LoZ: Twilight Princess - E3 Impressions

Posted by Alastor

This is looking, to me, to be the best Zelda yet. IGN has got some new goodies for us, including a total of now 110 screen shots and a brand new trailer, straight from E3. You've got to be a IGN Insider to get it, though, so if anyone with IGN Insider could send it to me I'd be most grateful. :cool:

*links moved to Media thread*

Posted by Last Fog

I'm not an insider and I'm able to watch it. You just have to make a free account.

I don't know exactly what to say about the trailer. I'm still trying to soak it all in. I'm speechless.

Posted by Alastor

...that's odd. I have an account. I guess I'll try again. When I logged in I got an Insider ad. I have a free one, though.

*rushes to ign*

Posted by maian

I was just about to post the info. :) I haven't seen the screens or anything yet.....*can't contain excitement*

Posted by coromoro

The video is just... amazing.

I came home from school at lunch with my friend (himbopt) to see what new things were going on at the conference, and we went on IGN to find the new trailer. We probably watched it over seven times. :cool:

I won't go into details about the video, just watch it for yourself. :cool:

Posted by Morag2

THIS GAME IS GOING TO ROCK!!!! I'm sooooo happy... and pumped and stuff... I just LOVE the graphics.

Posted by Siazo

I don't have a IGN account, but it's probably the same trailer nintendo released today, just go too their site.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I've been stuck amazed. So much new info, and still so much to find out.

Question, was that Zelda under the cloak? I thought for sure it was, but now I hear people saying it's a villian (ie Vaati).

Posted by coromoro

I think it's Zelda. :cool:

Posted by FLiPBoY

Wow.. Did I just see link turn into a wolf? That was awesome. This video was simply amazing. Anybody have any info on that thing wolf-link carries on his back?

Quoted post: Anybody have any info on that thing wolf-link carries on his back?

Still a mystery.

Posted by Madame Flurrie

She's a witch named Midna. :) According to gccafe.com:

[quote]When an evil darkness enshrouds the land of Hyrule, a young farm boy named Link must awaken the hero...and the animal...within. When Link travels to into the darkened land of Hyrule, he transforms into a wolf and must scour the land with the help of a mysterious being named Midna. Ride into battle against troops of foul creatures with an incredible horseback combat system, then take on massive bosses that must be seen to be believed. Many puzzles stand between Link and the fulfillment of his quest, so players must sharpen their wits as they hunt for weapons and items.

Link, a young man raised as a wrangler in a small, rural village, is ordered by the mayor to attend the Hyrule Summit. He sets off, oblivious to the dark fate that has descended upon the kingdom. When he enters the Twilight Realm that has covered Hyrule, he transforms into a wolf and is captured. A mysterious figure named Midna helps him break free, and with the aid of her magic, they set off to free the land from the shadows.

Link must explore the vast land of Hyrule and uncover the mystery behind its plunge into darkness. As he does, he

Posted by Alastor

Doesn't really look like Zelda to me. I was thinking it was Shadow, the new character rumored to be a Shiekah.

Posted by Al Borland

This is not Zelda. Link turning into a warewolf and being ridden by some weird thing looks awesome to you? Honestly, this game looks like crap to me.

Posted by Mystic Hero

*drools* This has got to be the best looking Zelda game to ever come out. The clips are just too amazing, I can't wait amc longer!

Posted by Morag2

If it has a light/dark world theme then that would be cool... it could also be like a flashback thing... maybe when you start the game you have no idea how the evil that your fighting got so powerful and your insane so you get flashbacks explaining how it happens... and it has something to do with a wolf and this wierd thing riding it. Maybe.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Al Borland: This is not Zelda. Link turning into a warewolf and being ridden by some weird thing looks awesome to you? Honestly, this game looks like crap to me.

He's actually not a werewolf. He's turned into a wolf when he ventures into Twilight Hyrule, which is what the whole "Dark World" thing is. That "weird thing" is an enemy of Link's, but he has to temporarily team up with it to face an even greater evil.

