do you listen to the sounds in the game or throw on some music

Posted by unholy darkness

i listen to music usually you could probably guess what i listen to

Posted by Alastor

If it's a game I've beaten or one of those games without a real storyline, like a fighting game or something, then I might listen to some music. Other than that, the game's own sounds and music are good.

Posted by Fate

I can't stand playing a game with music from the radio turned on. If the music sucks in the game, chances are that I wouldn't be playing it in the first place. It's the same feeling as having people speak to me during a boss battle or something.

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

Quoting Alastor: If it's a game I've beaten or one of those games without a real storyline, like a fighting game or something, then I might listen to some music. Other than that, the game's own sounds and music are good.

Same here, those and the old games that have no music. (I.E: When Im playing Atari)

Posted by Dexter

When the option is there, and I'm used to the game or I don't care for the music, I'll go into audio and shut off the music and leave the sound on, while playing my own music through my DVD player, which comes out of the same speakers the systems do. It mixes well. I like to listen to something intense like Gold

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Dexter: When the option is there, and I'm used to the game or I don't care for the music, I'll go into audio and shut off the music and leave the sound on, while playing my own music through my DVD player, which comes out of the same speakers the systems do. It mixes well.

Oh yeah. I do that sometimes, just not alot. I'm about afraid to do it often. My system's very old and very powerful, so if I mix any wires while having to hook up both my DVD player and my GameCube then I could possibly damage the system and maybe even my own hearing.

I wish I could take a picture, but basically for the AUX I have a left audio and a right audio cable. I usually hook the game in to the left, and the music in to the right, since the right cord is generally weaker since I have Stereo. If I hook up the game or DVD player's right cord to the system's left plugin, then it makes a huge explosion-sounding mass of static and bass. Definitely NOT a pleasant thing to hear.

There's normally no danger of doing that, but if I'm not paying attention when wiring them together it is quite possible.

There. Now you know something long and pointless about my room. :cool:

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Alastor: Oh yeah. I do that sometimes, just not alot. I'm about afraid to do it often. My system's very old and very powerful, so if I mix any wires while having to hook up both my DVD player and my GameCube then I could possibly damage the system and maybe even my own hearing.

I have this stereo system thing that I can plug everything up into at once, so I don't have to go through the trouble of changing them every time I decide to use a different system. I still remember the days when I had to change the yellow, red, and white wires whenever I wanted to use a different device. How dreadful that was.

The trouble with having two things playing at once, such as the sound on my Game Cube and the music from my DVD player, is that the bass is playing for both of them and it sometimes doesn't keep the beat properly, dawg.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I always listen to the in game music. Never have I not. I get irritated if musics are mixing. Generally, I enjoy the game music anyhow.

Posted by Big Boss

Never! I'd never listen to any other music track that wasn't from the game while playing said game. Unless it's an MMO where you can add your own tracks for battles and such, I don't do it. Videogame music rules too much to listen to anything else while playing. In fact, I like it so much I have the first disc of the MGS3 soundtrack in my car CD player right now, and an incalculable number of game tracks in my hard drive.

Posted by crimsoncinder

Both. I keep the SFX up and put on some music

Posted by neonmole

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I never listen to music over game music. This is probabally because in the room where all my consoles are there isn't a stereo or DVD player or anything like that.[/COLOR]

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

Nooooo way,I hate listening to music while playing a game,no matter,bad music or good music,the game music always stays,I can't stand not being able to listen to the sounds of what I am doing,I don't feel connected at all,as if I was deaf,I use every one of my senses while playing a game.

Posted by Black_Wolf

Very rarely do I do such a thing. I can't get fully into the game and I feel like I'm cheating the experience if I do, unless it's something that's not an RPG on the SNES, b/c I don't have too many SNES games w/ good music. Sometimes I'll listen to music while playing Halo on Live though.

Posted by Shin-Ra

It really depends on the game. I prefer making my own soundtrack while playing MMORPGs, strategy, fighting, sports and mindless shoot 'em up games. Now, good RPGs, FPS' that require your full attention, Silent Hill games in general, and a few more I'm forgetting have music and sounds that are too good to pass up. Given the chance, I'd take playing the survival horror game late at night while listening to Burzum or dark ambient music in general.

