E3 2005: Press Conference's Live on Gamespot. Get your times here.

Posted by Axis

[B]You can catch all the press conferences here on gamespot.com live at the following times (Please note that all times are PDT)

[IMG]http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/shared/e32005/pressevent_sony_coming.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/shared/e32005/pressevent_microsoft_coming.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/shared/e32005/pressevent_nintendo_coming.jpg[/IMG]

Until then, you can watch all the games on the playlist that are running.

Oh yeah, here's your link: http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3live.html

[/b]

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

9 am? Wtf... I'll be at work. ****it.

Posted by Big Boss

I'm watching the Sony one right now. I should've brought a portable toilet for this, 'CAUSE I'M ****ING MYSELF WITH EXCITEMENT!

Posted by boomstick

Can we still watch them after they're over or is it just live only?

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting boomstick: Can we still watch them after they're over or is it just live only?

Go to GameSpot. Right in the main page, click on the PS3 banner where it says "Watch it."

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Big Boss]

Ah, so I see, thanks Boss

Amazing press conference by Sony. It's quite long, but the time flew by. Everything was very interesting, even though the E3 crowd is *** awful. If I was there, I'd be clapping and cheering every couple minutes.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

lol vampiro, just lol. Everything is nice and professional and then you stand up cheering like if its a wrestling match. That would be so awesome xD

Posted by maian

Wtf, Nintendo's is tomorrow. I need some Zelda news. :)

I also want to know about X-box, and Perfect Dark Zero.

...That game better come out for Xbox original, and maybe I'll be able to find an Xbox cheap so I can play it. :(

Quoted post: ..That game better come out for Xbox original,

Is it just me... or is the Microsoft press conference just paino and nothing else?

Posted by brownoystercult

Quoting Vampiro: Amazing press conference by Sony. It's quite long, but the time flew by. Everything was very interesting, even though the E3 crowd is *** awful. If I was there, I'd be clapping and cheering every couple minutes.

i think i agree with every word said.

Posted by Big Boss

I just finished seeing all two hours of it, and WOW... just WOW.

Where to begin...

[list][*]The specs of the machine are anything but unimpressive. It truly outdoes the Xbox 360 in every imaginable way. For those who used to make fun of the PS2 for its weaker capabilities, well... you can shut up now, and bow.

[*]There's nothing like hearing well known developers like Square, Konami, Rockstar, and Insomniac selling the system as simply amazing, and having none other than Epic Games developers, the geniuses behind the continually, technically cutting edge Unreal Tournament, talk about how easy it is to develop for the PS3. For those who used to make fun of the PS2 for its EARLY issues with ease of development, well... you can shut up now, and bow.

[*]The demo with the Eye Toy and the ducks was jaw-dropping. OMG HE'S PICKING UP WATER WITH AN ACTUAL CUP IN THE GAME. HOLY ****!! Now THAT is using your different hardware to harmoniously work together for entertainment purposes. I can't wait for all the innovative ideas developers can have with the PS3 and Eye Toy combination.

[*]The PS3 has seven, SEVEN USB ports. SEVEN. You can connect so much crap in it, you may actually use the term "I can plug in a toaster." The best part about this is, YOU DO NOT NEED A MULTITAP ANYMORE! HAHAHA, not even with 4+ PLAYER GAMES... insane! For those who used to make fun of the PS2 for its requirement of a multitap for 4-player games, well... you can shut up now, and bow.

[*]EA impressed us all with how realistic a boxing fight can be on the PS3 with a demo of Final Fight: Round 3. I was absolutely impressed with how the boxer's emotions changed when he got angry and started going on the offensive, or how their faces looked after he got hammered. I can only imagine what fighting games will be able to do in the future... awesome.

[*]Strangely, they used a Dual Shock 2-looking controller for the demo. I wonder if the boomerang-with-buttons thing is just one of two options. I hope... DS2 should never be left behind. If the new controller sucks, then they'll likely do the whole Xbox thing with the S controller. It's still weird that it wasn't actually shown, though.

[*]But... all was secondary when the actual demos were shown. OH...MY...***... Killzone looks... sedklfhsdklfsdklf. There are just no words. It is truly the most impressive game on the bunch, as far as showing what the PS3 can do. I can't believe all of that was in real time. **** you, Killzone, now I look at my home consoles with a hint of disgust because of you!!

[*]Devil May Cry 4, Gran Turismo 5, Tekken 6, and the weird new games for the system, like Sony's Eyedentity (Was that it?) where you are constantly interacting with two hottie covert agents through the mic while seeing yourself in the game. That new FPS from Ubisoft that seems to have amazing aiming, as well as a couple of incredibly attractive feudal Japan games. Yeah, I'd say the games are covered, considering this list as well as words from Capcom's Keiji Inafune, Rockstar's Houser, Square's That Guy I Can't Remember and a slew of others.