It's true. ZU told me. :o

Quoted post: Doesn't really look like Zelda to me. I was thinking it was Shadow, the new character rumored to be a Shiekah.

It's confirmed to be Zelda. She's wearing a funeral cloak because her land is dying and can do nothing to stop it.

Wait, Shadow? Explain.

Quoted post: That "weird thing" is an enemy of Link's, but he has to temporarily team up with it to face an even greater evil.

Has Midna been confirmed as an enemy? I just though she was some creature that figured she could help Link to help herself.

Quoted post:
This is not Zelda. Link turning into a warewolf and being ridden by some weird thing looks awesome to you? Honestly, this game looks like crap to me.

You do realize that's only a portion of the game right?

Posted by Klarth

When I watched the trailer, I immediately made up my mind not to sell my gcn. I just ordered a replacement power supply and a tv card for my laptop, and I am still awestruck by how good this looks.

I like the blend of cel-shading and realism.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Vampiro: It's confirmed to be Zelda. She's wearing a funeral cloak because her land is dying and can do nothing to stop it.

I read that she wears that cloak because it protects her from the effects of Twilight Hyrule, and she's being held captive there.

Quoted post: Has Midna been confirmed as an enemy? I just though she was some creature that figured she could help Link to help herself.

I'm not sure it's been 100% confirmed, but I'm reading from alot of sources that she's an enemy.

And about Shadow. There was a rumor floating around about the time the art of Link standing with his back to the mysterious cloaked figure with the glowing green eye. That character was thought by a few, including myself at first, to be Ganondorf, because of the drawings on the cloak. A closer examination revealed the mark of the Shiekah, i.e. the Lens Of Truth symbol.

Where the "Shadow" thing came from I'm not exactly sure, but this was thought to be a new Shiekah character that helped you in the game somehow, and might possibly be the wolf. If it was in fact a Shiekah, that would make Twilight Princess a prequel to Ocarina of Time, since Sheik (Zelda) claimed in OoT to be the last member of the Sheikah tribe. Since this character's identity and the game's place in the timeline have been confirmed, my entire theory was raped up the bumhole. :(

Quoted post: I read that she wears that cloak because it protects her from the effects of Twilight Hyrule, and she's being held captive there.

Straight from Aonuma's mouth (I believe). Check out the GameSpot videos, I believe he explains it there. He says something along the lines of it resembling a Japanese funeral cloak, that's where the inspiration came form.

Posted by Iris

If you noticed the little symbol on the cloak, it's the same as the symbol on Sheik's chest. I wouldn't totally rule out that it's not a Sheikah.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Iris: If you noticed the little symbol on the cloak, it's the same as the symbol on Sheik's chest. I wouldn't totally rule out that it's not a Sheikah.

But if it's been confirmed to be Zelda, how can it be a Sheikah? :o

Posted by Iris

Hey, Zelda is a pretend-Sheikah. Almost the same.

I didn't see that part! D:

Posted by Pit

Yeah, but Zelda is wearing the cloak as a funeral symbol as Vampiro said. The Twilight is slowly taking over Hyrule as she watches things wither and die. There's nothing she can do but watch it happen, thus the funeral cloak with the Sheikah symbol.

Posted by Alastor

Think I'd come to that conclusion already, baby. ;)

Posted by Al Borland

So Link morphs into a warewolf upon entering the dark world? I was under the impression that Link could morph into a warewolf on command, but instead it is more like a link to the past thing. What a relief. Also, I didn't know it was customary on this website to derep somebody for having an opinion.

Posted by Klarth

nah, we just disagree.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Al Borland: I didn't know it was customary on this website to derep somebody for having an opinion.

I derepped you for practically flaming a game you obviously knew very little about. Oh yeah, and the thing does say "Alastor disagrees!", so I think I may've disagreed with your opinion or something maybe! =O

Posted by Iris

We can't quite disagree with facts, now can we?

