Revolution Conspiracy?

Posted by Hyper

[quote]
The Nintendo Revolution is supposed to be 2-3 times as powerful as the GameCube. Does anything seem fishy to you people? Even if IBM and ATi contributed their lower end, bottom of the barrel processors and graphics chips, it would still be more powerful than three times the Gamecube.
I mean, theoretically, even if IBM used their slowest clocked G5 processor in the Revolution (1.6 Ghz G5 currently being phased out of the Powermacs), it would still run circles aroun the G3-based Gecko processor in the Gamecube. And it would be a massacre. Maybe 5 or six times faster. That's just the processor. Let's also theoretically imagine that ATi used their lowest powered graphics solution for the Rev (I'm saying this just for the sake of making a point). Their lowest end part would still be way more powerful than the Flipper in the GC.

It's silly to think that IBM and ATi would use lower performing parts for a partner that has sold 10 million + units for them the past generation. If for any reason, the use of old technology is nullified because of the fact that old technology is often more expensive than the newer ones. As newer silicon is taped out, it becomes cheaper to produce something with a smaller nanometer process than an older, larger nanometer process. This is true of most x86 processor manufactureres today as they are going from 90nm to 65nm, which helps them create more chips per wafer, therefore more profit per wafer.

Now, we know Nintendo isn't stupid. They don't partner with companies that arguably make the best CPUs and GPUs in the business in order to put their lowest performing parts in their "most ambitious console ever." A company partners with another company because it provides it the edge to compete with others. In this case, IBM and ATi showed Nintendo the most promise and so they partnered with them again. They MUST be hard at work creating something amazingly advanced for Nintendo's next system or else Nintendo would have found other partners.

There is all this talk about the system being underpowered compared to the other two consoles. Two to three times the Gamecube? Why does that sound hard to believe? Oh, yes, because it simply can't be true considering Nintendo's partners. If IBM was able to create a TRIPLE CORE 3.2 Ghz processor for Microsoft, I'm sure they would have something similar ready for Nintendo's system.

Okay, here is where it get's weird. If all of this two to three times more powerful business is false like I claim, then why was it said in the first place? In a word, misinformation. Nintendo has fabricated a complex web of lies to underwhelm expo-goers expectations coming into tomorrow, hoping to blow them all away when they finally reveal the truth. Read this here

This makes a lot of sense. It would also mean that Nintendo, IGN, Brooke, and Aries are somehow in cahoots with eachother and have planned this all along.

The Nintendo-IGN connection makes perfect sense too. Gamespy, which IGN owns, is working on the online aspect for DS and possibly Revolution. IGN is a respected and well known journalistic site. They really know more than you think thanks to this Nintendo-IGN connection. For example, didn't Matt say he couldn't wait to see Link turn into a wolf in a recent mailbag? Sure, it has been speculated, but he said it as if he had insider information. It turns out he did. He knew all about Link's transformation and today's trailer finally confirmed it.

Now, the Nintendo ON video. This video is way too professional to have been created by a single fan who was "angry at the state of video gaming today." Most likely, it was a video created by Nintendo to spread more disinformation. Or maybe it really is the Revolution. Strangely, this mock up, showed up on IGN's main site, where millions of people were able to freely see it. Have you ever seen a mock up or anything unofficial being posted on an IGN site? I didn't think so. Nintendo released the video and then told IGN to discount it while simulataneously disseminate it, which they promptly did.

Onto this Aries guy. From what he has said, he seemed to be confident. Now we know that he has been credible so far. He said something on April 26th. I have quoted it here.

"In my next post I will

Posted by brownoystercult

wtf?

Posted by Hyper

Did you even read it all?

yeah, basically all of ninty's conf. was a joke.

Posted by Golden Archer

If this is true, WOW. where did you find this news.

Posted by Hyper

Are you saying that in an insulting manner or are you agreeing with the quote I posted?

GoldenArcher, I found it at another forum.

im confuzzled :(

Posted by Hyper

Basically, that quote states that the Revolution prototype Nintendo showed at the conference might not be the real thing; In fact, Nintendo could be playing us right now.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

They probably are. Meh.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Say you've got the most revolutionary new technology for your console like, say, analog sticks or force-feedback. If there's still lots of time before the consoles of your competitors are released, what will happen if you show off your technology? Stuff like Sega's Nights into Dreams with analog controller on the Saturn, and sony's illegal bootleg dual shock controller. Nintendo's not fooling anyone. They're just keeping their secrets secure.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I already posted something like this :(

Anyways, it's incredibly interesting. What with the whole IGN and Aries thing, and quite odd how Aries was correct almost every single time and how Nintendo said they would have suprise for us today which is also what Aries said and how Aries has even quoted Nintendo two weeks before they even said it... I just don't see it happening. I want to so bad, but I doubt we will get a suprise like we're hoping for.

*Keeping his expectations low so he won't be disappointed*

Posted by Speedfreak

NIntendo are downplaying the horsepower of their machine LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO. Back in the times of the Dolphin they claimed it was only 33% more powerful than PS2, but it's actually much more than that. They didn't say much about the power of the DS last E3 either. My estimate: It'll have the same specs as a high-end PC this generation, and will be capable of better graphics due to consoles efficiency. So that's better than Half Life 2, at least.

