E3 2005: Top 10 List/Biggest Disappointment List

Posted by Axis

E3 2005 has come and gone now and were left waiting until May 10-12, 2006 before we can experience it again. Now that everything is over, what were your favorite games and what were your biggest disappointments of the show? (Lists can be as long as they want).

Top 5 Things That Got Me Excited.
5. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - I've been a big fan of the Morrowind game and this one looks even more impressive.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - I've been waiting for a new Zelda for along time now, and I'm excited as hell when I saw the game.

3. Ghost Recon 3 - Definitely one of the better looking games at E3 this year, I am a huge fan of the Ghost Recon series and the detail of the game on this one has me more excited than I ever have been before for an Ubisoft game.

2. Killzone 2 - Come on, this game just looked flat out awesome. Although I probably wont get a Playstation 3 myselft, my brother in college will. I think going on 2 hour drive over to his place to play this game is worth it.

1. Gears Of War - At first, I heard the title and say a little picture of Marcus Fenix, and didn't look any further. Then, I got to see more and more screens for and went "Hey, this doesn't look all that bad." Once I read a huge article on Game Informer's new issue, I was sold. Even the trailers made me want to say "This is a must have." I would also have to agree with many other people out there that Gears Of War could very well be a Killer App for the Xbox 360.

Biggest Disappointments of E3
5. Not Many Game Video's For The Revolution - I wanted to see hands on games of the Nintendo Revolution and instead I'm coming out of E3 with a sour mouth.

4. Playstation 3 Online? - I wanted to hear how Sony would pair up against Microsoft's Xbox Live service but I didn't hear anything from them at at all.

3. Microsoft - The biggest E3 for them in the past 5 years and they fell flat on their face. They shouldn't have done that lame show on MTV. Better yet, they used Alpha Kits for their games at E3 meaning that the games really didn't look good. Only if they had gotten the Beta Kits earlier I think the games would have been alot more impressive.

2. Nintendo Specs/No Controller Show - I wanted to hear from Nintendo what Microsoft and Sony were announcing: Specs. All we got was some pictures of the system itself, and I didn't get to see what the controller would like either.

1. No Perfect Dark Zero - This shocked me, I thought this game would be a driving force for the 360 and I didn't see it anywhere. Instead of gameplay footage or in game screenshots, we just got these little pictures that have nothing to do with the game whatsoever.

Posted by Morag2

I wasn't dissapointed at all with Nintendo's rev stuff, specs would be nice but they showed enough to get me pumped. Besides that your list is pretty much the same as mine.

Posted by Black_Wolf

I haven't really delved deep into the E3 Coverage yet, just what I saw on G4 and their live shows and a few blurbs here and there on the net, but here's my Plus's and Negatives.

The Good

+ Killzone footage : If it's gameplay, then there will be no competition for the PS3 & it's awesome b/c I thought that Killzone would be the perfect game for Sony and the launch of the new console, so I pretty much predicated the future

+ PS3 : The Specs, the games, it's all sweet as hell. The PS3 is gonna rock. Up to 7 wireless controllers via Bluetooth, the USB capabilities, the backwards compatability of both the PSone & PS2...the system sounds great and they've got lots of time to make it better

+ Legend of Zelda : The triumphant return of Link and the new footage is awesome. It's pretty crazy to think that Nintendo can sell systems simply because of one Title. I can't wait to play it, the mature Link and the horse riding all look spectacular.

The Bad

- Nintendo : Alot of fanboys will disagree, but Nintendo officially sucked it up in my book. A poor showing of the Revolution w/ no specs and/or controller, a new Gameboy that isn't new, just smaller. Don't get me wrong, I want one, but it just doesn't seem intelligent to produce three of the same system. I've never liked the DS, I think it sucks and the main game for it at E3 was Nintendogs. Innovative or not, this is not a game that sells systems. It's not a must-have game. Yea, some of the stuff is cool, but not enough to buy a DS and it's ****ty game library. And my last gripe for Nintendo is its plans for the 'Cube. They plan on releasing 4 new Mario Games. Mario Baseball, Mario Soccer, Mario Party 7 and Mario DDR. What a crap lineup. How hard was it to make those titles? And you've gotta be ****ting me if they're gonna try and charge 40-50 bucks for a Mario Baseball game and turn around and charge that for a Mario Soccer game...that's re-got-dam-diculous. Why not make a Mario Sports Challenge game w/ Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, hell whatever fuggin' sports you want, Mario Curling, I don't, but I would definetly buy a Mario Sports Challenge game, but not a baseball game w/ Mario characters. Retarded.

