Game Boy Micro

Posted by Boner

[IMG]http://images.cio-today.com/images/id/7165/nintendo_cio.jpg[/IMG]

Quoted post: The original Game Boy Advance fits comfortably into the pocket of a backpack, while the retooled Game Boy Advance SP can fit into a coat pocket.
But the tiny Game Boy Micro system, the smallest Game Boy product that Nintendo has created, can fit into the pocket of your tightest jeans.

Thinner than most mobile phones , the silver Game Boy Micro measures a mere 4 inches wide, 2 inches tall and 0.7 inches deep. It weighs a mere 2.8 ounces, or about the weight of 80 paper clips.

Yet, according to Nintendo, the Game Boy Micro has the same processing power and plays the same games as the Game Boy Advance SP.

A removable face plate gives owners the option to buy replacements to customize the look of their systems. Notably, its 2-inch backlit screen can be adjusted to adapt to indoor lights or outdoor sunshine.

"We're making the gorgeous Game Boy Micro for image-conscious folks who love video games, the ones who want the look of their system to be as cool as the games they play on it," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications.

Game Boy Micro represents the latest evolution in the Game Boy Advance line, but Nintendo is careful to point out that it is not a successor to any current system.

Game Boy Micro will be released this fall. The system will come with a built-in, rechargeable lithium-ion battery and will support standard headphones.

I honestly don't know what to say about this. I have many mixed feelings. First of all, how in the Hell are you supposed to play that thing? It's so tiny! Sure, I play games on my cell phone when I'm bored enough just as much as the next guy does. But, at least I can play that with one hand! I can't imagine trying to fit 2 hands on something that is only 4" wide x 2" tall x 0.7" thin. Am I crazy, or is this just some "filler material" for Nintendo's income? The GBA fits the hands nicely. Then came the GBA SP. Which, was cool looking, but even that things is a ***** to hold comfortably and play. Yet, I still manage. But, this thing is just nuts. I would ask why Nintendo keeps reinventing their own wheel. But, it's quite clear why they do it. Because, there are suckers out there like me who will buy the same basic thing they already have, only with a different look. Yeah, I will probably end up buynig one. But, I'm not happy about it!

Discuss.

Edit: Oh yeah.....[URL=http://www.cio-today.com/news/Nintendo-Intros-Game-Boy-Micro-at-E3/story.xhtml?story_id=1010000241FY]SOURCE![/URL]

Edit again: Here is another picture that gives you a better idea on the actual size of this thing. [IMG]http://a1112.g.akamai.net/7/1112/492/2002091469/www.wired.com/news/images/manual/gameboy_micro_f.jpg[/IMG]

Here is also a [URL=http://media.gameboy.ign.com/articles/615/615160/img_2793620.html]LINK[/URL] to a much more detailed photo. As you may notice, the start and select buttons light up.

Posted by Pit

Feel the same way... but it's so good looking. I want it :( *** I'm such a whore.

Posted by Ant

Meh, whatever. No big deal. I'm sure it will sell though cause it's new, sorta like the PSONE did.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Am I crazy, or is this just some "filler material" for Nintendo's income?

You are quite sane my friend.

Quoted post:
Then came the GBA SP. Which, was cool looking, but even that things is a ***** to hold comfortably and play. Yet, I still manage. But, this thing is just nuts.

It's probably wider than the SP, os it should be more easily to hold if you have big hands. Maybe.

But wait, how does the screen compare to the GBA or SP or DS? In size I mean. I don't know the measurements of the others, so maybe someone can tell me.

Anyways, I like it. Especially the black face plate. Chances are, I'll buy it.

Posted by Black_Wolf

Oh yea, wonderful little piece of hardware, wish that they woulda had this before I bought the GBA and the GBASP...that's why Nintendo ****es me off. I want one, but why are they putting effort into a smaller GBA when the GC gets little to no attention at all? It would be different if Nintendo was out there, bombarding the GC with awesome first party titles, but they aren't. Instead they're pouring more into their handheld market...and not even into the DS?! Just another GBA. Makes little to no sense at all to me. I mean what's new on the DS? Nintendogs?? As creative as that game is, its not enough for people to start buying DSs. But thats a whole nother rant.

But yea, the Micro is sweet. Maybe if it was a cellphone too, then that would be a must-have.

Quoted post: I mean what's new on the DS? Nintendogs??

