Nintendo Nintendo Nintendo...

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

I have a DS but I seriously think Nintendo messed up. Dont get me wrong I love Nintendo, I buy all of there systems but they really messed up on the DS. Their mistakes are really killing them. Heres a list of the things nintendo should have done to make the DS kick a**!

First off Nintendo should have released the DS when the ONLINE "feature" was up and running. More people would have bought it at the launch if it had the online feature.

The launch games sucked...besides Super Mario 64DS, and Metroid Prime. I mean with the DS capabilites they could have came out with awesome launch games that would have made people actually WANT the DS.

Im actually kinda convienced that they made the same mistake with the DS as they did with the Virtual Boy. Virtual Boy was ahead of its time, with actual 3D graphics in 1995, but nintendo payed no attention to it and just worked mostly on the N64. Most of the VB's launch games werent the greatest and HALF of the Virtualboys games never got released. Great masterpieces like bound high, and dragon hopper never got released. Nintendo did a good job marketing the DS .........but they did a horrible job marketing the VB.

Anybody agree with my point of views?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Who cares. Online and tons of great games are coming soon.

Posted by Apathetic

Super Mario 64 DS is getting boring and I didnt even beat it on Nintendo 64 :P

True but the DS isnt doing good right now against the PSP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
My virtual boy website (its under construction)
[url]www.virtualrealityzone.cjb.net[/url]

Quoting Vampiro: Who cares. Online and tons of great games are coming soon.

True but if they would have done that at the launch they would have been doing really well and more people would have the DS instead of the PSP : )

I personally think the DS is better than the PSP but....sony is doing better right now.

Quoted post: True but if they would have done that at the launch they would have been doing really well and more people would have the DS instead of the PSP : )

The DS is doing well, better than the PSP in fact. Hell, if they released it now instead of when they did, they would have been screwd.

Yeah but my point is that they would have been doing even BETTER if they released the DS with the online feature and better launch games. : )

Sure. But they didn't. And they really had no choice. They needed to get a head start on the PSP, and they did. Simple as that really.

Posted by VicE

Not to try and start a debate or anything, but...

I think the reason that people feel that the DS hasn't been used to its full potential is because it's so new. I don't mean new in the sense that it's only been out for a few months, but new in the sense that it's pretty much completely unlike any handheld to come before it. With the PSP it's pretty easy to design games for it; just take any old game you would have put on any other console and make it work on the PSP hardware. With the DS, however, you've got a setup that's so vastly different from every other system on the market that designing for the DS the way you would for any other console just won't work. It's a pretty radical concept for a handheld, and developers are just now figuring out exactly what to do with it. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't expecting the first few games for the DS to really take full advantage of the hardware; I figured they'd probably have a few minimal touch screen or microphone features as developers were sort of playing around and practicing with what all the system could do.

Granted, only a few of the games out now really use the DS's features to their full effect. However, several of the upcoming games look like they're going to utilize the touch screen and mic much more effectively than anything we have now, presumably because those games have been in development longer and the developers have had more time to really play around and get used to the unique hardware the game's being made for. I'm personally very excited for Nintendogs and Electroplankton, as they're both so completely different from anything Nintendo's done before. As well as Another Code or Trace Memory or whatever that game's being called now. Not to mention the DS versions of Mario Kart and Animal Crossing (online, to boot), among others.

And really, I've noticed that (with a couple of exceptions) the first generation titles for a new console/handheld are almost always a tad lackluster in terms of really pushing the system's capabilites; it's not until later in the system's life that we start getting games that really push the hardware to its limit and doing things that probably wouldn't have seemed possible at the time of the system's launch. For example, just compare Super Mario 64 to, say, Conker's Bad Fur Day. Same console, same hardware, but a GIGANTIC leap forward in graphic/sound quality.

Anyway, as for the online thing... better late than never, I say. There are plenty of great-looking games coming out in the next few months. Sure, I only own four DS games at the moment (five if you count the MP:H demo), but they're all great IMO, and that's still three (or four) more than I owned for the N64 at this point in that system's life. :P

Bleh, and another post by me that goes on and on without end. I'll shut up now. XD

Posted by Soul_Tassadar

I think the DS outsold the psp 3:1 so far. So they didn't do that bad, hell, I wouldn't even complain.

Posted by XxLINKxX

Can anyone tell me all about the DS?

Look around, maybe at the official site. There's tons of info floating around.

Posted by Random

Quoting XxLINKxX: Can anyone tell me all about the DS?

Yeah it's rather boring for now... The best Game I'd have to say is Mario 64
:-P *Think N64*

Uh yeah.. I look forward to FFIII.. and a few other games that are mainly coming out also for the PSP or out for home consoles. Nothing really special. I don't expect much out of Nintendo handhelds from now on. they just keep Releasing them by the dozens anymore.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Goldeneye: Rogue Agent is out now, at least. Picking up my copy tomorrow. It should hold my FPS cravings off until Metroid Prime Hunters comes out. The DS is just made for the genre.

