Suikoden

Posted by Granseal

Who has played the Suikoden Series here and what is your favourite game out of the series? Just post your opinions on the games here.

Suikoden 2 Was my favourite for sure, I liked the close relations to the first game too. I was shocked when I seen you know who at the first of the game,

I don't want to spoil it for Suikoden 1 Players...

Posted by Philsdad

Hey, where's Alen at? :)

The Suikoden series is probably my favorite RPG series, especially the first two. I thought they had really refreshing, unique storylines, and the characters had a lot of charm. Viktor and Flik are the coolest duo ever, I was disappointed to see they didn't come back in Suikoden 3 (yet they bring back Apple!)

I like the way the first Suikoden really had 2 simultaneous but intertwining plots...the main character's quest to hide the soul eater from Windy, and find out his true calling and the liberation war. The game presented the issue of personal identity and difficult choices in a unique way. The only issue with the first Suiokden is the big battles. They're pretty much a joke. The first few are just pure luck, if you have some thieves who guess moves correctly, it helps. And with the last few, you have enough ninjas (and dragon knights) to win without any casualities at all. The map battles were great in Suikoden 2, however. I was a fan of old KOEI strategy games like Nobunaga's Ambition, so I was really glad to see this style of battling.

Suikoden 2 also had a really moving storyline. I think I like the entire premise behind the first game the best, but the 2nd one had some really moving moments and great character relationships (Jowy and the hero, the hero and nanami etc.) And let's not forget the side games! The cooking contest was awesome.

Anyway, good to see another fan of the series here. Black_Wolf is a big fan too, but I haven't seen him post much lately.

Posted by bazariah

i love the first two suikoden titles

i played number four for a while recently and it's ok, i wouldnt say it's a major purchase though

number 2 was the greatest though, and it in my humble opinion is one of the greatst rpg's of all time :D

Posted by Xenos

It wasn't really my type of RPG, really. I played the second one, I think, then I played half of the third.

Posted by Granseal

I didn't enjoy the third that much at all, but I liked the 108 stars secret ending.

Posted by Black_Wolf

Quoting Philsdad: Black_Wolf is a big fan too, but I haven't seen him post much lately.

Well thanks Philsdad for 'membering me. Don't get much love around here. But yeah, overall Suikoden is my favorite RPG series as well. The first two are so good and there hasn't been anything like them in long time. The stories are so good. I like how the 108 characters all come together and they aren't all 'chosen ones' who have been predestined to defeat an ancient evil.

That's why I loved the second one so much. The story w/ Jowy really moved me and I can't say that about too many RPGs anymore. The scene at the end at the waterfall...just a great vgame moment. Everything about the Suikoden series is so badass. Building a sweet base w/ all your characters there and hell yea the minigames were awesome. The cooking one was hands down the best.

But yea, Suikoden 3 was a major disappointment. What the hell was the deal with the paired combat. That really ****ed me off. The things that I did like in the 3rd one was the storyline with the castle and the master and how he had to deal w/ all the problems. I thought his storyline was the most intruiging, but they didn't elaborate on it at all. Geddoe was also really cool, but ended up just being kinda boring. I really like how Hutch grew up w/ the dragon and carried Humphrey's sword, that was really really awesome I thought. I need to get the 4th one, but I've heard so much negative words about it, but I have to be loyal.

Posted by Granseal

At first with the first suikoden director, The whole story was suppose to revolve around what was going on with Yuber and Pasmerga. Now since the original Suikoden creator left after the second game, the story might not connect to that anymore, I hope it does.

Also who is your favourite Suikoden character from all games? Mine is Granseal and Alen. I have a passion for knights in the two games.

Posted by ZEN

I've only played Suikoden 1 and 2, and watched a friend play bits of Suikoden 3.
Just on the basis of the first two games alone, I would declare this my all-time favorite RPG series.

I appreciate how the plot doesn't revolve around trying to save the world from the great one-dimensional "evil", but instead focuses on a smaller part of a world with characters caught up in their own personal struggles.

The feel of the game is beyond epic. Despite the traditional leveling up and (my least favorite RPG element) "random battles", the game manages to seem like something far greater than what it is (but mainly because IT IS).
The real "adventure" part of the game is finding all 108 companions, spread out across the land and the excitement in adding a new recruit. Watching your headquarters grow, discovering new "unite attacks" and the mini games just add to the overall experience.

'Suikoden' has my favorite cast of characters of any series. Despite the large cast, all of them are "memorable" in some way and even the villains have personality. It's not just a bunch of cutesy anime kids and I even get to control men who actually have "facial hair" (how original is THAT for a Japan RPG)!

It's also not as "slow paced" as other RPG series (I saw more action in the first 3 hours of both games than in the first 12 hours of other games).
Well done.

