Broken Gamecubes?

Posted by Soul_Tassadar

Recently, I went to turn on my little black box, and the system, refused to boot up any of the disks I put in it. The little cube screen would come up, then rotate and go to the main menu, without starting the game up. Also, when I go to start it up from the menu, it says no disk is inserted.

So what I ended up trying to do was see if the disk was spinning. And no, it wasn't. The gamecube can no longer muster the strenth to spin the 3" disks appearently. I was curous if this has happened to any other gamecube owners, and if, nintendo will take it back and give me a new one.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Quoting Soul_Tassadar: Recently, I went to turn on my little black box, and the system, refused to boot up any of the disks I put in it. The little cube screen would come up, then rotate and go to the main menu, without starting the game up. Also, when I go to start it up from the menu, it says no disk is inserted.

Yes, once. However, the 'A' button on my remote was stuck. Simply unplugging the remote and plugging it back in fixed that. I don't think that'll work for you, though.

Quoting Soul_Tassadar: So what I ended up trying to do was see if the disk was spinning. And no, it wasn't. The gamecube can no longer muster the strenth to spin the 3" disks appearently. I was curous if this has happened to any other gamecube owners, and if, nintendo will take it back and give me a new one.

If you still have the box, receipt and/or warranty. If the warranty hasn't expired, and you still have the box and everything. You can package it up, and send it to Nintendo, they'll replace it. Read the warranty carefully though. If you still have everything it came with, such as the box, books, and other stuff, take it back to the store.

Also, just to let you know, none of that will work unless the machine is no more than a few weeks old (I'm not sure how long the warranty is). If you've had it a while, then there's nothing you can do. You'll probably have to buy a new one.

Posted by Killer7

My system works fine

Posted by MetroidPrimeMan

Ok well the fact the "cube screen" is coming up, is a good thing...that means that the cube can still turn on and isnt fried...now to the issue of it not booting the game: Once happened to me, I solved it by taking the disc out, and reinserting until it Locked into place (I know it sounds funny, but if the disc isnt locked down, it wont boot) the only other time that happened to me is when my lens was dirty, and couldnt detect the game-cleand the lens and poof game booted, so you might want to try that too. Hope that one of those helps

Best Regards,
MetroidPrimeMan

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Yeah, that's happened to me. It was a problem with the disk not being on the spindle properly. Just make sure your disc is firmly pressed into it.

And, if you don't mind me asking, how did you check whether the motor was working? Because there's an automatic shutoff if the cover's open while it's switched on.

Posted by Speedfreak

If you flip it open whilst it's on and the disc is still spinning, the motor works. :p

Posted by Soul_Tassadar

well the actual system boots the game once every 100 times I turn it on and off...which is strange. Well the system is only a hundred bucks so I'll buy a new one. Im just disapointed that my gamecube that I got the day it came out couldn't last the entire console cycle :(

Posted by Mini Rebew

wow, ive had mine since it came out, and its been handled A LOT. But i do need to get a new ssbm...mines really beat up. But maybe if you call the number on the back...or mabybe its on the bottom of the gamecube, maybe they will help you, or maybe gamestop...if they still do that.

Posted by Black Shadow

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]My first GCN did that, but I got it when they were new, and it worked fine until a few months ago. It will run, but if something has to load, the game freezes, or it tells me the game disk can't be read, and it also makes a lot of clicking noises when I'm playing on it. I just bought a new one, the price is at an all-time low.

Change your font colour, please.

~coromoro

Posted by loony636

Wow that's weird. How old was the system?

Posted by Ant

Hmm, it would proably be cheaper if you just get your current GC repaired at a local game shop near you. But, it's your choice I suppose...

