Good Book Suggestions?

Posted by Dandelion

I'm somewhat at a loss for what to read right now....I'm thinking maybe Mere Christianity by Lewis Carol...suggestions anyone?

Posted by Roth

hmmmm... Old plays are always good reading. One of my favorites would be The Oedipus Cycle. Quite entertaining, and well put together... It even gives me a sort of creep factor that goes something like... "Mom?"

Posted by Dandelion

Oh man, lol, I starting reading Oedipus Cycle once....I don't know what happened to actually finishing that...I should go find it.

Posted by Trigger

If you're interested in reading a "diary" styled book that also relates to a fictional movie, then you may want to try and get a copy of The Diary of Ellen Rimbaure: My Life at Rose Red. I know that I've mentioned this book several times in past threads before the forum experienced problems but I do find it to be an interesting read. Other than that, you could read Flowers in the Attic by Virginia Andrews if you haven't done so already; you could even read the book again if it has been a while since last and you don't remember it all too well.

Posted by Pete

Quoting Dandelion: I'm somewhat at a loss for what to read right now....I'm thinking maybe Mere Christianity by Lewis Carol...suggestions anyone?

What sort of read are you after? Just so we can narrow our suggestions down a bit.

Posted by Klarth

it entirely depends what you're into, but I think Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy has a little something for everyone except the strictly orthodox christian. The first in the series is Northern Lights, or The Golden Compass if you live in the usa.

Posted by Kamek

Quoting Abraxas: it entirely depends what you're into, but I think Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy has a little something for everyone except the strictly orthodox christian. The first in the series is Northern Lights, or The Golden Compass if you live in the usa.

Definitely have to agree. Hell, read it if you are a strict Christian. It's a great series anyway. The ending to the series is one of the most fitting I think I've ever seen, in a book, game or movie.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

I'll name some of the best books i've read and would definately recommend

The Chronicles of Narnia- C.S. Lewis
The Simillarion- J.R.R. Tolkein
The secret diary of adrian mole age 13 3/4 & The growing pains of adian mole
Across the Nightingale floor- Only a short way through, though seems good- is the firast in the Otori trilogy- Across the nightingale floor, Grass for his pillow and Brilliance of the moon

Posted by Slipknot

hello

Posted by Black_Wolf

-Across The Nightingale Floor: Fantastic Book, I need to finish the Trilogy
-Hunters Of The Dark Sea: By Mel Odom, awesome book, my favorite actually
-Moon Of Bitter Cold: By Fred Chiaventone, awesome fictional account of real characters that try to settle the west

Posted by Dandelion

Actually, I'm not christian at all, lol. And I wasn't really looking for anything in particular whatsoever. Already read the Dark Materials Trilogy though...loved it to death ^_^

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Read the entire Belgariad series by David Eddings. After that, read the Malloreon.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Kamek: Definitely have to agree. Hell, read it if you are a strict Christian. It's a great series anyway. The ending to the series is one of the most fitting I think I've ever seen, in a book, game or movie.

Excellent stuff. When I first read Northern Lights, I was nine... Everyone at school was running around with copies of The Amber Spyglass in their hands, and it wasn't until I decided to read The Subtle Knife that I realised just how great a book it was.

Posted by Ch

I'd recommend Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. Excellent book. It has a movie, but it is nothing compared to the book.

or

" Move your Shadow: South Africa, Black & White" by David Lelyveld.
It's about the apartheid in South Africa.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Ah yes, His Dark Materials is an excellent trilogy. I absolutely adore The Golden Compass. I read it 10+ years ago, and it quickly captivated me, becoming one of my favourite books. I didn't realize that there were any sequels until just a few years ago. But The Golden Compass is my favourite out of the three. Why did they change the names, anyways?

The Belgariad and Mallorean series are excellent, as well. I haven't read all of them, but the ones that I have I have enjoyed greatly. Check out Polgara the Sorceress. Excellent book.

My favourite series of novels would have to be The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan. It's so diverse, heaps of characters and captivating events. It's on its 10th book, most books spanning close to 1000 pages, give or take a few hundred. But they're so excellent.

The Forgotten Realms series (written by different authors) is also worth looking into. Most are an easy read, but I still like them. Elfshadow (by Elaine Cunningham) being one of my favourite novels. If you look into this series, I would suggest searching for her novels. They can be quite humorous, with lovable characters.

The Dragonlance series is also good. Pretty easy reading, yet captivating. Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are writers to look for.

I remember reading the Sword of Shannara series years and years ago, by Terry Brooks. They were great, as well.

As you can see, I mainly read fantasy related novels. If you are into fantasy, definitely check some of these series/titles out.

Posted by Early Demise

It may sound weird, but I just read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and it was an awsome read. Also The Hobbit was alright!

Posted by RandomizeR

I'm sure most people have already read them or read some of them, but I would reccommend the Harry Potter series. I don't see why people hate them so much. Now I'm not obcessed with it like some are, and I've only read them 1 time each except for the 3rd one I read twice. It's a good fiction series and a good storyline.

Posted by Early Demise

I enjoyed the first two, but that is as far as I have gotten so far!

Posted by Dandelion

I'm dearly in love with Harry Potter. Sadly, I had to start reading Charlotte's Web in spanish >.< Stupid school.

Posted by JUNE20

This can be under horror or religious genre but it's based on actual
events that happened in Dallas Texas. It's more or less a journal
about bizarre supernatural occurrences in the 90's. The book is called
JOHN 1:12. The author's name is Arnold English. It's good!

Posted by Aesthetic

I suggest reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. Every year, a class of junior high students are chosen by the government and are entered into the Program - an "event" in which the government claims to be beneficial as data to the military. They are sent to an island (thinking it's only a fieldtrip to a local place) and told that they have to kill each other within a certain amount of time until there is only one survivor; the winner. Much bloodshed and violence, but throughout it all has a moral weaved into it. Very good read.

Will list more later.

Posted by William

I suggest reading "The House that Jack Built" and "Mirror" both by Graham Masterton. Great horror novels, with a bit of suspense.

Posted by Looski

then if u have read all, u must read Halo series and Enders Game by defalt. Although Wheel of time should keep u for a while.

My sister and I are reading his dark materials. Not bad so far. My sister also read Eragon and said it was a pretty good adventure. Not as good as Lord of the Rings is what heard, but still a good read. Hmmm... what kind of books do u read? Fantasy? Sci-fi? War? All, Any? That might help.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Another one, Prey by Michael Crichton. Thanks to Sabre for recommending me this book. It's an excellent read, one of those 'hard to put downers'.