Left screen flickering

Posted by TheDude42

Last time I played it, my VB worked fine. I got a new game, and turned it on, and now the left screen either flickers, or has staticy junk on it. Depending on what game is inserted, the alignment screen either shows up fine, or misaligned (but always jumpy and staticy on the left).

I tried different games, I tried blowing the cartridge area out. Nothing. Is there any hope? Or did something just disintegrate?

I bought a used unit off ebay, so at least I'll have one, but this was my baby (bought it new for $20 US WITH 2 games!!). And I wanted to work on a link cable....

Any help would be greatly appriciated, even just to confirm my screwdness. Thanks!

Posted by Boner

It seems strange that you bought it new, and now it's glitching out on you. That being said, I have a couple of questions for you...

A) Was it new in the box? By that, I mean a "never opened" box. It's possible to think you are getting a brand spanking new VB in the box, because many people have held on to the original packaging. Besides, $20 for one that is brand new and comes with 2 games is quite rare.

B) Was it dropped? I'm sure no proud VB owner in their right mind would even put their unit in a situation such as one where it could be dropped. But, if there are other people in your home that could possibly get their grubby little hands on it....

Either way, it's not easy to repair these things. Most people would just go out and buy a new one. Even though Nintendo does not sell used/refurbished games or VB units anymore, they will still repair it for you if you are looking to spend the money. I have no idea how much it would cost though. Honestly, I'd suggest giving it a proper burial (ie. throw it in your closet), and check ebay for another one. Or, just use your spare. I have 2 VBs myself. One stays in the hard shell case and NEVER gets played. The other gets played quite often. Perhaps some of the other guys here will have some suggestions. But, I'd bet dollars to donuts that they will pretty much give the same response.

Edit: Oh yeah, and good luck on that link cable :devil:

Posted by TheDude42

Thanks for the reply...let me try to answer your questions

Quoting Opeth:
A) Was it new in the box? Besides, $20 for one is quite rare.

Hehe. Yes it was new. I meant I bought it NEW new. Like just after it was decided to be a massive failure and EB was getting rid of it's stock new. Actually, I cry now that I think of that MASSIVE pyramid of VBs on display for $20. Should have bought them all...... or at least 2.

Quoting Opeth:
B) Was it dropped?

No sir! Been taken care of/on display very nicely.

Quoting Opeth:
Either way, it's not easy to repair these things. Most people would just go out and buy a new one. Even though Nintendo does not sell used/refurbished games or VB units anymore, they will still repair it for you if you are looking to spend the money. I have no idea how much it would cost though. Honestly, I'd suggest giving it a proper burial (ie. throw it in your closet), and check ebay for another one. Or, just use your spare. I have 2 VBs myself. One stays in the hard shell case and NEVER gets played. The other gets played quite often. Perhaps some of the other guys here will have some suggestions. But, I'd bet dollars to donuts that they will pretty much give the same response.

Yeah that's what I figured. I just wanted *mine* to work. Nintendo's site says repair is no longer available for the VB though.... If I took it apart myself, is there anything that I could correct, resolder, etc?

Quoting Opeth:
Edit: Oh yeah, and good luck on that link cable :devil:

Yes I noticed you were working on one. Do you have any experience/specs to convey? Did you have any measure of success? Do you know which games are supported? I have some engineer friends that are willing to help, but I'd like to know where to start. The port sort of looks like the same contacts as usb. Maybe I can hack a usb cable to build a plug, but I don't know where to begin with the wiring.

Thanks for the advice!!

Posted by KR155E

I think I can be of use regarding the link cable. I just posted building instructions on [URL=http://www.vr32.de]Planet Virtual Boy[/URL], which I used for my own cable. I hope it's not a bad omen that mine isn't working (;P), but I think it's just the pins which have no contact.

Posted by Boner

Quoting TheDude42: Nintendo's site says repair is no longer available for the VB though.... If I took it apart myself, is there anything that I could correct, resolder, etc?

Nintendo won't even repair them now, eh? That must be a recent thing. Well, if your VB is not working properly, then you can only assume that it is now garbage. Now, assuming this, one could also assume that it can't hurt anything to take that peice of garbage apart. Right? I know if one of my units ever kicked the bucket, I'd have that thing open quicker than my girlfriend's legs on prom night. Which, isn't actually too quick. But, that's none of your business.

As far as the link cable; I have not messed with it for quite a while. I guess I just got bored trying to figure out a wire configuration that will work. Here is a helpful link that should get you in the ballpark with starting yours. [URL=http://www.emuunlim.com/VirtualE/spec001.htm]http://www.emuunlim.com/VirtualE/spec001.htm[/URL] I used the same instructions to produce mine. I hope you have lots of free time on your hands and know lots of swear words. You will need both for this project.

To my knowledge, though, none of the games produced for the VB had any coding to support the multiplayer/link cable feature. KR155E is a better resource of technical info on that stuff than I am. Anyway, good luck. Keep us posted on your progress. Aslo, feel free to browse the rest of the forums here. You seem like an intelligent fellow. We could certainly use more members like you posting here.

Posted by lameboyadvance

You can try opening it and diffling with the cables. That can fix a lot of screen problems.
Currently, you can't buy a screwdriver long enought to fit the deep screws of the console. Your best bet is getting a flathead scredriver and cutting a groove into it. I believe the instructions for this should be on either [url=http://www.vr32.de/]Planet Virtual Boy[/url] of [url=http://www.projectvb.vze.com/]Project: VB[/url].

EDIT: OK, it seems it's only on Project: VB and UVBHP so far. KR155E, you may consider putting this on your site as well.
You can find some info on modding the screwdriver for VB partway down [url=http://dogpn.home.mchsi.com/VirtualBoy/VBDissect.htm]this page[/url].
...And of course there's the images on The Unofficial VB Homepage at the bottom of [url=http://goliathindustries.com/vb/VBDiagrams.html]this page[/url].

Posted by MR. Poove

he Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: So far, with the lack of games I have actually played for the Super Nintendo, this has been my favorite. It was also one of my very first Super Nintendo games. I remember how excited I was when I first got this admirable adventure. It was shortly after I defeated the sequel to The Legend of Zelda for the NES, The Adventures of Link, so the Zelda atmosphere was still with me. I was astonished and bewildered by the enhancement of visual pleasures this game had from previous Zelda games. Unlike the previous Zelda games for the NES, it didn