Sonic CD

Posted by Boba Fett

I am looking to get this game, but should I get it for my PC? Or should I get a Sega CD system, and get it for that? Also, is the game any good?

Posted by Prince Redon

I don't know, I would probably end up getting it for PC so that I could play it while doing whatever online...But I'm not sure if one is better than the other.

I havn't played it, but I have basically heard mixed opinions from people who have, so I can't quite tell you for sure.

Posted by Arczu

I have it. Let me tell you:

This game has the same elements of gameplay as the first Sonic the Headgehog game does. There is a spindash (you have to wait untill it's fully charged), and a superdash (hold up, then press jump button).

Time travel exists in this game. When you run past a sign saying "Future" or "Past", you can time-travel to a pre-historic or futuristic version of the level by running at a high speed for a period of time.

It's a fun game. I haven't played it in awhile. It looks A LOT like Sonic 1, so don't expect anything too fancy graphics-wise. This game... well I'm not sure how it stacks up. You would be pretty lucky to have the original version of this game. Another thing is that collecting the chaos emeralds features an interesting 3-Dimensional stage where you knock down UFO's (neatto).

You may or may not like this game. That's a grey area depensing on how much you like the first Sonic game (which I refer to a lot because they ARE VERY similar in mechanics and graphics). The story... I haven't actually figured out what the real story was behind this one...

Posted by Prince Redon

Hm, it sounds good...But I can only imagine his next question will be what he should get it for. Do happen to know Arczu? (To be honest, I'm sort of interested also)

Posted by Linko_16

If you can find it for Sega CD, go ahead, 'cause it's probably the only chance you'll ever get. Otherwise, save yourself a lot of time and play on the computer. Either way, it's an awesome game. If you have the Sonic Mega Collection, be sure to treat yourself to the full-length beginning movie in high resolution. If you haven't already, though, I suggest you don't watch the end until you beat the game!

Posted by Prince Redon

Hm, I wonder if I can download it off of Ares. ;)

Anyway, I know where I can get one. There is this tore near me called CD's and More. I have seen it several times before, but I have yet to buy it...Wait...Why havn't I?!

Posted by bazariah

get it on sega cd, it's the only true way to enjoy it

i used to have two copies of the game personally, only one now though.. i sold one to a guy who works for RARE :D via ebay last year

Posted by Linko_16

Like I said... if you can get it for Sega CD, what are you doing here and not out getting it?

Posted by Arczu

I havent seen a Sega CD system in my LIFE.

He's right. If possible, get it that way... unless you like conveniance.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

yeah, that was probably because sega saturn and the dreamcast didnt last very long. unlucky.

get the game for a sega console buddy. it will be better to play on and more enjoyable as it would be on a original conscole.

Posted by Boba Fett

Yes.... I guess I agree with all of you, and thank you for your help. I did read though that the PC verison has the entire FMV anime intro and ending sequence, and the Sega CD version only had part of the intro and ending sequence.

I dunno, I might get it for Sega CD, I want to get a Sega CD system sometime anyhow.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Arczu]
Quoting Boba Fett:
I dunno, I might get it for Sega CD, I want to get a Sega CD system sometime anyhow.

I found a [URL=http://www.segalife.com/articles/display.cgi?display=227&type=1]review[/URL] over it.

Also, I found somewhere to [URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8192227856&rd=1]buy[/URL] it.

Posted by Jo-Jo-The-Hedgie

Im not shore u can get sega CD's anymore. But if you can get sonic CD dont think the graphics will be great!

Posted by GameMiestro

Theres a Sonic collection on the Gamecube that has it.

Posted by Arczu

Quoting Linko_16: Sonic Mega Collection...
That's it. I played Sonic CD on it recently and the music really was something. Tidal Tempest is still cool as hell.

I actually direct ripped the entire soundtrack off of my original Sonic CD disc just the other day - Palmtree Panic (Bad Future) is abolutely one of the best songs in the history of gaming.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Uhh. Sonic CD is on the Sonic Gems Collection, not the Mega Collection.

