Why an iPod?

Posted by Y4kMISFIT

What's so great about the ipod? What about it is so much better than any other MP3 player? It really annoys me that the ipod is so trendy now. It may be a good MP3, but I still refuse to buy it, not because of the price, but because U2 is advertising for it.

I still use a CD player, but i'm planning on getting an MP3 soon. So would the ipod be a waste of my money?

Posted by mis0

I got the shuffle as a gift, and I'll say this about it: I actually do enjoy not having a screen or having to really choose music. It's like a radio station of **** I like. Or I can play my playlist. The thing has twelve hours+ battery life on internal batteries that charge while it's in the USB port. And it puts out a crystal clear signal which is great on my car stereo. the only thing I consider doing is getting black or silver earbuds so it doesn't look like I'm using an iPod. They are faily trendwhorish, and I don't like it for the "style", because I guess the style screams "I LIEK POP MUSIK!!1", which I do not.

Anyway, I'd do a comparison before laying out cash. I like mine because it is about the same size as the lighter I carry, which makes it really convienient.

Posted by brownoystercult

Get the Ipod. The Ipod shuffle doesn't hold enough songs. It isn't a waste of money at all either. There's got to be a reason why its the number one selling mp3 player. Plus the click wheel is genious.

Posted by Axis

That's pretty dumb if you don't like the iPod just because U2 is advertising for it.

Anyways, I'll be getting an iPod this summer just because my cd collection is growing and I don't feel like switching out my cd players over and over, or even hauling them around for that matter.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Quoting Misoxeny: I got the shuffle as a gift, and I'll say this about it: I actually do enjoy not having a screen or having to really choose music. It's like a radio station of **** I like. Or I can play my playlist. The thing has twelve hours+ battery life on internal batteries that charge while it's in the USB port. And it puts out a crystal clear signal which is great on my car stereo. the only thing I consider doing is getting black or silver earbuds so it doesn't look like I'm using an iPod. They are faily trendwhorish, and I don't like it for the "style", because I guess the style screams "I LIEK POP MUSIK!!1", which I do not.

Anyway, I'd do a comparison before laying out cash. I like mine because it is about the same size as the lighter I carry, which makes it really convienient.

I agree. I often find it better on my iPod mini to not look at the screen. I see the benefits of both having and not having a screen, but meet yourself in the middle and get a silver mini for 200 bucks.

Or do whatever the fuck you want.

Posted by Poison

This is why you don

Posted by Pit

Quoting Uchiha Itachi: Get the Ipod. The Ipod shuffle doesn't hold enough songs. It isn't a waste of money at all either. There's got to be a reason why its the number one selling mp3 player. Plus the click wheel is genious.

Yes, 1Gig of songs isn't anything! [/sarcasm]

The shuffle is good. Although not having the click wheel you can store a good 100 - 150 songs depending on length. I have a 20Gig iPod but sold it. I didn't need the memory and didn't really need it at all. My suggestion is to go with the mini or the shuffle. In fact, get neither, get the Creative Zen. Cheaper than the iPod mini and holds more. An extra gig more. It's also smaller and it's touch scroll is great.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Yes, 1Gig of songs isn't anything! [/sarcasm]

It really isn't.

My dad got me an 8gig mini in march, and even that's not enough space.

But I must say, I never figured I'd get one, but I'm glad I have it now.

Posted by Apathetic

I really want one but I have no money. Its annoying at school only having 1 cd instead of everything I have. (300 songs, not much) When I get the money I'm buying an ipod mini money, which will probably be around mid summer maybe a bit longer.
You can get an ipod or you can get whatever you want. If you dont want an ipod you could try Rio.

Quoted post: If you dont want an ipod you could try Rio.

iRiver.

Posted by Dandelion

Meh, getting something because of advertising reasons, in my opinion, is dumb. I hate people who won't shop from popular brands too just because they're popular. Why can't people just buy what they like?!

Anywho, I have a Rio Sport. It holds a grand total of 34 songs. It's better than nothing. I want an iPod, or some sort of mp3 player that holds more, but I'm poor. I can keep dreaming though.

