Next-Gen Price Speculation

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

[quote]Last week, the quoted Mainichi Daily News Sony Computer Entertainment officials as saying said the PlayStation 3 would be priced at under 50,000 yen ($465.58). Now it appears that the console may be even cheaper when it goes on sale next year.

Today, Japanese Web site Impress PC Watch reported that SCE has told its business partners that the PS3 will be under 40,000 yen ($370.28) at launch. The news has spurred speculation that the company might be launch the machine with the same the same price it set for the PlayStation and PlayStation 2. Both machines were priced at 39,800 yen ($368) when they launched in 1994 and 2000, respectively.

Sony's PS3 will be competing with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Revolution in the next-generation console wars. When it launched in Japan in 2002, Microsoft's current generation Xbox was priced at 34,800 yen ($322). The company has been shaving down the console's cost since then, and it currently sells at 17,640 yen ($163)--nearly half its launch price.

Nintendo's GameCube made its debut in 2001 at 25,000 yen ($231)--the lowest launch price of the three current-generation home consoles. The GameCube continues to be the lowest priced console on the market, currently marked down to 14,000 yen ($130). Nintendo has never priced any of its past consoles higher than 25,000 yen at launch, which could well be the same case for the Revolution. During E3, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata stated that he hopes to "keep the Revolution at a price range that anyone can reach out for, and nothing as high as 50,000 yen ($463)."

By Staff -- GameSpot

A little speculation for you. Gives a bit of insight of how much the next-gen consoles might cost you. If the past is any indication, the PS3 will be $368 and the Rev could be under or at $231.

It might not be as bad as we all first thought.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

nice. at least now i know i'll need to save up a grand so i can get all of the consoles. maybe even with a few bundle packs too. pretty cheap. i will praise nintendo if they release the revlusions under 250 dolars at launch.

Posted by saiyanknight

Im guessing $400 for the PS3, and maybe $250 for revolution, things are way cheaper in japan lol, but wow i thought prices would be somuch higher

Quoted post: things are way cheaper in japan lol

More expensive. They don't mind having to pay more since they are used to it. They like to gouge their consumers.

Posted by bazariah

i reckon they'd be a little bit cheaper than the figures quoted

the way they work is to sell the machines as cheaply as possible then make money on the games liscences, since the market is so huge now they will probably go down this route

Posted by Axis

400 - PS3
300 - X360
250 - Revolution

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Personally, I believe that both the 360 and the PS3 will clock in from about $350-$400 USD. As far as the Rev, i think Nintendo will place it at about $250.

Posted by boomstick

I hope that speculation is true, Vampiro, that's good to hear from all the predictions of cost going higher.

Posted by Speedfreak

Posted by Ch

I wonder how long after it's release will the PS3 go down to maybe $200.

Posted by Pit

Quoting User 245: I wonder how long after it's release will the PS3 go down to maybe $200.

When the PS5 comes out and the value of money is ****.

Posted by loony636

Quoting Dyers Eve: 400 - PS3
300 - X360
250 - Revolution

Think logically, the XBOX 360 has 3 3.2GHZ processors in it, thats got to be expensive. Plus wireless controllers, 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM, 700 MHz of DDR and a big fat network card. That has to be at least $400US. The PS3 cannot be more than the XBOX 360, so about $350US, and the Revolution is about right. But those are just my estimations.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Hmm. I this isn't quite as bad as I had thought, but still expensive. I was wanting to get the PS3 (and possibly Revolution) right away, but I may wait.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting loony636: Think logically, the XBOX 360 has 3 3.2GHZ processors in it, thats got to be expensive. Plus wireless controllers, 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM, 700 MHz of DDR and a big fat network card. That has to be at least $400US. The PS3 cannot be more than the XBOX 360, so about $350US, and the Revolution is about right. But those are just my estimations.

That's how much my PC costs. And you know why PCs are so damn expensive? because they're not standard. Each part is manufactured seperately. All 360s will be the same, however, so they only the factory to be producing one thing, an Xbox 360. Which means it'll be cheaper to make.

