Does Voice Acting In A Game Matter?

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Personally, I would say yes, no doubt. But I would love to hear what others have to say on the topic.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

For the most part, I'd say games are better off without voice acting, or at least English voice acting. Certainly there are some games that pull it off gorgeously, like Resident Evil 4, but its games like Future Tactics and Yager that make me pine for the familiar Blue Box O' Text from days gone by.

Posted by Litbut

I say it doesn't really matter. It's just nice to be able to hear actual voices in a game every now and then. But I don't stumble upon those kinds of games very often.

Posted by Big Boss

Some games don't need it, and some games are more pleasing with them, like *** of War, Metal Gear Solid and Kingdom Hearts. KH in particular does an amazing job with it, casting all the voice actors for almost all the classic Disney characters. Without a doubt, voices give more personality and dimension to a character if done right, thus making the character more interesting and as a result making the game more enjoyable. Some games, like all Capcom games, have entertaining voice acting for the wrong reasons. Let's just say games like RE: Code Veronica and RE4 would be scarier if it weren't for the combination of lame dialogue and voice acting.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Voice acting would wreck some games' plot scenes. (Super Mario Sunshine- prime example) I would hate a Zelda game where the characters spoke. I don't even want Link to say anything past 'hyaaaaah!' and that kind of stuff. The voice acting in Vice City was brilliant. It really added to the style of the game. The Resident Evil voice acting is good, but the talent of the actors is wasted on the lines. =P

Posted by Pit

I agree with X up here on the Zelda. People are complaining that Link can't speak. I myself wouldn't are if all the characters in the Zelda universe spoke, but I just can't see Link having a voice. Is that when you play as Link, the player assumes the role of Link. Link speaks, but there is no dialogue from him, so I think that's kinda cool. He groans, screams, yells, but that's it for me.

Posted by Fate

Quoting Prince Shondronai: For the most part, I'd say games are better off without voice acting, or at least English voice acting. Certainly there are some games that pull it off gorgeously, like Resident Evil 4, but its games like Future Tactics and Yager that make me pine for the familiar Blue Box O' Text from days gone by.

RE4? Need I remind you of the infamous cheesy "No, Saddler, you're small-time!" line? The voices were great, but the dialogue was hilarious. :p

Some games need voices to further a message or to enhance reality. Then there are others who simply don't need it. For me, it's a really cool extra.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

yeah man. voice acting ads to the flavor. in some cases anyway. i liked kingdom of hearts and prince of persias dialogue, and the people speeking did a reel good job. howevr, in some games, it just spoils it. sometimes, it depends on the frame rate and graphics too. i hate it when someone is saying something, but their mouth moves 5 seconds aftar they said it. that could use some improving upon.

Posted by bazariah

certain games yeah, others no

rpg games dont realy need any kind of voice overs, i always seem to remember what they were going on about if it was just written on screen and i could read it and absorb at my own pace, having voices for characters in FFX (example) somewhat detracted from the experince, dumbed it down slightly too

rpg lite games such as kindom hearts benefitted from voice overs though, as it is primarily a disney game (in essence) and it wouldnt be right if you had to read what the characters were saying

sports games well hey they can be ok with voice acting, comentaries and such

games like resi evil or gta, well hey they are realy mini movies, so tis all good for voicing

puzzle games, no way :D

so all in all, it can be of benefit to some, but it can upset the gameplay on others, it realy depends on the genre

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Not all games need voice acting. The previously mentioned Zelda one of them. Licenced games based on a movie and/or a TV show however do well with voice acting. In short, Put in only when necessarsy, and you do well.

And Links 'Hiyaaa!' is just TOTALLY Necessarsy! I couldn't imagine link not saying it!

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, it matters. Sometimes is can enhance a game, sometimes it makes it a billion times worse. Be it in the way MGS doesn't shut the hell up or the way Sonic Adventure 2 Battle has the worst voice acting in history. If it's not in terms of storyline, for example having announcers or characters screaming or muttering things during a battle, say, I think it's better to be there than not.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Quoting Speedfreak: ]or the way Sonic Adventure 2 Battle has the worst voice acting in history

Sorry, Baten Kaitos takes that glory.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I generally don't care. If it does, so be it, if it doesn't, ok. I don't mind reading a bunch of text, I do enjoy reading so it doesn't bother me. Plus, I don't feel the lack of VO makes it any less of a game. I'd much rather read text than hear whiney, ****ty voice acting.

