Power Metal

Posted by f_inal_link

Sorry If Theres Already a thread about this.
I recomend to everyone who hasn't, get out there and Buy Dragonforce's Newest Album ( Sonic Firestorm ) The Guitars need to be heard to be believed, Fastest most intense guitarists I've ever heard. Also Dream Evil are pretty good The Book Of Heavy Metal, If I where a president I would make This The Anthem

" I've signed - a contract with the devil
I've tried - for so very long
I'd die - to become immortal
that's why I sing this song
Am I a wannabe? - have I no dignity.
Who'd give up all my life.. to be
In the book of heavy metal.. metal!
In the book of heavy metal

In life - I have no religion
besides the heavy metal ***s
wear nothing but black skin tight leather
My skin's clad with Metal studs
Am I a wannabe? - have I no dignity.
I give up all my life to be..
In the book of heavy metal.. metal!
In the book of heavy metal "

Also check out Kamelot and Manowar.

Posted by Shin-Ra

It's weird, I dislike most "serious" Power Metal bands but like the cheesiest of the bunch such as Hammerfall, Nocturnal Rites, Blind Guardian, and Manowar. Still, I can't take any of those previously mentioned bands seriously at all, so I have to listen to them when I'm in a very particular mood (usually an overly happy one, or when I need to laugh at something). Definitely not one of my favorite genres of music.

So I'm guessing a thread is eventually going to be made for every genre of metal?

Posted by Acheron

Quoting f_inal_link: If I where a president I would make This The Anthem

Every day I count my blessings.

Posted by f_inal_link

Not power Metal fans 'ey ?

Posted by Boner

I'm a big Iced Earth and Blind Guardian fan. But, much like Shin-Ra, I have to be in a particular mood to listen to them. I have seen Iced Earth 3 times now. I would love to see Blind Guardian some time.

Posted by sabre

Yeah, I consider myself a fan of power metal. Helloween, Blind Guardian, Angra, At Vance and Shaman are probably among my favourite bands in the genre, though it's not limited to them.

Dream Evil were pretty cool from the two songs I heard; both enjoyable. I should check them out further.

Posted by Klarth

I like Helloween, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Six Magics and Manowar. Not too much else, though.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Kamelot is about the only PM band I can take seriously. Not to mention Khan has one of the best voices I've ever heard.

But, I still enjoy PM. Like most in this thread, I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it.

Posted by netman

I like German power metal.

Angel Dust! Brainstorm!

They put the POWER into metal. Also Eldritch is half power.

Angel Dust though, one of the best power metal bands.

Edit: Check out Cross of Hatred by them!

Posted by MetalVox~55

Power Metal is cool

Posted by Dexter

I'm fairly familiar with all the artist named in this thread besides Shaman, which I'll have to check out sometime. I suppose I enjoy power metal since I enjoy the bands mention here. I didn't even know Demons & Wizards had something new on the way. That's something to look forward to. I don't believe I saw anyone mention Aina, Dionysus, Avantasia, Elvenking, or Luca Turilli. Wouldn't these bands go into this genre?

Posted by Boner

Yeah, I can't wait for the new Demons & Wizards to come out. John Schaffer+Blind Guardian= one killer album. Dex, I had no idea you liked that sort of stuff. I was under the impression that you were some big EMO type of dude. Not that Demons & Wizards is that heavy or anything.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I didn't even know Demons & Wizards had something new on the way. That's something to look forward to.

I recently downloaded it, and if you love their previous stuff, you'll love this album. Pretty **** good. One of the better power metal albums I've heard nayways.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Opeth: Dex, I had no idea you liked that sort of stuff. I was under the impression that you were some big EMO type of dude. Not that Demons & Wizards is that heavy or anything.

That's probably because you came around when I gradually stopped talking about such music regularly. If you were around a little earlier, you would know I'm big on this material like most others do. NEVERMORE FOREVERMORE! I wouldn't be at all surprised if I listened to more heavy music than anyone else does here...and the softest.

I thought the Demons & Wizards album was decent. "Fiddler on the Green" and "Poor Man's Crusade" were fun and interesting. I have a feeling I'll like this newer one more.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Dexter: That's probably because you came around when I gradually stopped talking about such music regularly. If you were around a little earlier, you would know I'm big on this material like most others do. NEVERMORE FOREVERMORE!

Yeah, there's that, and the fact that most of your pictures of plush toys sort of threw me off. And, yes, Nevermore rocks nutz.

Posted by Dexter

Look at that signature. That has Falkenbach inspirations written all over it. How about those murky, doom-like cosplay images from back in the day? The signals are all there!

