Best of 2005 (so far)

Posted by Richaod

There seem to have been quite a few decent releases so far. My personal favourites in order:

Character - Dark Tranquillity
Candlemass - Candlemass
Ascendancy - Trivium
Mafia - Black Label Society
Elements Of Persuasion - James LaBrie
Apocalyptica - Apocalyptica

Fantomas' Suspended Animation just blew, as did Daft Punk's Human After All. I can't say I thought much of Alien by Strapping Young Lad. The Mars Volta's Frances The Mute was decent and had some really good sections, but overall just felt really confusing.

Of course, there are still some great releases coming out soon, like Octavarium and possibly new studio albums by Silverchair and Black Sabbath.

Posted by Altinure

que onda guero? - beck
elevator - hot hot heat
love music angel hollaback girl - gwen stefani (i don't own this CD, i just think hollaback girl is up there with hanson)

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Crossfade. That's all I have to say.

Posted by Shade

Seventeen Days ~ 3 Doors Down

I haven't really listened to any new releases so far, mainly things that came out in 99-03.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Shade: Seventeen Days ~ 3 Doors Down

You can't possibly be serious.

Frances the Mute was nice. The new QOTSA was good, but not mindblowingly rock-outingly fantastic as it should have been.

Posted by f_inal_link

Dark Tranquillity ~ Character
Turbonegro ~ Party Animals
Naplam Death ~ The Code is red long live the code
Trivium ~ Ascendary
Judas Priest ~ The Angel Of Retribution
Graveworm ~ [n]utopia
Black Whitchery ~ Upheaval of satanic Might

Posted by Shin-Ra

*Awaits the Dream Theater fans*

I haven't been all too impressed with the albums released so far this year. Evergrey's live cd is one of the worst ones in my collection and With_Teeth by Nine Inch Nails disappointed me greatly. From all of the feedback I've heard, Ulver's Blood Inside is looking to be great album, and the new Demons and Wizards album has its good moments. Not all is lost, I suppose.

Posted by Klarth

i look forward to the new nightmare cinema album

nothing else seems whining about, elements of persuasion wasn't that great in my opinion :/

Posted by rivercitytecmo

the only things from 2005 i've listened to are fischerspooner's "odessey" (good), millencolin's "kingwood" (good), and "frances the mute" (boring).

june 7th, though, brian eno puts out a solo album like he hasn't done since "before and after science". i'm going to pre-emptively say that it'll be the best thing i've heard from 2005.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it's really hard to tell, because honestly, 2005 has sucked so far

Quoting rivercitytecmo:
june 7th, though, brian eno puts out a solo album like he hasn't done since "before and after science". i'm going to pre-emptively say that it'll be the best thing i've heard from 2005.

*spontaneously creams pants*

Why have I not heard of this?

Posted by rivercitytecmo

yeah, i only found out like a week ago.

check out [url=http://www.recordstore.co.uk/brianeno/]here[/url], [url=http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47F18DE46AB7420F3BA1A6AFD9C56DF28FD6BD3A03B13787AFF9E1171AC2559CE12D6A6B0FD8B3FF110F7F66CA6160ACCC9EF49FEDC6638718CEFAC613F344A01185438&sql=10:xpen97lfkrat]here[/url], and, of course, [url=http://enoweb.co.uk]here[/url].

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Altinure: que onda guero? - beck

And Armin Van Buuren's A State of Trance 2005.

Posted by Richaod

By the way, I haven't listened to much of these albums...

Enemy Of *** - Kreator (pretty decent speed/thrash, but the Exodus-like vocals are dodgy)
Two Shoes - The Cat Empire (much worse than their debut)
Angel Of Retribution - Judas Priest (seems good)
Stabbing The Drama - Soilwork (listenable, but far too formulaic)
Deadwing - Porcupine Tree (I only have the Lazarus single so far, but it's great)

Did I mention new In Flames/Opeth (who signed to Roadrunner, :() albums?

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Mafia- Black Label Society
Angel of retribution- Judas Priest
Yhese are the only good 2 albums i've heard so far

Posted by shortwavez

I just got the new styx album that was released a few weeks ago. ive been listening to it ever since. its that good! bunch of cover songs from old bands like The Who's and the Beatles. fave song is "i am the walrus". by far, my choice for best album of 2005.

Posted by Demonblade

Mudvayne-Happy
System of a down-BYOB

theres a few more that im really into, except like a few mentioned on prior posts, they didnt come out in 2005.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin_Akuma: Mafia- Black Label Society
Angel of retribution- Judas Priest
Yhese are the only good 2 albums i've heard so far

You'd like Enemy Of *** and Candlemass too, I can assure you that.

Posted by auzzman5151

coldplay......i used to hate this band because i thought they were a cheap knock off of U2, but their new single has a beutiful sound.

Posted by Shade

Quoting TheSecondComing: You can't possibly be serious.

Yes, why yes I am. I like the CD, what's it to you?

Posted by Megatron

So far I have enjoyed the new ones from Bruce Dickinson, Overkill, Dream Theater and Nile. I checked out the new one from Obituary and unless there are only 9 albums I listen to this year that will be the only way it makes a top 10 list of mine. Black Label Societys "Mafia" was OK for awhile but after a month I got really tired of it.

Posted by William

Demons & Wizards - "Touched by the Crimson King" is the best album I've heard so far this year. Bruce Dickinson's new solo album "Tyranny of Souls" isn't that bad either...

Posted by Arwon

Architecture in Helsinki's 'In Case We Die' was pretty good, I think it came out this year.

I'm also liking this Decemberists album I just downloaded. Total me music. Sounds like Augie March actually... who will release the best album of 2005 in August or so.

Quoting Arwon: Architecture in Helsinki's 'In Case We Die' was pretty good, I think it came out this year.

Holy shat, Aussie connection. 'In Case We Die' is alright but 'Fingers Crossed' was better.

Posted by Klarth

What I've heard of Nevermore's new album is great.