Chaning The Local Password

Posted by I feel Yellow?

I am about to take my XP PC into school but everyone who i share a study with knows about rebooting into safemode and changing the password. is there anyway to:

Prevent the Comp booting into safemode
Disable the password changing in safemode

any thoughts?

Posted by I feel Yellow?

and I am aware of the Typo (changing)

Posted by NegativeTrend

Put a password on your BIOS. Hit Del (or whatever key your mobo uses) when the comp starts up and set it from there. Windows XP wont boot until that password is entered.

Posted by Klarth

Exactly what I was about to suggest. is there any way of cracking a BIOS password, anyway?

Posted by Magnum

I've never heard of a way to "crack" a BIOS password, so the person trying to gain access would just have to have a lucky guess.

If they had a lot of time, they could open the case and reset the BIOS through the jumper pin. That should erase all BIOS passwords by resetting it to it's default settings.

Posted by Trigger

I believe there's actually programs out there you can download that get the BIOS passwords for you. Short of changing a jumper though, they could also remove the battery, which will do the same thing.

If you're worried about unauthorised access, Yellow, I'd suggest you kept a close watch on your machine and perhaps kept it in a room where a teacher can also monitor it when you haven't got time. Other than that, just don't bring it.

Posted by sniper

Closest you can get to total security pass-protecting the BIOS and putting a lock on your case.

Posted by Trigger

Take the keyboard and mouse with you and shove them in your bag when you aren't around the computer. If they can't enter a password, it can't be broken into. Other than that, take the power cord, or unplug the hard drive at the IDE channel connector. If you can't totally secure it, start making it non-functional when you aren't around.

Posted by I feel Yellow?

Thanks to all, I have sorted the problem

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Trigger]I believe there's actually programs out there you can download that get the BIOS passwords for you.

But wouldn't you have to be past the BIOS to install those, or could you do it from another computer?