Evangelion

Posted by Poison

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/PsionicXero/Evangelion03.jpg[/IMG]
I have many animes

Posted by Big Boss

I love Evangelion so much, I bought 6 of the 8 DVD discs separately, and then got the box set when it came out, and that is after seeing the series about 20 times through in Spanish on TV. I love Evangelion so much, I will (when I have ridiculous amount of money... sometime) buy the new platinum series of the show.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is simply the best anime series, ever. I've been watching anime since before I knew it was called "anime," since before I could speak a coherent sentence... and I have yet to see any top it. It's equivalent to what Metal Gear Solid is to video games. Even if you don't like it, you have to experience it.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

You guys didn't even say anything about Evangelion except that its kool and has an awesome ending :( And Big Boss, holy hell, thats... a nice way to put it in o_o

Yea, Poison, you were bored. I get it.

Posted by Poison

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.1:
Yea, Poison, you were bored. I get it.

I wasn

Posted by boomstick

I've always wanted to watch this anime because I've never heard anything negative about the series outside of a displeasing ending, but alot of anime have that problem.

Hope to check it out soon.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Yeah, same. I've been meaning to get ahold of it. Possibly this summer.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting boomstick: I've always wanted to watch this anime because I've never heard anything negative about the series outside of a displeasing ending, but alot of anime have that problem.

Hope to check it out soon.

You probably heard it from people that were talking about the original episodes 25 and 26, which several people disliked. See, for reasons raging from a limited budget near the end to a necessity to give the show a conclusion, these two episodes lacked any action or coherent flow. While they do provide an interesting way to end the series, for its philosophical views, it's really no way to end such an emotional show (You'll see why). So, ubergenius creator of EVA Hideaki Anno, heard the complaints and remade the episodes with a much different ending. The Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion movies became the true ending of the show, and it's one that is pretty graphic and strong, giving fans more than what they asked for. I was certainly satisfied, and at the same time asked for more.

I loved the ending. I watched the fansub before it came to America and my jaw remained dropped for the better part of a month, and later got the DVDs when they came out.

Posted by Klarth

I own the eight-dvd box set and the Manga release of End of Evangelion. The series was indeed *excellent*, but I still prefer Saikano... End of Evangelion, on the other hand, is very easily the best thing I've ever watched.

Very well done in my opinion. Excellent characters, and I loved the way that it was based on a collection of psychological theories the whole way through, as well as the dead sea scrolls.

Posted by Death-By-Minnow

I can say nothing that hasn't already been said. Evangelion is indefinitely the King of Anime.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Big Boss]
End, by itself is a pretty decent movie, but I just felt it didn't really answer the questions that I had about the series and the very end just didn't seem to make sense.
SPOILER AHEAD:

Okay, in the end after Shinji appears on the beach or whatever/wereever he might be he sees Rei standing on the LCL sea, he blinks and Rei's gone and then begins to choke Asuka, she reaches up and shokes his face, he stops and as he cries, she looks at him and says "I feel sick" and it ends......

I don't get it, so many questions:
1. How did Asuka get bandaged up and by whom, when SELEE's EVA's attacked and destroyed her EVA and her(We're lead to think, anyway), there's no one around to tend to her.
2.If she were still alive why didn't she as well become part of the LCL sea, how was she immune.
3.Are Shinji and Asuka even on Earth? After he wakes up, it shows several scenes from Earth, but it doesn't really make it clear if there on Earth or the Black Moon.
4.Did Shinji really love Asuka or Rei, he professes love several times to Asuka in his mind, but he sees Rei right before he chokes Asuka, is he choking her because he hates her and/or wishes Rei was with him instead or is he making sure Asuka is real?

That's my questions over the end, though I will tell you, I didn't watch Death & Rebirth, I was told it was a waste.

END SPOILERS

Overall, though, Neon Gensis Evangelion is easily one of the best Anime of all time and, like the many others you've probably heard from, I definately recommend you check it out.

10/10 for the series, easily.

7/10 for End Of Evangelion, if you watch the series through you might as well check this out, too.

Posted by Poison

Quoting boomstick: 1. How did Asuka get bandaged up and by whom, when SELEE's EVA's attacked and destroyed her EVA and her(We're lead to think, anyway), there's no one around to tend to her.

Remember when Shinji first saw Rei? Remember her bandages? Well, that

Posted by boomstick

[QUOTE=Poison]Remember when Shinji first saw Rei? Remember her bandages? Well, that

Posted by Pit

Okay, Evangelion is alright, but it's not the greatest anime ever. That spot is reserved for Dragonball Z.