Posted by nich

My gamecube broke earlier this year, Instead of seeing the gameplay I saw a stained glass window thing. The deal they gave me was awesome, (probably what Soul Tassadar is doing) all I had to do was tell them where I live blah blah and a credit card number (bear with me). See what they did was sent me a refurbished one from the nintendo canada HQ in BC I sinply put my busted one in the same box and sent it back to them. All they needed a credit card number for was to make sure I sent my broken one to them, if I didn't they would take the amount for a new cube off the acount. Sweet huh? My playstation hasn't broken yet but I'm pretty sure sony doesn't offer this sort of thing.

Posted by Burrito

On a similar note, does anyone have any tips for fixing a controller that acts like its joystick is permanently stuck in the up position?

Posted by I feel Yellow?

try cleaning the lens, if the lens cannot read a disk because it is dirty it will proably not spin. That might be the case if not im stuck for ideas without taking it apart and removing large pices of fluff caught in the motor or something.

Posted by loony636

Quoting I feel Yellow?: try cleaning the lens, if the lens cannot read a disk because it is dirty it will proably not spin. That might be the case if not im stuck for ideas without taking it apart and removing large pices of fluff caught in the motor or something.

There is also the possiblilty that the lens has become knocked out of place and it can no longer read the disk because its in the wrong place. It happened with my computer and I'm sure it could happen to anything that has a cd reader.

Quoting Burito: On a similar note, does anyone have any tips for fixing a controller that acts like its joystick is permanently stuck in the up position?

I assume by joystick, you mean the yellow C stick. That's a common problem, It happened to one of my friends controllers. I took it apart, cleaned it, did everything. The only advice I can give you is to send it back to Nintendo if its still inside the warranty. If not, either play games that don't require the C stick, or get a new one. Of course there may be a way to fix the controller, but I haven't found it yet. Ask Richaod, its happened to one of his controllers.

Posted by Burrito

Actually, I am talking about the joystick, not the c-stick. I've had the controller since I've got the gamecube. It's pretty much completely useless and I doubt I can use the warranty anymore. I guess I should just throw it out or sell it. It's just that my friends are stuck using crappy 3rd party controllers.

Posted by DarkBlade

This has happened to my cube aswell. Its not that it cank spin the disk. its the little detector thats worn out. At first, I would just get a wet tissue and wipe it and it would work most the time but then this stopped working aswell. It works on some disks and doesnt work for many others, and it just so happens that the disks have nothing in common but every *** dam good game I ever wanted to play........ SSBM, Tales of symphonia, all the good games dont work, some disks are 12 hours old, while others have been played for a count of 600+ hours(SSBM...) The only thing I note is the little plastic bulb thats supose to work for the whole *** dam system.. You hear a different loading startup for a working game to a insert disk game...
Id get mine fixed. but I hate that a strip of plastic could wind up costing my more than the cubes worth itself([color=white]broke), the fact that I dont even know what the problem is(no job) and I dont have the time(lazy) to go out and get some moron(doesnt know what to do) tell me whats wrong and charge me double(not a penny in the pocket) for something I could probably fix([/color]Im a moron) So There(Give me food)

Posted by segashadow128gcn

well i have had my purple baby sence the release date and yes it did this and it did it ALOT and theres nothing you can do if the warrenty is up, bcuz fixing it would be pointless because a new one is just 100$ yeah my cusins did this and it never worked again we tryed everything, mine did it the day i got Tales of Symphonia.. but i just kept trying to load it eventuall it should work i wold just open and close the lid insted of powering down the consold, but then it worked for a good 6 months and started doing it agian and i was mad really made bcuz it worked but it would mess up. so i got a new one. i play my gba/gbc games on my purple one still bcuz it does not spin the disc but i can still get it to work but the load times are SHIZZ long i played timesplittersFP and hell... it was laggy and sloooow. but my pretty silver its good. my friends have experinced this to it suck i am sorry to here this good luck

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting segashadow128gcn: well i have had my purple baby sence the release date

I want to make a joke about purchasing unwanted children.

Posted by Klarth

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Wings again."

I love the terminology he uses. "Release date", "purple baby"... Gahahaha.