- Current Console Attention ; So the 360's coming out in the fall and the PS3 maybe even a whole year later than that. What the hell am I supposed to do until then? The answer should be "playing my current consoles", but it seems like the developers are forgetting about the systems that got them where they are now. There are some great games still to come - Castlevania, Conker, Shadow of the Colossus, etc., - but production of current console games is gonna get real sluggish real fast. And that ****es me off. Microsoft Game Studios has 1 game slated for release by their company for the Xbox. One game. Ridiculous. I want the new consoles to be everything they can too, but don't neglect the consoles I have right now!

- Pop Culture Infiltration : Who the hell gave Marc Ecko a game?! And why would they do such a thing? Game looks stupid as hell. Looks like the tagging in GTA SA was more fun. In his interview w/ G4 he said "It's about the corporate dominance" or something stupid...um, then why does he charge 80 bucks for a hoody? And 50cent has a game now...who the hell does he think he is making himself the main character? What makes him think that I want to play as him. By making the game about him, it's automatically a game that's trying to make money and nothing else. I am supremely ****ed off about that game. So pretty much, leave videogame making to people who know what the **** they're doing.

The Ugly

? PS3 Controller : Looks like it sucks

? Nintendo Emulator : The ability to play all the old games isn't enticing at all

There's tons more I could put, but that's all I can think of right now.

Posted by boomstick

Top five things that left me wet:

5.Legend Of Zelda: Twilght Princess(GCN)-Come on, a darker and maturer Zelda game, come on, COME ON!

4.Unreal Tournament 2007(Next Gen PC and Console)-My ***, did you see that demo on G4, unfreaking believeable.

3.KillZone 2(PS3)-I'm not a fan of the first, but that demo took my breath away

2.Gears Of War(Xbox 360)-Looked kickass, to say the least and online co-op and since Xbox 360 will have a free version of Xbox Live, I'm happy.

1.PlayStation 3-I personally liked the look of the system and seeing the graphic capabilities made me drool, plus the already confirmed games that were at E3 were just great, really looking forward to it's release next year.

Top 5 dissapointments

5.Super Mario 128-Were the hell was it?

4.Microsoft's Conference-Yeah, if you watched it, you know why

3.No Fallout 3-I'd been hearing rumors about it being revived and being at E3, but...

2.Overuse of Mario-I like Mario, but it seem like Nintendo is putting him in everything possible, it's one thing to promote a character, but it's getting **** ridiculus.

1.No Revolution game footage-I would have been stasified with a fucking screenshot from a Revolution game.....

Posted by Shade

Good:

Killzone 2: Dang, that trailer is just so f*cking awesome that makes me say, "I'll steal this game if I have too.

The PS3: Finally, it's revealed. And with it's capabilities, and already hardcore game line-up, I'm sold. Or should I say, it's sold.

Super Smash Online: 'nuff said.

The PS3 Controller: It saddens me that I'm the only who seems to like it. :(

Since I'm such as optimistic person, I'll just leave it there. And no, it's not a mistake that the new Zelda isn't on there. But one thing, why no new Golden Sun? WHY CAMELOT?! WHY!?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

The new issue of EGM has some shots from Perfect Dark Zero. Strange that they didn't show any footage of the title, if they're giving out shots to the media.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Nothing seemed dissapointing to me except a few thinigs. I expected to see some systems with amazing specs. I just don't care enough to buy them though.

I'm dissapointed that nintendo didn't show any footage of revolutions, and just said it was going to happen. Felt like BS made the day before. Another game boy? Mario Baseball and more Mario party, oh ***.