Posted by Linko_16

I use a CD player with zero complaints, able to easily burn my songs onto my own personal CD, but I guess I'd get an iPod if I came into money. However, I find that all current mp3 players have very small screens that must make it harder to view all your songs on a menu or whatever. Not a devistating flaw or anything, but I'd sure like to presented with a longer list with less to scroll through.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I was about to buy an iPod but saw a 40 GB Creative Zen [url=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6399523&type=product&id=1077626018189]Nomad[/url] for $250.00 and went for the Nomad. Like Pit said, Creative Zen's hold more for their price, and I've sacrificed nothing for the cheaper price tag except the opportunity to own a more popular (and expensive) mp3 player. I'm perfectly content with my Nomad, although it's hasn't taken too long for it to be almost entirely filled, even after my last cropping of songs/artists to make browsing easier.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Y4kMISFIT: It may be a good MP3, but I still refuse to buy it, not because of the price, but because U2 is advertising for it.

So are furries! Time to organise a boycott!

I am in love with 40GB iPod. It offers the perfect amount of storage space for me--my notebook computer's hard disk can hold only about 36 GB of mp3s at a time, anyway. The menu interface is very easy to use, and the backlight is essential when selecting songs or other options in the dark. When I place it in its thick rubber protective armour, I don't have to worry much about dropping it-- I dropped it on the lava rocks a couple times when I was playing it at the volcano, and it handled fine. I didn't choose the iPod because of it's trendiness, but because it's probably the best mp3 player out there.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I was going to buy an Ipod, but then I realized that nearly all the music I listen to can be found on one of the local oldies rock radio stations. I have a small AM/FM radio that gets great reception, and the AAA batteries power it for what seems like days.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Quoting Shin-Ra: I was about to buy an iPod but saw a 40 GB Creative Zen [url=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6399523&type=product&id=1077626018189]Nomad[/url] for $250.00 and went for the Nomad. Like Pit said, Creative Zen's hold more for their price, and I've sacrificed nothing for the cheaper price tag except the opportunity to own a more popular (and expensive) mp3 player. I'm perfectly content with my Nomad, although it's hasn't taken too long for it to be almost entirely filled, even after my last cropping of songs/artists to make browsing easier.

Ditto, I got the 30GB Nomad for 200$ and am nothing but happy with it.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I looked at a lot of players and still haven't decided. I actually need 30Gb, annoyingly enough, when you look at my entire music collection. And for an extra

Posted by Trigger

My USB flash drive converts to an MP3 player at a very affordable price and that's more than enough for me, considering my needs. I don't have anything against iPod's but I am getting increasingly annoyed at seeing every Tom, Dick and Harry having one, especially for the reason that "they're popular" or "pretty looking". Every time I see a pair of white iPod earphones, I almost want to rip them out of the users ears.

Each to his own, though.

Posted by Poison

Quoted post: Trigger disagrees: lol @ glass. Crack open a hard drive one day.

You

Posted by EnTiTyHaCkEr

I own a 5GB Dell Pocket DJ and I find it just fine for me.

Quoting Pit: ...In fact, get neither, get the Creative Zen. Cheaper than the iPod mini and holds more. An extra gig more. It's also smaller and it's touch scroll is great.

Actually the Dell Pocket DJ, and the Creative Zen are the same thing, just the Dell version lacks the radio, which doesnt bother me in anyway. The only drawback to the DPDJ, is that everytime you want to put something on it it requires you to use the "Dell DJ Explorer" just to transfer files.

Ive seen just about everyone at school with those stupid iPod earbuds stuck in their heads. Ive used them before, and didnt really like them, they seemed too big for my VERY small ears. I was the same way, at first, with my Dell earbuds but for some reason with the way that they are shaped, doesnt cause my ears to wig out and spit out my headphones like a baby rejecting a pacifier.

