READ HERE FIRST IF YOU'RE NEW: What is a Virtual Boy?

Posted by lameboyadvance

Ok, this is maybe the fourth or fifth time this sticky has been made, sorry for taking so long after the recent deletion to get it back up.

To all those new or curious perusing this board, scratching their head and wondering, "What the hell is a Virtual Boy?", your question will be answered. The point of this sticky is to let people know what it is without incessant postings of "OMG LOL WATS A VB LOL".
We're sick of it!

1. What is a Virtual Boy?
The Nintendo Virtual Boy was a 3D system created, oddly enough, by Nintendo in 1995 and released in Japan and America. By using a clever arrangement of stereoscopic red LEDs and mirrors, 3D images were able to be produced within gameplay.

2. Why did it fail?
(There are a number of reasons as to why it failed, all with complex links, so i'll outlay it in basic detail)
Nintendo were struggling with the release of anything related to Ultra/Nintendo 64, and just kept promising and promising a release, btu we all know what happened there. Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation were subsequently released, U/N64 was still in development hell; Nintendo decdided to release the VB to compete. Unfortunately, it just came at the wrong time, people wanted the U/N64 and not some 3D "GameBoy" as a stand-in in the meantime. There was also the problem of the initial retail price, and the lack of third party support for games at launch and throughout it's life. Over time, long story short, VB couldn't compete against PSX economically and support wise, and so it just fell into disarray and was canned.
There was also the problem of it being only in black and red, causing headaches to some people after extended periods of play. Why they complained when a Game Boy was black and white....

3. Where can I buy one?
There are still a number of online stores around the world that stock VB systems and games, but your best chance is of course eBay or Yahoo Auctions.

4. Will VB harm my pregnant baby?
It's a video game system, not cigarettes! Unless your baby can play it through the womb, I don't think there's much chance of any harm. However, children under 7 are not recommended to play VB due to potential eye damage, apparently.

5. Where can I find out more about VB, VB games, and other VB info?
Wikipedia Virtual Boy entry @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy
Ferry, Pete and Omeba's site @ [url]www.virtual-boy.org[/url]
Kri55e, DrAetzn & Freeze's site @ [url]www.vr32.de[/url]
David Tucker's site @ [url]www.goliathindustries.com/vb[/url]

That should get you started!

All the best with you now, VB ON!
-Pete

[Reposted by lameboyadvance]