I played through 'Suikoden II' no less than 3 times (which is 3 times more than usual for me on RPG's) and even completed the Clive/Elza side quest.
Yeah.

It's called 'Suikoden' children. It's all good!

Quoting Granseal: Also who is your favourite Suikoden character from all games?

I have to pick the duo, Flik and Viktor (can't have one without the other).
I also have to give credit to Richmond from 'Suikoden 2' (especially for that theme song).

Posted by Granseal

Quoting ZEN:
I appreciate how the plot doesn't revolve around trying to save the world from the great one-dimensional "evil"

Well said, and I do agree

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Granseal: At first with the first suikoden director, The whole story was suppose to revolve around what was going on with Yuber and Pasmerga. Now since the original Suikoden creator left after the second game, the story might not connect to that anymore, I hope it does.

Also who is your favourite Suikoden character from all games? Mine is Granseal and Alen. I have a passion for knights in the two games.

The original Suikoden creator said that the final resolution between Pesmerga and Yuber would be the very last thing that was ever revealed in the series. Now that he left though, who knows what's going to happen with it. I hope they complete it too, but I wouldn't count on it..Pesmerga's absence from Suikoden 3 kind of leads me to believe that the Pesmerga/Yuber storyline is pretty much forgotten. I have no idea whether he is in Suikoden 4 or not, and I won't know for awhile because I don't have a PS2 anymore.

As for my favorite character, that's a tough question.. I'd have to go with Viktor for my all time favorite Suikoden character, but there were so many other great ones. Luca Blight was one of the best villains ever. Jowy is probably one of the most well written characters in any RPG..but he was a total dick, and I hated him personally.

Posted by Black_Wolf

I totally agree about Luca Blight! I've never hated an enemy in a game so much and I was actually scared to fight him. I planned that attack on Blight for a couple days, leveling up my 3 different teams, trying to get the best combination of balance...yeah, that was freggin' awesome. Actually, one of the best segments in an RPG i think.

My favorite character would prolly be...Humphrey. He was so quiet, but awesome and the second one w/ him and Futch hanging out. But I was also a big fan of Clive. Nanami was pretty money too. From the first one I loved Fu Su Lu, the big axe guy w/ a tiger skin on. He was a hoss. I loved Gremio, I mean, who didn't. Geddoe was really cool, and Ace was a pimp in the 3rd one. My favorite character from 3 was Hallec, the giant barbarian and Futch w/ Humphrey's sword and Bright the dragon.

There are so many characters that I love. And that's the best thing about RPGs is characters, otherwise we wouldn't play them. And that's what the Suikoden series does best is characters. I need to go buy the 4th soon, hopefully it's about 20-30bucks by now.

Posted by Granseal

Yeah, hopefully it will carry on, You never know. My favourite Character is Granseal as you might already know. But I also like pahn. My favourite Villan is between Luca Blight and Seed.

Posted by ZEN

Luca Blight was a nightmare. The first time I got to him I got annihilated after about 3 turns (with all 3 parties). Then I realized that his multiple hit column attacks are "fire-based", so I equipped the 'fire-sealing Rune' and he was finally beat-able.
Luca Blight could serve as the final battle on just about any RPG, but it was actually only 3/4ths into 'Suikoden II'. Every fight after that, however seemed rather easy (including Neclord and the Wolves).

I keep hearing negative things about 'Suikoden IV'. Stuff like, you can only have 4 characters in a party, there is no home "castle", it still has random battles, etc.
I'm sure it's still your better-than-average RPG, but without the direction of the game's original designers and story tellers, it seems almost discouraging to pick up.
I will still play it if I get the chance of course.

Posted by Granseal

I found Luca Quite simple actually, I just put strong up front and equiped at least one character with a fire resistant, then went for him. My party was:

Main Character
Nanami
Ellie = Healer
Camus
Humphry
Miklitov

I managed to get Humphry by pushing the wall forward at the Muse-Matilda boarder when I was going to Muse, It was a very useful thing to do, After the whole quest with Futch and Humphry, I had 6 characters at level 37-40. the game was so easy for half of it.

Posted by Philsdad

I got slaughtered pretty badly the first time I fought Luca. I died the 2nd time too. Finally, after an exhaustive 3rd attempt, I was able to beat him. But Alas! I didn't think enough to heal my main character, and lost the duel. I was able to beat him pretty easily from then on by using this strategy though:

Main Character with lighting rune, and bright shield rune.
Humphrey with firesealing rune (nearly impossible for him to die)
Camus and Miklotov with their Knight unite attack
Nanami with Spark rune
Luc with lightning rune

With all the lightning runes, he loses HP VERY fast. From then, it's just a matter of keeping alive and doing some solid physical attacks (Humphrey and the Knights can do this well) while keeping alive, and he'll go down pretty fast.