ANOTHER NEW COMPUTER PROBLEM RAGH

Posted by Alastor

k. This time around, I've got the DSL working and everything.

The system is completely operational except for 2 things:

The D drive doesn't work. I'm currently using an external E drive, and I could live without the D being fixed, but it's just an annoyance.

Second, and most importantly, I can't install anything. Namely AIM. I've tried downloading and installing ObjectDock, DesktopX, and AIM. I can download the installers no problem, but when I click Open (Firefox downloads window) or double click it on my Desktop (where they download to), they will bring up the hourglass icon like they're going to load for about 2 seconds, then the hourglass will vanish and the computer will act as if I never clicked it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Roger Smith

Tried going to Control Panel, Install new programs?

Posted by Arczu

Yeargh... I hate that problem.

I get that sometimes when a programs starts goofing up. Like Firefox being open, but not seeing the main window. Then all applications don't start. I usually restart my computer when that happens.

But if it is constant... then I'm not sure what could be causing the problem.

Posted by Alastor

Figured out last night that it's not with every program. Only a few.

Programs I've been unable to install:

ObjectDock
DesktopX
AIM

Any ideas?

Posted by Alastor

Sorry for double post, but I needed to address this to anyone who was trying to help me.

I've found a way to install all of my programs. Before installing, for whatever reason, I have to click...

Properties > Compatability and then set it to one of those. I'm currently just setting them all to Windows 2000.

As soon as we take the extra 256 RAM from my old computer, put it in this one, and get the D:/ drive fixed, this thing will be good to go. Thanks for all the help, everyone. :cool:

Posted by Arczu

Heh... I tried...

I never had to use that compatibility wizard before.