Tool or NIN?

Posted by crimsoncinder

I'm a Tool fan myself. Tool/APC, amazing, and Maynard is a musical genius. I mean, Trent Reznor is good and all, but NIN has become a fad band. So many people like them just because a lot of people like them.

Opinions?

Posted by Corrupt

Yeah, but I've listened to NIN for years now, and I much prefer them over Tool. I really don't care how bad "With Teeth" is supposed to be.

So, NIN it is.

Posted by sabre

I'm really not a fan of either. I heard one Tool song, which didn't appeal to me in the least, and I'm not particularly struck on NIN.

Posted by Raptor

I was obsessed with NIN for years. Tool's music bores me to tears. ...I'm a poet and I had no idea I was one!

Quoting crimsoncinder: Maynard is a musical genius.

So is Trent, whom I also consider better at writing lyrics.

[quote]NIN has become a fad band. So many people like them just because a lot of people like them.

Don't even try to argue that Tool doesn't also fit this description perfectly.

Posted by Acheron

Tool is trash. Even With Teeth is leagues better than anything Maynard can produce.

Posted by Kaise Suratu

I perfer Tool over NIN anytime. I had their newest album and I couldn't stand it. I didn't like Tool's music at first, then I started listening to them more and all of a sudden my taste in music changed.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Raptor:
So is Trent, whom I also consider better at writing lyrics.

Trent's lyrics are just laughable. Okay, so they were good for a while, but it's been many years and he hasn't shown any depth to his lyrics.

Posted by Raptor

It's been many years since he's shown much depth at all.

As far as I am concerned, it all ended with The Fragile.

Posted by Majeh717

well im not i Tool fan but i think NIN sold out on With Teeth

Posted by Raptor

If you're going to speak in terms of NIN "selling out," he technically "sold out" with his first major release. After all, many of the songs on Pretty Hate Machine contain deliberate radio hooks and sensible pop elements, designed to haul in new listeners and attract a far-reaching audience. I would think "washed out" would be the better term to describe him at the point in time.

Posted by Richaod

I've heard about four Tool songs in total - AEnima, Schism, Lateralus and a numerical one from AEnima - and somehow I didn't like the first three (which are some of their most popular tracks) at all, but enjoyed the other. I've heard The Downward Spiral, which I thought had decent vocal lines, but absolutely no consistent guitars/backing whatsoever.

I pick A Perfect Circle over both, in fact.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting crimsoncinder: I mean, Trent Reznor is good and all, but NIN has become a fad band. So many people like them just because a lot of people like them.

I put people that dislike bands because they're a "fad" on the same level as people that enjoy bands because everyone else enjoys them. Why? They're both being far too influenced by everyone else's opinions and tastes.

I enjoy Tool far more. I don't see the creative source of the band coming from Maynard (which it isn't) but rather from Danny and Adam. I love Tool though. Regardless of how popular they get or how much their future albums may suck, I still have everything from Opiate to Lateralus that I enjoy far more than any other band's entire discography. The songs not only sound good but they generally carry interesting, intelligent messages or presentation (Danny's drumming in particular). As for Nine Inch Nails, they really hold a special place in my heart, The Fragile in particular. If you solely focus on one thing in Nine Inch Nails, you will most likely see the band as shallow or simple. Many listeners do this, hence the radio success. Nine Inch Nails is one of the 'less is more' bands that focuses more on a combination of all the instruments and vocals working together to make something entirely moving. Comparing and contrasting Nine Inch Nails and Tool? That seems pretty silly, as they're far too different to do this (for me at least).

Posted by crimsoncinder

I love Lateralus (well, all their albums I good I think) But Lateralus was AMAZING.

As for lyrics. The deepest lyrics I find by Trent are those of "Hurt". Other than that there isn't much. But, alot of Tool, seems really poetic and deep. Such as Parabol, or Schism

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Neither thx

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Shin-Ra: I put people that dislike bands because they're a "fad" on the same level as people that enjoy bands because everyone else enjoys them. Why? They're both being far too influenced by everyone else's opinions and tastes.