Check out some E3 updates... so much DS goodness.

Quoted post: As creative as that game is, its not enough for people to start buying DSs. But thats a whole nother rant.

Incorrect. Please refer to the Japanese market. Thousands of people bought a DS just so they could pick up this game. Massive hit over in the east, and upped the DS sales like crazy.

Quoted post: I want one, but why are they putting effort into a smaller GBA when the GC gets little to no attention at all? It would be different if Nintendo was out there, bombarding the GC with awesome first party titles, but they aren't. Instead they're pouring more into their handheld market...and not even into the DS?! Just another GBA.

It was probably a billion times easier, cheaper faster to make the micro than make a whole new GC game. Plus, they know that people will buy it. While a game, you're never to sure.

Posted by nich

Screen:

2.9" TFT reflective screen

240x160 resolution

40.8mm x 61.2mm screen size

32,768 possible colors

511 simultaneous colors in character mode

32,768 simultaneous colors in bitmap mode

coutesy of [url]www.dscentral.net[/url]

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't care, really. I'm not getting one, but I can see it selling.

Posted by Black_Wolf

Quoting Vampiro: Incorrect. Please refer to the Japanese market. Thousands of people bought a DS just so they could pick up this game. Massive hit over in the east, and upped the DS sales like crazy.

I'm not japanese, so I will not refer to their market. Nintendo will always be next to ***liness over there, so it doesn't matter what they do. But in the states its different.

Posted by Bebop

I want one. I like the look and it is more suited to my lifestyle.

Posted by Klarth

I can see myself maiming my hands on that. It's pretty, but looks about as functional as a Nes controller.

I already own an SP and two normal GBAs (don't ask), so I'll avoid this one.

Posted by Alastor

I can see it getting decent sales, but personally, this thing's just got me "wtf"ing. I completely fell in love with the SP for nothing more than the backlight and the clamshell design. I read somewhere that this has replaceable screen plates, but it has no clamshell. The SP already is a little small for my hands, even though I love it. This...eh.

I just don't honestly see the point of an even smaller one when I've never had a pocket that my SP couldn't slip into. I'm sure it'll get its fans, but I'm not yet one of them.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

If you have a working SP, then there's no reason to pick this up, as it plays the same games, correct? Games won't be specially made for just the micro. So, it's pretty pointless. It'll get the fans who drool over everything Nintendo releases, or those who have extra money to throw away, but I definitely won't be getting it.

Posted by G-Sides

I'll stick with my GBA kthx

Posted by boomstick

Well, I have a GBA SP and since this Micro doesn't play any other GB games except GBA, whereas my GBA SP does and since I don't really care if I can fit a Game Boy in my super tight leather jeans that hug my *** like not other, I'll pass.

Posted by Morag2

I think I would have trouble playing on one... I should buy one just for decoration and keep playing my normal GBA. It will be like a gameboy figurine to put on my windowsill. I don't want to play one but it's so good looking.

Posted by boomstick

That's another thing that bothers me about Micro, the screen seems so small, it seems as if there would be trouble with playing games on it.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's the same size as the others. The rest of the unit is just small.

Posted by Siazo

Anyone know what it will use for batteries, My gameboy is broken and I've been meaning to buy a new one for awhile but I can't find a new normal one. I

Posted by Pit

Quoting Siazo: Anyone know what it will use for batteries, My gameboy is broken and I've been meaning to buy a new one for awhile but I can't find a new normal one. I

It uses a car battery.

Angelwanglol!!:

"If you have a working SP, then there's no reason to pick this up, as it plays the same games, correct? Games won't be specially made for just the micro. So, it's pretty pointless."

Well, isn't that kinda saying, "If you have a working GBA, I see no reason to get an SP". Of course this won't change gameplay (well, shoulder buttons are longer, which I like, and I like that control set up... with the screen in le middle. Dunno, my goal is to collect like every handheld made by Nintendo and this, although is a remodel, is still something "new and fresh".

**** it, what am I saying, I just want the **** thing.

Posted by Morag2

Quoting Siazo: Anyone know what it will use for batteries, My gameboy is broken and I've been meaning to buy a new one for awhile but I can't find a new normal one. I

Besides the obvious car batteries as pit pointed out... I'm sure it will have a secondary powersource... you know that people who are dumb and don't like car batteries can use... I'm thinking it will probably have a battery pack like the SP had... and if not then AA batteries.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Morag2: Besides the obvious car batteries as pit pointed out... I'm sure it will have a secondary powersource... you know that people who are dumb and don't like car batteries can use... I'm thinking it will probably have a battery pack like the SP had... and if not then AA batteries.