And the PC version did have the full-length anime intro, which rocked to all hell. That 'sonic boom' music track - I couldn't get it out of my head for ages. In fact, I can probably still remember the lyrics if I try hard enough.
It also had the best story out of any Sonic game - one that was a cornerstone of the Egmont Fleetway comic, if I remember rightly.

The only problem with the PC version - at least, the one that I have - is that it doesn't work with Windows XP, even in compatibility mode. I do want to get another copy of it, though, because it was extremely good, and the special stages were second only to Sonic 2's.

I also had a Mega CD once. I think I sold it for a tenner. :)

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Wings]I couldn't get it out of my head for ages. In fact, I can probably still remember the lyrics if I try hard enough.
SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING FASTER!
TO SAVE THE PLANET FROM DISASTER!

Oh man, Sonic CD was my favourite in the series but I have no idea why. Maybe it was the whole time travel thing and the option to get a "good future". I should dig it out again next time I'm home.

Quoting Klarth: SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING

GOTTA KEEP RUNNING

(SONIC BOOM, SONIC BOOM, SONIC BOOM)

For some reason, it reminds me of Sonic Reducer by the Dead Boys. I don't know whether it's the tune or the word Sonic, though.

Posted by Zeta

If you're strong, you can fly,
you can reach the other side of the rainbow.
It's alright, take a chance,
'cause there is no circumstance
that you can't handle (when you use your mind)

Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom (trouble
keeps you runnin' faster)
Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Somic Boom (save the
planet from disaster)

Through the dark, to the light
It's a super sonic flight
gotta keep it goin'

planet from disaster)
Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom (spinnin'
though the world in motion)
Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Booooom...

I love that song.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/willeth/5AEF0030.jpg[/IMG]

Just saw this in a shop today, and thought of you guys. It's just under £100.

Posted by Sparkle the hedgehog

Quoting Boba Fett: I am looking to get this game, but should I get it for my PC? Or should I get a Sega CD system, and get it for that? Also, is the game any good?
Yeah it is great you should get it!

Wazzup sonic people!i need an awnser!I really think that i needs a new sega CD but my parents are all f*** dat just buy if for computer! do i buy it?

If you only want Sonic CD, don't get either - the PC version doesn't work on XP, and the Sega CD version is extremely expensive.

The game is, however, on the GameCube, Xbox and PS2 in the Sonic Gems Collection, which you should be able to pick up preowned.

Posted by Arczu

Something bothers me... I was watching some videos of people speedrunning the game, and the music for each stage was different. Is the music on the Sega CD system different from the PC version?

Man you gotta get it for sega CD!You can enjoy it cuz it ain`t pirated!

Quoting Zeta: If you're strong, you can fly,

planet from disaster)

gotta keep it goin'

planet from disaster)

I love that song.
Ah yeah!it is wiked!

Quoting Wings: If you only want Sonic CD, don't get either - the PC version doesn't work on XP, and the Sega CD version is extremely expensive.

The game is, however, on the GameCube, Xbox and PS2 in the Sonic Gems Collection, which you should be able to pick up preowned.
It ain`t expensive when your parents own a memorobilia store!

Well - true. I'd just like to point out that the PC version isn't pirated - it's a Sega product. You can pick it up in the bargain bins or on a bargain label for around $3-5.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Zeta]If you're strong, you can fly,

planet from disaster)

gotta keep it goin'

planet from disaster)

I love that song.

For some strange reason, I imagine that should be sung to the tune of the Spider Man theme song.

Hah, I can totally see that. I'll email you the opening AVI file for SCD if you want, I've got it somewhere.

While I'm at it - the music for Sonic CD was different in Japan than in the US, but Europe got the Japanese music (probably because the US version was rated lower than the Japanese on in a lot of mags simply because of that). Instead of Sonic Boom, Japan had tracks called 'You Can Do Anything' and 'Cosmic Eternity'.

However, the music for the PC version of Sonic CD in Europe got the American soundtrack. This is odd.

I should also have the Japanese music somewhere at home. This is because it was bundled with Sonic the Hedgehog Screensaver, which in turn came with Sonic 3 and Knuckles for PC - which I have. Unfortunatley I'm not at home, but I'll ask my parents to keep an eye out for it, even though it's been a while since I've seen it.