I'm only happy that they said they will work on a new smash bros game and that it will be online. Thats the only thing I needed to hear from nintendo. That alone is still making me happy right now :-p

Posted by Klarth

Five greatest thingies:

5 - That one FF7 video.
4 - Seeing how cool the game boy micro looks.
3 - Being able to balk at the ugliness of the PS3.
2 - Seeing the Revolution in funky different colours.
1 - LoZ: Twilight Princess.

Disappointments:

- X360 actually looks pretty cool.
- no revolution tech videos? what?
- where's online ds

Posted by buddha

Quoting Black_Wolf][color=black]I haven't really delved deep into the E3 Coverage yet, just what I saw on G4 and their live shows and a few blurbs here and there on the net, but here's my Plus's and Negatives.

The Good

+ Killzone footage : If it's gameplay, then there will be no competition for the PS3 & it's awesome b/c I thought that Killzone would be the perfect game for Sony and the launch of the new console, so I pretty much predicated the future

+ PS3 : The Specs, the games, it's all sweet as hell. The PS3 is gonna rock. Up to 7 wireless controllers via Bluetooth, the USB capabilities, the backwards compatability of both the PSone & PS2...the system sounds great and they've got lots of time to make it better

+ Legend of Zelda : The triumphant return of Link and the new footage is awesome. It's pretty crazy to think that Nintendo can sell systems simply because of one Title. I can't wait to play it, the mature Link and the horse riding all look spectacular.

The Bad

- Nintendo : Alot of fanboys will disagree, but Nintendo officially sucked it up in my book. A poor showing of the Revolution w/ no specs and/or controller, a new Gameboy that isn't new, just smaller. Don't get me wrong, I want one, but it just doesn't seem intelligent to produce three of the same system. I've never liked the DS, I think it sucks and the main game for it at E3 was Nintendogs. Innovative or not, this is not a game that sells systems. It's not a must-have game. Yea, some of the stuff is cool, but not enough to buy a DS and it's ****ty game library. And my last gripe for Nintendo is its plans for the 'Cube. They plan on releasing 4 new Mario Games. Mario Baseball, Mario Soccer, Mario Party 7 and Mario DDR. What a crap lineup. How hard was it to make those titles? And you've gotta be ****ting me if they're gonna try and charge 40-50 bucks for a Mario Baseball game and turn around and charge that for a Mario Soccer game...that's re-got-dam-diculous. Why not make a Mario Sports Challenge game w/ Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, hell whatever fuggin' sports you want, Mario Curling, I don't, but I would definetly buy a Mario Sports Challenge game, but not a baseball game w/ Mario characters. Retarded.

- Current Console Attention :

disagree with the last statement bigtime! being able to play thousands of nintendo games from the past is the most exciting news of the whole show in my opinion.thats kinda weird as the show was all about next gen stuff and im most excited about playing games from long ago all over again. lol!

Posted by inequity

Things I was excited about

-Nintendo DS Game Lineup: Great titles coming out such as mario kart, animal crossing, trauma center and nintendogs.

-PS3: Im definetly getting this before revolution (unless something changes)

-Shadow of Colossus: The game looks awsome, and very original.

-Super Smash Bros Online: Yep.

-Nintndo Press Confrence: Hilarious.

-Burnout 4: Great games in the past, great game now.

I didnt really hate anything except of course the revolution info and what not.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: being able to play thousands of nintendo games from the past

I believe only 1st party and 2nd party games will be made availble. They don't own the rights to the majority of the games that appeared on their consoles.

Posted by Big Boss

5 BEST THINGS OF E3!

5. During a GameSpot Complete Live interview with one of the guys from Konami working on Coded Arms for the PSP, the company's first entry into the FPS genre, I submitted a question that eventually got asked. The GameSpot guy said my last name funny, but my question caught the guy off guard. I asked if there would be a home version of Coded Arms, and the guy nervously stated he couldn't comment on that, followed by GameSpot guy insinuating something was up. So... don't be surprised if Coded Arms ever makes it to a console near you. WOOHOO!

