Problem With My New PC's D Drive

Posted by Alastor

Yar, yet another problem with my new computer. This time the D drive isn't functioning correctly. I've tried a music CD (not a CD-R, a real one) and a program CD (My DSL installation disc) and neither of them show anything when I go to the D drive under My Computer.

Incase it matters, my new computer's an HP Pavilion 531w.

Posted by f4phantom2500

do you have the drive set to autorun/autoplay cds?

Posted by Alastor

Yes. But nothing will show up even if I go into the D folder, anyways.

Posted by Klarth

First: What make is it? Look for tech support. If indeterminable, or if it's a prefab box, go check the computer manufacturer's webpage.

Second: Have you attempted resetting your computer?

Third: Check that the devices are installed. If not, borrow an external cd drive, get someone to burn the drivers for your particular model for you, uninstall and reinstall them.

Not sure what else you could do, tbh.

Posted by Alastor

rawr

I decided the easiest thing to do would probably be just to hook up our 98SE's external CD burner to the XP and use it as a D drive.

It worked. :cool: This is my first post from my new computer, and I love it. :cool2:

Posted by Trigger

You could always ensured that D drive was connected inside the machine properly and set accordingly if connected on the same channel as a hard drive (i.e., setting it as a slave). Was the device detected by your BIOS during the POST?