Posted by LagunasSweetling

Quoting Shin-Ra: It really depends on the game. I prefer making my own soundtrack while playing MMORPGs, strategy, fighting, sports and mindless shoot 'em up games.

This is where I stand as well. The more mindless games, and games with repetitive, or bad quality music get my boot. I love RPG music... (Well most of the time... FFX-2 drove me effing nuts) But if I don't like the music, I turn on my own thing, and jam!

Posted by NightmareBassX

I sometimes listen to music in games, that is if the music isn't so great in the game. I'll usually listen to music in fighting games and put something fast paced on. It just makes me do better.

Posted by thelaststand

depends on the game, if u dont really need to hear anything, then yeah throw on some music, but if u need hear if someones walking up on u, i mean u can always do both just turn up the game a little louder, but nothing beats doom3 w/ some through the eyes of the dead

Posted by Echo

Lots of times I'll play my DS or GBA with music or the TV on, because those games don't generally require too much concentration. For console games, though, I just listen to the in-game music. If I'm playing ROMs on my PC, a lot of the time I'll turn the in-game music off and listen to some other music.

Posted by Random

Depends on the Game Music I guess. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For instance I love Final Fantasy VII and what they've done with the Music. And the same with Zelda OOT. I will listen to those tunes during the game. But there are some games i can't really stand the music, in which I do sometimes turn on some good Metallica or something.

Posted by Arczu

The only time I slapped in a CD, was playing SSX Tricky with Music off. I left the sounds in and played to my own tune once. Very auxillerating experience.

But in most games, I don't mind the music much. If the music is good, then it stays in my head for awhile.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

If I have to pay attention to the sounds in the game, then no (For example Splinter Cell). Or if the music/sound is good enough, then no. Otherwise, yes, I put on my own music.

Posted by sabre

It depends entirely on the game. With MapleStory, for example, I have a playlist I made purely for the purpose of putting it on shuffle while I play. With Devil May Cry, however, I've actually found myself insisting that my brother turns his music down. It's an amalgam of how hard I want to concentrate, how familiar I am with the ingame music, how familiar I am with the plot or what I'm doing*, and whether I like the ingame music.

*e.g., say i was just levelling up mindlessly in an rpg, even if i enjoy the ingame music somewhat, it'd get repetative, and so putting a playlist of stuff i like onto shuffle will make it more interesting. plus, i can sing along while training or get really absorbed, which would make it go faster as i wouldn't be concentrating so entirely on killing things. also, it'd prevent me from getting bored so quickly.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]I hate it when i'm playing a game and i hear music from any other source interfering with my gaming. It disturbs me. I want to play the game with the music it's supposed to have. Besides, i don't remember ever playing a game with "bad" music.[/COLOR]

Posted by Vampire Slayer

Most of the time I just turn the sound down and listen to music and then turn the sound back up and pause the music when they start talking.

Posted by boomstick

Usually I just listen to the game music, all outside music seems very distracting to me, that's why I love the custom soundtrack feature that Xbox offers, that way if the music is bad or not what I like I can create my own playlist for my games.

Posted by project101

me.. I usally throw on some metal or doors and then play till my fingers cramp or I get ****ed off

Posted by kenshindude

well it depends if its like a war game i need the sound anything else music is on

Posted by coromoro

The music in a video game was chose to be listened to! I think listening to your own music while playing a game is like not getting the most out of the game... I'm sure some of you know what I mean. :o

Posted by Lord of Spam

Pretty much the only games I've played in any amount of time are Stepmania, Gran Turismo 3, Soul Calibur 2, and MapleStory.

For Stepmania, you need the ingame music so as not to suck.

For SC2, I prefer to have music going if I'm jsut practicing by myself, but PvP matches are too filled with yells and profanity to notice the noise anyway, so I dont bother.

For MapleStory, I put in three different types of CDs into my CD player and hit shuffle to avoid repetition.