By the way, are there any speed metal bands with female leads that are any good?

Posted by Boner

[URL=http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.archenemy.net/&e=9707]Arch Enemy[/URL] is pretty good. Though, I'm not sure I'd exactly consider them to be speed metal. But, the lead singer has a set of lungs that can match any dude out there. I actually saw them open for SLAYER once. They put on a hell of a good show.

Posted by Dexter

When I listen to them, I can't help but think about her as a he. I never much cared for them, either. I find Tvangeste to be far superior. I like "Demoniality." I wish it were a longer song though. Also, yeah, I don't find them too speed metalish but I am still fairly ignorant when it comes to placing artist in categories rightly, probably because so many people tend to disagree with me over the years. Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius seem more like speed metal to me.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

hmmm

I like:

Nightwish, Within Temptation, Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Helloween, Edguy, Steel Prophet, Stratovarias, Sonata Artica, Dragonforce/Dragonheart, Demons and Wizards, Jag Panzer, Queensryche, etc. . . most of which I would classify as power metal. . . so I guess you could say I am a fan

Posted by coromoro

Blind Guardian, Freedom Call, Nocturnal Rites, Sonata Arctica, Cydonia, Aina, Nightwish, Edguy, Rhapsody, and Demons & Wizards are some power metal bands I enjoy listening to. :cool:

Posted by f_inal_link

I'm not sure if Edguy would be considered Power Metal there more heavy metal than anything else, Also if you like Angra check out Dragonforce there guitars are similar but dragonforce are alot Faster

Posted by Richaod

I don't like power metal as much as most; it's just too cheesy for me. And the drumming is extremely annoying, with the rattle-like, loose snares and continuous slow double bass-drum work.

I like a little bit of Angra, and I've heard one or two good Iced Earth and HammerFall songs, but I'm generally not very interested.

EDIT: I didn't forget Ghost Love Score! I was thinking of quiet, more balladic pieces.

But Ghost Love Score > everything, and I know it.

EDIT 2: Yes, I did forget Ghost Love Score, but it's more symphonic than power. I hope so.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Quoting f_inal_link: I'm not sure if Edguy would be considered Power Metal

I am
http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/view_band.php?band_id=edguy

Posted by Klarth

Gah, I forgot about Nightwish. I don't really think they qualify as power metal after Once, but Oceanborn and Wishmaster certainly are.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Majesty: Gah, I forgot about Nightwish. I don't really think they qualify as power metal after Once, but Oceanborn and Wishmaster certainly are.

Hehe, I forgot too.

Also, I sort of like Children Of Bodom and Stratovarius (okay, they're extremely cheesy, but the drumming is better than average and Visions was good).

Power metal drummers should be pummeled to death with their own soft snare drums and tiny ...And Justice For All rip-off bass drums. I even prefer Lars Ulrich's St. Anger snare sound to theirs.

Posted by f_inal_link

Bodom is death metal * giving Richaod weird look *

Posted by sabre

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=22 Check it out; power/speed. I didn't think they were Power until I checked that just now, though.

[quote=f_inal_link]Also if you like Angra check out Dragonforce there guitars are similar but dragonforce are alot FasterI've actually heard a lot of good things about Dragonforce. I'll check them out soon.

Posted by Gollum

I used to be a big fan of power metal, and I still like it a lot, but I've been constantly gravitating more towards doom, thrash, and progressive metal.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting f_inal_link: Bodom is death metal * giving Richaod weird look *

melodic death/power pze. Seriously, the drumming.

Rant:
Power metal drummers sound like they use pillows as bass drums instead of putting them in bass drums, their snares are like cardboard boxes and their drum sticks are just big fish fingers.

You know it's true.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

oh but the guitars

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: oh but the guitars

The vocalists all sound the same too. You commented on that yourself.

I simply don't think power metal offers any exclusive and good things when compared to other genres (the guitars are good, but yes, the drumming annoys the hell out of me). I'm still interested, but not as much as with doom, melodic death etc.

Posted by Raptor

I find power metal powerful only in the sense that it has the power to completely repel me these days.

Admittedly, I enjoyed Sonata Arctica for awhile, and went on a two-week Nightwish kick in 2002, but those times are over . . .

Posted by Corrupt

Yeah, I like about two songs by Sonata Arctica, one by Hammerfall and one by Blind Guardian. And... that's about it. I'm just not really a fan of metal, even though Raptor tried to get me into it last year by sending me CDs and such; that's really the only thing that even made me aware of a lot of these bands. And, I admit; not all of them were that bad.

Then again, I know practically nothing about metal, so it'd be best if I shut my trap right... now. :X