Posted by Arczu

Quoting Wings]Hah, I can totally see that. I'll email you the opening AVI file for SCD if you want, I've got it somewhere.
Holy crap. I head some of the music that was playing in the bad future of Metal Madness. It was kicking big time.

Oh, uh - I don't know if I have that. I mean just the different music for the opening videos. As far as I know, the BGM in both games were the same, it was the intro music that was different.

But yeah. Files winging their way to you.

Posted by Arczu

It can't be... because I have the PC version and the music is, well what it is right now. But the music was completely different when I played it at someone elses house.

Posted by Kahanna Higurashi

I need help!my parents won`t let me get Sonic CD for my new Sega CD! Where can I find it?

If they won't let you get it, we're not going to help you defy them. Why on earth won't they let you get it?

I geuss your right...Why help her?

I know why!!Mom doesen`t want her little Kahnna playing too many games to ruin her little mind,even if she`s seventeen years old.Isn`t that right,sis?

Posted by Arczu

Or some other non-apparent reason that doesn't seem visible at this time.

The japanese version of Sonic CD has completely different music. In fact, the music is actually related to the theme you hear when you are in the Past. It carries over to the Present and future sort-of. Must do more research!

And dang! When I heard the japanese music to the opening, I was like WOMG THIS ROCKS!! I listned to it 3 times over before really setting down on the greatness.

http://sonicboomgetlostnoob.ytmnd.com

that freaked the hell outta me when i heard it

Posted by MaeveTheBlackAngel

Does anyone here fear the Tails doll?

Posted by Zeta

No. Though I have heard that fear of Tails' counterpart is quite common.

Posted by MaeveTheBlackAngel

Yes, he is totally scary, and I totally hope he won`t one day rule the Sonic world.....

Awwwww, poor baby Maeve is scared by Tails doll
http://www.cursedtailsdoll.ytmnd.com
this should only cause growing fear for the widdle baby

Haha, that's so awesome.

yeah, i know it`s funny

Posted by darkwhispers

U people got WAAY off topic. oh well. hey can anyone sell me a copy of that sCD game?

This is the best sonic game in existance.

Yes, I own the OST and two copies of it.

Posted by Klarth

Seconded. The soundtrack was ****ing AMAZING. Metallic Madness good future = whoa

I agree with you, the soundtrack is amazing, Sandy Cressman, the voice beheind the Sonic Boom, is my aunt

Posted by Klarth

prove it

Posted by Arczu

Quoting Klarth: Seconded. The soundtrack was ****ing AMAZING. Metallic Madness good future = whoa

Try Bad Future. Sounds pretty neat too.

Man... I SOOO want to listen to it. Each sage had song variations, but they were related. Not only that but I want to hear the REAL Sonic CD opening, I keep hearing how awesome it is.

EDIT: Alright I'm conviced, I'll buy the OST if I ever see it. Samples keep moving me towards them.

Posted by Zeta

http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/3325

'sup?

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Zeta: http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/3325

'sup?

i love you.

Posted by darkwhispers

so NE 1 able to get a Scd copy or wat

Posted by Arczu

Quoting Zeta: http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/3325

'sup?

A: Awesomeness can't describe what this has just presented. This is ***LY. (probably could have died there)

B: Glad to see other people celebrate other's birthdays. Thanks a truckload.

C: The CD(s) is so rare, who knows if you ever can find it. I wish I'd known about it a few years ago. Man I SOO want it now!

Quoting Arczu]
B: Glad to see other people celebrate other's birthdays. Thanks a truckload.

C: The CD(s) is so rare, who knows if you ever can find it. I wish I'd known about it a few years ago. Man I SOO want it now!
[/size]

By the way, that's the Jap version's soundtrack. US soundtrack is equally amazing.

[url]www.sendspace.com%2Ffile%2F3omcu1[/url]

Quoting Wings: If you'd read the thread you'd know that's not the original opening. Gawd.

Die. It is in my world.

Posted by tonilovekelly

Thanks, I like very much