For GT3, it depends. On shorter races, I do manual, which means I need to be able to hear the car's engine to know when to shift. For longer races (anywhere from one and a half to three hours in GT3, but up to 24 in GT4) I put it on manual, as having to keep shiftig a 6 gear car for hours on end can get not only boring, but painful as well. In that case, I put on my own music to both get rid of the constant engine noises (and blowoff valves for turbo cars) and to distract me from the fact that I am going around a track for 2 hours. :(

Posted by Burn

the music is getting better in games overall and some games just playing awesome stuff (GTA), but i still like my own jams for most of the time/

Posted by GameMiestro

I almost always have the game music on, especially in the many hyperactive Nintendo games (Wario Ware, Meteos, ect.) However, if it has really annoying music, like Asphalt or Starcraft (yes, Starcraft) I'll play something else. I still like the sound effects on, just not the music.

Posted by Slade

There is only one exception to my deep belief in listening to the games music the creators picked out, and that's Worms: Armegeddon(sp!). The haunted house music it randomly plays is so annoying and it clashes with the comical feel of the game. I have to wonder what the developers were smoking when they put that stuff into the game.

Posted by Hyper

I tend to listen to the game's sounds if it contains no actual songs in it. If I'm playing a game such as Burnout or GTA that has an in-game radio, I tend to put on my own tunes.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

I love video game music (old generation more than new). The Tony Hawk song tracks, though hit & miss in the worst way, have their good moments. In racing games how ever I turn off all the sounds and let the music drive me esspecially in Need For Speed Underground, Top Gear Rally and Extreme-G III:D.

"HEY DJ!!! Gimmie a flat B!"

Posted by BEZ1

I don't like to listen to other music when playing a game. It takes away from the experience IMO. That's why I love the radio in GTA. If you get bored with one station you can always switch to a different one.

Posted by ll.alchemist.ll

Well music in video games is just like breathing at times you dont know your breathing, its like your lung's is doing it automatically and when you pay attention to your breathing you got to do it manually.So the tracks you dont like your more into the game to pay attention to the music. I never really use music playlist editor if its available in the game.

Posted by sephiroth_theunborn

The only game I listen to my music when play is Phantasy star online, because the music just repeat itself. nothing ever changes about the music beside going to another lv.

Posted by muffla

i agree with people that i tdepends on the game for games like doom three i listen to the gameplay but for games like ut2005 i put itunes (all 28.6 hours of it) on random

Posted by Sasuke76

i like to have g4 on in the living room, while i play something in another room, like sonic.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

... why would you need something on that's not even in the same room?

Posted by Sasuke76

it's close to me, the next room, and if you catch a tip, or cheat on g4 it'll be useful

Posted by spinning leaf

When I was a kid, I used to play my sister's punk music while playing MegaManX on mute. Made him seem a lot more badass (if that's possible).

Posted by Sapphire Rose

The only thing I can thing of close to that is listening to Bloodbath, Behemoth, Naglfar or something while playing my Warlock on WoW. It makes his demon pet seem so hardcore.

Posted by Mystic Hero

The only tiem I put on multiple things at once is when I'm playing computer games. Hell I have been known to watch TV, play a DVD on my player, chat on AIM, listen to music, check my e-mail, and play a PC game all at the same time. All it is a bunch of seperate smaller windows on the PC, my TV right next to me, my DVD player right next to my computer and my Media player playing music.

Posted by Klarth

Music? Sure. There's nothing more fun than rocking out to Helloween over a nice fast-paced game of F-Zero GX. TV is too distracting unless I'm playing something slow like a multi game of Civilization II - Doesn't exactly get in the way of Futurama.

Posted by Ant

Actually, most of the time while playing games I find it really annoying to play with anything other then the game music.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

MOST of the time, I agree with Ant.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

if im playing PC i have cartoon network on! (I love my cartoons :D)

When im playing console... i read during longass load times :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Klarth: Music? Sure. There's nothing more fun than rocking out to Helloween over a nice fast-paced game of F-Zero GX. TV is too distracting unless I'm playing something slow like a multi game of Civilization II - Doesn't exactly get in the way of Futurama.

