Best Console System Ever?

Posted by Morag2

Which console is the best ever? I haven't owned gaming systems for very long so I will likely forget something... if it's not on my list then just pick other and post your favorite.

Posted by Chronic

I dont know its pretty close between X-box and PS2 for me. I guess Ill go with PS2 because of the great games it has. But the X-box does have better graphics. So I change my answer to both X-box and PS2. :)

Posted by Boner

I would have voted if Virtual Boy had been on the list.

Posted by Raptor

Moved to General Gaming. Super Nintendo gets my vote, for its vast library of excellent games, long life span, and eventual ownership of the Sega Genesis.

Posted by Boner

Quoting Morag2 agrees:: I wasn't considering portables as consoles.

Actually, those things weren't that portable. It had to remain stationary while playing it. (ie. on a table or something) Sure, it was somewaht less bulky than other systems of it's time, but not all that much more portable.

Posted by coromoro

Super Nintendo. Greatest games. :cool:

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Either Intellivision for its great games, or the PS2, for backwards compatibility and excellent rpg's.

Posted by Corrupt

For me, it'd be a tie between SNES and N64. I just can't choose between the two.

Posted by maian

Quoting Corrupt: For me, it'd be a tie between SNES and N64. I just can't choose between the two.

My thoughts exactly.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

My vote either goes to the 5200 or the SNES.

Posted by crimsoncinder

PS2 or NES

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

Hard to choose between the SNES and the PS1, but Ill go for the SNES, just because its the one system that I play the most. And also because of the RPGs

Posted by Dexter

NES. I still play it more than any other system.

Posted by Last Fog

I can't decide!!

It's a toss-up between SNES and PS2.

Posted by bazariah

my all time fave is the nes. such a wide and varied selection of fantastic titles is available for that litlle grey shoe box :D

my second fave console is the snes
followed by ps1, gamecube and megadrive.... in that order

Posted by Axis

SNES, hands down.

Posted by ButtonPushingQueen

SNES!!!!!
I think the older more replayable.

Posted by Golden Archer

Snes, It is truly one of the best video game starters.

Posted by Black_Wolf

For overall best system I would have to go with the PSone for several reasons.

1) Made Nintendo work ALOT harder. With the appearance and the quality of Sony's system, Nintendo just couldn't sit back and let games flow from its systems. It actually had to deal with competition. And overall, the competition between the consoles has benefitted all gamers, b/c we're seeing alot better titles and more consistently too.

2) Had such a vast library of different types of games. The RPGs were numerous and most of 'em rocked. The PSone was the mother to 3D stealth action w/ Tenchu & MGS. You didn't have to go to the arcade to play 3D fighters anymore. Multiplyr was good.

3) The PSone took gaming from the idea of just kids playing videogames. It opened gaming to alot broader audience.

I love the SNES, prolly my 2nd fav, but the PSone changed a whole lotta things.

Posted by Random

It's close between SNES and the PS. They both had a ton of great titles come out and a lot of great hours of playing. I used to play both of them all the time. So Hard to Choose O_O'

Posted by Barrysun

I beleve most of them are really fun and had good stuff.
N64 had some fun game and had a cool adapter that lets me use my GB games to increase my chances of beatting a game. Pokemon stadium 1 and 2 are such games.
the old systems are really injoyable. I used to own a NES until my brother took it with him and lost it during a flood. I still own my SNES which had some alsome games like FF6 and breath of fire2. both cool RPG. PS1 had many great FF games and I've beaten them all. I used to own a PS2 until some kids knocked it down and broke it. I missed playing my dark cloud games.
the gamecube has many great games and the GB player is really usefull when I needed to save batteries.
I don't own an X-Box so no comments on that system.

Posted by Zeratul

i choose NES beacuse thats when my favorite game (Zelda) was introduced :big_bird:

Posted by Legend Saber

Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

There is no equal.

Posted by Tinkleheimer

SNES > NES

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]The PS2 and SNES both have great robust libraries of AAA games unquestionably making them the best of the bunch. Lately though the PS2 has outdone the SNES just by a bit based on the amount of great titles still coming out so close to the end of the console's life-cycle.[/COLOR]

Posted by Pit

Quoting Krios: i choose NES beacuse thats when my favorite game (Zelda) was introduced :big_bird:

You were born on 88'. How much 'old school' Zelda could you have possibly played. Hell, it isn't even in your era of gaming, dick.