Posted by TwilightPrince

This game is gonna ****ing suck...the graphics look horrible, the concept sucks, the twilight zone sucks, the wolf sucks, link looks like a chick, the people look retarted, the item buttons suck(2??) and so on....O YA THE SUBTITLE SUCKS TOO

TWILIGHT PRINCESS??
wtf

Posted by Madame Flurrie

Quoting TwilightPrince: This game is gonna ****ing suck...the graphics look horrible, the concept sucks, the twilight zone sucks, the wolf sucks, link looks like a chick, the people look retarted, the item buttons suck(2??) and so on....O YA THE SUBTITLE SUCKS TOO

TWILIGHT PRINCESS??
wtf

The graphics look horrible? Hmm, I wonder if we are looking at the same game... the Zelda game I'm anticipating is absolutely beautiful. ;)

And how dare you insult The Twilight Zone! That was a wonderful television series! (Kidding, kidding...:))

Posted by TwilightPrince

i didnt insult the twilight zone?!?! i meant the twilight world-same diff

wut u been smoking....anyway i cant wait till this game comes out....ITS GONNA BE AWESOME!!!

This game is gonna rock...the graphics look amazing, the concept awesome, the twilight zone looks sweet, the wolf looks sick, link looks better than ever, the people look half-retarted, the item buttons are good(2!!) and so on....O YA THE SUBTITLE IS FRICKIN AWESOME!

TWILIGHT PRINCESS!!!

RULES!

Posted by Burrito

My guess is that Midna is the twilight princess in the title. This may sound a bit farfetched, but maybe Midna is what Zelda transforms into when she goes into the twilight realm.

About the two item buttons, you have the ability to combine items in the game. I figure that they thought that that would compensate for the loss of a button.

Posted by Madame Flurrie

According to [url=http://cube.ign.com/articles/621/621258p2.html]this article:[/url]

(spoilers!)

Midna is another being that was affected by the Twilight Realm's evil. It has been confirmed that she, like Link, has a true form she reverts to in the normal world. What it is, exactly, is yet to be revealed. Some people are speculating that she is actually Link's shadow and comes to life in the Twilight Realm.

Of course, the article doesn't completely rule out the Zelda = Midna theory either, as it also confirmed that Zelda "may" transform into something else in the Twilight Realm.

(spoilers are over!)

Posted by FredChuck3

when exactly is this game coming out?

Posted by Alastor

I doubt that Zelda would turn into anything in Twilight Hyrule, since that cloak she's wearing supposedly protects her from the effects of Twilight Hyrule. Not to mention i'm pretty sure she's being held captive.

Posted by Zeratul

Quoting Al Borland: So Link morphs into a warewolf upon entering the dark world? I was under the impression that Link could morph into a warewolf on command, but instead it is more like a link to the past thing. What a relief. Also, I didn't know it was customary on this website to derep somebody for having an opinion.

Link dosent turn into a warewolf, since humans cant survive in the twilight zone everyone who goes there turns into an animal (Link=Wolf)

It may be just me but dosent this storyline kinda already take place in Loz: A link to the past?

Quoted post: It may be just me but dosent this storyline kinda already take place in Loz: A link to the past?

There's similarities. But it will probably be different enough that it won't matter.

Posted by Burrito

I believe it's been confirmed to take place between Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

Quoted post: I believe it's been confirmed to take place between Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

OoT and WW.

Posted by Ant

Hmm...they sorta ****ed themselves over with the ending of Wind Waker. They should of let Gandorff have his way and bring back Hyrule. Much easier to make sequels from that.

Also, isn't it stated in the beginning of Wind Waker that when a hero was needed that no one came. If they are to stay true to the story, they would have to make Link fail in this adventure. :/

Quoted post: Hmm...they sorta ****ed themselves over with the ending of Wind Waker. They should of let Gandorff have his way and bring back Hyrule. Much easier to make sequels from that.

The games don't all take place in Hyrule. The ending of WW was excellent I must say.

Quoted post: Also, isn't it stated in the beginning of Wind Waker that when a hero was needed that no one came. If they are to stay true to the story, they would have to make Link fail in this adventure. :/

That's what I was thinking. It would fit the "darker" image of the game, and would be somewhat interesting.