PS2 DVD Compatibility

Posted by Sean Fury

All right, I got my PS2 in like, the first year it came out, and at first, it played my DVDs awesome and perfectly. Now, even if I can get a DVD to work on the **** thing, it skips, sound is messed up, and it just sucks.

Does anyone have any solutions to this?

I was even thinking of selling it, using the profit to buy the Xbox DVD compliance thing, and just wait until the PS3 comes out next year to play my PS2 games again. But I don't know =/

Posted by Arczu

Yipe... The early models of the PS2 have old DVD versions. If possible (which may, or may not be), try to get a new one. (trade... or sell, then buy).

Posted by Boner

Maybe it's just old and needs to be replaced. They don't last forever. If it was a compatibility issue, I would think that it wouldn't play a DVD at all. The fact that you can, along with the fact that it skips and sounds messed up, leads me to believe that the system itself is glitching out. On the same note, I noticed with my older PS2 that I could not play any demo games (ones on the "blue" disks) on it. It made a sound as if it caused my PS2 pain just to try and read the disk. Now that I have the current model, everything runs just fine. Either way, a new system should fix the problem.

Posted by bazariah

failing that if the dvd based games (silver bottoms) are running ok and it's just dvd movies that have the problem buy a normal dvd player

another idea though is to buy a can of compresed air, simply spray into the drive then leave over night, if it's still funny after say twenty four hours with movies then just dont play movies on it, anyways the quality sux via the ps2's inbuilt dvd player

Posted by omegga

Quoting Sean Fury: All right, I got my PS2 in like, the first year it came out, and at first, it played my DVDs awesome and perfectly. Now, even if I can get a DVD to work on the **** thing, it skips, sound is messed up, and it just sucks.

Does anyone have any solutions to this?

I was even thinking of selling it, using the profit to buy the Xbox DVD compliance thing, and just wait until the PS3 comes out next year to play my PS2 games again. But I don't know =/

i have the same problem, it gets like 10 minute into the film, stops then says "disk unreadable"!! an i've spoke to some of my friends an they have similar problems, i think they're just not built to last..., i'm probably just gonna sell mine an wait for the PS3.

Posted by Arczu

Although the PS2's DVD capabilities are good, I wouldn't consider it being the only use, not by a long shot.

3/4 into every movie, there is a distinct pause between the chapter chapter change. I can't explain it, but it's a 2 second pause... kinda noticable.

Posted by helpimstuckinabox

You might be able to buy a PS2 remote and use the included software to upgrade to the lastest DVD driver.
v.2.12 can play some discs that my regular DVD player can't!

Posted by mo_rphe_us

I find that cleaning the disk and putting it back in often solves the problem and it dosent occur again after this...

Posted by Crazy K

Its not the DVD, its the PS2. You probably have the Disc read error. So you probably need to fix that. All you got to do is take your PS2 apart (go to g4techtv.com or whatever it is and try to find the "how to fix the PS2 disc read error".

Anyways after you take your system apart you will need a cutip to clean the Lasor lens. you can use a plain cutip of use a cutip with rubbing alcohol. Thats all I can say, but best of luck fixing your PS2. Or whatever.

Posted by psp

We had the same problem. I just traded in my ps2 for 85 dollars at gamestop and bought a new one. that was like 7 months ago though, so i dont know how much they pay now. i think you should just trade it in to a gamestore and get a ps2 mini. Or u can just buy a 40 or 50 dollar dvd player.

Posted by Crazy K

I think Fixing it is much easier. I thought I was going to break it, but I risked it and It was easier the fix then I thought. All you got to do is unscrew the top and such then unscrew the CD area. Simple as that. But I had the older version and I fixed my sisters (newer PS2 version, not PStwo) and it was much more different.

Anyways go to that g4techtv.com and look for the disc read error and try to fix it with the help they give you.

Actually here it is (here are the directions oh how to fix it):

What you need
Part 1 or Page 1:

Before attempting the fix described below, read through this guide completely in order to familiarize yourself with the steps involved. Once that is done, gather the following items.
Standard Phillips screwdriver
#0 Phillips screwdriver (or eyeglass-sized)
Cotton swabs
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
Felt-tip pen or marker

Optional cleaning tools.
Vacuum
Can of compressed air

PS2 Tip No. 1: It's best to use a vacuum for cleaning the dust from electronic devices. Wiping the surface or dusting with compressed air may force contaminants inside of the device, making things worse.