Posted by Ch

Quoting Last Fog: I can't decide!!

It's a toss-up between SNES and PS2.

I also think the greatest console IMO is one of those two. But add in the N64 too! They all had their fair share of games that made their mark on me. Donkey Kong 1,2,&3, GTA series, and Ocarina of Time.

Posted by Crazy K

I choose all of them. I really do like all systems equally.

but Ill list my favorites from best to least best.

1. NES
2. SNES
3. PS2
4. Sega Genesis
5. PS1
6. N64
7. Gamecube
8. Xbox
9. Sega Saturn
10. Sega Dreamcast
11. Other

If I had to choose the best system ever, it would be the NES for me. I really enjoyed playing it all my life, all I need to do is just get my NES to work. :(

Posted by Sapphire Rose

A dead tie between the Dreamcast, the X-Box, and the SNES.
Nothing else even comes close. (though, I DO like all systems)

Posted by JMT

Really close between N64 and SNES, I grew up with them and they still have the best games, ever.

Posted by Big Boss

In chronological order...

SNES

Unlike most people, the RPG genre didn't do it for me back in the 16-bit era. RPGs were boring as hell back then, with only Super Mario RPG being the only game in the category that didn't put me to sleep (Yes, including Chrono Trigger). For me, the reason the SNES is such a legendary console is because of its wealth of fighting games. The system came at a time when the heart-pumping, manly, fun-filled, skill-required fighting genre was the king of the industry. We were yet to be exposed with taking care of farms and getting virtually married, petting puppies with a stick, training cute little animals to fight for us, or decorating our virtual house. Fighting games were a man's games, and we saw plenty of it on the SNES thanks to its immense popularity in the arcades: Street Fighter II: Turbo, Mortal Kombat II, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, TMNT Tournament Fighters, Killer Instinct... there was just so much to choose from, and I happily let it engulf me. It was surely the golden age of fighting games.

The system also had it share of fun beat-'em-ups, like the Final Fight series, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage and Captain Commando, a now moribund genre with only Capcom keeping it alive (Final Fight: Streetwise). Super Mario World, the Mega Man X games, and some other kickass platfromers like X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse made the system a classic.

PlayStation

This little bundle of joy brought so much happiness and entertainment in my life, and it has done so much for the industry, you can't really have a discussion about the best systems ever without honoring Sony's entry machine in the market. 2D fighting games continued to be made, with the biggest highlight being Street Fighter Alpha 3. At the same time, the Tekken series was born, and with it came Soul Blade, all released for the PS after enjoying success in the arcades. But this time around, it wasn't the fighting genre that dominated the system, oh no... Square brought FFVII into our homes, and suddenly the RPG genre evolved from simple, uninspired gameplay, to masterpieces that had truly deep, engaging gameplay with interesting characters and an incredibly moving story. FFVIII soon followed, improving upon the formula, and games like Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and Suikoden explored the genre in their own ways, creating vastly different, but equally enjoyable experiences.

But nothing could've prepared me for what was to come. A game I hardly heard any info on, a game I wasn't expecting nor looking forward to... blew my mind away. Metal Gear Solid redefined what gaming was all about. It placed the fun of playing games, the great story RPGs could deliver, added a dose of humor, Easter eggs, and went through the Kojima touch to create its own genre. MGS is not stealth... it's not action... it's simply freakin' MGS. It's in a genre all its own, and it made owning a PlayStation a basic necessity. PS was also blessed with odd titles like Fear Effect, Bushido Blade 2 and Persona 2, and let's not forget now popular franchises like Resident Evil and Silent Hill. There was truly something for every one, and it showed that a hardware maker need not be a games maker to create a kick *** console with excellent, AAA games. Then again...