4. Capcom. Capcom wants to go retro along with the rest of the industry, so they're releasing a collection of some of their arcade classics, such as Street Fighter II and Final Fight in a compilation disc. It also showed footage of the upcoming Mega Man X Collection, which I am dying to get. It revealed a BRAND NEW Final Fight game, called Streetwise, where you have to save Cody! I'll save you, Cody, man, you rule! And lastly, my favorite of all, a PSP version of the greatest fighting game ever made, with wi-fi play: Street Fighter Alpha 3. PSP, you have now become a necessity. Oh, and let's not forget about Onimusha 4!

3. News that Nintendo Revolution will allow you to download the entire catalog of Nintendo published games since the NES days. Now that is backwards compatibility. The best years of Nintendo are behind us, and that's what Nintendo is bringing us: Their time in the spotlight. Not only that, but recently Nintendo announced they will talk with third-party publishers to get their NES/SNES/N64 games for downloads, too. It's every old school gamer's dream, and every eBay whore's nightmare. Well done.

2. The PS3. Wow. That's how you introduce a gaming console, *hint to Microsoft and Nintendo.* You start with the cold, hard facts: the specs. You move on to some technical demonstrations from some of the most respected companies in the industry, like Square and Epic Games. You follow it up by game designers from these major companies praising the system, and you end it with the most important thing... the games. Everyone, everyone was surprised at the number of games shown. Sony divided it by first showing old timers making a comeback, with MGS4, Devil May Cry 4, Gran Turismo 5, Tekken 6, and the talk of the whole show: Killzone 2. Then you show your new properties, games that work with the Eye Toy in interesting ways, as well as titles that show off the power of the PS3 such as action games with hundreds of enemies on screen. Amazing. Then, you close the conference with the system itself. Other than the no-show, ugly controller (which will get fixed either before, or after launch - or hey, maybe it's actually ergonomic... we'll see), the unveiling of the system was perfect, continuing the streak Sony has of pleasing the media and fans alike every single year with content over style. No matter how many others say they'll "kick *** and take names," or show their "hip strategy," nothing beats promising software from the best developers in the world. Praise Sony.

1. The unveiling of Metal Gear Solid 4. As a fan of the series, I had mixed feelings about the announced title. On one hand, it'd be the sequel to my favorite game series. The next game in what I know to be the best game series ever conceived, and one of the greatest artistic works in our history. On the other hand, Hideo Kojima stated several times that he would not be directing the game, and would only have the role as producer, if at all. He'd be focusing his efforts on a new game, unrelated completely to MGS. The name Alan Smithee was named a few times, a name representing the anonymity of directors responsible for some of the worst films and TV episodes ever created.

A team of excellent programmers can make a great looking, playing game... but it wouldn't have the cohesive nature of a masterpiece, the direction of the man responsible for creating the series. So, in E3, I was happy and sad to know MGS4 would be coming to the PS3... but that was just the tip of the iceberg. In a style only Hideo Kojima is known for, a hilarious trailer was released using the PS2 hardware and MGS3 engine to introduce the team working on the next game. The director would finally be revealed after endless hilarity... and when Snake finally sat down in the director's chair... the words "Hideo Kojima" showed proudly on the back of the chair. "No replacement for Hideo!" followed. It was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. A tear was brought to my eye, as Kojima finally cave to the plea of his team and his fans. MGS4 would have Kojima on board as much as the MGS games before it, and now he can focus on creativity alone as his duties in the new "Kojima Productions" do not involve business duty, unlike his job as VP of KCEJ. Surely the most gratifying news of the best E3 ever, along with the best trailer.

5 MOST DISAPPOINTING THINGS OF E3!

5. The fact that I didn't go. I've been so busy with Full Sail, I didn't have time to participate in Sony G.A.P. member contest. The 5 winners would go to E3 and report on PS2 news, as well as answer questions from fellow G.A.P. members. I will likely go next year when I become an IGDA (International Game Developers Association) member (several months from now), but this year was it. Well, next year would be the complete unveiling of the Revolution, as well as a ton of next-gen games, so we'll see.