[*]Speaking of Guy Whose Name I Can't Recall, what's with SquarEnix showing a ****ing tech demo of the Final Fantasy VII intro, and then saying "Please note, this is just a tech demo. Square has no plans to remake FFVII." What, do they hate us? We've been asking forever for a remake of FFVII, and they go ahead and make a recreated intro of that specific game which we want, only to tell us it won't be made. Couldn't he have picked another game, or are they just cruel, evil soulless bastards? GRRRRR.

Their FFXII trailer was awesome, though. With Dragon Quest VIII, Kingdom Hearts II and Final Fantasy XII all coming out, likely, by the end of the year, I think the PS2 will just evolve into G[color=yellowgreen]
od and give PS2 owners eternal life.

[*]METAL GEAR SOLID 4 ANNOUNCED FOR THE PS3. 'Nuff said.
[/list]

Congrats to Sony. I really don't see how Nintendo and Microsoft can top that, and Microsoft screwed up their unveiling of the Xbox 360 by showing it on MTV. Nintendo will likely have a weird and attractive system with Reggie being the same corporate *** who knows nothing about games saying he'll "kiss some *** and rape some names"... wait, is that how it went?[/color]

Posted by Hyper

Nah, MS didn't ruin the 360 with the MTV unveiling. It's the same system, just wasn't announced in the best way. It'll still be talked about a lot during E3.

And we don't know what Nintendo has up their sleeve yet - guess we'll all found out soon enough.

i think its final that sony wins with the best specs. its going to be **** hard for nintendo to top that of sony.

Quoted post: i think its final that sony wins with the best specs.

Indeed. After watching both press conferences, the PS3 easily takes the cake. The 360 can't even compare.

Though, Microsoft still says otherwise...

just got finished watching the microsoft conf. and it was pretty lame. trash compared to the playstation 3 conf. but i'm really looking forward to seeing what nintendo has to offer tomorrow.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Uchiha Itachi: just got finished watching the microsoft conf. and it was pretty lame. trash compared to the playstation 3 conf. but i'm really looking forward to seeing what nintendo has to offer tomorrow.

Did Microsoft already had its conference?

*Checks*

Oh, ****...

*Watches*

*Beating Street Fighter Alpha 3 today in hardest difficulty has kept him away from vg news*

*He wanted to point out he beat SFA3 in level 8, as he rules so much*

Quoted post: Did Microsoft already had its conference?

Yeah, even though the crowd was more energetic, it was kinda lame...

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Vampiro: Yeah, even though the crowd was more energetic, it was kinda lame...

I just saw the whole thing. The energetic crowd was the Microsoft one, filled with "cool young people" opposite the press. I was actually laughing through the entire thing as they were saying, "It's the most powerful console ever, anywhere, etc," or how they pride in having Square Enix... to make them nothing but a port of a PS2 and PC MMO. And for a moment, I swear, I thought DOA4 was an Xbox title, not a 360 title. It wasn't until the wrestling stage where I could see the game couldn't be done on an Xbox... but the characters themselves look and move like they would in a current console. Also, they didn't even bother to include more footage of Perfect Dark Zero, which is the only game I care to play for the 360 at the moment.

The controller looks good, though... and Microsoft took a page off Sony's kick *** Dual Shock 2 design and moved the white and black buttons as shoulder buttons. The possibilities of online gaming also look amazing, although the idea of people selling items they make themselves for games, like a t-shirt in Tony Hawk, is only asking for a bunch of non-gamers to treat Xbox Live like e-Bay.

Quoted post: I was actually laughing through the entire thing as they were saying, "It's the most powerful console ever, anywhere,

Ditto. I was thinking "didn't you watch the PS3 presentation?"

Quoted post: And for a moment, I swear, I thought DOA4 was an Xbox title, not a 360 title.

Hm, yeah. I thought that when they showed Ryu. There was pretty much no difference between him on the XB, and what they showed for the 360. Kind of a shame. The game still looks pretty fun though. I like the idea of fighting in traffic, though I don't want it to get too gimicky. I can see those types of things over-running certain stages making it impossible ot have a good fight.

Quoted post: Also, they didn't even bother to include more footage of Perfect Dark Zero, which is the only game I care to play for the 360 at the moment.

I'm not even sure about that game. It'll never live up to the hype, that's for sure. Also, it doesn't look good at all... or from what I saw anyways. Compared to the new Killzone and all the other PS3 games, it's sorta blah. Not much difference than other XB titles. Also, Kameo, or whatever the hell it's called, looks brutal. Though my hopes are high for Gears of War (though Killzone still looks a billion time better)

Quoted post: The controller looks good, though

I personally love the controller. It looks comfortable, sleek, et cetera. Plus, being able to use it as a remote on/off sorta thing is brilliant.

