SSB: The Original

Posted by Arczu

I managed to buy the N64 version and played it out from the beginning (cleared all the data). I was so used to Melee that this was hard to get back into since I kept trying to side-dodge and wavedash. But it was fun. Those freaking polygon look-alikes and everything.

The old sounds are fun to hear (like the ray gun that sounds like a deadly weapon) and everything... it's just as much (or even more to some points) as melee, just with out all the other characters and fewer polygons. Seriously, the specs in this game compared to the specs in the later are completely different and the same. Does anybody enjoy this version anymore?

Posted by Alastor

I still enjoy it alot. It's probably the N64 game I played the most out of them all...hell, SSB is the reason I'm even a Nintendo fan today. I wasn't really big into games at the time. All I had was an original Game Boy and a Sega Genesis. :o

But...now that I've gotten so used to Melee, I barely play it anymore. What with me sucking at it so much after getting used to Melee's physics and character abilities. >_>;;

Posted by Linko_16

That's the reason I pwn my brother at SSB today, 'cause N64 mechanics mess him up now. Actually, I prefer N64 mechanics in a lot of ways.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It's great, but I can't play it anymore. I've played Melee for so long, and mastered the physics and special techniques so well that the original feels too clunky now. I actually prefer some of the stages in the N64's version, though. Why didn't they put stuff like Hyrule Castle and Saffron City in the 'Classic Stages' section of Melee?

:bowser:

Posted by Dexter

I still enjoy this version. Lately, since my nephews have been around, we've been playing this one more than Melee and I have been enjoying it.

Posted by Arczu

Comparing this to Melee, it was 30x easier to get knocked into high percents. Seriously, 6 attacks and I was at 115%.

And I just remember how annoying those polygon characters were in that "Race to the Finish!" I think during this bonus stage, these are the hardes characters you'll ever face. They intercept every one of your attacks and such... But the fist guy usually ends up getting marooned by those explosives. By the end, it may have 250% damage... the moron.

Posted by mastachief

yes, the first one was a nice original fighting game that was hard at times, and the second one only built on that

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

It was more broken than melee. Melee has a lot of checks and balances. This one didn't have many. So many attacks could send people to their deaths, by anyone. Even though as broken as kirby and Ness were, you could still kill with almost anyone with just a grab. Captain falcon had an infinite combo on link, pikachu could juggle almost anyone as well. This game sucked competative wise. But it was fun regardless, I never ever played this game competatively. It was almost like a button masher. Just... almost. Melee on the other hand is fun to play one on one, and even 4 on 4 with the coin match gameset type. I didn't pwn in it, and pwning wasn't hard either. It was still a hell of a trip ;o. I pick it up every now and then to see the majorly huge differences in both.

But I'm glad they powered down throws a hell load more, and made the game more combo fun, melee that is. Or else the tournament scene would be too crappy.

Posted by Arczu

Set the damage Ratio to 200%, then grab someone... chance are they will get KO'ed with 10% damage!

Comparing this version's system to Melee does have some sigs in stats. I mean, yeah. Some characters had more advantageous moves than others (AHEM*Luigi/Pickachu*AHEM). But fixing up the formula a bit makes for more fair matches.

Hey, does anybody remember how to open up the classic NES Mushroom Kingdom Stage? I've been playing for quite awhile now and... still no openings...

Posted by Mystic Hero

I liked it just for the fun of it. I loved just being able to pick some of my favorite Nintendo All Stars and just go up against a few friends. The game was fun for just fooling around kind of fights, but nothing I would consider competitive wise. Melee brought SSB out even ore I believe and I hope it gets even better. The system of checsk and balances works out well too. You realy have to know how to use each character well to stand even a chance against someone good. Each one has different strengths and weaknesses such as speed, power, etc. that makes the game all the more exciting. By far it is still my favorite.:cool:

Posted by JChronoJ

I prefer the original SSB to the newer one... if they'd had used the SSB battle system but with all the new extras, then SSB:Melee would have been a great game. Melee is just too smooth; fighting isn't smooth, it's rough. That's why the original is better, much more rough, more realistic with a nice arcade touch. Melee is too pasty, it's like a geeky, white, upper-class wimp who has delusions of greatness.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Quoting JChronoJ: I prefer the original SSB to the newer one... if they'd had used the SSB battle system but with all the new extras, then SSB:Melee would have been a great game. Melee is just too smooth; fighting isn't smooth, it's rough. That's why the original is better, much more rough, more realistic with a nice arcade touch. Melee is too pasty, it's like a geeky, white, upper-class wimp who has delusions of greatness.