4. No show for Silicon Knights. I figure it's too early for them to have anything on right now, especially after just partnering up with Sega, but they've had A LONG TIME TO HAVE A NEW GAME IN DEVELOPMENT BY THEMSELVES!!!

3. The Legend of Zelda. Some parts look great, but the gameplay shows it's basically following the Zelda tradition since after OoT. Add gimmicky features to it that are mildly fun to play, but keep the game essentially the same. Majora's Mask was disappointing, Wind Waker was merely solid, and this one looks to be just as good, but not better, than its predecessors. However, I was already looking forward to that. Innovative gameplay hasn't been Nintendo's strength in this generation, so I was strongly, and exclusively, looking forward to the mature upgrade. Sadly, Link's weird, WEIRD wolf change completely turned me off... and having to ride him with some creature didn't help matters, either. To put it simply, I am not as excited about the new Zelda as I was before this year's E3, and THAT is a disappointment.

2. Square showing a mouth-watering tech demo of Final Fantasy VII, only to tell us there are no plans to remake the game. You don't show something like that off to millions of FF fans who have been begging for a remake, only to tell them it'll stay as nothing more than a tech demo. That is just plain evil. Let's hope they lied to us. Please?

1. The Xbox 360 show. I would hate it more, but the press conference was so funny, you gotta give it to Microsoft for continuing to noticeably mess up publicly. Not since Windows 98 crashing down on Bill Gates during its unveiling has Microsoft given me something so funny. The MTV infomercial was close, but not quite there yet. Saying that the system was the strongest ever, after Sony wowed audiences is one thing... but hyping a prime developing company like Square, only to reveal their only 360 game in development is a two/three-year-old MMORPG played to death by PC and PS2 owners is an entirely different matter. Even Square was very vague about developing new properties for the console when asked later. The demos didn't look impressive by comparison to Sony's (DOA already looked outdated), and there was little to no Perfect Dark Zero shown. I want to play that game because I liked the N64 game, not because the new one impressed me. The fact that it is actually being made is good enough news for me. The only truly shining light was the upcoming RPG from Hironobu Sakaguchi, with music done by Nobuo Uematsu. Little details on it, but you know something great has to come out of those great Final Fantasy minds. Then again, Peter Molyneux's Fable was supposed to be the end-all, be-all of RPGs... and, well... you know the story of that.

Halo 3 better come soon, and they might want to rethink that release date for a bit.

? - No new Mario, but more Mario spin-offs? WTF?
? - The Phantom. Where is this mock-of-the-industry machine?
? - When will hentai games arrive in America? We have more perverts than Japan, I tell you!
? - No FFXII playable demo, so therefore no gameplay impressions.

Posted by Solid Snake

I am anticipating everything they showed, except for one dissapointment was, are the videos pre rendered or rendered.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: ? - The Phantom. Where is this mock-of-the-industry machine?

You're still expecting that thing? That project was shut down a long time ago after they ran out of funding.

Quoted post:
? - When will hentai games arrive in America? We have more perverts than Japan, I tell you!

Good question.

Posted by Bebop

(Not in order)

Disapointments
----------------
1>Absence of Mario 128
2>No real details on Revoultion
3> he ps3. Fake videos and disgusting all round
4>Coded Arms. Just looks horrid and appears to play like a dated FPS
5>The disatifaction that although the PS3 is an ugly peice of crap and may end up the weaker of the consoles again, it will still sell much more becuse people like the image of having faulty goods
6>No PSP games that appeal to me

Best things
-----------
1>GBA Micro
2>More Zelda info. When it was first announced I din't really care that much but now I actually want it.
3>The satisfaction of knowing Sony can't create good consoles
4>Vietiful Joe for DS revealed
5>Reggie. The only decent speaker at these conferences. All the others are nerds with trousers up to their nipples who can't deliver a speech for crap.
6>More info on DS online and DS games
7>The new info of Revolution but namely Smash Bros online.

