Sim Battle Rules

Posted by Sean Fury

[SIZE=5]~Sim Battle Rules~[/SIZE]

- Profiles: You are required, in order to fight, have a Sim Battle profile posted either here or on another location that you have a link posted to in your post in the profile thread. There are no exceptions.
--- Profiles may be posted in [url=http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=5897]this thread.[/url]

- Controlling: Also called “modding”, which would be controlling the opponent’s character; while it is allowed, you cannot do anymore then have them think, say something, or perform a minor action. However, “G0d-Modding”, total and unrestrained control of an opponent’s character is restricted. This includes: making a significant error (causing the opponent to power down from a higher stage, etc.), do/say that the character would not say (don’t be an ***, the opponent wouldn’t just say “**** off” for no reason), or harm/kill their self.
--- Slight Modding does not consist of moving the opponent’s character, say, out of a hiding spot, so that you can use an attack on them.

- Killing: Will be allowed unless both fighters decide to end the battle without killing, BEFORE the fight begins.
--- You may only kill an opponent, after a certain amount of posts have been made, roughly 12 turns (back and forth) should be made before killing. Other conditions also apply to this, such as, each fighter’s current condition and status, etc.

- Moves: You may attack your opponent up to four times per post, including ONE major attack within, or after the combo; four is the maximum, but any under will be accepted. If a fighter abuses the lack restrictions, then they will be forced to forfeit, or have an instant kill forced upon their character.

- Healing: Will be allowed, but like the controlling/modding, it must be done in moderation, as you must use your common sense when healing. If you excessively heal your character, to keep them from gaining any damage at all and keep the battle from progressing, then the person doing so will be forced to edit their post, or forfeit.

- De-limbing: This will be allowed, but it must be done in moderation; you cannot just hack off your opponents arms and legs, so they cannot fight any longer; if someone does so, they will be forced to forfeit, and/or an instant kill will be placed upon them. Also, destroying a person’s vital organs (Heart, Lungs, Brain, etc.) is completely restricted; you may harm their organs, but you cannot destroy them and etc.

- Cheapness: If you feel your opponent is cheating and/or being cheap do not be afraid to complain to the staff of the forum and if they do not respond, you may call upon an experienced battler that happens to be around.

- Anatomy: Unless you state that otherwise, your characters anatomy will be that of a Humanoid; meaning, they are assumed to have bones, skin, blood, lungs, a heart, etc. If you wish to have a character without some of these features, you must state so in your profile.

- Fighters per Battle: Two fighters will be fighting in a Sim Battle, no one may interfere unless it has been agreed upon that other battlers will be joining. No one may interfere for any other reason, unless this is agreed upon by both fighters in the begining (say, a friend would like to make a comment on the fight). Other than this, no one may intervene unless it is to enforce rules.

- Consumable Items: You may not use any items that regain your health, energy, magic power, etc. Outside items, such as potions, elixirs, and etc. fall under this category, and you may not use them.
--- Alchemist's that use items and chemicals in combonation for attacks and healing techniques are excused from this, but may not overuse said ability. Refer to Healing for more.

- Ultimate Attacks: You may not use your Ultimate Attack until at least 12 post/turns each have been taken during the battle, excluding your entrance. Your Ultimate Attack may not kill your opponent, but may damage them severely, to the point where they would give up, or etc.
--- Finishing Moves fall under the same definition as Ultimate Attacks. Even if the name is different, they all serve the same purpose and have the same end result.

-Arena/Planets: It may not be destroyed, unless you and your opponent agree upon it before the start of the battle.

Amendment I: Destruction of opponent’s weapons and/or clothing, and/or personal items is forbidden, and you will be forced to forfeit if caught doing so. Tears in clothing such as a blade cutting a shirt or something of a natural and normal nature is permitted, but nothing excessive will be permitted.

Amendment II: You may not, under any circumstance(s), during a battle, decide to change your character profile and have it affect the battle. Example: You are battling someone who uses magic, your armor is weak to magical attacks, so you edit your profile to state that your character is wearing anti-magic armor. Anything of this sort will not be tolerated AT ALL.

Amendment III: Large signatures are prohibited in the Sim Battle forum and WILL be edited from your post. Small signatures such as a few lines of text are all right, but large, obnoxious signatures with large images detract from the overall appearance of the thread and will not be tolerated in any battle thread. OOC threads such as General Discussion, Open Challenge Center, and any RP OOC threads created are the only exception to this. Any In Character thread with a signature in it will have the signature edited from the post and a note left by the moderator deleting the sig instructing you not to do it again.

Amendment VI: Repping other members in any In Character thread will not be tolerated. Outside of that, for example suggesting a rule in the General Discussion thread, as long as it is appropriate, will be overlooked but it is to be seen NOWHERE in any In Character thread. -- Crono and Lunairetic, Sim Battle forum staff

Edited for clarity and slight changes to a few of the amendments regarding signatures and reputation points in Out of Character threads. -- Crono, 060522

Posted by KuraiKitsune

Just a question, Sean; in the way I am accustomed to fighting, one fighter posts an attack, while the second uses sound judgement to decide whether or not the attack hits, as well as the severity of the blow. However, I have noticed that some people here fight with their characters listing what happens to their opponents, thereby deciding for them whether or not the attack strikes. Which way is more appropriate?

