Rockin' out

Posted by TheSecondComing

Lately I've really been getting into a lot of good, straight, sludgy, hardasfuck, arsekicking, bass drum walloping into your skull, pure 'rocking out' songs. As a person who predominantly listens to quieter, more complex, and I guess technically better indie and postrock, I've really grown to appreciate songs that just kick out the jams and blast out so that you can't hear the damn lyrics. So I made this thread for discussion of songs that 'rock out' and toss 'beauty' aside for pure ugly drum walloping.

Okay, so the first paragraph of this may have been a bit off-kilter, but please keep reading as I'm sure my good ole rock and roll elation will ease off soon. So far most of the stuff I've been listening to has been grunge-era. Nirvana's 'Bleach' album stands out - it really is an amazing album, that has the aural effect of punching you in the guts. Apparently this album is a ripoff of the Melvins style, so I hope to investigate their early work a bit more as well. 'Negative Creep' and 'Paper Cuts' are probably the stand out tracks on the album - the former is probably more accessible, but the later really obscure and obscene, with its own thunderous air to it.

The Smashing Pumpkins are another band that I've been playing air guitar to lately; Billy Corgan manages to mesh an indie ethic into rock and roll, to good effect on their first few albums. He also knows what to do when a good riff falls into his lap. I've mainly been listening to their debut, 'Gish', and I must say that I find the dodgy, late 80s alternative, stock production to be compelling. Billy Corgan and James Iha are probably my favourite two guitarists solo wise, and Jimmy Chamberlin has got to be the goddamn greatest drummer ever. 'I Am One' is great listening, as is 'Siva' with a wonderful quiet section and 'Tristessa' as an accessible single. If you ever see their 'Vieuphoria' DVD in a store, keep in mind that they get even better live. 'Siamese Dream', the album following 'Gish', is also great listening if you feel like headbanging.

Refused are a punk band from Sweden or something, I'm not sure, but their 'The Shape of Punk To Come' album truly was groundbreaking and ahead of its time in a music industry that loves overusing those words. Although I listen to few bands that could fit into the same 'area' as Refused, I think they're labelled as 'punkcore', but let me put aside that label and just say that they hit hard, fast, and intelligently. 'Refused Are Fuckin' Dead' latches onto a dirty, grainy riff earlier on, pounds on it until it gets irritating, then bursts into a moshing frenzy. 'The Refused Party Program' is also a brilliant thrash - the album couples rocking moments like this with incredibly intelligent and mature quiet sections.

Well, this has kept me occupied and happy for quite a while. So now I'll throw it to you. What music do you enjoy rocking out to? What songs are you most likely to headbang to? Any noteworthy live gigs you've seen lately that made you want to quit your day job and learn guitar? What do you think of rock music versus slower, listening music? Aren't Coldplay boring?

Have fun kids.

Posted by Raptor

"Today" by Smashing Pumpkins saved my childhood. More to come later.

Posted by Richaod

Headbanging music = In Flames

Try 1:39 during Episode 666, 2:24 or so during Behind Space '99 and all of Only For The Weak.

And that's all I can think of at the present time. I can't be bothered saying much more.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

refused kicked ***. you probably already know this, but basically all of refused is now [url=http://www.epitaph.com/bands/index.php?id=295]the (international) noise conspiracy[/url]. click the albums at the mid-left for more downloads.

Posted by MetalVox~55

tl;dr

I headbang to Evergrey and Soilwork everytime I play songs by them.

Posted by Mixhael

I've been rocking out to X, White Zombie, and AC/DC lately. I'd say Danzig keeps me headbangin' the most, usually to "Am I Demon".

Hip Hop is my thing, but I listen to anything thats really good. As far as fast vs. slow rock, it's a tough call. Danzig, The Ramones, AC/DC, Zeppelin, X, and Rage Against the Machine are all personal favorites and all have their share of fast and slow songs that rule. Fast rock/punk from bands like Bad Brains, Bad Religion, and Dead Kennedys seems as equally entertaining as any slow song from the bands I mentioned before.

And yes, Coldplay is boring, but so is most new rock. I'm convinced they don't have more than 25 legitimately serious male fans.