Activision lands Shrek 3 license

Posted by gamecorner

Publisher will develop and distribute games based on the 2007 sequel to DreamWorks' popular computer-animated fantasy comedy.
Shrek 3 won't be out until 2007, but that hasn't stopped DreamWorks from selling off the game rights to the computer-animated sequel.
Today, the movie studio issued a joint statement with Activision, announcing the publisher would develop and publish games based on the follow-up to Shrek 2, the highest-grossing animated film of all time. That film's game adaptation--also published by Activision--was the best-selling children's game of 2004, according to figures released by the NPD Group (and further distributed by Activision).

"Activision is very excited to further expand its licensing agreement with DreamWorks on the third installment in the blockbuster animated series," said Activision CEO Ron Doornink. "Shrek has proven to be one of the most popular children's video game properties worldwide and we expect to continue building on the success of the franchise with the release of our upcoming game Shrek SuperSlam and future games."

Given that Shrek 3's release is two years away--by which time all next-generation consoles will presumably be on the market--Activision did not specify for which platforms it would be released. However, it did take the opportunity to further promote its long-standing agreement with DreamWorks to license films from the latter's computer animation studio, PDI, including last year's Shark Tale, this summer's Madagascar, and 2006's Over the Hedge.

Posted by Mystic Hero

This is anohter movie title that I feel shouldn't have a thrid one made. I don't see any other reason that they need to make a thrid one. I think they're over doing it a bit. I much enjoyed the first two, but I think that's enough. I just can't think of another conflict that they could possably make into a comical movie. Whatever this new one is it better be **** good or I won't even bother seeing it. I hope Activision does a good job on this one.

Posted by Fiindil

ah, but it seems all films have to be in at least a trilogy now, and unfortunatly animated films seem to be no exception

Posted by Axis

I have never liked movies that have been made into games. They all suck. Only game that I can think that did good was Riddick.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Inzo: I have never liked movies that have been made into games. They all suck. Only game that I can think that did good was Riddick.

I for one much enjoyed the Spider Man 2 game. The rest I didn't like much.

Anyway, usually the movies that have been made into trilogies are done that way because the story hasn't come to a complete end. I mean like at the end of a movie you can always catch if there is a slight hint that a second or third movei will come out. This goes mainly for some Marvel moveis as they haven't fully come to an end.

On the other hand, there are movies that come to a complete concluding end during the first movei, sometimes it may be a second movie. Shrek 2 was made because DreamWorks though it would be interesting for people to find out what happened after Shrek got married to Fiona and they did an excellent job on both. But it seems like there doesn't need to be a third movie. The story has come to an end. I don't see a need to continue making sequals. To me, this is what turns me away from some movie series. The movies have unnessesary sequals added to them. They could stop after the first one or two unless there is a good reason to continue with another one. I just don't see the need.