Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 looks...GREAT!

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]The ****-near impossible was achieved, [URL=http://ps2.ign.com/articles/614/614671p1.html]Gamecube's best looking game has translated to the PS2 beautifully.[/URL] Nay-sayers and Nintendo fanboyss be warned, the linked article may be too much to bare. After all you did waste much of your precious breath bashing this game and how ugly it would look.

Now that the graphics debate has been settled, let's talk about the extra material only available on the PS2 version. Most notably seen in the trailer are cut-scenes not seen in the original version, which lead me to believe that this game will clear up major plot holes by focusing the story on Ada, Luiz and maybe even Wesker.

Very exciting news for both Resident Evil and PS2 fans.[/COLOR]

Posted by Fate

But everybody already played it. :(

I'll rent for the cutscenes.

Posted by boomstick

Oh, wow, as long as there's no lag issues, the PS2 version will be easily on par with it's GCN counterpart.

Posted by lil tony

so true

Posted by Speedfreak

Um, you must be blind. It's quite clearly worse. Jaggies all over the place, bland textures, lower polygon counts on some scenery. It doesn't match it at all, though I must admit they did do a good job of making it look like the same game art-wise. At a passing glance you'd think it were the same.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: Um, you must be blind. It's quite clearly worse. Jaggies all over the place, bland textures, lower polygon counts on some scenery. It doesn't match it at all, though I must admit they did do a good job of making it look like the same game art-wise. At a passing glance you'd think it were the same.

Bah, no one said it wasn't noticable, on par doesn't mean it can stand toe to toe in my book.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Speedfreak: Um, you must be blind. It's quite clearly worse. Jaggies all over the place, bland textures, lower polygon counts on some scenery. It doesn't match it at all, though I must admit they did do a good job of making it look like the same game art-wise. At a passing glance you'd think it were the same.

[COLOR=Yellow]*Sigh*

Here we go with the negatives.

No Speedfreak, i'm not blind, i only wear contacts. I didn't say it was equal or better, i said the game looked great taking into consideration that RE4 is the best looking game on the Gamecube and also based on people's expectations.[/COLOR]

Posted by Speedfreak

Okay, what the fuck? You quite clearly made out in your post like the differences graphic wise between the PS2 and GC versions were negligible, otherwise you wouldn't have said "[url="http://ps2.ign.com/articles/614/614671p1.html"]Gamecube's best looking game has translated to the PS2 beautifully.[/url] Nay-sayers and Nintendo fanboyss be warned, the linked article may be too much to bare. After all you did waste much of your precious breath bashing this game and how ugly it would look."

And THEN you said "Now that the graphics debate has been settled".

This also reinforces the statement before, what the hell was I supposed to think?

I got the idea that you thought the games looked almost identical, and to be quite honest I don't think that's an illogical conclusion from your post. It's not like I said it looked like crap either, on the contrary, it's **** good for PS2.

Posted by Ant

Wowzerz, the graphics are very ****ty on the ps2 version. :) Hopefully there aren't too many extras...that will just make me feel sad.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR=Yellow]Gamecube's best looking game has translated to the PS2 beautifully.[/COLOR]
Um, no.

Those shots look sub-par comapred to the gamecube version. Granted, it is a good looking game, but looking at those shots I can't help but think how much better the gamecube version looks.

See for yourself:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/lastfog/re4compare.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

So...so grainy! YUCK!

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I'm impressed. We are talking about the PS2 after all. Obviously it won't look as good, but they tried there best and did a **** good job. It should statisfy PS2 owners. But it by no means should upset any GC owners. Espcially when it comes to graphics anyways.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]A lot of you need to realize that some people can't afford to buy every single system on the market, or simply refuse to pay 150$ for a game console for only 1 game. This is great news for PS2 only owners, and for me, of course (i love Resident Evil) :D.

Speedfreak, about the last sentence you quoted me on. I said the graphics debate is over because before this trailer came out, the argument by most people was that it would look really, really bad. Mainly that the polygon count difference was going to be unbearable, along with loading times, and framerate. Now that the footage is out, we can see that it doesn't look as bad as expected, it looks much better(than expected).

Last Fog, i don't know if you've seen the trailer, but there were scenes during gameplay, that i could've sworn it was the Gamecube version.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Jesus Christ! Those screenshots gave me diarrohea!