Shame on you.

F-Zero GX has awesome music.

:(

Posted by maian

X speaks the truth.

I don't typically like to listen to other music/TV while I'm playing games. Even if I absolutely detest the sound effects or music, I leave them on, as it makes the game feel whole. For some reason it feels like I'm not playing it to the fullest if I turn off or listen to alternate sounds.

Posted by Crazy K

I myself cannot stand having a game on mute. Really I only play the games, I really don't care whats on tv at the moment if im into a fun game. I usually tend to leave the tv on in the living room wile im playing video games in my room.

But really I tend to play video games and not care to much of my surroundings.

Posted by muffla

i dont muste the game unless im playing the computer buti do usally listin to music

Posted by PhlyntheKT

I multitask with Music, movies, multiple tv sources, games, chat and phonetalking to build brain resource management...

Posted by Alastor

Generally I'll just keep the game music on, but if I'm just playing for the hell of it (often "stress" release), I'll often turn on my radio. All I've got to do is hit a button on my sound system to switch from the AUX port (games) to the radio tuner.

It also depends alot on what game I'm playing. If I'm playing Halo 2, then I'll listen to the game stuff, unless I'm just playing to kill stuff, then I get the radio or a good CD going. I really did dislike the fact that you couldn't turn the music off in Halo 2 and just listen to everything blowing up. The time that music actually doesn't play, multiplayer (online or off) is when I barely want any music going. For something like GTA: San Andreas, I generally keep the radio playing.

For almost anything else, unless I'm playing it to enjoy the story, then it really just depends on my mood.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Sometimes when Im playing a computer game like Counter strike, I'll turn on music through iTunes. Sometimes it helps my gameplay, and sometimes it distracts me.

Posted by Linko_16

I'll watch TV while playing something on GameBoy, depending on the game.

I recently got my room reorganized and put my computer right next to my game monitor, so if I'm playing a game with lots of cutscenes or slow parts (y helo thar KHII), I can be online while watching.

Posted by sabre

Most of the time I'll turn the music off and just throw a CD in. Doesn't matter what the game is; AOE, GTA, whatever. I've never actually listened to the GTA:SA radio, incidentally.

The one exception is Devil May Cry. I don't like to disrupt the atmosphere.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Sabredog: Most of the time I'll turn the music off and just throw a CD in. Doesn't matter what the game is; AOE, GTA, whatever. I've never actually listened to the GTA:SA radio, incidentally.

Again, for shame!

The San Andreas radio is pretty fun - especially the talk shows. I have the XBox version, so I can flip the radio over to my hard drive's music library. Good times. AOE, though, I can understand. I still like to listen out for the little sound alerts, mind you.

:cool:

Posted by holy_flare

If I'm playing my NDS, then I will usually play it while watching TV. But if I'm playing my GCN or PS2, then I'll just listen to the music on the game. I might be on the computer while playing a game, but usually only if I'm on Yahoo or AIM.

Posted by Nostrovia

For me it varies, depends on the game i guess. For a majority of games I like to keep the music off so I can get the complete submersion into the game. The enviromental sounds heard all around you make you sink into the game. heh Unless the music is based on whats going on with the game itself... like in movies. But when playing WoW i'll have music playing over my laptop

Posted by Sephiroth89

Realy it just depends on what music is in the game already. Like if its a real adrinilne pumping game and the music isnt upbeat i might put on some of my own music, but if the music is already good then i dont screw up a good thing.

Posted by SmileInYourSleep

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]Sometimes. Only during duels on online games do I play music.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by Burn

i typically listen to music and turn down the volume of the game. on most games that is...

Posted by Arcadios

For me I just listen to the game's music but if the music is crap I play my own.

Posted by Ayu

I usually listen to the games music, but if it's really stupid or distracting, I switch to rap or rock.

Posted by WackoHater2

Normally I listen to the game, especially if I am playing WWE SmackDown! Vs. RAW 2006, because it has some good songs on it.. but today when I was playing Kingdom Hearts II, I put on my mp3 player. I guess it depends on the music of the game.