Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

Posted by Iron Man

Finally! A true rpg version of Pokemon on the Gamecube.

[quote]May 14, 2005 - While a short feature in a Japanese comic magazine last year gave us our very first look at the new GameCube Pokemon title, Nintendo has waited until now to share solid details and screenshots. The title's full name is Pokemon XD: Dark Lugia, and it seems to be similar to Pokemon Colosseum. The "XD" in the name stands for "Xtra Dimension" (oh my, it's getting closer to becoming a real word!), with the "Xtra" apparently coming from new elements featured in this game that aren't featured in the GBA titles.

As with Colosseum, XD centers on Dark Pokemon, Pokemon who've had their hearts sealed away and now use Dark Skills to attack you and your Pokemon friends. You play as a nameless main character who adventures with his little sister, Mana. Your quest is to free the Dark Pokemon from their misguided trainers and open their hearts back up. To do this, you'll make use of an eye piece called the "Aura Searcher," which identifies Dark Pokemon by their characteristic purple glow, and your Snatch Machine, which plucks the Dark Pokemon from battle.

Two Pokemon in play a particularly large role in the game. Lugia, a mysterious Pokemon who lives at the bottom of the sea, has been turned into dark form, giving her a dark body, red eyes and sharp claws. Stopping Dark Lugia seems to be your ultimate goal. As with Colosseum, you start off with a Pokemon character in your party. This time around, Evie is with you from the start. You'll have to raise her into a powerful Pokemon if you want to advance in the game.

XD features a full RPG-style quest, taking you to various towns and locations. You'll meet a number of human characters on your travels. Nintendo seems to be preparing a more fleshed out quest this time around.

Be sure and check out our new screens of Pokemon XD. The Japanese version of the game is set for release on 8/4, with a US version to follow.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/614/614189p1.html

Looks awesome. I like the idea of a Dark Lugia, that sounds really awesome.

Posted by Mystic Hero

It seems to me like a remake of Coloseeum. Let me just say that I didn't enjoy that game too much. It was too short, too simple for my taste, and the whole concept of opening up Pokemon's hearts seems kind of dumb to me. If anything this new one will be a rental for me.

Posted by Morag2

I didn't like colliseum but that Dark Lugia is downright SWEET!!! I think it will warrant a purchase.

Posted by goku262003

ok this is odd ive been out of the pkmn loop since...well lets say gold and silver and the begenning of RB + SPH this is wired **** a DARK lugia wonder if theres a dark ho-oh? wonder if he can be traded?

Posted by Alastor

Looks interesting. I might actually play this one. I never did play Colluseum. :cool:

What looks to be a Hyper Beam attack in that one screenshot looks pretty spiffy, and the Dark Lugia looks interesting. I do wonder what that Vaporeon is doing back there in the shot with that Snorlax, though. :o

Posted by Iron Man

Probably a double battle. Personally I would have ditched the whole shadow pokemon thing and just have it like the regular games, that would have made me even more interested.

EDIT: ...Then again they might be a little smarter and relase a full blown P'Mon rpg on the Revolution.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

[quote]As with Colosseum, XD centers on Dark Pokemon, Pokemon who've had their hearts sealed away and now use Dark Skills to attack you and your Pokemon friends.

Eurgh.

Posted by Pit

Ugh, I hated that collosseum bullcrap. I wanted a real free roaming RPG where I collect gym badges, face an elite 4, and capture wild pokemon train em, not caprture evil ones and purify them like in Colloseum.

Posted by Morag2

I hated the Dark pokemon system, I spent from 9:00PM to 11:00PM on the last night I had the game rented purifying my tyranitar so I could trade it to my sapphire. After that 2 hours purifying streak I had no desire to buy Colisseum after I returned it.