Anyone use Linux?

Posted by Draxamus

I recently installed Fedora Core linux on a second partition, alongside Windows 2000 Professional. I used to have FreeBSD on that partition, but I'm pretty sure that was a bad install (because of burner issues). Some of the things I like about linux are: it's free; it comes with many more useful applications than Windows does "out of the box;" and, it provides you with the source code, and lets you pretty much have full control over it. Also a lot of Linux distributions these days aren't to difficult to install and setup--not much more difficult than Windows at least.

EDIT: Oh and the powerful command line is nice too.

Posted by Klarth

I've used KDE in the past, but never seriously... I went back to win 2k shortly afterwards, having been a ten-year-old with about as much grasp of the konsole as a braindead chimp.

My new dual-boot laptop has the newest version of enlightenment on it, though, so it's all good. I'm going to try and get my head around it at last.

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

Ive used Mandrake 10.0 a while ago, but for some reason it started acting all buggy and wouldnt let me access my internet anymore. Then I decided to attempt a Gentoo system with Enlightenment and KDE (Just because my sisters wanted to try it, but they didnt know how to get around in Enlightenment) but that didnt work out too well seeming as it didnt like my monitor or my graphics card at all.

I do remember when I first used linux, but I didnt know how to do anything in it. It was on my old Macintosh Performa, I had heard of BOCHS, an Intel proccessor emulator for PowerPC. And when I downloaded it and installed it, It had a small version of linux on it, I think it was called DLXLinux or something like that.

Hopefully once I get my new system built I will have it dual boot with WinXP and Gentoo, or maybe Fedora Core 3, but its too early in my buying process to be planning things like that.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Only use Linux on non-gaming machines. Used Yoper Linux, SuSe Linux, and Ubuntu. All are ok I suppose. Yoper and SuSe seem a little bit bloated on install. SuSe has every **** media player imaginable. I prefer Gnome on SuSe, KDE or XFCE4 on Yoper, and Gnome on Ubuntu. (duh) Linux is still too much of a hassle than it is a blessing.

Posted by Trigger

I use Fedora Core on the machines I use at my campus and I'm getting a copy of Fedora Core on a CD on Thursday, so I can impliment it on my third hard drive sometime.

Posted by higbvuyb

I installed Linux twice, (without deleting windows or whateveryoucallit) and both times the computer wouldn't start up.

Strangely, the computer screen said "L99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99" or something like that.

Posted by Echo

I have a second 80 gig hard drive sitting next to my computer, waiting to be stuck in and have Linux installed on it. I have Red Hat 7.1 on an old computer in my room, but it doesn't have a monitor at the moment. I've used Red Hat, Fedora Core, Slackware, and now Beatrix at school. I might add Slackware to my new hard drive, or possibly Beatrix. I'll probably partition it, too, and dual-boot two different Linux distros, one of them probably being Arch Linux, because I'd like to learn how to use it. The other might be ark Linux, because it's supposed to be extremely easy to use, unlike Arch, which is extremely difficult.

Posted by thelaststand

mmm i have red hat 6 command line on an old hp (i use that 2 get used 2 all the commands) and on my laptop i have had xp and FC3, but xp wasn't working at all, so i deleted that crap. Then i got tired of FC3 and installed slackware10, but i deleted that because i found out i didnt know enough commands to make it work according 2 how i wanted it to, so i think FC3 is going back on (or if anyone has any other distros that would work well w/ a beginner/intermediate linux user that would be great, i would use it for browsing, media, and maybe a little bit of programming)