Posted by Pit

5 Best Things of E3

5: After last years video of the Legend of Zelda, there has been nothing, until now. The game looks gorgeous and adds ne gameplay elements never seen in a Zelda title. Link can now fight on horseback, his arrow no longer shoots "straight" ahead, the gale boomerang, which looks like an updated version of the Windwakers boomerang, and of course, the finishin move. Also, the plant boss in which you need the boomerang to guide the bomb into it's mouth looks challenging. The more serious theme is also a plus. We see in the beginning of the game one of Link's friends get shot in the back with an arrow and dies while another gets kidnapped, he gets clubbed on the head and from there your adventure begins.

4: Nintendo Revolution being backwards compatible is a plus. Now you no longer have to set up your N64, SNES, or NES to play the systems greatest games. It's all in your console. Whether or not they'll charge you for the games is still shrouded but I wouldn't mind paying for games like Perfect Dark or Super Punch Out.

3: The Nintendo DS surprised me this year. Last year it was a great announcement, but where were the games? The DS have left many gamers bored with titles like Mario 64, Wario Ware, and perhaps some others after it's launch 5 and a half months ago here in the US. About time we get the titles we want. New Super Mario Bros., Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga 2, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, Castlevania, as well as many other titles. Also, with the DS now going online for free wirelessly, gamers can now challenge millions of gamers worldwide.

2: GameboyMicro. While it may not be a great fo many of you, I'm a handheld guy. My favorite systems, the GBA SP, PSP, and DS are handhelds. I just like portable systems which I can take with me anywhere. The GBMicro puts the technology of the GBA in a smaller package, a better screen, and a slick/sexy design. Also, some great titles are on their way on the GBA that I'd love to get my hands on.

1: Capcom. Hell, what can I say, I love Capcom. How can yopu deny Megaman X anniversary collection? Viewtiful Joe DS? Street Fighter Alpha 3? Dante in Devil May Cry 4? And finally, the 4th installment in the successful Zero series, Megaman Zero 4 for the GBA? It looks like Capcom is set.

5 Worst Things of E3

5: Revoltion details. Nintendo can rable on and on of what the Revolution is capable of but the thing is, they didn't show anything, at all. No real footage, whatsoever, and the controller? Although it leaves gamers wondering, it just left me dissapointed.

4: Unvealing of Super Mario 128. I've been longing for the true sequel of Mario 64 and where was it? I know, nowhere to be found, hell, not even in viedo format. Hopefully they'll show it and leak some crap before the years end.

3: Square Enix. I've been looking forward to FFXII and no footage. Also, the massive milking of their most popular game. Hell, that tech demo they showed of FFVII should become a real game, cause I'd prefer to play that than spin-offs and fan service such as FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus (which isn't even an RPG) and FFVII: Snowboarding.

2: The Playstation 3 show. I was looking forward to it. I mean, I'm eventually going to buy all the consoles and when I saw the footage I was amazed. Hell, it made me want the system even more despite the batarang controller, but then to find out that Sony just lied to eveeryone? I will get the console regardless, but I for one don't like being lied to. Sony has always had a knack for doing so but they should seriously stop with the bullcrap.

1: Xbox 360 conference. Just watch it and see if you can disagree with me.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: You're still expecting that thing? That project was shut down a long time ago after they ran out of funding.

Apparanlty the Phantom is still very much [url=http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=8763]alive[/url]

Posted by Speedfreak

Good

All the new DS games.
The few Revolution details we actually got.
Perfect Dark Zero.

Bad

Sony's bullshit.
Sony's bullshit.
Sony's bullshit.

Boomstick: what

Posted by TendoAddict

Good
------
Revolutions backwards capatability
LOZ:TW
A couple of interesting Ds games
Gears of war (looked really pritty)

Bad
----
Mario whoreing yet no talk about mario platform
Lack of revolution info

and

the george forman grill that they pass off as a ps3

Ps3
----

Forman grill
--------

Posted by Bebop

Snowboard Kids DS! I knew it had been announced but as far as re-vamped I had no clue! I have VERY fond memories of this game but only rented it. It's basically Mario Kart but on Snowboards. It really isa great game and a definete pickup for me.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: Boomstick: what

You derepped me for derepping your brother about Reggie and I was saying I'm a rep whore now.

It's a joke, much like the rep system itself.