Quoted post:
The possibilities of online gaming also look amazing, although the idea of people selling items they make themselves for games, like a t-shirt in Tony Hawk, is only asking for a bunch of non-gamers to treat Xbox Live like e-Bay.

Don't you have to have a Gold membership to do that? Thus, why would Microsoft care? More money for them.

Oh, and what the hell was Allard talking about when he said a billion people? How the hell does he expect to get a billion people to buy a 360? Idiot.

Posted by Axis

[B]Got these spec comparisons from another site.

CPU: Cell (1 PPC + 7 units) vs X360 Cpu (three PPC cores)

X360 advantages and disadvantages
- much easier to program for 3 symmetric processors than an asymmetric processor
- strong single thread performance, but can only run limited number of threads
- multithreading is difficult to program for but NO WAY near as hard as for the cell
- Best described as a jack of all trades approach

Cell Advantages and disadvantages
- The cell is a massively parallel vector processor
- excellent for running multiple floating point tasks such as (game engine, encoding and decoding video)
- Difficult to program for -- ALL software has to be optimized
- Poor single thread performance
- NO hardware Branch prediction, Extremely poor at running complicated branched code (like A.I. code)
- Highly specialized approach, the cell is first and foremost an MULTIMEDIA processor that is best suited for HDTVs and a gaming consoles processor second. It offers extremes -- very good at running game engine, very poor at A.I. code.

GPU:

Today's top of the line 6800ultra has 16 pixel pipelines and 6 shader pipelines and is made up of 222 Million Transistors

X360 advantages and disadvantages
- ATI's next gen GPU (the R500) has a as unique architecture -- UNIFIED vertex/shader and pixel pipelines. It has 48 of these units that are automatically assigned a function
- Easier to program for but has a less higher theoretical peek than independet pipelines
- 10MB framebuffer that allows for "Free" anti-aliasing but limited resolution to 720P. For higher resolutions you "upsample"
- Unknown number of transistors (look for this number in the future)

PS3 GPU:
- officially stated to have 300 Million transistors with fixed pixel and vertex pipelines. Numbers not disclosed. If 6600GT is about 160 Million transistors, the 6800ultra 222 Million -- it is very likely that the PS3 GPU has 24 pixel pipelines and about 10-12 shader pipelines. I find it very easy to believe that the this GPU will be about twice as powerful as a 6800Ultra
- independent pipelines are faster BUT are harder to program for

Memory:

X360
512Mb of unified DDR3 memory with is shared by BOTH the GPU and CPU. Flexiablity is the obvious advantage. Disadvantage is that they have to be shared. Game developers can split the memory any way they like 50:50, 30:70 etc

PS3
256MB XRD for the cell
256MB DDR3 for the GPU

advantage is that the each has its own faster memory but each is limited to 256mb. While the CPU in the X360 can have a max of 512mb, the cell is stuck with 256mb.

Bandwidth:

X360

Posted by nich

yeah im pretty sure ninty said somthing like that. They must have something up their sleeves to say things like that, and they're so *** **** secretive about everything at their press confrence. makes me wonder what they're doing. but it cant be really amazing....can it?

Dyer: There's one thing you gotta remember... Sony likes to inflate their numbers. Most of those, as well as Microsoft's, will be no where near what it actually will be. They just use them to make them look good and get people hyped. Sure they'll be really powerful (Killzone 2), but not 35 time more powerful.

Anywho, good conference by Nintendo. I think I liked Sony's better, but it was ten times the greatness of Microsofts. Plus, they had a good crowd.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Vampiro: Anywho, good conference by Nintendo. I think I liked Sony's better, but it was ten times the greatness of Microsofts. Plus, they had a good crowd.

Heh, I was suprised when I went to IGN.com and they said Microsoft's conference was the best ticket in town.

Personally, Nintendo's conference bored me.

Quoted post: Heh, I was suprised when I went to IGN.com and they said Microsoft's conference was the best ticket in town.

It was. Everyone wanted to go which included press and young gamers. That's why it was the best ticket in town. PS3 was pretty much all press. You could tell just by looking at the way the two conferences were set up.

Posted by Axis

Ahhh, I see. I misunderstood, I thought they were saying it was the best. *shrugs*

All the conferences somewhat disappointed me.

Quoted post: All the conferences somewhat disappointed me.