Screws and stickers

Before you do anything, disconnect the PS2's power and video connections. On the bottom of the PS2 are 10 square-shaped screw covers. Four of these double as rubber feet for the PS2 (when the device is laying flat.) Remove these covers to access and remove the screws. Some of the screws will be longer/shorter than the others so keep track of what goes where.

Removing the case

Once you've removed the screws, it's time to break the seal and completely void whatever warranty you may have had. Seriously, there is a "warranty seal" sticker near the PS2's power connector that must be removed in order to gain entrance to the innards of the beast.

With the screws removed and the warranty sticker "void," gently turn the PS2 right side up. Carefully remove the top cover by lifting the back edge and pulling it toward the front of the unit until it clears the controller jacks as well as the front of the disc tray.

You'll notice a metallic ribbon or white wires (depending on your PS2's age) connecting the main base to the eject/play buttons on the top cover. Remove the tape that normally holds this wire in place and set the top cover off to the side. Don't try to disconnect the ribbon/wires. There should be enough slack for the cover to lie off to the side.

Before moving on to the disc tray cover, now is a good time to blow out the dust that has collected around the fan and main circuit board. A can of compressed air will do the job nicely.

Toward the back of the PS2, behind the laser, is a white gear about 0.75-inches in diameter. This gear adjusts the distance between the disc surface and the laser's eye. It's also the key to fixing a PS2 that frequently suffers from disc read errors (DREs.) On the left side of the white gear will be a notched metal tab or a smaller brass-colored gear.

Use a felt-tip pen to mark the white gear at the point it contacts the tab/smaller gear. This provides a reference point for the original position of the gear as we prepare to make our adjustment(s). Now would be a good time to gently clean the laser's eye using a cotton swab dampened with a bit of rubbing alcohol.

Adjusting the gear position in order to fix DREs involves the following steps.
Turn the white gear a notch or two (clockwise or counterclockwise)
Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
Insert a DVD
If it works, insert a purple game disc
If it works, insert an audio CD
If all threework, you are finished.

If any of the disc types fail to be read follow these steps.
Eject the disc
Remove the disc tray cover
Move the gear a notch or two (perhaps in the other direction)
Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
Retest until all three disc types are properly detected

Once you have correctly positioned the gear and all disc types are reading properly, reassemble your PS2 and get gaming!

This guide describes how to adjust the distance between the disc surface and laser pickup. I have read reports of DREs being caused by improper laser voltage levels, and this fix will do nothing for that type of problem. DREs caused by an incorrect gap between the laser and disc appear more common with early PS2 units, as they used a small spinning gear as the stop rather than the notched tab found in later models.

Also, this fix will not remedy a disc-specific playback problem. My PS2 was among the first batch released in the United States, and I have since "upgraded" it with Sony'sPlayStation 2DVD remote that includes the V2.10DVD software. I've noticed numerous playback issues have disappeared since applying this software upgrade.

If your PS2 doubles as your primaryDVD player, Sony's remote/software is worth the $15 to $20. Unfortunately, it requires a sacrifice of just over 2MB on a memory card in order to store the update.

There ya go thats all you should need to fix your PS2's disc read error :)

Posted by MichiyoYoshiku

PS2=Garbage I keep telling the girl that runs Brown's Anime Club that if she keeps playing DVDs on it that it will die. She hasn't listened to me.

Not that the XBOX DVD playback is much better but they don't just suddenly DIE.

My Advice: Buy a good region free player from these people:

http://www.regionfreedvd.net/

Use your PS2 for Games only.

Posted by vgmaster13

DVDS on the PS2 just suck and should not be played on it cause you should just buy one of those cheap dvd players rather then using the ealier models of the PS2 cause i tried to watch office space on my ps2 one time and it just kept flashing on the screen in short bursts. So just buy a cheap dvd player rather then the ps2

Posted by steve9842005

i had the same exact problem with my ps2. i got it rite when it came out and then the games and dvds would stop working and would say disc read error. i found out that the problem was that the driver was out of date so i jus traded it in and got money.