Posted by Random

See I can't exactly tell how any of you get your pricing? theres nothing really official and we know just about NOTHING hardwarewise about the Revolution. Nothing!!! It could be $800 and play NES games for all we know haha. Both Gamestop and EB speculate that both the PS3 and Xbox360 will release at the solid price of $499.99. Sure they don't know the exact price but that sounds Logical. Consoles have been going up 100-200 Dollars per console. Sounds about right then.

Sure it'd be nice if they were 250-400 but dont' count on it. These Consoles are getting closer to Gaming PC's more and more and they will jump in price. Of course they can't compare to a PC at least not for a good while.

They will be expensive and I wouldn't doubt a Game hike in prices either. Get ready to open your wallets, get a good job or get support from family because it'll be a killer. Sure it'll help the Economy and all but they will go up. I highly doubt the Revolution will only be $250 especially if it's upgraded from the Cube. The Cube launched at $250.

Quoted post: Both Gamestop and EB speculate

Quoted post: reported that SCE has told its business partners

Hmm, who are you going to believe. Sony, or EB? Tough choice.

Point is, the article could be wrong. But it's more official than EB or Gamestop... who both set prices and dates that are usually way off because they have to (think of it as a placeholder).

Posted by Random

Their trying to make a profit yes? who would set their console for $468? They could go $450 but I have a feeling it'll be $500. I could be wrong and nothings definite.

Quoted post: Their trying to make a profit yes?

Yeah, exactly, which is why the console shouldn't be too expensive. They don't make money form the consoles, they make money from the software. So, if the consoles are too expensive, not as many people will buy them, thus, no one buys the software. Then they make even less money.

Quoted post: who would set their console for $468?

No one. I assume you mean $368. Which in that case, Sony would. Twice.

Posted by Random

Well I assume Which when I assume I make an A** out of u and me, but I assume that they will go high and see what they can. Sure there maybe a price drop fairly soon but it'd be a way to make profit. Sony and Microsoft overall lost money for the consoles. They gained money overall but lost for the consoles. I believe that they will want to try to make profit off the consoles and try to keep ahead. So why not have it at $500? Sure you might only make 1 million sales but thats 1 million sales with a decent profit. Then later on not too much longer they can lower the bar and sell at a less expensive price.

Quoted post: Which when I assume I make an A** out of u and me

I stopped reading at this point.

Posted by smileitsdeath

That's very good, but I warn you all if you are going to go get a Xbox 360 i would wait till at least after the holiday shopping. The reason being is that it may come out at like 250 then after Christmas drop to 200 or 250. That is vey much like those bastards at Mircosoft. Don't they have enough money to swim in!

Jk, i love my Microsoft

I doubt they would drop it within a few weeks time.

Usually they drop it slightly before the holliday time, or add some sort of bundle to make more people buy it.

If they drop fifty dollars that could attract a thousand more people who wouldn't normally buy it. They may lose fifty for every console, but they also gain $200,000. A sum they wouldn't have gotten if they didn't drop the price.

Posted by nich

all this made me realize just how broke i am. i need a job.

Posted by loony636

Quoting nich: all this made me realize just how broke i am. i need a job.

And you need to learn how to spell.

I think there is no doubt that Xbox 360 is the most powerful console. But, there is a small line between powerful, and insanely powerful. The Xbox 360 has crossed that line.

Quoted post: And you need to learn how to spell.

You need to shut up and not be a moron. Plus, he's spelling was fine, it was his grammar that was poor.

Quoted post: But, there is a small line between powerful, and insanely powerful

No there isn't, there's infact a huge gap. That gap remains contant as technology evolves. What was "insanely powerful" ten years ago (or whatever) is simple average-powerful. What's insanely powerful now, will be average-powerful in another ten years time.

Posted by Soul_Tassadar

[quote]Which when I assume I make an A** out of u and me
I am rubber and u are glu, everything u say bounces off of me and sticks to u. ohh wait, I thought this was the bad english/kindergarden sayings thread. My bad. I actually didn't stop reading at that point, I lost faith in humanity.