Wait, isn't today the 20th?

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, nothing happened on the 19th, but I wouldn't be surprised if everything were revealed in the next few weeks/spaceworld.

Posted by nich

wow. nintendo is incredibly sneaky. Its probably true! That press conference was so unprofessionally done that it made me wonder but i didnt suspect anything, I figured why would they hide anything but that article makes lot of sense its not possible to be 2x-3x more powerful. what do they have up their sleeves?

Posted by Golden Archer

I never realized them to be the sneaky type, but who knows, Nintendo always "wows" us.

Posted by Speedfreak

Nintendo have done viral marketing campains before, but they've never done anything like this. Intentionally make a joke of their own conference, and the more I think about it the more I think it /is/ a joke. It's incredibly strange that Nintendo would even bother to release 1 detail about revolution and a general concept of what it will look like alone. It's such a small and insignificant amount of imformation it's as if Nintendo quite intentionally have left us wanting more.

Posted by buddha

these are all interesting points but im only worried about 1 thing.If the revolution is really 3 dvd cases high,then i find it hard to believe it could fit the proper technology to rival its competitors.then again this was said about the gamecube too so i guess ill have faith.

Posted by Morag2

Wow... just wow... give me a minute to collect my thoughts....

So we've been... as it was put "punk'd"... interesting.... this is SOOOO cool.... I wonder what Nintendo really has up their deep and intricately patterned sleeves. You say 5-6 times as powerful at the least? This is good... this is very good.

Posted by powerpuff

Sony said the PS2 is 35 times better right? So does that mean that its on par with gamecube now?

Come on Space World.

By the way:

Quoted post: Revolution details due by year's end
Nintendo president says price, release date, and controller will be revealed; company in negotiations for third-party downloadable retro games for Revolution.

At its pre-E3 press conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed the first scant details on the Revolution, the company's bid into next-generation gaming. We now know about the system's backward compatibility, built-in Wi-Fi, wireless controllers, and free online service, but little else. Iwata avoided giving out any significant technical specs on the Revolution, and he showed only a nonfunctional mock-up of the console.

Fortunately, it looks like Nintendo fans won't have to wait until next year to learn more about the machine. Speaking with Reuters, Iwata said that details regarding the Revolution--including price, launch date, and its mystery controller--would be revealed by the end of the current year.

One of the surprising announcements made about the Revolution during E3 was its ability to download and play games from Nintendo consoles as far back as the NES. More surprising was that Iwata revealed to Reuters that Nintendo is in talks with third-party game publishers about including their portfolios in the Revolution's downloadable game library as well.

Iwata added that the pricing method for these downloads hasn't been decided, though there are two possibilities: to charge users per game as they download them or to sell prepaid cards in stores. He also said that Nintendo might give some games away as part of promotions.

Posted by Boner

I think this just makes things more interesting. Now we REALLY don't know what to expect. :devil:

Posted by Morag2

Quoting powerpuff: Sony said the PS2 is 35 times faster right? So does that mean that its on par with gamecube now?

Lol, that was funny. Hehe. As to the downloadable game thing, I hope they do lots of promotions... promotions are good. Did anyone else get the three free Nintendo Power issues? I got an email about it and voila, 3 free issues on the way.

Posted by helpimstuckinabox

I like the "faking us out" idea. How the hell do you fit
A processor
A video card
A motherboard
A disc drive
And other random electronic components into 3 dvd cases?
And what the hell is up with
The crappy Metriod Prime 3 video?
And the unreleased controller design?
And the Revolution's logo?
And the "Gaming for Everybody" campaign or whatever it is?
And the GB Micro?
And your mom? jk
But seriously, what's up with the GB Micro, nobody makes a 3rd generation for a 4 year old handheld.

Quoted post: nobody makes a 3rd generation for a 4 year old handheld.

There's basically only been TWO Gameboys. The original, and the Advanced. The rest are just upgrades or variations.

Posted by Pit

Yeah, the Gameboy Color was nothing grand, and there were 3 Gameboys. Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, and one with like a light (first real backlit gameboy). And Gameboy Color wasn't really anything special.

Quoted post: Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, and one with like a light (first real backlit gameboy)

There was the original huge one, the smaller version, then pocket, then colour. Then Advanced, SP, and now Micro.

Wait, backlit Gameboy?

Posted by Pit

Or frontlit, either way, first real "lit" gameboy. Never hit the states can could only bought in places where people imported them.

no no no no no no.
I meant why the hell make another Game Boy advance

Perhaps 3rd "generation" is where i went wrong.

Posted by Pit

Quoting helpimstuckinabox: no no no no no no.
I meant why the hell make another Game Boy advance

"But seriously, what's up with the GB Micro, nobody makes a 3rd generation for a 4 year old handheld."

And we proved you wrong, cause Nintendo did it before.

And to answer that question, why not? The GBA line has sold over 28million copies. Micro is only gonna boost it up more millions and is expected to sell over 500,000 in it's first week alone.