Just like the SP, charge it and go.

Quoted post: The SP already is a little small for my hands, even though I love it.

It supposedly fits better in your hands, letting them stretch out more and giving them more room. After all, it is wider than the SP.

Quoted post: It's the same size as the others. The rest of the unit is just small.

It's smaller than the rest actually, but greater resolution. So in the end it really doesn't matter. For example text, it may be smaller but it's actually easier to read. Supposely.

Posted by Soul_Tassadar

I have a working sp, and Ill buy one of these just for the sake of supporting nintendo. And so I can have a really stylish and expensive key chain.

[quote]Incorrect. Please refer to the Japanese market. Thousands of people bought a DS just so they could pick up this game. Massive hit over in the east, and upped the DS sales like crazy.
heh, I believe the sales ratio was 3:1 DSvsPSP in japan because of nintendogs. Im definatly buying it when it comes out in the states, very inovative use of stylis and microphone.

Posted by coromoro

I hate myself because I know I'm going to get it. :(

Posted by Hannibal King

i dont know what the point is in making a new gameboy when they released the DS

Posted by Boner

Quoting Hannibal King: i dont know what the point is in making a new gameboy when they released the DS

[COLOR=PaleGreen][SIZE=7]$$$[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Posted by Pit

Quoting Hannibal King: i dont know what the point is in making a new gameboy when they released the DS

Heh, maybe some people can't read.

It's not a new gameboy, people. It isn't. It's a remodel. The Gameboy to Pocket was a remodel. The Pocket to the Light was a remodel (which although didn't leave outside Japan, I still manage to play it). It's not anything new. It plays the same games.

I mean, seriously, the GBA line has sold over 28 million copies worldwide, a new model is only gonna rake up more millions.

Quoted post: i dont know what the point is in making a new gameboy when they released the DS

The DS is not a Gameboy. Hence the lack of "Gameboy". The DS line will probably continue to run beside the GB and home console line. Three tiers of Nintendo gaming. Simple enough to understand, right?

Posted by Axis

Meh, I'm not sure if I'll buy one myself but I know my little brother will. ***, he has every single Gameboy there is.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Speedfreak: I don't care, really. I'm not getting one, but I can see it selling.

It's 0.5 inches smaller actually

Posted by Speedfreak

...alright. 0_o

Posted by segashadow128gcn

how much is the new micro going to cost thats what i want to know?!?

Quoted post: how much is the new micro going to cost thats what i want to know?!?

Everything is speculation at this point.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Hmm, I have no Idea why I'd buy one, I own a DS. But if that thing is cheap, i'd Probably get one, it looks so sleak, I probably wouldn't even play it, I would just make it look cool, i'd take it out and be like "Look at my gameboy micro, isnt it sexy, I mean look at it." Or "Look at my ghetto iPod, its almost the same, except it doesnt play music"

Posted by Sean Fury

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

The Gameboy Micro is a worthless load of trash. If Nintendo spent half the time improving their games for handhelds, rather than making new ones, perhaps they wouldn't be third in the console wars.

I admit, the Advance had it's faults, but it was at least comfortable to hold and had a decent sized-screen, yet still retained the ability to fit comfortable in my pockets. The SP, while more portable and had a light, was much too small, a very uncomfortable handheld to play with for more than at least a half-hour, if not more. The DS, now this is totally idiotic, was never needed, "omFg sony wiall maek a Handldeds su we ned mur!!!11oneone" What idiot came up with the DS? Touch screen? What the f.uck are we, five? We don't fu.cking need a handheld that would give us the ability to color purty pictures for our mommies, we need a handheld that's comfortable, easily portable, and will play GOOD games. This "Micro" is just stupid, I mean, seriously, who the hell wants something that you need under a microscope to play? And don't forget, you have to buy that seperately.

The point is, the GBA was good as it was, Nintendo had no need to make these 50 other handhelds, really. If they would of just improved upon the GBA, they wouldn't have to worry about anything.

Posted by Fate

What a dumb idea.