So true it warms my heart.

Nothing Maynard has ever done holds a candle to The Fragile, in my view. I have enjoyed APC's work, but it never impacted me on so deep a level as some of Reznor's works have. The Fragile is just a masterpiece that seems to be underappreciated by many whom I feel -should- appreciate it, including some of those that claim to be *hardcore* NIN fans. It's such a difficult record though, and not nearly as easy to absorb as most of his other albums. It took me a year to really get into it, and begin to appreciate the abyssal beauty of its lush soundscapes and marvelous episodic bursts of meticulously orchestrated cacophony. "La Mer," "Even Deeper," and "The Great Below" are the prevailing anthems of my late teens. I still remember that one spring evening in 2001 when I wandered down a road along the remote coastline, the full moon shining down upon me, as "Even Deeper" repeatedly played through my head. I remember feeling utterly inspired and euphoric, and that's the kind of high listening to this album always gives me. It takes me on a voyage to alternate worlds.

Posted by Klarth

I don't really care for either of them, truth be told. I enjoyed one tool song, and that was "schism". I don't really like the instrumentation. As for Nine Inch Nails, what I heard from With_Teeth was... Quite bad.

Posted by Trigger

NIN. I would elaborate on that answer, but at the moment I'm far too lazy to do so.

Posted by Demonblade

Tool. I agree maynard is a musical genoius. Back in the day i was a hardcore metallica fan and many of my friends tried to show me the light that is tool but i wouldnt be swayed. Recently i bought a few tool albums and have had a musical epiphany so to speak. H is one of the greatest songs i have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Im not really a particular fan of Aenima "the song" but thats probably because it has been entirely overplayed too much.

Im not really a fan of NIN that much, i kinda lost respect for him when he started hanging out with Rob Halford (sp?). Who knew that such a hardcore rocker likes to put sausage in his cornhole? That came entirely out of left field and blindsided me. I cant listen to "Turbo Lover" anymore without an overwhelming sense of nausea overcoming me.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Vampiro: Neither thx

i was about halfway through the topic and saw that no one had written this yet. i was worried that i'd actually have to make an original post. instead, vampy to the rescue!

QUOTEPOST!

Posted by Acheron

Quoting Raptor: Nothing Maynard has ever done holds a candle to The Fragile, in my view. I have enjoyed APC's work, but it never impacted me on so deep a level as some of Reznor's works have. The Fragile is just a masterpiece that seems to be underappreciated by many whom I feel -should- appreciate it, including some of those that claim to be *hardcore* NIN fans. It's such a difficult record though, and not nearly as easy to absorb as most of his other albums. It took me a year to really get into it, and begin to appreciate the abyssal beauty of its lush soundscapes and marvelous episodic bursts of meticulously orchestrated cacophony. "La Mer," "Even Deeper," and "The Great Below" are the prevailing anthems of my late teens. I still remember that one spring evening in 2001 when I wandered down a road along the remote coastline, the full moon shining down upon me, as "Even Deeper" repeatedly played through my head. I remember feeling utterly inspired and euphoric, and that's the kind of high listening to this album always gives me. It takes me on a voyage to alternate worlds.

Completely agreed. For some reason, most every NIN fan I know cites The Downward Spiral as his best record. The Fragile has always been so much better in my eyes, simply because of the excellent quality and wide variety of the songs. We're In This Together, La Mer, The Great Below, Starfuckers, Inc. and the The [Negative Adjective] songs are just so excellent. I also very much enjoyed Things Falling Apart, the remix CD for that album. The Great Collapse and one of the Starfu[i]ckers remixes stand out in particular.

Posted by Megatron

NIN because they put out "Broken".