Posted by Mini Rebew

i think the ds did make some mistakes with launch titles, but they did good in coming out before the psp, if they would have waited for online, people would have gotten impatient and gotten a psp. I love my ds,a and i find myself playing even the crappiest games for it *cough*yoshi touch and go*cough* but thats because i like the arcadey games, and thats why i like the ds. The system has MAJOR potential with online coming out. I dont think the psp is ever going to break away and out sell the ds, it just has too many good games coming out. All of the games up until now have been pretty crappy with a few exceptions (wario ware touced and mario 64).

Final thought: Metroid Hunters is going to kick so much butt online, i have so much fun playing it with my friends, its going to be sooo much better online. Probably even enough to pull me away from halo 2. Not to mention Mario Kart. -drools-

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Goldeneye: Rogue Agent is out now, at least. Picking up my copy tomorrow. It should hold my FPS cravings off until Metroid Prime Hunters comes out. The DS is just made for the genre.

NO, DON'T!

Posted by Shade

Exactly what I was thinking. It's bad enough on the consoles.

Posted by Axis

If you guys want a game to play for awhile, go get Kirby Canvas Curse, it's fun.

Posted by Boner

I'll start off by saying that I loved the Virtual Boy. And Nintendo clearly screwed up on that one. Good system with a few down sides, and poor marketing. I think Nintendo learned a hard lesson with the VB. So, they are putting more energy into promoting the DS.

I'd have to agree with Vampiro when he stated that they needed to release it when they did, else they'd have been screwed. They had to get a jump start on the PSP. I have a DS and a PSP. I don't play the DS much. Not enough games to interest me....yet. But, I still have faith in Nintendo. Really, it's hard to say which unit is better between the two. They really have very little in common as far as functionality.

As far as the touch screen feature...well, that's nothing really new. It just hadn't been applied to a handheld video game system before. Much like the stereoscopic 3D effects the VB had. Nothing new, just applied differently than people had seen before. Many PDAs (Personal Digital Assistant) have mini-games in them. Since a PDA has the touch screen.....well, there ya go. A somewhat recycled idea.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I really don't think Nintendo is screwing up with the DS. If they had, it wouldn't be doing as well as it is now. Sure, I'll agree that there are some things they could be doing better. But, as a whole, they are on the right track. At least they aren't leaving it up to one man to pull a miracle out of his @ss and try to get the thing to sell like they did with the VB.

Quoting VirtualRealityZone: The launch games sucked...besides Super Mario 64DS, and Metroid Prime

Ummm, check your launch titles again...

Quoted post: If you guys want a game to play for awhile, go get Kirby Canvas Curse, it's fun.

Posted by verystrait42

DS IS AWSOME. good launch games were few and far between, but now there are many good games and still many to come. thx nintendo

Posted by Drewboy64

When Mario Kart comes out. My blue carpet will become white, if you know what I mean.

Posted by Arczu

Uh... I think I if one doesn't undertand, they they may not WANT to understand.... I don't know...

The DS will definately be getting some interesting games. Of course, there may be some titles that come out and don't really end up being that great, but still, people who say the DS suck probably haven't even touched one.

Posted by junior senior

True.

There's this dumbass kid I know and he was saying "well I think the PSP is better than the DS so the DS is better than the PSP."

This is what we call a moron.

This coming october/november, there will be awesome games coming out for the DS...I can't wait.

Posted by Mr. Pistol

Quoting VirtualRealityZone: I have a DS but I seriously think Nintendo messed up. Dont get me wrong I love Nintendo, I buy all of there systems but they really messed up on the DS. Their mistakes are really killing them. Heres a list of the things nintendo should have done to make the DS kick a**!

First off Nintendo should have released the DS when the ONLINE "feature" was up and running. More people would have bought it at the launch if it had the online feature.

The launch games sucked...besides Super Mario 64DS, and Metroid Prime. I mean with the DS capabilites they could have came out with awesome launch games that would have made people actually WANT the DS.

Im actually kinda convienced that they made the same mistake with the DS as they did with the Virtual Boy. Virtual Boy was ahead of its time, with actual 3D graphics in 1995, but nintendo payed no attention to it and just worked mostly on the N64. Most of the VB's launch games werent the greatest and HALF of the Virtualboys games never got released. Great masterpieces like bound high, and dragon hopper never got released. Nintendo did a good job marketing the DS .........but they did a horrible job marketing the VB.

Anybody agree with my point of views?

I think they panicked a bit and pushed it out in order to get a head start when fanboys started raving about the PSP.

But yes, the DS just feels a little empty, a bit unfinished. Could have been so much more.

I've only had mine for a couple of days and the novelty is already starting to wear off.

Quoted post: I think they panicked a bit and pushed it out in order to get a head start when fanboys started raving about the PSP.

But yes, the DS just feels a little empty, a bit unfinished. Could have been so much more.

And yet, it's kicking ***.

Posted by Mr. Pistol

Quoting Vampiro: And yet, it's kicking ***.
Well I can't really judge it just yet, being as I only have one game... which happens to be a re-make of a game I played to death a few years ago lol.