Posted by YoungWolf

i agree that gameboy micro was the stupidest idea sice swiss cheese but the Nintendo DS is awesome your just jealous ecause i have one and you dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Pit

Quoting Sean Fury: I've said it before, I'll say it again.

The Gameboy Micro is a worthless load of trash. If Nintendo spent half the time improving their games for handhelds, rather than making new ones, perhaps they wouldn't be third in the console wars.

Before I go and correct your stupidity, first things first. There are different teams, moron. The people who create the handhelds are a totally different team than the ones that create the games. Also, considering that Nintendo owns 94% of the handheld market, you act like they're third in the handheld wars? I'm aware that you said "console wars" but it's obvious you're directing that statement to Nintendo handhelds. Let me guess, Neo-Geo is beating them, or better yet, the wonder swan. Seriously, before you go on and make yourself look like a complete retard, why don't you get your fucking facts straight.

Quoted post: I admit, the Advance had it's faults, but it was at least comfortable to hold and had a decent sized-screen, yet still retained the ability to fit comfortable in my pockets.

Not all of us wear baggy pants. The thing had no lighting, was heavy, and large. It was crying for a remodel, just like the GB to the GBPocket. Also, the constant purchasing of batteries for hardcore gamers was a drag. Screen scratched too easily.

Quoted post: The SP, while more portable and had a light, was much too small, a very uncomfortable handheld to play with for more than at least a half-hour, if not more.

Much too small? What are you, 6''7 with ginormous hands?

Quoted post: The DS, now this is totally idiotic, was never needed, "omFg sony wiall maek a Handldeds su we ned mur!!!11oneone" What idiot came up with the DS? Touch screen? What the f.uck are we, five? We don't fu.cking need a handheld that would give us the ability to color purty pictures for our mommies, we need a handheld that's comfortable, easily portable, and will play GOOD games.

Yes, the DS is so idiotic that it has sold over 5 million copies nationwide. They didn't make the DS to combat the PSP, dick.

Touch screen? Five? Yeah, because I sure see a lot of five year olds with PDA's. Hell, you probably don't even know any games on the DS. The touch screen allows developers to creat new types of games and genres for gamers can have new ways to play games. Guess you haven't seen games like Kirby, Meteos, Viewtiful Joe, and other titles that take advantage of this feature.

Also, the DS is just as portable as the GBA, so I don't even know what the hell you're talking about. I don't even think you've held a DS.

Quoted post: This "Micro" is just stupid, I mean, seriously, who the hell wants something that you need under a microscope to play? And don't forget, you have to buy that seperately.

Wait, you've read the hands on previews, right? You also know how slight 0.5'' is, right? You also know that you can adjust the light to any setting to see outside and inside depending on room lighting, right? You also read that even though the screen is smaller, due to the better screen and lighting, you can't really tell the difference, right?

Quoted post: If they would of just improved upon the GBA, they wouldn't have to worry about anything.

What the hell do you call the GBA -> GBA SP -> GB Micro? It's the same thing as the GB -> GBP -> GBC.

Seriously, before you post, at least have somewhat of an idea of what the fuck you're talking about.

They didn't make the Micro because they're in third place. They made the micro because it's only gonna sell more units and keep them on the giant lead that they have.

Posted by junior senior

I'll have no problem with it because my hands are very small. :cool:

Posted by maian

I probably won't buy it. I didn't buy the SP, upon already owning a GBA. And now that I have my DS, I don't need another GBA model.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

cool. i hope it is cheep.

Posted by Random

I think it's a smart and a dumb idea at once. It's a smart idea on nintendo's behalf to steal peoples money. It's a dumb idea of people actually buy this. This would make about I think 5 Nintendo Handhelds released in 5 Years. "Hey i've got a great idea, lets spend money on all these new Gameboys coming out because I have to have the latest and greatest.. Oh and Next year i'll be the next one." Ugh.. and people complain that next gen consoles are coming out too soon.. Don't get me wrong though Nintendo will make money on it I bet.

*Force Heals Maians Arm*

Me:All better.. You owe me Money now..
Maian:No I don't think so..
Me: oh yeah... *Force Persuasion.. "I want 5 bucks"*
Maian:Hey Thanks.. Heres 5 bucks...
Me: Mwuahahaha..

err so thats how it'd go :-P

Posted by Demon Soul Cube

What would, I think, really hit the DS off is a The Sims, with the same graphics we see in Nintendogs and not the crappy GBA ones. I would like that. You could use the touch screen to build stuff and such.

