Monitor Messed Up.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Okay, as I make this thread, I'm looking at everything in a yellow tint. The color is messed up, as is the contrast, brightness and deguass (demagnetizer). The color is the worst, every so often it flickers in different colors, mostly yellow. Sometimes it does it so bad that it sticks for a couple of minutes, but right now, it's been like this for 45 minutes, every so often going back to normal for a moment, then right back to yellow. That's the best I can explain that. The contrast gives a blinding effect, even on 50%. The brightness just messes up because of the contrast. It seems that the lighter the colors on the screen, the more it does it. If there are a lot of colors on the screen or dark colors, it does it less. Another thing is the deguass. You should only be able to do that every hour or so. For me, it works every minute.

My question. How do find the source of this problem? The monitor is only 6 weeks old, and worked fine for a month, so I don't expect it to be faulty, though I wouldn't be surprised (**** third rate companies). Anyway, I suspect magnetic activity considering the deguass works so much, but there is none around my computer.

Solution or return the monitor?

Posted by brownoystercult

You seem to have lots of troubles with your computer :(

I would return it. But that's just me.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Quoting Uchiha Itachi: You seem to have lots of troubles with your computer :(

I would return it. But that's just me.

As of late, yes.

Posted by Klarth

Check it's plugged in properly... You've probably done that a thousand times already, though. Try adjusting colour temperature, and if all else fails, open the thing up and tell me what it looks/smells like.

And if it seems alright, take it back and whine.

Posted by sniper

Loose wire, or something equally simple, probably. But I'm sure opening it would void any warranties. Just return it.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Move all other electronic devices as far away from teh monitor as possible. Make sure you don't have your speakers sitting on top of it and what not. Unplug and blow on the pins of the connector. And if all that fails, reinstall yoru video card and monitor drivers.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Majesty]open the thing up and tell me what it looks/smells like.
Rule one: Do not open a monitor willy-nilly unless you're a qualified electrician. Monitors store a lot of electricity in the compacitors even years after they have stopped being used. Hence why it is highly recommended that only experienced, qualified technicians open a monitor when repairing or inspecting them. If you want to kill or injure Linkman, telling him to open his monitor is the ticket. The same thing applies to televisions, since they are incredibly similar to computer monitors.

Linkman, you could try using Adobe Gamma to fix your colour and yellow tint issues, but I think this is down to it actually being a monitor problem more than anything else. Try wiggling the cable when the monitor appears to be playing up; perhaps a cable inside the sheath is either broken or beginning to grow weak at a certain point. My ten year old monitor started showing similar signs as yours; extreme yellow tint (of which I fixed nearly every week or two with Adobe Gamma), and then more closer to when I stopped using it entirely, it began to grow really dim when bumped, even just slightly.

Additionally, a computer monitor that had colour problems of which I fixed several months ago was caused by a pin being bent. Bent or squashed pins are a common occurance in monitor plugs, my old monitor had a squashed pin (but didn't seem to affect it) and the monitor I fixed, of which had major colour problems and a shocking blue tint was caused because of the bent pin. Check your plug and try to gently push any bent or squashed pins back into their rightful position.

If you don't want to buy a new monitor, try testing the monitor on another machine first. If problems persist on another machine, try getting the monitor inspected by a qualified technician or getting it repaired or replaced via a warrenty (if any) that came with your product. I hope this is of some help, despite the late reply. It might help someone else, to say the least.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Trigger: Rule one: Do not open a monitor willy-nilly unless you're a qualified electrician. Monitors store a lot of electricity in the compacitors even years after they have stopped being used. Hence why it is highly recommended that only experienced, qualified technicians open a monitor when repairing or inspecting them. If you want to kill or injure Linkman, telling him to open his monitor is the ticket. The same thing applies to televisions, since they are incredibly similar to computer monitors.

This reminds me of the time my father and I decided to take a recently broken-down television set apart. We didn't touch any of the capacitors, but when we removed the exterior casing, one little component on a circuit board pretty much went berserk, vibrating rapidly and making a loud noise before projecting itself across the room. Bizarre, check. Creepy, check. We knew the set was shot.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Raptor]...one little component on a circuit board pretty much went berserk, vibrating rapidly and making a loud noise before projecting itself across the room.
"Oh, what the fuck is that?" *leans toward the circuit board, to get a closer look* "Ow! Bloody thing hit me in the eye!"

Lesson learned: Televisions like to get violent.

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Hahaha. Wow, good thing I never did open it. I highly doubt the electricity bottled up in the monitor would be enough to kill someone though. Raptor's story reminded me of the time I tried to fix a vacuum cleaner. The cord was cut off and I was putting it back on. I crossed the ground wire and one of the 2 electrical wires. What was even more dumb was the vacuum was on when I plugged it in. It shot sparks good 4 feet, and made an huge pop noise. I remember being so freaked out I was actually laughing about it for an hour.

The problem is the monitor, but it doesn't do all that much anymore. The only thing it really does now is goes extremely bright for about 5 minutes once the computer is turned on, then it fixes itself. It almost entirely stopped the yellow tint thing, unless the background is white. All and all, I put up with it best I can.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Linkman]I highly doubt the electricity bottled up in the monitor would be enough to kill someone though.
Care to test that? A monitor holds a large amount of voltage. Apparently, the electricity stored in the monitor capacitors can power an entire small neighbourhood for three seconds. If that amount of power can't kill you, I don't know what can. The human body requires at least 0.04 to 0.07 amps to kill and a standard 17" CRT monitor produces 1.4 amps; more than enough to be fatal.

Whether you think it kills or not, I wouldn't be taking my chances.