Posted by Shade

I've never heard any Tool, and all of heard of NIN are a few songs from With Teeth, all of which sucked hardcore.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Personally, I would find it hard to actually choose between the two. Depending on the song, Tool normally surpasses the playing ability over NIN, but that is mainly from a guitarist/bassist's perspective. In the lyrical department, I think that Trent's lyrics exceed Maynard's by far, for a kind of surface-level guy such as myself. While NIN is more blunt, like in "Angel", Tool gets extremely deep and psuedo-poetic like in songs such as "Lateralus" or "Track #1/Stinkfist". However, both are guilty of doing vice-versa, such as Tool's quite frank song "Maynard's Dick" or imo, a few tracks (all pretty much blend) from "With Teeth" stand out. While it is not fair of me to mainly base my views on what I have heard, which is only from With Teeth and The Fragile, I know that there is more to explore, so from my NIN's perspective, I need to know more. As far as Tool, I feel that I can safely make judgement on them, as I own all of their CD's. So, I would have to say Tool is better overall for playing ability, and NIN for their lyrics and originality.

Posted by Dexter

I will definitely go with Tool on this one, mostly because I adore the drumming. I don't have much experience with NIN, though what I hear on the radio bores me dreadfully.

Posted by mis0

I abhor Tool and Tool fans for the most part (but no one on this site, actually) because Tool is trash and generally the fans seems to fall into a similar line. I like NIN some but not enough to really elaboate.

Posted by Nintendogreat

Nine Inch Nails have always been a good industrial rock band. One thing I like about Trent Reznpr is he reinvents himself on each album. While sticking to the industrial aspect each album has a very distintive sound. As far as Tool, I'm npt going to lie. From what I've heard to me they have long dragged out singles that all have the same boring tone to them.

Posted by William

I prefer Tool. Their music appeals to me more, that's all. And I do prefer Maynard as a vocalist over Reznor. That's all I really need to say. :)

Posted by Nep0

They both seem to be two different things here, but what the hell. Tool hits close to home for me. Whenever I want to think deeply on something or when the erge strikes to do something artistic, Tool will most likely be playing in the background. And I love that! To me, their genius lies within Adam Jones and the rest of the band along with Billy Howerdel. First Concert, as well. Deffin8ly would see them again.
NIN Does the complete opposite for me, being that it's everchanging and audibly energetic. Generally, I like to keep things mellow; I work better that way.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Voted Tool

Posted by Dandelion

Too hard for me...

Posted by Raptor

I struck up a conversation with a guy wearing a black shirt with the stereotypical TOOL logo once while I was working at UPS. He wore his TOOL shirt every other night it seemed, so he was obviously a devoted fan or had a lackluster wardrobe and sense of style, or both. I asked him what his favourite song was, and he replied, "well, I can't really think of the name right now... it's the one they play on the radio a lot." When I asked him how long he had been familiar with Maynard James Keenan's work, he responded with, "Maynard who?"

Posted by netman

Vote for NIN.

Not much of a fan, but La Mer, The Great Below, A Quiet Place, and the Fragile are all songs I enjoy.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Raptor: When I asked him how long he had been familiar with Maynard James Keenan's work, he responded with, "Maynard who?"

That's almost insulting.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Raptor: I struck up a conversation with a guy wearing a black shirt with the stereotypical TOOL logo once while I was working at UPS. He wore his TOOL shirt every other night it seemed, so he was obviously a devoted fan or had a lackluster wardrobe and sense of style, or both. I asked him what his favourite song was, and he replied, "well, I can't really think of the name right now... it's the one they play on the radio a lot." When I asked him how long he had been familiar with Maynard James Keenan's work, he responded with, "Maynard who?"

That's a problem with mainstream popularity in general. That'd probably happen more with NIN fans, to be honest. With Teeth seems to have sold a hell of a lot more than Lateralus.

Posted by Acheron

I made the mistake of wearing a NIN shirt to school one time. Every other sentence I heard that day was "THE HAND THAT FEEDS!!!"

Posted by Klarth

I've just alerted myself to the fact that not only is NIN absent from the Metal Archives, but so are Tool. I always thought Tool were genuine metal.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Majesty: I always thought Tool were genuine metal.

You could say they're Progressive/Art Rock/Metal. Maybe their earlier stuff was easier to put into a genre, but Lateralus is kind of confusing. Really arty.