Posted by Sable Wind

I love my iPod... it's so much more convienent than my old CD player... I don't have to carry around a bunch of CDs and the bulky old thing itself. I don't use my iPod's headphones, I use my silver ones... my dad says the iPod ones are crappy. o.o Oh well, no matter.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Trigger: Every time I see a pair of white iPod earphones, I almost want to rip them out of the users ears.

That's why I painted mine black. I like the original iPod earphones, as they produce considerably deep bass. My other ones, however, have a volume control halfway up the wire, which is very convenient as I can change the volume even when my iPod is set on 'hold.' I still remember the description for an iPod accessory I read awhile back, though: "product includes enough coloured skins so you can always make your iPod match your outfit!" or something along those lines.

Posted by Linko_16

I don't know how people stand those ear buds, the kinds of headphones commonly used with iPods. If I got one, I'd keep using the traditional kind.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Raptor: That's why I painted mine black. I like the original iPod earphones, as they produce considerably deep bass. My other ones, however, have a volume control halfway up the wire, which is very convenient as I can change the volume even when my iPod is set on 'hold.' I still remember the description for an iPod accessory I read awhile back, though: "product includes enough coloured skins so you can always make your iPod match your outfit!" or something along those lines.

What sort of paint did you use? Plastic can be painted pretty well with automotive paint (painted my computer candy apple red with some) but I'm not sure I want that in my ear. You're completely right on about the bass the little guys put out; it's pretty good for earbuds.

Posted by sabre

They're capacitous. My 64MB MP3 player is okay and good for going out and about every now and then, but it's light-years away from anything close to ideal. I have to repeatedly change about my tracklist to keep it fresh, and tend to have far more songs I want to fit on there than I can; even more frustrating when you have a natural tendency to be frugal, anyway. I'd trade it in for an iPod without a backwards glance.

Posted by Klarth

I own a 5 gigabyte original iPod. It stores less than an iPod mini, and the battery only lasts for three to five hours after years of use, but it does the job for my current music collection. I plan on purchasing a new one (hopefully a 40GB) at some point in the near future. Or begging someone else for one. In the meantime, Sabreydoo gets my old one. =)

as for painting your 'pod: [url="http://www.colorwarepc.com"]www.colorwarepc.com[/url]

[quote=Raptor]I still remember the description for an iPod accessory I read awhile back, though: "product includes enough coloured skins so you can always make your iPod match your outfit!" or something along those lines.

You need to wear some more colourful clothes, Raptor.

Posted by junior senior

SO many trendwhores in my school have the mini and it sucks. I tell them that and they say "ur just jelus bc u dont hav 1" Um..I have an iPod but I don't bring it to school because I don't want your trendwhorishness!

Quoted post: SO many trendwhores in my school have the mini and it sucks. I tell them that and they say "ur just jelus bc u dont hav 1" Um..I have an iPod but I don't bring it to school because I don't want your trendwhorishness!

That's even worse.

Posted by G-Sides

Yeah, the only reason everyone uses an iPod is like the same reason everyone has to have a camera phone. Sure, there are alternatives, but why get that one when you can be like everyone else and get this one! Same thing, just a bunch of usesless features!

But seriously, the iPod does come with quite a few features which you'll never use, such as about 4 games (Solitaire included :'( ) and now they have those iPod Picture ones that display the album cover that're like, $50 more than an normal iPod of the same size. It's all just a trend.

Anyway, I would go on, but I have a few songs I need to put on my iPod. :cool:

Posted by Richaod

[QUOTE=Y4kMISFIT]but because U2 is advertising for it.

Right. What if Beyonce advertised for water or voting? The iPod is a huge status symbol now, but not more so than its main function as an mp3 player.

Anyway, there are a few good things about the iPod - storage capacity, reliability, good sound quality... There aren't that many mp3 players with around 20-40 GB storage, and the only one I can think of that's probably as good/better is the iRiver, which happens to be more expensive. The iPod has a lot of peripherals like specially designed speakers and FM transmitters due to its popularity, which is good too. One problem is its ability to scratch with even the slightest touch, so I'd recommend buying a skin or something as soon as you get one, but because of the iSkin's effective monopoly on the market, they raise the prices to ridiculous levels.