I'm glad that comment was from you. First lol. Second, the better smash players are hispanic, black, and japanese ;o. More rough you say? What was rough about it, a grab at 50 damage can kill? Arcade touch... actually... I've never heard that one before. Contradict yourself in the same statement, and then the second. You just suck at melee so stfu please.

Posted by mastachief

the first one was better because of the orginal gameplay, and it was a fun, fast paced fighting game where anything can happen

Posted by JChronoJ

personally me and friends always set the damage at 50%. (in melee too) Otherwise, you are right... throws at 50% damage were pretty silly. and what I mean by rough, is that the play is kinda jerky, such as the multiple attack moves like mario's and kirby's air attacks. they were just so fun to use, but in Melee they're pretty much worthless. Melee is just way too smooth to be any fun, usually polish and luster are good, but not for SSB. I've played both games alot, and the only things that kept me playing Melee were all the additions; more arenas, more characters, (but even alot of them were pretty retarded, same character only different attacks.. talk about lack of creativity) and more items.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Quoting JChronoJ: personally me and friends always set the damage at 50%. (in melee too) Otherwise, you are right... throws at 50% damage were pretty silly. and what I mean by rough, is that the play is kinda jerky, such as the multiple attack moves like mario's and kirby's air attacks. they were just so fun to use, but in Melee they're pretty much worthless. Melee is just way too smooth to be any fun, usually polish and luster are good, but not for SSB. I've played both games alot, and the only things that kept me playing Melee were all the additions; more arenas, more characters, (but even alot of them were pretty retarded, same character only different attacks.. talk about lack of creativity) and more items.

why the **** would you set the damage to 50% and then complain about the game, stfu

marios air attacks in melee? useless?! captain jack should come from japan and punch you. You don't know anything about melee, the basics or even where it stands to even begin to start complaining about the game.

before melee wasn't smooth, now its too smooth, wtf are you trying to say?

you've played both games a lot? whats a lot? a few minutes or hours with your friends in all out 4 free for all match with everyone set at 50% to even begin to attempt an air combo? items on also i bet huh?

I didn't even think it was possible to even complain about a character having the same move. I can understand about the clone characters, but thats your basis of argument?! you coulda said a lot of the stages sucked, or not enough new items, but characters with the same moves?! just wow

melee is STILL not smooth enough, and you need to stop sucking, a lot.

Posted by JChronoJ

err you apparently have very little reading comprehension as well as not knowing how to back an opinion. flaming is not debating.

and I'll state this more specifically, the air attacks I'm talking about are the mulitple hit ones. Yoshi's running feet, (down + a in air) for example. Those attacks do not 'drag' in Melee so it is usually impossible to get them to work properly. Sure a few of the attacks will hit, but since the enemy is not dragged he'll consequently be able to avoid the majority of the attacks. And yes, damage at 50% so the battles last longer; I didn't find it very entertaining to be dieing every time I got near 100%, which usually didn't take long when all four combatees were constantly fighting. (though my friend's one brother did enjoy hiding in a corner) Also, items we had items turned on because it was more fun that way. (but hearts and tomaters were turned off)

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Quoting JChronoJ: err you apparently have very little reading comprehension as well as not knowing how to back an opinion. flaming is not debating.

and after my whole entire post, you just go back to the combo's and items. thats it? I think I did a pretty good job then. perhaps you just can't express yourself the way you want to.

so THOSE were the air attacks you were talking about?! WOW, so you like the cheapness of a no lag air move in which a person takes damage of 50 plus damage? these were things nintendo fixed if you didn't notice. the game needed to be balanced for the love of ***. anyone could notice those air attacks were the cheapest thing ever. kirbys forward air got people at high damages, and him being able to continue jumping and then down air. the character is then almost dead. jigglypuff with her down air, same thing, except she didn't even have to l cancel to get the closest to a one hit kill combo.

so OH PLEASE NINTENDO, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BALANCED THE GAME FOR PEOPLE LIKE HIM!

for all purposes necessary, the lag in the moves that were added are needed, and by lag, its just the same as saying drag. this lag makes it possible for the game not to be anywhere near broken. i mean are they actually going to add more characters and not give them new moves, and not change the physics of the game? you place everyone at 50% and what you do is that you change the whole entire combo ability of any character, makes the game lame and a button masher. knockback decreases, and what you have is a four person match with items. you know what? you can do that in melee to! except you might hate the lag in moves, which is such a **** argument.

