Whenever you play games, do you think of how it was made? Like coding, and more?

Posted by Kopaka

Like do you think about what the coding must be, and automatically figure it out? Do you think about the character models and animations? And the lighting? Do you think about how the game was made in every way?

I am like that. And I hate it. I just want to enjoy the game, but whenever I play, I can't stop thinking about how it was made, and how it was coded or anything like that.

It is annoying. So does anyone else think about this kind of crap when they play games as well?

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I never really used to until I started playing around with the RPG Makers.

Posted by Corrupt

Moved to General Gaming Chat.

And no, when I play a game, I just simply play it and enjoy it. Although sometimes I'll ponder the creator's motive for making the game how it is, or something like that. That's why I've always wanted to meet people like Yuji Naka and Miyamoto to ask them what inspired them to make the games they made.

Posted by Fate

Since I'm an aspiring computer animator, I focus on looks quite a bit. It's annoying when I can tell how many frames are missing.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Angelwing: I never really used to until I started playing around with the RPG Makers.

[COLOR=Yellow]Exactly. After playing RPG Maker, whenever i play a new RPG i think of the hell developers have to go through setting up all the events in the game. You get a feel of how difficult a game like KotOR is to make.[/COLOR]

Posted by inequity

I think about that kind of stuff all the time. It started with metroid prime/echoes. I kept wondering how difficult it was to make all those lighting effects and AI and how exactly they did it so well.

Posted by Dexter

I pull this process more often while watching films. The more I know about it, the more I think about, and thus, typically, the more I enjoy it. I am fairly ignorant when it comes to how games are made, with engines and codes, so I don't often ponder such things while indulging in the adventure, although I don't think it would bother me much if I did so.

Posted by G-Sides

Not really. Like when I'm reading a game review/preview in a magazine and they're talking about stuff like "...and made with the same graphics engine used for Dead Or Alive 3...", etc, I usually don't care. As long as it plays good, I don't worry about other things.

Posted by MaineRapKingB

I find myself thinking about the way the game was made far too often I believe. Even to the point where I dont enjoy the game. I plan on making them one day, but I always wonder how I would feel about them after I have the ability to completely strip them bare. Or if I make a really really great game but can't play it because I know everything that will happen. I've heard music producers say that sometimes they dont enjoy songs because the whole time they are thinking "Yeah yeah, I know how they did that, or I know how to do that." Thats the only thing that scares me about going into the business.

Posted by Demonblade

I have to admit there were many of times that i can recall where i pondered the creation of the game i was playing. It most usually occurs when im playing RPG's. I hasnt happened too much recently, but back in the day when i was an aspiring video game desingner (eh...rpg maker, but hey...its actually what i wanted to do w/ my life) i would most definately get stuck pondering why the creators did things they way they did. Like in suikoden 4 for example, why did they make the main character run like such a goofy bastard. and maybe kingdom hearts...why did they choose a keyblade...i know its fits in with the story, or IS the story rather...but seems kinda immature. of course i am talking about a video game chock full of disney characters that is :). Perhaps on a more serious note, i have wondered how the creators of morrowind did such a fantastic job of rendering the water...that was quite frankly unbelievable the first 100 times i played it and it still amazes me to this day. I dunno...i guess my mind wanders while i play games and i start to think of retarded things eh?

Posted by bazariah

i do it all the time, and it's not just games it's everything, movies and music included

Posted by crimsoncinder

Sometimes, but not normally

Posted by neonmole

[COLOR=DarkOrange]As I am hoping to one day go into the game animation and graphics industry I tend to think about animation and design quite a lot. I don't really understand all the coding that's involved though.[/COLOR]

Posted by Big Boss

Absolutely. I'm in school because of that. We had a programmer from the Xbox version of Doom 3, Mr. Shepard, (currently working on Quake IV, AWESOME!) give us a taste of what the Doom 3 engine was all about. It's truly amazing, and even though right now we're dealing with a basic C++ game with fake fog effects, being here makes you appreciate and honor even more what it takes to make a videogame. Now I look at games from a programming point of view, which is good and bad.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, constantly. I'm always spotting blurry textures, polygon joins, working out how AI works and whatnot. I'd really like to play a game that's so seamless I don't even know whats going on behind the scenes, probably won't happen though :(

Posted by Demonblade

Its difficult to ignore such things and sometimes it leads you to apprecieate the game more.

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

I always did,but now I do a lot more since I started to mess with RPG Maker,now it just happens all the time.

Posted by LagunasSweetling

I always think about it.. It amazes me, and boggles my mind. It is an inspiration to me as an artist!