Posted by Random

I somehow get the feeling they'll add extra's in for the PS2 version. I'm sure they'll do something with the PS2 version to make it sell. Of course a lot of people have PS2's but not Gamecubes so i'm sure it'll still sell. For some reason many people buy PS2's... O_o

Posted by Big Boss

Yeah, I was impressed with the E3 footage of RE4 for the PS2. It's funny how it takes about 5 years to show the true potential of a console. Other than Konami with MGS2, it wasn't until Sony's Gran Turismo 4 and *** of War where the console's true power showed. Same goes for the GCN with Resident Evil 4 (duh!) and Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Big Boss]. Similar to what we are hearing now about Killzone 2.

Just a thought that ran through my mind.[/COLOR]

Quoted post: Similar to what we are hearing now about Killzone.

Except that was proven to be CG. There's a difference. Though, of course, by this time next-gen, it could be very possible. Killzone 3 perhaps?

Posted by Bebop

MGS2 has awful graphics :) Resi 4 may bring out the PS2's potential but MGS2 sure didn't.

Oh, and Paul. On the Killzone 2 topic. Sony promised real time graphics with the PS2. If they didn't deliver then than don't expect them to deliver now.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Bebop: MGS2 has awful graphics :)

By today's standards maybe, but back in 2002, those were damn good, espically for the PS2.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting boomstick: By today's standards maybe, but back in 2002, those were damn good, espically for the PS2.

Even then I thought they weren't as special as people made out. es they were nice, but all those bland textures never appealed to me.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Bebop: Even then I thought they weren't as special as people made out. es they were nice, but all those bland textures never appealed to me.

Point still stands, though.

I saw a trailer for the PS2 version of RE4 on Cinematech and I was very impressed, it was obviously not the GCN version, textures and grainy graphics, but it looked a hellva alot better than what alot of people were excepting, me included.

Those screens don't do full justice to the in motion trailer.

Posted by Pit

Holy gee wiz loading time batman!!

Although it's been tranlated, it looks grainy, colors are off, and I can only imagine the loading time.

Posted by Bebop

Seems to play very well from the footage I've seen but I'll still wai to see it on a televison set to come to a conclusion.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting boomstick: Point still stands, though.

I saw a trailer for the PS2 version of RE4 on Cinematech and I was very impressed, it was obviously not the GCN version, textures and grainy graphics, but it looked a hellva alot better than what alot of people were excepting, me included.

Those screens don't do full justice to the in motion trailer.

[COLOR=Yellow]Ya, i know for a fact that most of the negative comments are coming from people who haven't even seen the trailer in action. They're judging based on the picture submitted by Last Fog, which is not fair.[/COLOR]

Posted by Draxamus

First let me say that I own all three of the major consoles now, and I do not support one over the others. I am however angered by Capcom's decision to include all sorts of extras in the PS2 release of the game. I paid 50 dollars for the GameCube version; I should get the same experience as someone playing it on the PS2. I don't consider the downgraded graphics a fair tradeoff for all the extra material I hear is going to be added. Capcom is ripping me off.

Posted by Speedfreak

MGS2 looks a lot better from a distance than it does up close, and considering the PS2 was the first of this generation we didn't really know what to expect. We've seen Killzone 2 side by side with games like Gears of War, though, so we can plainly see that PS3 is capable of it because Xbox 360 is too.

Posted by Random

Quoting Draxamus: First let me say that I own all three of the major consoles now, and I do not support one over the others. I am however angered by Capcom's decision to include all sorts of extras in the PS2 release of the game. I paid 50 dollars for the GameCube version; I should get the same experience as someone playing it on the PS2. I don't consider the downgraded graphics a fair tradeoff for all the extra material I hear is going to be added. Capcom is ripping me off.

Yeah that would indeed suck, but it wouldn't be the first time a company has done that. Tom Clancy is good at that themselves. don't be suprised and you probably would be upset. I would be too.

Posted by G-Sides

Any word on if the PS2 version will also be two disc?

Posted by Jarulara

Simple as this Resident Evil 4 has ****ty graphics on PS2 and not on the Gamecube. Good! But what the hell is diffrent between the two? If nothing then Gamecube rises on top!! It probably would have anyways just by graphics.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: MGS2 looks a lot better from a distance than it does up close, and considering the PS2 was the first of this generation we didn't really know what to expect. We've seen Killzone 2 side by side with games like Gears of War, though, so we can plainly see that PS3 is capable of it because Xbox 360 is too.

So, point still stands.

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Yeah that would indeed suck, but it wouldn't be the first time a company has done that. Tom Clancy is good at that themselves. don't be suprised and you probably would be upset. I would be too.

