cheesy capcom has a 2nd disc just for cheese. I hate the cutscenes more than Jesus himself.

but are there any specific changes in the games that would make the gameplay any different

Posted by Arczu

Finally bought this game, and I think it was worth it.

Let me tell you: if your gonna get seirous with this game, you might want to start on easy. Seriously, I'm getting my butt handed to me by Cerberus (First big Boss in game).

You pick a style to play (but by default, you are set to Trickter) and can pretty much do all the moves you could in DMC2; including running up walls and shoot the guns in two different directions at once. The rating (you know, when you start bashing the baddies good, a word would appear on screen like "Cool!") has a guage that rises as you do different moves or hit multiple enemies at once. This new system won't drop you back to D if you manage to start hitting an enemy around again quickly. It's fun...

..for about the first two levels, then you start to find it hard to dodge attacks and generally watch your back. The gameplay is a bit different in a good way. It's waay easier to pull of many attacks. I mean, there are a lot of changes, but you wouldn't find too many, but rather be amused with the new elements.

Posted by Riku

Quoting Arczu]
..for about the first two levels, then you start to find it hard to dodge attacks and generally watch your back. The gameplay is a bit different in a good way. It's waay easier to pull of many attacks. I mean, there are a lot of changes, but you wouldn't find too many, but rather be amused with the new elements.[/size]

i was lookin for the difference between the 3rd and 1st. i beat the 3rd. what is the first like

Posted by RandomizeR

Quoting Riku: i beat the game! it was freakin hard but i did it. ive been wanting to get the first one but since there is such a big time gap between the making of the 2 games, im wondering what are the differences between them? its the only thing holding me back from getting it. is the 2nd one any good?

First off, what difficulties did you beat it on? You will definately notice a big difference in gameplay going from 3 to 1. And personally I think DMC2 was an ok game. I don't know why everyone hates it so much. I'm on level 15 on Hard Mode on DMC3.

Posted by Chronic

I got Devil May cry 3 but I thought it was waaay too hard. I got stuck on that level with the friggin dog.

Posted by buddha

The game is great but I certainly would'nt put it up against the unbelievable NINJA GAIDEN!.....................oops thats on xbox only.

Posted by Arczu

If your looking for S ranks you definately will NOT be seeing any of those anytime soon.

Comparing both games, they have the same playstyle. Gaiden's prospect is that you do what a Ninja does. Defeating enemies without being touched and other things. That is hard to do. Dante, in a way, can do the same thing, but he uses weapons, surrounding objects... even a motor cycle to beat on his enemies. NG has a pretty hardcore ranking system. but that's not the subject here.

Something of a pain, but how the HELL do you get an S for Style ranking? I always come close at 4600 or whatever it is, but never the push to do it. It's annoying because in most stages I've managed to maintain a "SSStylish!!!" rating for awhile when beating on demons (and some bosses).

Posted by Disturbed_one

to get a higher ranking when fighting u need to do as many different maves as possible with out repeating them and switch between melee weapons often then when enimes are out of melee weapon range use ebony&ivory and blast the **** out of them constantly untill u get close enough and moev around as much as possible so u do not get hit!!!!!!

Posted by Da Masta

Devil may cry 3 rocks, i have played all three.
number 1 and 3 are the best, 2 was a let down and Bebop has never played a real game before.Did you know that player 2 can play as your shadow.(works best with infinite devil trigger)

Posted by Bebop

Quoting boomstick: Because it's common knowledge, bisexuals have the most fun. :)

That's just something fags say

Posted by Da Masta

I suppose you should know all about that wouldnt you Bebop.

Posted by dante_M.K.5

Posted by sabre

Love the game, but really stupid noob question.

I'm onto level seven, but why can't I use Agni and Rudra yet? I'd assume it'd because I'm only level two swordmaster, would that have anything to do with it?