Posted by Last Fog

I think every game is better off with voices, if they're done well, and match the animation. Sitting there reading text boxes is not only annoying after awhile, but it spoils the experience somewhat and reminds you that it's just a game.

I was really hoping that this new Zelda would have voices, all though I had little doubt that it wouldn't. The maker of the game made a comment that some people may have an idea of what Link should sound like, and if the voice doesn't match, they'll be dissappointed. This is pointless, if you ask me. As far as I can remember, Link never says anything anyway. Characters talk to him, but he never responds.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

It's implied that Link states his name from time to time. Also, in Wind Waker, he shouts "Come on!" to statues and NPCs that are following him around. Two...whole...words. That's a lot more than he's ever had before. I hope they don't give Cowboy Link any lines above the assorted noises he usually makes in this new game. Unless, of course, he shouts "[b]ZERUDA![/B]" in appropriately dramatic instances.

Posted by Last Fog

Thats just my point. Link barely says anything at all, so why can't there be voices for other characters in the game. Text just seem so archaic. Maybe it's just to stay true to the series or something. Whatever. I know it won't have any.

Posted by maian

The worst voice acting goes to F-Zero GX, VERY CLOSELY followed by SA2:B.

Anyway, it's not needed. But, like Speed said, it depends on the situation. On commentaries and small time things, it's absolutely necessary. For an adventure, it's not.

Zelda seems like the perfect target for voice acting, but it has none. Look how well it does.

Posted by boomstick

I think voice acting can really enhance the experience, alot of games can do without, but I really think that good voice acting can help you get sucked into the game more.

Posted by Axis

It's cool when they do have it in a game, it enhance's the experience of the game(as boomstick stated). But if they don't do it right, it totally ruins the game.

Posted by Bebop

If a game uses voice acting it should be done perfectly. I prefer RPGs using text.

Posted by NightmareBassX

IMO I think yes, because if your just reading text then sometimes you don't know if what someone says has a certain emotion, Like anger and sadness. And if some games do have terrible voice acting (Like Sonic advneture 2) There usually is an option to turn the voice volume down ( Not always though, some of you might not like that at all though) But when there is voice acting, good voice acting, It just makes the game Much more critical IMO.

Posted by Supermario

I think if the voice acting is good, it can add to the game and make it better. And some games are just fine without voice acting.

Posted by William

It depends on the game.

Like, Smackdown vs. RAW had voice-overs of the actual superstars, so it made it feel a bit more realistic.

Or...Xenosaga Episode I or Shadow Hearts: Covenant. They both had decent voice-overs, but the only problem with Shadow Hearts: Covenant is that the voice-overs' dialogue was slightly altered from what was actually being said on the screen, which gets annoying at times...yet makes you want to listen to what the voice-overs are saying.

Xenosaga Episode I's voice overs were great. Especially chaos. His reminded me of the Gelflin from The Dark Crystal.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting maian: The worst voice acting goes to F-Zero GX, VERY CLOSELY followed by SA2:B.

I withdraw my previous statement, the worst voice acting ever goes to House of the Dead on Dreamcast. I mean MY ***, it's the worst, seriously. Imagine what it'd sound like if they were trying to make it sound stupid. It's actually like that. In any case, Sega love their crappy voice actors.

Posted by Last Fog

House of the Dead was just rediculous. How is it possible to make it that bad?? But, do you really think it was worse than the original Resident Evil? Close call.

I don't get it, though. What actually makes terrible voice acting? How does it happen?

Posted by Crazy K

Yes I sure do think the voice acting should be atleast ok. Not crappy like in some games. I cant wate to become a game developer because I will do my best to make my games great. But yeah I think voice acting is great in a game, and when its bad voice acting its quite funny in a way.

Posted by Slade

If the voice acting is good, I mean really good, then it definitely adds a little special something to a game. Especially in character/story driven games, like RPGs. If the voice acting is horrible in a game like that, then I have a very hard time associating with the characters. I remember on older PS1 RPGs, like the Final Fantasy's, the lack of voice acting actually made them better in my eyes. I could make up whatever voices I wanted to using my imagination. So maybe games with voice acting require less imagination...?

Posted by Jarid

Yes I belive it does but if voice acting isn't good you might as well just take it out and add more subtitles.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Generally, I prefer games without the voice acting, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the ones that incorporate it. It depends, obviously. The actors have to be decent, otherwise, the game becomes a chore to play.