The fact of the matter is that we really dont know that much about the new consoles in terms of price points, so we are just going to have to wait and see. What I can say, with 99% certanty, is that nintendo will be the cheapest, followed by microsoft, followed by sony. Or at least, thats how things appear.

Posted by Klarth

I'm reckoning the following:

Playstation 3 -

Posted by Pit

Quoting Vampiro: You need to shut up and not be a moron. Plus, he's spelling was fine, it was his grammar that was poor.

Agreed. Even at that point, it was legible. The only thing he forgot to do was capitalize his I's and the first letter of the sentence.

It's funny because looney was the one complaining in the Zelda forum why people hated him. Perhaps it's because you're a dick?

Posted by SwampertMasta

$350-$500 PS3, HD Games heh?
$300-$350 XBox 360
$250-$300 Revolution

Posted by Draxamus

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/28/news_6128295.html

According to that article, the PS3 is expected to go for around 400 bucks, while the cost to make a single PS3 is closer to 500 bucks.

Posted by loony636

That was the funniest thing I ever read. So whose going to pay the $100 defecit they're going to make on every PS3 they make?

Quoted post: Xbox 360 is expected to sell at around $299

I think that that is a load of ****. Unless Microsoft is doing that same thing as Sony and releasing the Xbox 360 for less than it costs to make.

Quoted post: "Our ideal [for the PS3] is for consumers to think to themselves, 'OK, I'll work more hours and buy it.' We want people to feel that they want it, no matter what."

I don't think anyone would want to work more to buy a PS3. That is the worst strategy I have every heard of. But, it seemed to work with the Playstation 1 and the PSP according to that article aswell:

Quoted post: "When Nintendo was selling its 16-bit machine at around 12,500 yen ($114), we sold the first PlayStation at 39,800 yen ($364)," continued Kutaragi. "The press was saying that it was expensive, but it was a huge hit. It's the same thing with the PlayStation Portable from last year. The Game Boy Advance is a same handheld gaming machine, and it costs less than 10 thousand yen ($91). On the other hand, our PSP had cost 25,000 yen ($229). But people lined up overnight to buy it, and it sold out on the day of its launch. It all depends on whether people want it. Of course, I'm confident that the PS3 is a product that people will definitely want."

Quoted post: So whose going to pay the $100 defecit they're going to make on every PS3 they make?

Every console loses money, or pretty much every single one. They make the money up through their software. So this won't be anything knew from them, MSoft, or Nintendo, it's just the way it works.

Except this time, MSoft may make this a big problem for Sony, thus, Sony never makes the money back.

Posted by Random

But it's not a small loss. Thats $100 per console. If they sold millions of consoles, their losing 100x that. Sure you make the money back up but what if the PS3 isn't as popular. I notice the PS2 isn't really even too popular anymore. I work in game retailing and We sell as much Xbox and GC Games/Consoles then we do PS2. A lot of people purchased the PS2 but the PS3 might not be as hot as a seller. If they don't sell as much in games and they lose money per console, it could come back to bite them in the ***.

Posted by Axis

[QUOTE=loony636]That was the funniest thing I ever read. So whose going to pay the $100 defecit they're going to make on every PS3 they make?
You better believe it.

[quote]I think that that is a load of ****. Unless Microsoft is doing that same thing as Sony and releasing the Xbox 360 for less than it costs to make.
Did you know that Microsoft lost 150$(I think, correct me if I'm wrong) each console they sold?

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting loony636: Unless Microsoft is doing that same thing as Sony and releasing the Xbox 360 for less than it costs to make.

Actually, that's exactly what Microsoft will do.

Posted by verystrait42

Revolution is the way to go. especially if u have a DS

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Im probably gonna get the XBOX 360 first because it comes out what, a year before rev comes out?

Then a year later when the Rev comes out (late 06') Ill get the Rev. : )

Posted by Random

oh really? I didn't know they made a Release date for it yet..

I'll probably buy them in order they come in. I'm not poor so i'll probably get all 3. Like I did with these Consoles. I ended up preferring the Xbox but the other consoles had strong points as well. Next Gen Consoles theres no telling what will happen. So I tend to be picky and try all before I decide.