I sorta see where you are coming from. Though they have never been fantastic. You have to look at them differently, not just from entertainment value. For example, look what happened with Microsoft, they tried to be entertaining and be down with the kids and failed miserably. Both Nintendo and Sony are said to have very boring shows. So, you can't look at them from an entertainment stand point. You have to consider who had what, who revealed more, and who had the most impressive presentation. Sony was very business like, though they strayed from their scheduel... which is good. They had almost two hours and went through a **** load of info. I learned the most from their conference and was truly blown away, which is why they eaisly take first place. Nintendo is a mix between Sony and Microsofts conferences. They were business-like, yet were also laid back, laughing on stage, cracking jokes, and supposedly had two dogs humping each other (with Miyamoto cracking a sexual joke afterwards). But they also revealed a lot. Two new systems, tons of games and of course had Twilight Princess. Easily taking second place. Last and least, Microsoft. They ruined it by trying to hard. We all had seen the system for about a month, and we already knew all there was to know, so there was no suprises whatsoever, and barely any new info.

I can't remember who said it, but someone said "Microsoft makes you need it, Sony makes you want it, and Nintendo leaves you scratchning your head".

Posted by Big Boss

I just finished watching the pre-E3 Nintendo press conference. I couldn't watch it live as I was saving a kitty (no joke).

Anyway...

[list][*]Satoru Iwata is a funny guy. Even though he's the king of contradiction, at least he's likeable, unlike the loony, retired Yamauchi.

[*]The portable stuff was just sleep-inducing. It's amazing that Sony's conference was the least about flair and shallowness and more about hardcore facts and content. With that said, I certainly did not appreciate the DJ or that girl from the as-much-as-MTV-is-about-music gaming network G4. Although, whatever those Nintendogs were doing off screen must've been pretty funny.

[*]Like Microsoft, Nintendo made a point to please the "untapped" non-gamer market. How both companies have been so determined to attract the casual and non-gamer to their side, it leads me to believe that their numbers say the hardcore gamer is already overtaken by Sony's consoles. Well, d'oh... about time you figured it out. And while Nintendo may attract girls with Nintendodogs (Or whatever), it will be the new franchises of Revolution that could draw crowds of new gamers.

[*]The Game Boy Micro... ugh... when will Nintendo ever stop making 20 versions of the same freakin' handheld? At least they finally admitted that the PSP is indeed competing with them... which contradicts what Nintendo has said in the past... BUT... it's Nintendo we're talking about here. You have to give the company a little leeway when it's common of them to change their minds about something.

[*]Funniest bit of the day: Nintendo announcing its partnership with GameSpy for the online capabilities of Revolution and DS. I was like, "Oh, you little crazy Nintendo dog you" as they picked one of the worst companies to handle online gaming. I guess when you are new to something, you have to accept mistakes. But Ninty... come on... anyone else could've done better. GameSpy?

[*]After poser Reggie reminded us that they can only compete with a home console by way of a monopoly-driven portable device, we were finally treated with info of the Nintendo Revolution. Ah... a plain box. Black and blue, like the PS2. It looks plain, so hopefully they'll make it look better like they did with the DS. Sadly, nothing concrete was said about the system. Too many secrets Nintendo. It's not healthy.

[*]WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, the best news piece of the show was the announcement that the NR would allow you to download every NES, SNES and N64 game. That really made me smile WIIIIIIIIDEEEEEEE. It's certainly exciting, though I can't help but wonder about the details. How much would it cost to download a game? Would they be downloadable in groups? Would any old third-party games be available for download?

[*]Moving on, some guy tells us how much of a success the GCN has been in the States with over 400+ games out there, over 10 million units sold, and 60... listen closely... 60 GAMES FOR RELEASE LATER THIS YEAR! I thought he was just a standup guy giving a little humor to the audience, but no... he was actually praising these numbers... which only made me laugh more.

[*]After some forgettable videos and the disappointing news that Mario will start in anything but his own game for the remaining existence of the 'Cube, we were treated to a new trailer of Zelda. In the beginning, it was very cool. Dark. Moody. Mysterious... AND THEN LINK TURNS INTO A WOLF!

WHAT?

WHAT!?

Joking aside, I literally cried out in pain as I watched some anorexic-looking creature ride Link like a horse. I needed a tissue, because I was afraid Nintendo would add some weird crap that might ruin the game. Thankfully, there were mostly clips of Link kicking ass as AN ACTUAL BIPED! At least furries will now be looking forward to the game, with their tails playfully moving across their hairy backs.[/list]

At least the show was 10 times better than that of Microsoft, which was filled with so much disappointment. Still, no new kick ass game from Nintendo this year that hasn't already been announced, and no descriptive footage of what Revolution can do. Sony basically bulldozed with content in yet another E3. No surprise there, though.