SNES Help!

Posted by Oilslick

I have noticed alot of super nes's including dreamcasts "discolour" and go "yellow" my snes has a little bit and my DC is fine but i would like to know what causes it and what can i use to get rid of it and restore my snes to the original colour? thanks in advance

Posted by Ch

Well I'd imagine cleaning it thourghly would work. After than I'd would keep the SNES in an airtight place so air doesn't get to it and discolor it.

Posted by William

The discoloring can come from many things, such as smoking, sunlight, or like User245 said, exposure to air itself.

The only thing I can think of to fix this is either try to use some Orange Glo on it and clean it, or paint your system.

I think that the different versions of the SNES were made with different plastics, and that one of them (the most recent version of the SNES) doesn't ever get discolored, so you may want to try and find one of the newer SNES consoles, if the discoloring bothers you that much.

I know I have a copy of both different types of SNES and the original has became discolored, but the newer version hasn't. The discoloring doesn't really bother me though, as long as I can still play the games properly.

Posted by dangergoblin

yea, the discoloring dosnt just attack the snes, my nes (from 1988) is now smoker-tooth yellow.

Posted by ll.alchemist.ll

smoker-tooth yellow lol. i seen console's like thats just makes you want to give the console away.Oilslick take your SNES apart and airbrush or paint it a custom color then prime it. thats one way to make your SNES look new.

Posted by Podoboo

I got my SNES back in 1992, and it is all yellowey as well. But it was in a smoke house for years, so I bet that is it. I have gotten a couple more SNESes years later, they are looking fine. No smoking in the house anymore.

I'd say the main cause of it is smoking, but air getting to it wouldn't help.
But what are you supposed to do, place your SNES in sealed glass?