Quoted post: Well I can't really judge it just yet, being as I only have one game... which happens to be a re-make of a game I played to death a few years ago lol.

The '"it's" indicates I was referring to the race between the PSP and the DS. As in, the DS is kicking the PSP ass at this point.

Posted by loathing

The DS v PSP debate is pretty pointless, guys. Sorry to burst your fanboy bubbles and all, but while the PSP is Sony's attempt to get a piece of the handheld market, the DS is an experimentation in game design that ISN'T meant to sell millions of units. The fact that they are developing a new Gameboy as we speak should say it all. The PSP, on the other hand, badly, BADLY needs to sell, or else it'll wind up embarassing Sony and costing them quite a bit of money.

Quoted post: the DS is an experimentation in game design that ISN'T meant to sell millions of units.

So wait, they just developed it as a throw away until the next Gameboy? Gah, OF COURSE.

Quoted post: The fact that they are developing a new Gameboy as we speak should say it all.

When they call the DS "The Thrid Pillar" it makes you believe otherwise. For all we know, they could continue the DS line.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting loathing: The DS v PSP debate is pretty pointless, guys. Sorry to burst your fanboy bubbles and all, but while the PSP is Sony's attempt to get a piece of the handheld market, the DS is an experimentation in game design that ISN'T meant to sell millions of units. The fact that they are developing a new Gameboy as we speak should say it all. The PSP, on the other hand, badly, BADLY needs to sell, or else it'll wind up embarassing Sony and costing them quite a bit of money.

Uh, they actually said there aren't any new GBs coming in the near future.

Quoted post: Uh, they actually said there aren't any new GBs coming in the near future.

They probably have a few ideas though. But yeah, with the DS and the Micro and having to get the Revolution out there, there's no need for a new one for quite a while.

Posted by Pit

Quoting loathing: the DS is an experimentation in game design that ISN'T meant to sell millions of units.

It was meant to sell millions of units and it has and it continues to.

Posted by Random

Quoting Speedfreak: Uh, they actually said there aren't any new GBs coming in the near future.

What about the Micro? It's new even if it is just an enhancement to the Advance. It's a new System just playing Current Games. Sorta like the PStwo. It's being released and i'm sure it'll sell well.

I await to really see how Nintendo's handhelds go from here. The DS wasn't a bad idea. It has sold millions, perhaps not as much as they had wished but is definately so far the leader in handheld wars. I'm curious to see what new inivative ideas Nintendo has for the future.

Quoted post: What about the Micro? It's new even if it is just an enhancement to the Advance. It's a new System just playing Current Games. Sorta like the PStwo. It's being released and i'm sure it'll sell well.

He was implying a whole new GB, not just an enhancement.

Posted by Random

eh... ok. Thats probably for the best. Nintendo should keep the DS for at least 2 years.

Posted by Bebop

A least 2 years? Why so little?

Posted by Random

Well there was a Going rate or not even that between the Pocket, Color and Advance. I would like to see more than 2 years but with the old going rate.

They should keep it for longer.. The competition is well the N-Gage and the PSP. And neither Sony or Nokia show any signs of releasing anything new, and the DS is pounding them both down. Why change?

Posted by TheSpider

Ok maybe the DS had crappy launch games, but they have much better games and online coming soon so you dont have to complain anymore! Isnt that fantastic :).

Posted by Pit

Quoting SomebodyRandom: What about the Micro? It's new even if it is just an enhancement to the Advance. It's a new System just playing Current Games. Sorta like the PStwo. It's being released and i'm sure it'll sell well.

It's still not a new system. I don't care how much you say it's "new", it isn't. It has a new look, big deal. It plays GBA games. It's not surpassing the GBA in terms of graphics, sound, etc., because it's the same system in a new look.

Speedy is talking about a whole new gameboy altogether. One that's more powerful, etc.

[quote=SomebodyRandom]
I await to really see how Nintendo's handhelds go from here. The DS wasn't a bad idea. It has sold millions, perhaps not as much as they had wished but is definately so far the leader in handheld wars.

Perhaps not as much as they wanted to? I don't know, but you make it seem as they're doing bad... I don't get it. Seriously, I just don't anymore.

Posted by Random

Urg... I didn't mean they're doing bad, but they're not Selling as many Units as they had GBA's by any stretch of the imagination at this point in time. Infact working in the Retail Business I have to say, I sell way more GBA SP's than I have DS's, PSP's and N-Gages Combined. Of course we recently stopped selling N-Gages..

But the DS isn't as hot of a seller as their previous work. Not saying it's done bad because obviously their making profit off of the system, and their easily paddling their opponents with a stick. I wasn't trying to make them look downgraded. Just pointing out it isn't selling as hot as they probably had hoped like the GBA SP.

Posted by Pit

The DS line hasn't even been out for a year man. Why are you comparing it to the GBA?

Posted by Speedfreak

Dude, it's not even a year into it's life and it's sold 6 million units. Not even GBA was doing that good.

Posted by Random

I believe the GBA SP did better than the DS did in this span of time. I could be wrong. I'll do a little research on that.