Every time a new GB comes out, I get it, and so do most people, even if it is a variation of something old.

Hell, the word "GameBoy" on a handheld itself is a selling point.

Quoted post: Every time a new GB comes out, I get it, and so do most people, even if it is a variation of something old.

Same. Plus, the Micro is one sexy little machine. Can't miss this one.

[Little kid voice]Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh I guess so.[/Little kid voice]

I wonder if it has a headphone jack

Posted by Pit

Quoting helpimstuckinabox: [Little kid voice]Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh I guess so.[/Little kid voice]

I wonder if it has a headphone jack

Yes, yes it does.

......Genius

Quoting helpimstuckinabox: ......Genius

There's nothing genius about it. It's something that should just be there.

haha, of course it's something that should be there. I was poking fun at the fact that SP didn't have one.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting helpimstuckinabox: haha, of course it's something that should be there. I was poking fun at the fact that SP didn't have one.

It did, its just you needed an adapter or special headphones, which I have a pair of :) But no matching SP :(

Posted by Pit

Quoting Hyper: It did, its just you needed an adapter or special headphones,

If you have to buy certain earphones or a special adapter then that means that the SP didn't come with it.

Posted by Burrito

[Quote=http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p2.html] Q: Is Revolution "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube"?

A: USA Today reported this news based on a comment from Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan. The information was later determined to be false. We do not yet know how much more power Revolution wields over its predecessor.

Just read it on IGN, so it seems to not be true after all. I'm kind of relieved.

[Quote=Morag2] Did anyone else get the three free Nintendo Power issues? I got an email about it and voila, 3 free issues on the way.

After reading that I went straight to my inbox. I'm getting the 3 free issues now. I stopped reading Nintendo Power a while ago, but it's free. How could you pass that up?

Posted by Hyper

So I'm Powerpuff? Sweet.

Posted by luigifreak01

i'm not really sure what this all means, but the guy in the second post.... creepy.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting luigifreak01: i'm not really sure what this all means.

It means that nintendo was been playing with us this whole time. Cleaverly using ign as a partner inorder to keep this a secreat. And posting unnoficial vidoes on the site too.They probably teamed up with G4 just to stop them from blowing the secreat away. Its too much of a coincidence to let it go. Either nintendo is planning some thing bigger then the industry has seen or Im a monkeys uncle.

Posted by luigifreak01

so is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Quoted post: so is this a good thing or a bad thing?

It COULD be a good thing. For us anyways. It means we are getting someone better than what we've been given... potentially.

Anyways, whatever we see at the end of the year will have nothing to di with this "conspiracy". Any changes or modifications we sell (if any) will be because they have seen the competition, and know what they are up against.

Posted by TendoAddict

Wellllllllllllllllll...

If your a fan of nintendo (which I can judge because of luigi in your name) then I guess this is good. But I dont know how much this is going to affect the other companies. I guess I dont know if its real. But if it is, nintendo might just win back the industry.

Posted by nich

I don't know if nintendo will win back the industry, they might but i don't think so. I own a PS2 and a gamecube and I like nintendo and I would really like to see them lose their "kiddish" image, but all the people who strongly dislike nintendo will not change their minds about it. There are alot of people who feel this way, the second I tell anyone I own a Gamecube it's "gamecube's gay" or "nintendo sucks"

Posted by Speedfreak

People said Nintendo were the best right before Sony came around, and people said Mac was the best before Microsoft made Windows. Opinions change very fast.

Posted by luigifreak01

([QUOTE=nich]I like nintendo and I would really like to see them lose their "kiddish" image)

i agree with nich, say i like the gta games, but nintendo is directed at kids so it won't release a gta game, thier two most violent games are killer 7 and resident evil 4, but then again, most video gamers are kids, but they could lighten up quite a bit

Quoting luigifreak01: ([QUOTE=nich]I like nintendo and I would really like to see them lose their "kiddish" image)

Your user title "i'm not a flippin newbie" kinda contradicts itself.

But the whole trick Ninty is playing is kinda odd. Pretty cool I guess. Oh Reggie..
Seriously though, let Nintendo take time on their Revolution project, LOZ: Twilight Princess is gunna be released!

Quoted post: I would really like to see them lose their "kiddish" image

Whatever kiddy image they have will never go away. With that, most of their key playes will be gone to. I don't wwant to see that happen.

Posted by Big Boss

As cool and interesting as that theory is, I've seen Nintendo keep secret a whole lot of nothing and release said nothing in the past, so I'll join Vamp in keeping my hopes down.

Although... I wouldn't mind the whole wolf furry faggy fruity bit in Twilight Princess to be a joke.

Posted by Speedfreak

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with it if I never met Raptor. Or heard of furries.

Posted by nich

When I said "kiddish" I didn't mean I thouht they were kiddish, I meant the main argument by many is "nintendo is for little kids" or something along those lines. If people could get past the bright colours and lack of blood they'd maybe realize the games are fun.

Quoted post: If people could get past the bright colours and lack of blood they'd maybe realize the games are fun.

Nintendo still has plenty of games that feature dark tones and blood. But I know what you mean.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Big Boss]