Posted by Sean Fury

Well, Sim Battle was founded on the way of, "I slice at you with my sword." and then you go, "I move to the left and your blade slices a small portion of my arm." Etc. etc. The positive things about that style, is you can get long battles, and the fighting is semi-interesting, but the style most people use (such as myself), "I slice at you with my sword and cut open your left arm." and you go, "I take out band-aid and put it on my arm" Or whatever. The positive things about this style is, you can make very descriptive attacks, you can actually attack the person instead of leaving it up to them, battles can be long, but they won't go on endlessly (I once heard of someone using the old style and going over 100 posts, wtf?), and it's just funner to actually inflict damage on your opponent.

Sorry for the ranting, I prefer the newer style, but you are welcome to use the old style if you want to. Just don't expect to many n00bs to fight you, they don't like the idea of not hitting your opponent. On that note, I'd like to mention that I am not a n00b.

Anymore.

Posted by S

Note: This board is unorthodox. A board can only support one style of sim. Any orthodox fighting will be conducted in your own threads and events, but rules will never be stickied or added. I say this because too many different rule threads gets confusing and annoying. If anyone ever wants Orthodox rules stickied, I suggest getting a new board from Jesse. A sub board would work best. I can ask, just PM me.

Posted by Edoc'sil

Whats the difference between ortho and unortho?

Posted by S

Ortho is where player A: attacks and player B: decides if it hits or not.

Unorth is where player A: attacks and decides if it lands, how it lands, and how much damage it deals.

Posted by GameMiestro

Why exactly is repping not allowed?

Posted by S

Clutters posts, abused highly for pointless comments. When you write something, it's nice that it is exclusive to its own area. If someone wants to comment, they can PM it or post in another thread. Sim Battles have always been exclusive to one thread, where only the two participants are able to post. Commenting is basically posting in that thread.

Posted by UncleYaris

[COLOR="Black"]ok, just a question: how many character profiles are we allowed to have, max?[/COLOR]

Posted by S

As many as you like, though it'd be best if you had a few good, fleshed out, profiles, rather than a lot of small profiles. I've got five characters myself, two aren't in the character thread though because I probably won't use them ever.

Posted by UncleYaris

[COLOR="Black"]alright because im the kind of guy who is really fickle, like one month ill be all "Star Wars" and next month ill be all "Mortal Kombat" soi tend to make characters portraying to those unviverses[/COLOR]

Posted by S

Quoting UncleYaris: [COLOR="Black"]alright because im the kind of guy who is really fickle, like one month ill be all "Star Wars" and next month ill be all "Mortal Kombat" soi tend to make characters portraying to those unviverses[/COLOR]

My personal preference is to stay away from stereotypes, cliche and the already used. My suggestion would be that you compile the general traits that you like about each style and make them your own by altering them to your personal taste. Not some jumble-**** character that goes Super Saiyan but has a Light saber, though. More along the lines of a character that draws from the style itself, for instance: Star Wars could be seen as a highly melee motivated action-style being that lazers are used but the most proficient use Sabers, and excel in melee combat. If you like that particular type of fighting, maybe adhere to that. Though I'd drop the "Force" like a bowl filled with napalm. Try and come up with your own unique version of it.

My character Blaze uses his life force, and though its like a "Force" type attack, it doesn't fall along the same parameters. He uses it offensively and defensively as an actual physical barrier or blade, and also uses it to increase his physical attributes. So basically its an extension of his body, while the "Force" is a little more ominous to my understanding.

Posted by UncleYaris

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]thanks a lot for the adsvice, im gonna try and creat a character ASAP. one more question though, is this the board where we post any of those online RPGs a la in teh old days when Tim ran things?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Posted by S

Quoting UncleYaris: [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]thanks a lot for the adsvice, im gonna try and creat a character ASAP. one more question though, is this the board where we post any of those online RPGs a la in teh old days when Tim ran things?[/COLOR][/FONT]

I'm not sure, that was before my time to be honest. If you're talking about running RPGs, I'd guess so but they don't usually do so hot - especially here. Not many people frequent the board enough. If you're talking MMO, there's a board for that.

Posted by UncleYaris

[COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]no not MMO. I don't know if Crono was around, but basically the character development idea was posted on the board, X amount of people registered and when it was full they basically did a D&D style RPG thing with the Sim Battle style combat.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by S

Quoting UncleYaris: [COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]no not MMO. I don't know if Crono was around, but basically the character development idea was posted on the board, X amount of people registered and when it was full they basically did a D&D style RPG thing with the Sim Battle style combat.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Yeah this is the place for that but not nearly enough of a user base to keep it going.

Posted by UncleYaris

[COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="comic sans ms"]alright, thanks a lot[/FONT][/COLOR]

Posted by Crono

Quoting UncleYaris: [COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]no not MMO. I don't know if Crono was around, but basically the character development idea was posted on the board, X amount of people registered and when it was full they basically did a D&D style RPG thing with the Sim Battle style combat.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I was around back then. This would still be the board for it, but the last few attempted have gone absolutely nowhere due to lack of activity and lack of understanding of how it works.s