goldeneye engine

Posted by Illyria110

my friend and I were reading a nintendo magizine a few years after goldeneye came out for n64 and it said they were making a new goldeneye, im not certain, but i believe the title of the game was going to be goldeneye engine, does anyone remember this or were we just mistaken?

Posted by Dexter

I remember there used to be numerous rumors concerning a Goldeneye 007 sequel that were spreading around like a petition, but that happens frequently, especially with popular games.

Posted by Boba Fett

There is a supposed sequal that recently came out, Goldeneye Rogue Agent by EA. Although I heard this game really has nothing to do with the first game.

Posted by Dexter

It doesn't, really. Keep in mind that the company Rare (Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, Star Fox Adventures, Perfect Dark) are responsible for the Goldeneye game that we have come to admire so much, not EA. EA has the license to Bond, so they have been excessively producing Bond games ever since Rare made 007.

Posted by Megatron

Quoting Illyria110: my friend and I were reading a nintendo magizine a few years after goldeneye came out for n64 and it said they were making a new goldeneye, im not certain, but i believe the title of the game was going to be goldeneye engine, does anyone remember this or were we just mistaken?

It turned into Perfect Dark.

Posted by Klarth

it wasn't called "Goldeneye Engine". It was bound to have simply been an article about a game being released that utilised the Goldeneye game engine. The only game to have used the same engine as Goldeneye was Perfect Dark.

Posted by Illyria110

ooooh, ok that clears up a lot

Posted by crimsoncinder

I remeber hearing about it. But I thought it was only a rumor

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Majesty: The only game to have used the same engine as Goldeneye was Perfect Dark.

I thought TimeSplitters 2 used it?

Posted by Klarth

Don't think so... After parts of Rare disbanded, some of the employees formed Free Radical, so there were some obvious similarities there due to people like Kenneth Lobb working on it. I think a lot of the Goldeneye-ish elements were carried across, but I'm not sure about the actual source code. Might have to look that one up, though, could be wrong.

Posted by Bradders

The game in discussion was first referred to as the next game from Rare which will be using the same engine as Goldeneye. Because Rare lost the 007 License they had to make the sequel non-007. This therefore became Perfect Dark. It

Posted by Dexter

Did they really lose the license? How did that all play out. It seems to me that Goldeneye was such a great success that they wouldn't want Rare to cease action.

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

Quoting Dexter: Did they really lose the license? How did that all play out. It seems to me that Goldeneye was such a great success that they wouldn't want Rare to cease action.

Well, of course, EA got the license... hence TWINE.