I guess you mean Ubisoft.

Quoting Soulja Jason: Simple as this Resident Evil 4 has ****ty graphics on PS2 and not on the Gamecube. Good! But what the hell is diffrent between the two? If nothing then Gamecube rises on top!! It probably would have anyways just by graphics.

Seen the in motion trailer? It looks a hellva alot better than alot of people expected and alot better than Nintendo fanboys are willing to admit.

Posted by Jarulara

Well to me you(Aorios or whatever) seem to be a Playstation fanboy. Me I'm not a fanboy of nothing. I just think Resident Evil looks alot better than the worthless **** Playstation pulled. If it was up to me I would tell Capcom to make Resident Evil a Nintendo only game. Since they made the best one ever. Upgraded graphics, gameplay, and of course the ****ing camera.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Soulja Jason: Well to me you(Aorios or whatever) seem to be a Playstation fanboy. Me I'm not a fanboy of nothing. I just think Resident Evil looks alot better than the worthless **** Playstation pulled. If it was up to me I would tell Capcom to make Resident Evil a Nintendo only game. Since they made the best one ever. Upgraded graphics, gameplay, and of course the ****ing camera.

Neither me or Aioros are being PlayStation fanboys, we're just pointing out how the PS2 version looks alot better than what people expected.

It's you, if anybody here is, that's being a fanboy whining and insulting about the PS2 version of RE4, get over it, Capcom's in this business to make money and if they think or know they can make more loads of cash by porting over the GCN to PS2, they will.

I'm just saying I'm impressed with what I've seen thus far.

Posted by Jarulara

Look I've always given PS2 it's credit. I've given it credit for alot of stuff that shouldn't have credit. I'm not whining about the PS2 version some things should be classics and kept that way. I'm just saying RE4 it's not going to be a good. But I will say if PS2 does make it better and not the exact same things then I will say PS2 version is better.

Quoted post: Me I'm not a fanboy of nothing.

Your signature and avatar say otherwise.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Soulja Jason: Well to me you(Aorios or whatever) seem to be a Playstation fanboy. Me I'm not a fanboy of nothing. I just think Resident Evil looks alot better than the worthless **** Playstation pulled. If it was up to me I would tell Capcom to make Resident Evil a Nintendo only game. Since they made the best one ever. Upgraded graphics, gameplay, and of course the ****ing camera.

[COLOR=Yellow]First of all i don't know why you're attacking me personally, i never once called your a fanboy directly. It seems like you are defending yourself against accusations that haven't even been made. I'd take your word that you're not a fanboy, but your sig, avatar, and then how you say that if it was up to you, you'd tell Capcom to make RE a Nintendo exclusive don't help your defense.

And what do you mean on the last 2 sentences? I don't know if you're aware that Capcom made all the RE games.[/COLOR]

Posted by Random

ok so.. I think I realize why it's being Released for the PS2. I don't think it's to P*ss any fans off. It's only sold 1/2 million copies on the Cube as of now. They probably assume that there are more PS2 buyers out there who would purchase this game and they'd make money. 1/2 mill isn't bad but it probably has more potential then that. They may have add ons which those 1/2 million would be upset, but it'd probably sell like hotcakes for the PS2. I don't really care for the PS2 much. Infact other then a few games (Final Fantasy, Metal Gear etc) I don't really like the console at all. It was way overrated. But don't doubt me when I say there probably will be add ons for the Sony version that Nintendo didn't have.

Posted by Jarulara

Quoting Vampiro:
Your signature and avatar say otherwise.

Yeah that's true. But it's just something to have until I feel like looking for something.

Quoting Aioros:
First of all i don't know why you're attacking me personally, i never once called your a fanboy directly. It seems like you are defending yourself against accusations that haven't even been made. I'd take your word that you're not a fanboy, but your sig, avatar, and then how you say that if it was up to you, you'd tell Capcom to make RE a Nintendo exclusive don't help your defense.

And what do you mean on the last 2 sentences? I don't know if you're aware that Capcom made all the RE games.

Yeah I feel you. I was in a bad mood yesterday and felt like yelling at people. Sorry.
I don't hate the PS2 and I'm not a fanboy of Nintendo.
I know that Capcom made all RE games. When I said if it was up to me I would tell Capcom to make Resident Evil a Nintendo only game. I meant make it a Nintendo only game cause it was way better than all the other RE games. Then it got me thinking Nintendo had nothing to do with it. So yeah.