Posted by nich

what are you talking about?

Quoted post: What would, I think, really hit the DS off is a The Sims, with the same graphics we see in Nintendogs and not the crappy GBA ones. I would like that. You could use the touch screen to build stuff and such.

Horribly idea.

Posted by vgmaster12

This is a stupid way of Nintendo to make a little more money and get a little more control of the handheld market. Besides the SP is better and it has built in light and it can fit into my pocket. So dont even waste your money on this! Who would want a smaller screen!

Posted by nich

Sure it's smaller but it's better. I've played games on a cell phone with a tiny screen before, it's really not too bad.

Posted by speedemon35

Guess this is going to mark the beggining of micro playing... Next thing you know, Sony and Microsoft will come up with devices that fit in half the palm of your hand and expect people to play in them

Posted by Revolver Ocelot

Thats just competition anymore.. It's like Pepsi and Coke. Coke came up with Vanilla Coke, 5 seconds later Pepsi has Vanilla Pepsi. Coke came up with that Half this and that, 5 seconds later Pepsi copied it. It's just competition. It'll always be there.

Posted by loony636

Urghhh, disgusting. Wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Posted by infernolism

hold on second does this micro gameboy have a built-in light like sp?

Posted by Speedfreak

It's backlit. The screen is better lit and sharper than the SP. All you people complaining about the size of the screen have failed to realise youve already been playing on a small friggin screen for the past 15 years. What's another few millimeters gonna do!?

Posted by Drewboy64

The small screen doesn't bother me. The Micro looks beautiful, but It's too expensive, and I already have my SP.

Posted by infernolism

the gamboy mivro is not gonna cost alot...i think maybe 95 dollars

Posted by infernolism

the gamboy micro is not gonna cost alot...i think maybe 95 dollars

Quoted post: the gamboy micro is not gonna cost alot...i think maybe 95 dollars

It would probably be round up to $100. Either way, it can be considered expensive since the SP and GBA are both elss than that. Not to mention they are backward compatible. Though that's a trade-off for better resolution and being backlit.

Posted by obryen

It's just the Gameboy Pocket all over again. The first and last handheld I ever bought was the big, chunky, off-white classic Gameboy with the four shades of green screen. The Pocket came out a couple months later and I'm still glad I got the original. The Micro is a clever design, but what's the point if you already have the same basic thing? Besides, as someone pointed out, this one isn't backward compatible, which means that even those who don't own an earlier model of the GBA have little reason to pick this one up.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting obryen: It's just the Gameboy Pocket all over again. The first and last handheld I ever bought was the big, chunky, off-white classic Gameboy with the four shades of green screen. The Pocket came out a couple months later and I'm still glad I got the original. The Micro is a clever design, but what's the point if you already have the same basic thing? Besides, as someone pointed out, this one isn't backward compatible, which means that even those who don't own an earlier model of the GBA have little reason to pick this one up.

Welcome to VGC! :D

Hell ya! You live in Michigan too! Michiganders UNITE! lol

Quoted post: It's just the Gameboy Pocket all over again.

This is the order of the GB line. This is what Nintendo does. Aren't you used to it yet?

Posted by Pit

Quoting Vampiro: This is the order of the GB line. This is what Nintendo does. Aren't you used to it yet?

Yeah man. All companies do remodels, that either upgrade on something, and of course, downgrade something as well.

With this new model, of course, you get a better sized system and a higher quality screen. Drawback? Not backwards compatible. I don't expect it to be anyways. The screen IS smaller. The GB screen is smaller than that of the advances, so by making it backwards compatible, you'd be reducing the regular gameboy screen even more to a point where text is unreadable.

Posted by obryen

Wait, now I'm confused. You said the GB screen is smaller than that of the advances, so if you tried to make the Micro backward-compatible, it'd make the text impossible to read because the Micro's screen is smaller than the advances. Wouldn't that just scale it back down to original size, of the advance screens are bigger than the original GB? Also, most text on gameboy games is the darkest shade against the lightest, and the resolution would be as good as ever, so I doubt the screen would really ruin your experience. I played FF7 on the Interact PSone screen when it first came out, and I could read that. I think it'd be doable. But yeah, I know they do this, I'm just *****ing about it.