Posted by JChronoJ

well at 50% damage the air attacks that could rack up 30%+++ damage weren't as overpowered as they were at 100% damage. and I don't understand why you're babbling about lag in melee, because there isn't any.

Maybe you should try playing a few games at 50% to see how you like it, sure it's different but that doesn't mean it's bad. ;)

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

lag is the motion in a move before the move comes out, not a defect in the game in which you download something on the internet and the game freaks out on you. yoshi's down a/forward a/back a/ have lag. marios forward a, ganons forward and down a have lag, captain falcons down a, sheiks down a, bowsers up, down, and back a have lag. its just expressing the whole fact of the move not coming out as soon as you want it to. unlike in the n64 version in which every character with a spike, had it flawless. ness just down a'd and it came out so fast, now in melee, theres the lag of the down a before the move comes out, thats the babbling i thought you were referring to when you said yoshi's down a, or did you want to confuse me yet again?

looks like I won this huh? and i will not play at 50% any time soon either, and not because it's different. every tournament format i've been to doesn't bother with changing the physics of how the game is originally intended to play. damage ratio is just an extra option. its set on default, and everyone plays, everyone shows their skill, and there is one victor as usual, and not in a 4 free for all match, but a one on one. just skill, items aren't even used in tournaments as well which is a reason why i'm not real big on them either.

i've tried it on 50, and you know what, its only fun when its on giant melee with items on, on a small stage and the game type match is coin with 10 minutes. sure its a button masher with no skill, but it is fun. too bad i don't do that anymore :/

and you know what, if you reach a gameplay high enough, moves like yoshi's down a are nothing compared to what you can really do. it becomes in melee, if the person isn't quick enough, a one throw game in which the person can continually juggle the opponent in the air with normal air attacks, without letting them land once. this is the gameplay i love to see, one that takes a lot of "micro"

i think i've made my point now :mad:

Edit : i feel like a dick sometimes when i have to reply to a person who has only a few lines in a big ****ing essay. i don't know why i do that -_-

Posted by JChronoJ

probably because you spend five sentences to say what it takes other people to say in one.

and that's not what I meant by lag, lag is actual game slowdown where everything is delayed. but that really is besides the point, this whole argument is kinda silly actually. We just have fun playing the game in different ways... I do not see how it could be any fun doing a 1-1 with no items, and you don't see how a 4 player FFA on 50% damage with items on can be any fun. Different people like different things, and where in the world can a guy find SSB:Melee tournaments??? Seems kinda crazy to me.
:p

Posted by Arczu

I don't think anything is MORE FUN that Super Sudden Death with a 2.0 Damage Ratio. Yeaha, then set 99 Stock lives for a long smashing fest!

I don' t know if anybody has fiddled with the handicaps, but they have their own affect on damage ratio, but not like anyone cares about that eh?

I'm a bit confused by the way the term "lag" is being used here. Is it the time it takes for an attack to be preformed, or the delay cause by each hit?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Lag, not the casual lag. It's just an expression to explain move delay. I go to smashboards, they explain moves through lag instead of delay.

Just as well, where can one guy NOT find SSBM tournaments unless you live in europe or australia where its much harder to? Jeez dude! [url]www.smashboards.com[/url] has a section just for tournaments. Go search for one near your place. As a matter of fact, I just got back from one, I'm finally settled down typing.

oh and yea, top 10 still in nyc xD

I think I'm done with this argument, play the game how you feel like. I'm just too used to the tournament scene and trying to keep my spot. Tournaments have specific rules, I'm just so used to following them even when I'm not at a tournament. Regardless, I find it fun, and it's even more fun facing new competition.

Posted by JChronoJ

hmm interesting.. I guess there aren't any tourneys around here, I'm too far out in the middle of nowhere. (northwest Illinois, not much going on here) How much prize money is usually available in the bigger tournaments?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

depends, they usually do a split of a certain amount

All these tournaments are unofficial, but the bigger unofficial ones can have some serious cash money. Entrance is usually anywhere from 10 to 20, and they distribute the money between 1st to third place. Sometimes they take out money from the big pot also because they have to pay for the place thats rented out for the tournament. Yesterday, I have no clue what Wes got for winning first, but I'm assuming around 400 dollars or something.

The biggest official ones are the MLG gaming ones, and i think that had a huge huge prize takeout, like in the thousands.