Proposed renovation of community board:

Posted by Klarth

Right, with the deletion of the intro board (or rather, its merging with the CB), things are going to become a bit cluttered and newbies won't really know where to go if they want to get to know a few people - face it, if I was new to a forum, I wouldn't scour the index for a "community board". My proposed changes:

- Change the community board's name to something a bit more new member-friendly.
- Give it an intro board subforum, with a name along the lines of "Newbie Lounge".
- Make the member awards forum invisible, but make it accessible through the forum jump.
- Make a link to the intro board subforum visible on the main page.

Any disputes?

Posted by sabre

Just destroy the MAs. They didn't work out, not enough interest.

Put a forum description underneath Community Board. "Meeting and discussion of the VGC community," or something to the effect.

Posted by The Judge

Possibly make an all-purpose introduction thread and sticky it?

Posted by Ex-Linkman

I've suggested this a while back, probably a couple of years ago. I guess it wont hurt to suggest it again. What VGC really needs is a homepage. Nothing overly fancy, just something to give new people a general idea of what goes on here, possibly list the rules, and point them to places they should visit first. If Jesse was good enough, which I doubt, he could integrate it with the forum so the mods/super mods could still update the rules. BUT, I don't think Jesse knows much past HTML. The upside to this on Jesse's behalf; he can flood the free space with as many adds as possible.

Posted by sabre

That sounds pretty cool. It'd be good if announcements from the main boards would show up. Something like...

[Global Announcement] Posted by: Sabredog
announcement text here
date: december 25th '05

[Off Topic] Posted by: The Judge
announcement text here
date: september 1st 05

or whatever.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting Linkman: What VGC really needs is a homepage.

Yah, sure. I once made a post about a hack that was closer to that and you all cried about change. Liberals don't like change, and all of you kids are messed up liberals. :(

Posted by sabre

Conservatives are the ones promoting old-fashioned values.

Either way, the -hack- was made poorly. Not that we wouldn't want a homepage, just not the one which was provided by the hack.

Posted by The Judge

I am up for the homepage idea.

Posted by Hyper

Jesse, I could make one for you some time if you gave me the motivation :cool:

Posted by Jesse Smith

er I'm not even motivated!!! heck, I havn't even got the rest of the Time spent in forms hack up, ie having a leaderboard up in the members area. psst, make that money hack that uses the hack!

Heck, you could even have a back-link to your boards on that page. Post the hack on vBulletin.org and require the link and you could probably get more visitors to your boards.

http://forums.reality-check.ca/timewasters.php
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60488

Posted by The Judge

Why...don't you ever take action without complaining for a few weeks beforehand and giving lame excuses?

Posted by Klarth

how 'bout at least moving the whole OT section to the top of the index?

Posted by The Judge

hm......but then wouldn't that change the main focus of the page?

Posted by Klarth

So, then, Jesse, how about taking this into consideration?

Posted by Crono

Quoting Majesty: - Give it an intro board subforum, with a name along the lines of "Newbie Lounge".
- Make a link to the intro board subforum visible on the main page.

Out of curiosity....if we're doing these two things, then what was the point of deleting the intro board in the first place?

Posted by sabre

Majesty never voted for removing the intro board.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Never listen to Majesty!!

Posted by Raptor

I think the Community Board should be listed on the top of the page, under "Message Board stuff." That seems much more logical, since the Intro board was deleted and the Community Board is a recommended place for newbies to start by introducing themselves.