Posted by sabre

I only got the first three episodes of it, unfortunately. Very good from what I saw, but I really need to watch further into it.

Posted by Poison

Quoting boomstick: So it's just symbolic, period, no explaintion.

Well, there may be other meanings, but that

Posted by Arczu

Quoting Pit: Okay, Evangelion is alright, but it's not the greatest anime ever. That spot is reserved for Dragonball Z.

Careful where you say that... some purists would come after you with an Ax from what I hear! (Though I doubt it)

Geez, I've been walking past this one in stores all the time. Seeing this thread now, the next time I see the collection of these DVD's I will own them. I didn't know how good the series was. I never heared anything bad about the show as well. It must be worth the $ up front.

Posted by boomstick

[QUOTE=Poison]Well, there may be other meanings, but that

Posted by Big Boss

Rei's not Shinji's sister. Rei is Yui's clone, so in a sense she's more his mother than his sister. Even Shinji hints at it when Rei's mopping in the classroom, that it reminded him of his mother. That's as far as it goes for the relationship between Rei and Shinji, but Rei's "being" is a lot more complicated than that.

Posted by Legend Saber

Quoting Big Boss: Even Shinji hints at it when Rei's mopping in the classroom, that it reminded him of his mother.

I thought Shinji said that Rei looked like a mother, not specifically Yui. Same basic idea, I suppose.

Posted by Klarth

He never said she looked like a mother, he states she was acting like one.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Big Boss]

Yeah, I knew that, but he always seems to admire Rei and then at End Of Evangelion when Eva-01 and Shinji get sucked into Lilith, we see Rei on top on Shinji in a somewhat sexual position.

Plus, I don't Shinji ever really figured out Rei was a clone of his mother.

Quoting Majesty: He never said she looked like a mother, he states she was acting like one.

No, he says she looks like a mother when she was ringing out a washcloth.

Posted by boomstick

BUMP

Watching through End Of Evangelion again I think I realized something about that last scene, I don't think that's Asuka at all with Shinji or, at least, not just Asuka, throughout the whole movie, Shinji imagines the three main women in his life, Misato, Asuka and Rei and when Lilith-Rei asks him what he wants, he actually wants all three of them back, but likes Asuka's body more, signified by the opening scene and all three women's essence is put into a restored Asuka's body....

I think this, because if you look at Asuka's eyes in that last scene there different then before, they're red, like Rei's and through the majority of the 2nd half of the movie, Misato, Rei and Asuka swirl within Shinji's mind, through I believe he likes Asuka's body and attitude better, so that's the chosen body for his new Eve or Lilith.

Thoughts on theroy...

Posted by Shin-Ra

I see the women in Evangelion as representing the individual entities contained within Freud's theory of the Structural Model of Personality, and Shinji as the base, or foundation for them all to build upon. It would make sense, especially in the last few episodes of the show they have 'instrumentality' which combines all of the people within Shinji's mind together into one healthy person (the happy ending, congratulations bit). The elements of the Structural Model of Personality are the Id, Ego and the Superego.

The Id would mostly likely be Asuka who seems to have the mind of a child at many times during the show due to her constant complaining and self centered perspective of the world. Her destructive nature which involves no consideration for others is driven by the pleasure principle, which once again makes her position as the Id obvious.

The Superego would be Rei whose actions and decisions are based solely on the morals given to her by her parental figure, Gendo. She's the other end of the spectrum of Asuka and is usually in some sort of conflict with her.

And stuck in the middle of this is the balance which is Shinji, the Ego. Freud's idea is that the Ego is the central character in all of this, hence Shinji's role in the whole story. Shinji realizes that people have their own drives and his actions could interfere with this, but he still had to meet the expectations of Asuka and Misato throughout the story (both of which can be seen as Id figures).

That's just my opinion on the characters themselves and why they were created the way they were. I'm not saying this affects the storyline too much, but it is there. The movie seems to be influenced by more Buddhist beliefs and the television series by psychological theories and that whole mess with the dead sea scrolls (which I don't know too much about, honestly).

Now that I'm done with that, Evangelion is my favorite anime by far. A lot of people see it as a simple Robots vs Monsters with angsty kids thrown in. Which is just fine. But there's a lot more to the show for those who like to dig a bit deeper into the plotlines and the meanings of even the simplest of things nonchalantly presented in the series. Anyway, even as an angsty drama show it's fantastic, as a robots VS monsters show it's amazing (End of Eva mostly), and as a break away from the other mindless crap made for a quick buck, it serves its purpose.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.1: You guys didn't even say anything about Evangelion except that its kool and has an awesome ending

Which one? I alone have seen 2 different ones.