Provided you charge it almost every day and that you're willing to use iTunes (other media players actually work, but the official one would be the best, I assume), you shouldn't have any problems.

Quoted post: One problem is its ability to scratch with even the slightest touch,

Problem solved with the mini.

Posted by Bebop

I hear those things break alot and aren't as good as other music players out there. I haven't done any research into the thing but it's common for the current 'hot item' to actually be a bunch of crap compared to other products (PS2 anyone?)

Posted by Speedfreak

Don't get an iPod, they're a total waste of money. Get a creative Zen instead. You get double the space and battery life for the same price.

Ergh. I just counted up the amount of mp3s on my PC... just over 4 gig. And that's not factoring in my massive CD collection. Looks like I'll be plumping for a 20 or 30 gig version of SOMETHING...

Posted by Y4kMISFIT

Well.. I've been convinced that it's a really good MP3, but all the features and usefullness in the world still won't get me to buy it. More people I know bought one, and my school is now promoting it in the morning news, I won't buy what some drama club douche is telling me to get. It's gotten so popular that I won't allow myself to buy one out of principle.

....... If Gwar promoted it, I'd pay anything you want me to pay for one.

Posted by Dark

I like the iPod, but I really want an iRiver. My brother bought one on eBay and I've noticed how good it looks. Color screen, 5GB of space, and it can store other types of media too. Not to mention it already comes black.

Quoted post: I like the iPod, but I really want an iRiver. My brother bought one on eBay and I've noticed how good it looks. Color screen, 5GB of space, and it can store other types of media too. Not to mention it already comes black.

I was going to get one. But I read up on it beforehand and there were just too many horror stories for me to ever buy one. maybe if someone I know got one and I got to test it out, but slim chance of that happening.

Quoting Y4kMISFIT: It's gotten so popular that I won't allow myself to buy one out of principle.

Haha, typical uber-punk attitude.

I AREN'T DOING IT BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE CONFORMIST

Posted by Pit

Quoting Majesty: I own a 5 gigabyte original iPod. It stores less than an iPod mini, and the battery only lasts for three to five hours after years of use, but it does the job for my current music collection. I plan on purchasing a new one (hopefully a 40GB) at some point in the near future. Or begging someone else for one. In the meantime, Sabreydoo gets my old one. =)

as for painting your 'pod: [url="http://www.colorwarepc.com"]www.colorwarepc.com[/url]

You need to wear some more colourful clothes, Raptor.

No it doesn't. An iPod mini only stores 4GB. What you have stores more.

I still don't see the reason for 40GB. I mean, unless you have word documents, movies files, or whatever you just wanna tranfer and use the iPod as an external hard drive, then go ahead. 40GB of music is just ridiculous. Nothing the mini can't get done.

Quoted post: No it doesn't. An iPod mini only stores 4GB. What you have stores more.

Mine stores eight ;)

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Pit: No it doesn't. An iPod mini only stores 4GB. What you have stores more.

I still don't see the reason for 40GB. I mean, unless you have word documents, movies files, or whatever you just wanna tranfer and use the iPod as an external hard drive, then go ahead. 40GB of music is just ridiculous. Nothing the mini can't get done.

Yeah, I love the fact that I can back up my photography collection, text files, school assignments, and just about anything else to my iPod, along with the 36 GB of music that I have.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Pit]An iPod mini only stores 4GB.

http://www.apple.com/ipodmini/

Posted by mis0

Quoting Pit: No it doesn't. An iPod mini only stores 4GB. What you have stores more.

At least I know I'm sane. I find it difficult to believe that people honestly want to port 40 gigs of music around with them, as if they need every last single song they own at their fingertips at every second of the day. I use my computer for that, and the shuffle now just carries the stuff I like most for all three worlds of use; school, work, and car.

Posted by G-Sides

My iPod mini holds 6.

I know that if I want to store all my music, I'll need a 20Gb player. And for twice the price, why not get three times the storage? **** pricing structues.