PlayStation 2

The PS2 launched, and SSX was a small taste of the next-gen games we'd be able to play with Sony's new console. What the hell, let's just name them: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Final Fantasy X, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 3, Onimusha: Warlords, Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny, Onimusha 3: Demo Siege, Virtua Fighter 4, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken 5, Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga, Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner, and Katamary Damacy... to name a few. Sony SCEI didn't need to make games... third-party titles were selling the system... but what the heck, they (thankfully) gave it a serious shot this time. Sony partnered up with (and in some cases, created) developers like Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Level 5 and Polyphony Digital to build Sony's own franchises, creating some of the most wildly acclaimed games of this generation, such as the Jak, Ratchet, Dark Cloud and Gran Turismo series (A-Spec beat GT1 and 2 horribly). SCEI also expanded its own development studios, and from them came ICO, believed to be an innovative "cult classic," *** of War, considered to be one of the best games ever, and will now see a release of one of then most highly anticipated games of the year, Shadow of the Colossus, with Genji not too far behind. With FFXII, Kingdom Hearts II, and Dragon Quest VIII in the horizon as well, the PS2 still has more quality titles to dish out before we move on to the next generation... and it sure looks to become the undisputed best gaming console.

Quoting Vampiro: NES is a specific console. Not the actual company (which is simply called... Nintendo). NES would stand for "Nintendo Entertainment System". Maybe you're thinking of, I don't know, NOA? Probably not, but it makes more sense.

Back in my day, we used to call the NES simply "Nintendo." It got confusing when new Nintendo systems came out, though. :(

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

SNES all the way,it doesn't even need an explanation,SNES is SNES nothing can beat that.

Posted by Anti-Guy

Super. Nintendo.

'Nuff said.

Posted by Outlaw

Snes

Posted by -Shadow-

NES is the best.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Super Nintendo. I simply love it. Its what got me into gaming. Playing Megaman X games, Spiderman & Venom : Maximum Carnage, Seperation Anxiety (Unproper spelling). Those are only a few I can remember.

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

Yup, SNES is the G0d of consoles, it's truly a piece of work, developers really did put hrart and soul into it. A perfect example of Nintendo's quality legacy.

Posted by Random

He doesn't have the Genesis.. WTF Mate?

This has been edited to co exist with nightmares rep upage.

Fire Ze Missiles.. But i'm Le Tired.. Ok take a Nap and then Fire Ze Missiles..

Russia is like "Ahh Motherland."

lol sry..

Posted by SimplyDark

I think it was the N64, because when it came out, it introduced a lot of new gameplay things, like Mario 3d, which was the first "real" 3d game.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I think it was the N64, because when it came out, it introduced a lot of new gameplay things, like Mario 3d, which was the first "real" 3d game.

Not to argue your opinion... but just because something introduces anew way of playing games, doesn't necessarily mean it's the best.

Posted by LagunasSweetling

I think that SNES had the biggest variety, and the greatest graphics for its time. A few of its better games even have graphics that could put up a GREAT fight against PS1. I loved SNES.... Heck.. I STILL love SNES...

Posted by Random

In all honestly I think it depends on when you were born and what you grew up playing. I'm 18 years old and I've owned basically every home console with the exceptions of dead ones like the Atari Tiger and consoles like that. I grew up and I loved the NES and SNES. But what about someone who's 14? They wouldn't have played as much of the older gaming as I. They probably would have started out with the PS, the N64, and the Dreamcast. And someone who is.. 8 might not have even played those but might be playing a Gamecube, PS2, or Xbox.

So individual Oppinions could be different due to age as well.

But I Finally Decided. My favorite Console is the Genesis.. I used to spend so much time playing it.. Great Console with a lot of Great Games.

Posted by thelaststand

i like them all, but regular nintendo was fun i mean duck hunt and zelda :)

Posted by blue123

atari 2600 will always have a special place in my heart, yea the graphics were not great, the joysticks never held up to my frenzy and always broke, but it will still be my sentimental favorite

Posted by BigB78

The SNES ofcourse.

Posted by Skitzo Control

The SNES, by far. The largest library of (good) games, innovations galore, and so forth. Obviously, it's the greatest of all time.:)

Posted by Demonizer

The SNES is is my Favorite

Posted by KMFDM

i would have to say the DreamCast is the best it was a system before its time and the first one to have online play, and i liked the games